kiwi_laurel

Why ARMA Engine?

Not really, BF and COD does not have progression saves, like MMO's have. You "unlock" new weapons the more you play basicly.

COD and BF has nothing like an evolving world, its the same world over and over again, simple rounds based FPS, nothing more :)

And its not about what it means to you really, its the definition thats been established through out the years :)

Exactly like movie genres, music genres, etc.

You say it's about the definition that has been "established through out the years", but you're using your own subjective opinion of what 'massively' means here just as I am.

As it stands, using your loose definition of "massively multiplayer online", Battlefield 3 is more of an "MMO" than DayZ in its current form. Battlefield 3 not only has a higher player cap but also has character progression and stats-tracking, it is just missing perma-death. Don't even try to bring up persistence because there is currently no persistence on the servers as they have to come down and reset every 3-4 hours, just like the destructible environments and objects in Battlefield 3 reset with a new round.

I never claimed to be using some holy definition of "MMO", but don't you try to claim you are. You're not, it's quite subjective and up for debate, and for the time being DayZ remains a sandbox multiplayer game in my opinion.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

As for the MMO part, people are also assuming the server limits will remain at 40. I'll bet my left bollock they won't be that low once the game is at Beta/full release. A 250km2 map would easily support 150 players, providing the server architecture can take that sort of loading/bandwidth. No reason why not, really, if they get the server coding right.

And is 150 players/server more like an MMO? Hell fucking yes.

Ignore Kiwi, he's already proved elsewhere that he's a troll with nothing intelligent to bring to the conversation.

Anyway, this thread amuses me. People bitching about how shit the engine is when they have zero clue what goes into making one. I'm pretty sure they'd be pissing and moaning if Rocket said in 2012 that they were making a standalone and then nothing was heard for three years whilst they built a new engine from scratch despite already having one that's perfect for purpose.

Honestly, it's like people don't think for more than 0.635 seconds before starting a topic to have a whinge about something.  :rolleyes:

Ya. I realy didnt know how deep the rabbit hole whent tell i started learning Maya....... 

I'm surprised this thread is still not locked. It's people like you that spoil a great community like dayz because all you do is bitch, no fact no idea's for improvement, nothing.

You're what's wrong with today's gaming community not this game and what ever state it's in.

ps I'm claim and just stating fact. you sir are the skid mark on the underpants of gaming.

Edited by Jimbo_au
  • Like 2

You say it's about the definition that has been "established through out the years", but you're using your own subjective opinion of what 'massively' means here just as I am.

As it stands, using your loose definition of "massively multiplayer online", Battlefield 3 is more of an "MMO" than DayZ in its current form. Battlefield 3 not only has a higher player cap but also has character progression and stats-tracking, it is just missing perma-death. Don't even try to bring up persistence because there is currently no persistence on the servers as they have to come down and reset every 3-4 hours, just like the destructible environments and objects in Battlefield 3 reset with a new round.

I never claimed to be using some holy definition of "MMO", but don't you try to claim you are. You're not, it's quite subjective and up for debate, and for the time being DayZ remains a sandbox multiplayer game in my opinion.

I am talking about the end goal here mate.

The end goal is to get rid of server restart all together :) Its been confirmed.

The end goal is to get more people on the servers, its been confirmed. As Monkfish says.

And no, im basing all of this on definitions, found around the web, of what an MMO is, and i bet so where the devs when they started marketing it as an MMO :)

But fine, i will shut up and leave you guys to it, it is an MMO and it will always be an MMO tbh :)

• Like 1

I'm surprised this thread is still not locked. Its people like you that spoil a great community like dayz because all you do is bitch, no fact no idea's for improvement nothing.

Your what's wrong with today's gaming community not this game and what ever state its in.

Amen to that. Also the fact I think a lot of people are on 24/7 full retard and don't remember that this game is in alpha phase too and is just a skeleton being built upon, or have any comprehension about building a new engine from the ground up or even using another unfamiliar one.  

Have not played Just Cause 2 but the map is massive right?

1,035.55 km2 according to this.

Mind you, in Just Cause you can jump out of a jet and hang from it with a grappling hook, so I'm not sure how suitable the engine would be for something like DayZ in terms of general movement, weapons ballistics and, you know, any hint of realism.

