Sign in to follow this  
Cydone

Nights simply too dark. Like walking on the dark side of the moon.

Anyone who has camped in the middle of the woods, hours from civilization and electricity will know that night is DARK AS FUCK, dayz is a pretty accurate display of  a 0-light pollution  environment.  people need to realize there are variables to nighttime. standing in a field with a full moon, its like a grey daytime. throw some clouds in and its dark as fuck. throw the moon behind the mountains as well as clouds, and youve got yourself a solid black screen. its all dependent on location and time. and gamma/brightness lol

edit : One thing that is missing is eye adaption, after 10-20 minutes in the dark your eyes would adjust enough to see figures, but i dont think this happens at all.

Edited by eXwNightmare

Night time is too dark...?! xD

picard.jpg

Edited by MarcOwaR
  • Like 1

edit : One thing that is missing is eye adaption, after 10-20 minutes in the dark your eyes would adjust enough to see figures, but i dont think this happens at all.

This is the only thing I am talking about. The current starlit night darkness level is ENTIERLY accurate if your eyes have -not- adapted. =)

It's definitely realistic in DayZ - anywhere without a bright moon and no artificial light in real life is literally pitch black - like, can't see your own hand inches from your face black.

However, I won't play night because of the Gamma exploit. It's essentially night vision for everyone if they choose to use it. Real shame too, because running around using torch and lamps is as immersive as fuck.

• Like 1

It's definitely realistic in DayZ - anywhere without a bright moon and no artificial light in real life is literally pitch black - like, can't see your own hand inches from your face black.

However, I won't play night because of the Gamma exploit. It's essentially night vision for everyone if they choose to use it. Real shame too, because running around using torch and lamps is as immersive as fuck.

It would be interesting if the whole gamma thing was a non-issue, though. It could place a nice balance between a flashlight, torch or gas-lamp versus choosing to rely on aye-adaption.

Adapted eyes in darkness would be able to see a lone figure standing in field in the shape of a dark sillouette, but not if back-dropped by a bush, or the tree-line. The only thing that would reveal it is how the grey grass behind the shape is covered by it. A player standing with their back to a tree would be pretty much invisible without a light-source to illuminate them. In essence:

Non-adapted eyes: you can see the sillouette of your hand only if you hold it up to the sky. Adapted eyes: You can see your own palm if you look down into it, but only in a grey wash where the sparse starlight shines down. If you stood under a tree covering the star-light. You would only see the black sillouette of a palm.

Night-vision goggles are going to be powerful as hell, aren't they? I cannot say I am looking forward to them.

In all honesty, they should keep it (at least for public servers, private hives should be a different for obvious reasons) because it sort of represents night/day time in terms of how many people you will come across on each server.

That's the reason why you would want to travel by night in a RL situation if you were trying to avoid people..

Current Gamma/Brightness settings are unrealistic.

Yup.  Jacked up they enable night vision, literally.

I've found that atleast keeping clouds on very low helps.

Seriously, set clouds to very low and go find a server with a full moon nearing dawn. I turned off clouds to see if I could get more light and time jumped back like 6 hours until I turned clouds on again.

Very simple, you adjust gamma brightness? You're just ruining the fun of night time. Just turn off shadows and clouds, Night is easily playable then. The game shoots for realism and has it. Don't like it? Play on day servers. Night should NOT be adjusted to make it easier to see, it is fine as it is.

Night should NOT be adjusted to make it easier to see, it is fine as it is.

The current moonlight is not realistic.

Go outside, in a field, at midnight.  Watch how much you can see.

Now compare it to DayZ (which is equal to having a sack over your head).

The currently moonlighting is NOT realistic.  That's my point.  If it were, people wouldn't need to gamma cheat.

I living in countryside :)

sometime I need to go to friends house or meet girlfriend at bus stop in night time

I need fucking torch for this because is no streetlight here :o

is pitch black I see nothing even after eyes make adjust

when is clear night and moon is full I see something but is rare I see everything

I don't know why guys insist to find something to make their butt hurting :D

I play night time a lot, maybe 75% and I put gamma DOWN!!! for extra effect B)

I love more difficult play :thumbsup:  ;)

I love when zed is coming but I don't know nothing where is without headtorch

any guy who playing night and doing gamma exploit is pussy bitch >:(

they missing point and is make no sense play on night if you try to make everything like daytimes

I sometime feel ashame about some member of this community

there is too many with mouse size testicle and really you bringing down great game with your fears :|

• Like 2

Dunno what black hole some people live in, but even when the moon is somewhat cloud covered it's not that dark....

Moon_and_man_at_night_in_marina_beach,_c

• Like 1

What would be interesting is if staying in the dark for ten minutes made it easier to see outlines, as night-vision in the real world does. Granted, night vision in reality takes about 30 minutes to reach full effect, at which point starlight makes navigation simple.

Of course, activating a flashlight or having one shone in your eyes would ruin this effect.

What would be interesting is if staying in the dark for ten minutes made it easier to see outlines, as night-vision in the real world does. Granted, night vision in reality takes about 30 minutes to reach full effect, at which point starlight makes navigation simple.

Of course, activating a flashlight or having one shone in your eyes would ruin this effect.

This guy knows what he is talking about.

+1

Just turn off shadows and clouds, Night is easily playable then.

Night should NOT be adjusted to make it easier to see, it is fine as it is.

seems kind of insconsistent.. don` t you think ?

Few times in my life have I ever experienced a night as dark as the darkness in Dayz. Sure in the middle of the Amazon, it gets damn dark, also at the bottom of the sea. But rarely this dark, and hardly every night.

Rarely will you be in a night so dark you can't even see your own hand.

Love the nights, but its like playing in a jar full of tar.

i do night walks, as it been so dark i cant see anything (away from the city, and over cast). so much, if my torch was to fail (always have 2),i would have to stop and wait for sun

• Like 1

Dunno what black hole some people live in, but even when the moon is somewhat cloud covered it's not that dark....

snip..

eh? it's not dark in DayZ when the moon is in the sky either! wtf are you smoking?

DayZ_2014_01_05_21_00_34_944_zps4e773ed1

this is a comparable moon to the one in the game as in it's from around July time, the interesting thing about the photo is the lights you see are the only lights in an aera with zero light polution as it's a tiny little island..

desktop_zpsd216310a.jpg

Edited by Calibre
  • Like 3

The current moonlight is not realistic.

Go outside, in a field, at midnight.  Watch how much you can see.

Now compare it to DayZ (which is equal to having a sack over your head).

The currently moonlighting is NOT realistic.  That's my point.  If it were, people wouldn't need to gamma cheat.

Its not that its unrealistic that people gamma cheat....its because it is. Too many games depict night as easy to see in, when it really isnt. Yes on the rare occasion the cloud clears, and if its the right time of month then you can see reasonably well. But lets not forget this game is in Europe....lots of overcast nights where hardly any moonlight gets through. 

RV engine takes into account lunar cycle and with date settings you could lock it to full moon nights. But even now if the cloud clears and the moon is high, then it just looks like with gamma and brightness up.I would be curious to know if server date is set to realtime or locked atm. If its realtime we should see brighter nights at the right times of the month :)

...l. But lets not forget this game is in Europe....lots of overcast nights where hardly any moonlight gets through. ...

live in EU on the coast, lots of clear nights its like 60/40 clear/unclear

added:

not attack on post, just info :P

Edited by Sooden

live in EU on the coast, lots of clear nights its like 60/40 clear/unclear

added:

not attack on post, just info :P

Well last year....in England....Summer was on a Tuesday.....I think I saw a star that night lol  :)

Edited by Karmaterror