Edited by Monkfish

I am talking about the end goal here mate.

The end goal is to get rid of server restart all together :) Its been confirmed.

The end goal is to get more people on the servers, its been confirmed. As Monkfish says.

And no, im basing all of this on definitions, found around the web, of what an MMO is, and i bet so where the devs when they started marketing it as an MMO :)

But fine, i will shut up and leave you guys to it, it is an MMO and it will always be an MMO tbh :)

In the same post you say you're talking about the end goal, then you say "it is an MMO and always will be an MMO". If the end goal is to make it more like an MMO, with a higher capacity and more persistent world then I am completely happy with this, but to call it an MMO in its current form is more like MMarketing. Don't get me wrong, it's good marketing, the term MMO is slung around like confetti nowadays so people have clearly eaten it up.

You still say you're "basing this on definitions found around the web of what an MMO is", just not ours though. They don't count.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn
  • Like 1

God, this is so funny when it is sad "MMO" "MMO". There is nothing MMO in this game and it's engine is nothing like MMO. MMO means MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE and normally MMO handls about 2000 to 4000 players. This RV junk barely handles 40 players and due to the fact that they have 1 PC running zombie spawns and loot spawns now this game is so EMPTY. They removed everything from the game, even DayZ mod looks better now.

I also bought Radeon R9 290 specifically for this game and you know how many fps do I get on Novoselki and new Cherno? 25! TWENTY FIVE FRAMES PER SECOND I get with the top Radeon R9 290 card with a i7 4770k overclocked to 4.4 Ghz and an SSD installation.

There is nothing could be done to fix this game. Even if someone launches it in 5 years hardware it will still work the same way.

Also, Cryengine which was already mentioned here could do all this stuff - big areas, lot's of trees and vegetation, object spawns and it also already includes physics and network code which does not have to be redone. It can handle lots of players on the same server due to the proper utilisation of CPU because if Cryengine sees that there are CPU cores which could be used it uses them. When RV sees that there are CPU cores could be used it ignores them.

Bohemia should wake up - we have 16 to 32 cores processors here and PC hardware stagnating with the per core performance. There is no way you can optimize something that bad. IT has to be redone from scratch or on a good engine basis which ACTUALLY USES PC RESOURCES AND NOT IGNORES THEM.

You are the only one who needs to wake up mate, its easy to judge about other people work but i dont see you having engine in a pocket to save us all! If you dont like the game, dont play it, if you dont like the engine dont use it, if you think that you smart that much , make your own engine and make better game am gona join you first

Anyone who buys the game is entitled to a opinion don't get me wrong. But what some of these idiots ask for is just retarded.

You never buy a car then the next day call back and start yelling saying the car is shit because its not a scooter. The game is what it is, there is plenty of information to make a informed decision about the game, they even warn you before buying it hell rocket even has a post saying don't buy it (yet).

If you think the game should change from being this to that you're a retard.

If you think just because you spent 30 dollars without doing any research it should change you're a retard.

I am sick of these kids buying a game then cry because its not what they 100% wanted then demand it changes.

If you read up on the game know what its about and want to be apart of that in a constructive manner suggesting things that compliment such a game then welcome aboard.

Otherwise piss off I say.

I wish companies would stick up for themselves more and just ban idiots like this.

edit so we are clear  I only have played Sa so far and only have 30 hours played and am still deciding if i fully like it.

Edited by Jimbo_au
  • Like 3

Have not played Just Cause 2 but the map is massive right?

yes and you can have like 6000 people on a server LOL. also it has some of the largest capable maps available so out of the not many this would be awesome. would suit the mod/game well. but its all irrelevant now isnt it ! :D

God, this is so funny when it is sad "MMO" "MMO". There is nothing MMO in this game and it's engine is nothing like MMO. MMO means MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE and normally MMO handls about 2000 to 4000 players. This RV junk barely handles 40 players and due to the fact that they have 1 PC running zombie spawns and loot spawns now this game is so EMPTY. They removed everything from the game, even DayZ mod looks better now.

I also bought Radeon R9 290 specifically for this game and you know how many fps do I get on Novoselki and new Cherno? 25! TWENTY FIVE FRAMES PER SECOND I get with the top Radeon R9 290 card with a i7 4770k overclocked to 4.4 Ghz and an SSD installation.

There is nothing could be done to fix this game. Even if someone launches it in 5 years hardware it will still work the same way.

Also, Cryengine which was already mentioned here could do all this stuff - big areas, lot's of trees and vegetation, object spawns and it also already includes physics and network code which does not have to be redone. It can handle lots of players on the same server due to the proper utilisation of CPU because if Cryengine sees that there are CPU cores which could be used it uses them. When RV sees that there are CPU cores could be used it ignores them.

Bohemia should wake up - we have 16 to 32 cores processors here and PC hardware stagnating with the per core performance. There is no way you can optimize something that bad. IT has to be redone from scratch or on a good engine basis which ACTUALLY USES PC RESOURCES AND NOT IGNORES THEM.

Sure the number of players could be increased but even 200 would be too many for a game like DayZ - it is the apocalypse.  4000 would basically be the combined population of Chernarus.

yes and you can have like 6000 people on a server LOL. also it has some of the largest capable maps available so out of the not many this would be awesome. would suit the mod/game well. but its all irrelevant now isnt it ! :D

Maybe someone needs to create a DayZ mod for Just Cause 2?

• Like 3

In the same post you say you're talking about the end goal, then you say "it is an MMO and always will be an MMO". If the end goal is to make it more like an MMO, with a higher capacity and more persistent world then I am completely happy with this, but to call it an MMO in its current form is more like MMarketing. Don't get me wrong, it's good marketing, the term MMO is slung around like confetti nowadays so people have clearly eaten it up.

You still say you're "basing this on definitions found around the web of what an MMO is", just not ours though. They don't count.

Well perhaps i need to be better at seeing other peoples arguments, thats true :)

But like you said, i stand by my point in this matter.

We can talk all we want about the current state of the game and if it fits an MMO or not, but tbh it doesnt really matter, because it so far from the end product, it will change dramaticly over the next 1-2 years :)

Just the fact thet they "promised" we wont see beta untill late 2014 (earliest) is a good indicator that the current state of the game is not really important in this matter.

Its the end goal we should focus on when trying to place it in any kind of game genre hehe. Although we cannot be entirely sure of the actual end product :)

Exactly like we can talk over and over about why they went with the RV engine, but thats not gonna chance the facts :)

I like it when people use common sense and turn things around ( yes at times my common sense gets abandoned for pure frustration lol i know OH I KNOW)

The arma engine itself is fantastic and a good choice for dayz.

Hopefully they can eventually just port more of the Arma 3 features into dayz such as bullet penetration, the new lighting system.

The arma engine itself is fantastic and a good choice for dayz.

Hopefully they can eventually just port more of the Arma 3 features into dayz such as bullet penetration, the new lighting system.

Fantastic? The RV engine is horrible.

might happen now they have multiplayer who knows ? :)

you know one thing that is missing from zombie games ? scarey zombies ! i cant remember any game in recent years doing truley terrifying zombies. you want a true fear of them and very well animated large groups hordes in mass big enviroments. while we know dayz is good and fun it will never on this tech achieve sometihng like 28 weeks later.

every corner house little black room you want fear of what may be in there or not . making every little journey a fooking life threatening event but with the zombie ai to match.

i think having players be the zombies is one of the only ways of truley making it realistic and not just a follow the leader type attack or chase.

Edited by dgeesio

Not really, BF and COD does not have progression saves, like MMO's have. You "unlock" new weapons the more you play basicly.

COD and BF has nothing like an evolving world, its the same world over and over again, simple rounds based FPS, nothing more :)

And its not about what it means to you really, its the definition thats been established through out the years :)

Exactly like movie genres, music genres, etc.

DayZ is just as persistent as a CS mod or CoD is, with the only difference it saves your position in the game world. Just because the map is bigger than an average game does not suddenly mean it is an mmo.

I'm surprised this thread is still not locked. It's people like you that spoil a great community like dayz because all you do is bitch, no fact no idea's for improvement, nothing.

You're what's wrong with today's gaming community not this game and what ever state it's in.

ps I'm claim and just stating fact. you sir are the skid mark on the underpants of gaming.

Imho the people who blindly defend anything because they consider every single design decision made by Rocket and his dev team to be infallible, are way worse for the community

Edited by myshl0ng

Imho the people who blindly defend anything because they consider every single design decision made by Rocket and his dev team to be infallible, are way worse for the community

here are a few

I dont like how guns handle atm - they spray everywhere and need to be more accurate or drop more as a balance. somewhat being addressed in next patch

I think there needs to be more zombies - pretty simple and also being addressed.

I think also food needs to be more rare - also being addressed.

animations are weak and need work - also being addressed

switching guns are realistic but buggy and need work - also being addressed.

I have about 100 things I want/think need changing but I am not a ass about it... everything I suggest fits within the game (if it dose not I love to hear the communities reasons why and debate said subject, no just say its shit and act like a kid) I am not asking for a rocket powered Dragon to ride simply because I paid 30 dollars for the game nor am a saying the engine needs to change for no valid reason what so ever, I also understand the game is in alpha and there is a heap to do, and will give my opinion on what should be changed, why? I read the description did a little homework n loved the idea (there idea of a zombie game not mine) and said hay I want to be a part of it.

edit: just because I love it now does not mean I will love it in a year but that is the fun imo... and if it turns out it's not what I wanted does not mean its shit or should change to suit me (that's why they call it early access on steam)

Edited by Jimbo_au
  • Like 1

DayZ is just as persistent as a CS mod or CoD is, with the only difference it saves your position in the game world. Just because the map is bigger than an average game does not suddenly mean it is an mmo.

You obviously didnt read the rest of what i wrote and the other people wrote mate, but it doesnt matte :)

Im to tired to argue atm hehe.

here are a few

I dont like how guns handle atm

I think there needs to be more zombies

I think also food needs to be more rare

animations are weak and need work

switching guns are realistic but buggy and need work

I have about 100 things I want/think need changing but I am not a ass about it and everything i suggest fits within the game I am not asking for a rocket powered Dragon to ride simply because I paid 30 dollars for the game nor am a saying the engine needs to change for no valid reason what so ever.

I think the "fanboys" (my self included obviously) are getting abit tired of listening to the same "crap" over and over again, when theres clear evidence that this game is not ment to be played yet :)

And im confident the devs know about everything you wrote there, and possibly the other 100's of thigns aswell, they have a roadmap, so things will  be dealt with when its time for it.

But i have to agree, the "internet generation" feels like they are entitled to such things because they payed for something, its becoming extremly common to complain about a game, because its not the way you want it to be, instead of trying to give feedback which could improve it :)

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 1

You obviously didnt read the rest of what i wrote and the other people wrote mate, but it doesnt matte :)

Im to tired to argue atm hehe.

I think the "fanboys" (my self included obviously) are getting abit tired of listening to the same "crap" over and over again, when theres clear evidence that this game is not ment to be played yet :)

And im confident the devs know about everything you wrote there, and possibly the other 100's of thigns aswell, they have a roadmap, so things will  be dealt with when its time for it.

But i have to agree, the "internet generation" feels like they are entitled to such things because they payed for something, its becoming extremly common to complain about a game, because its not the way you want it to be, instead of trying to give feedback which could improve it :)

Thats my point... that is the first time I have addressed/talked about the subjects and it was to prove a point, that I am not 100% happy with the game (he said I blindly support the game). But unlike these retards I did my homework and realise that 90% of the crap I am not happy with is being addressed or they cannot get to it yet. Why? (drum role please) its in alpha and as you said not in a playable state.

Edited by Jimbo_au
  • Like 1

Some people...

I won`t defend every decision made by the dev team, and i don`t even care, everything i want to suggest has already been suggested or even confirmed by the devs that they are working on it. I bought the game in early alpha because i wanted to support this vision, because i had played the mod, and enjoyed it. 

Part of what i enjoyed about DayZ is that it didn`t focus on cutting-edge graphics or fancy effects like level-up systems and unlocks. It was old-school gaming, you, your gun and your wits, oh, and interaction with other players. 

30$ to support this vision is acceptable for me, and i will thoroughly enjoy every major new patch as a new game, those 30$ will offer me months of excitement and enjoyment. 

I don`t play the SA that much, i`ve gone through all the game has to offer ATM, but next week i`ll be on again testing out the shotgun and the spray paint etc..

Meanwhile i can play any of the other metric fucktons of games that are out there. 

• Like 2