kiwi_laurel

Why ARMA Engine?

and so it begins...... world building on just cause 2 mp !!

add zombies animated and survival aspects you have possibly one of the biggest best looking capable mp games in history .i wonder whole try it. :)

imagine 6000 people on a server ! :o

build your own world, 6000 people or, great looking graphics. it will be done by someone.

Looks cool, downloading it now to give it a try.

sadly though just saw this in the FAQ

Are there AI / NPCs?

No, and they are very unlikely to be added, at least not in the same sense as singleplayer.

Hi.

Looks interesting, but I disagree about it being 'best looking'. I know graphics are subjective(beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but to me JC2 and most of the newer games people tend to say have the best graphics look very cartoony to me. No need to jump down my throat though, it's just my opinion, and no words can change that lol.

Having that many people on the server sounds pretty amazing :D

Regards.

So what engine do you suggest assuming it does what the Virtual Reality engine can do?

Map size, object count, view distance, and no loading screens. Oh, and an MMO.

Really, i'd like to know.

They can use this engine but stop being lazy and fix the most common bugs there is. And not copy paste everything from arma2 to this.

code reuse is a paradigm not lightly abandoned. coding everything from scratch would be great, but it would also increase development time and cost significantly, so i cannot blame them really..

whoever mentioned the "great" way arma handles damage - sorry, but IMHO its actually horrible. in arma, damage simulation is done on ALL clients for ALL objects and players - and then compared together. dont ask me why, i cant wrap my head around it. this signature clusterfuck of arma has been ripped out in dayz sa, and replaced by heavily simplified server-side damage calculation - so thats for this argument.

RV lacks many things of a state of the art engine.. dynamic data streaming in the background which would remove size limitation of maps, modern physics toolset including, dynamic object destruction, deformable cloth physics, fluid buoyancy etc., modern rendering engine with hardware tesselation and displacement mapping.. but this sound like a christmas wishlist - i love DayZ because it transports something that is not defined by graphics fidelity, and thats the human interactions. i think RV is horrible, but honestly, it doesnt bother me.

• Like 1

Hi e47.

Some very valid points, but iirc data streaming was introduced to the rv engine in ArmA 2. That's why chernarus was so much larger than their previous maps. Though maybe you are talking about streaming more than just the actual map.

Regards.

Honestly, what was the reasoning behind choosing to base this game off the ARMA engine?

I know that's where it began from the mod, but for the standalone, I thought it would have been a much better idea to start fresh? Rather then trying to work from something that seems so broken to begin with...

I mean, you can't polish a turd...

Because Dean works for Bohemia, so Bohemia was who made the Standalone version of the game possible, of course they needed to use their engine...

Has anyone got a chance to play the elder scroll ol? Have no idea how is that engine. But first in elder scroll the distance of view is poor, second the distance of engagement is much poor.

The day they will change the Engine will be the best day of my life
and the day they Choose Unreal4 Engine will be a dangerous day for 

me because a Heart Attack can happen to me because of happiness,
then i won't be able to play, so please don't switch to that engine thanks.

Do you think DayZ could be done if it were initially started using the Cryengine 3?  Would anyone prefer this engine over the current engine?

Just curious because it the Cryengine 3 seems to be a graphical powerhouse, but idk if it could handle DayZ

The day they will change the Engine will be the best day of my life

and the day they Choose Unreal4 Engine will be a dangerous day for 

me because a Heart Attack can happen to me because of happiness,

then i won't be able to play, so please don't switch to that engine thanks.

Hello there

You will be waiting a very very long time im afraid.

Its their in house engine. They have a wealth of experience with it and dont have to licence it to name just two of the myriad of reasons.

It's gonna stay RV.

Rgds

LoK

Everyone would need a NASA computer even more than they do now. I like the engine, but I doubt I could handle it a 50+ frames. I ran Crysis 2 50+ frames, but I dunno about crysis 3. Very beautiful engine though.

its not about graphics only. only other good engine that this game would work on is avalanche. this has already been done to death.

also giving crytek 20 percent for using the cryengine would be a big chunk of cash.

cryengine sure is a good FPS engine, but arma is a simulator engine, with more variables that can effect a players wellbeing. since dayz is a survival simulator, rather then a first person shooter with some zombies... i believe arma is the superior base for this kind of game

Edited by mosibfu

Oh okay, I gotcha. Thanks! I would love to see what the how DayZ would look though from that engine. Even if it would be unplayable lol

That would work using Cyrengine3 but yeah still need the simulator engin. They could create their own simulator with this engin, but that would take years to have just what we have right now ^^'.

But why not other engine like Unreal engin or havok ?

DayZ could of course be developed on the Cryengine. However, DayZ as you know it would be drastically different from what the game would look like on Cryengine 3.

Just getting their hands on the engine would mean that they would need new licenses, training the staff to be able to use the engine, or having to hire new employees entirely. It would be an entirely different way of developing and would likely require a far higher budget to work with. Taking on a new engine would also mean that there's advantages and disadvantages to be found, perhaps the graphical fidelity would increase at the cost of certain gameplay elements.

It would also mean that Bohemia Interactive would no longer be able to assist Dean in making the game. Unless the company itself decides to work with the engine. So practically speaking, it wouldn't do the game any good.

Do you think DayZ could be done if it were initially started using the Cryengine 3?  Would anyone prefer this engine over the current engine?

Just curious because it the Cryengine 3 seems to be a graphical powerhouse, but idk if it could handle DayZ

merging with the other engine thread.

It is a lot of work, but would of thought it would have been better to start fresh...

Build their own engine to do the job.

This game will never reach the masses purely because it will never be that polished, there issues in it that are engine based... and while we may learn to deal with them, newcomers will simply laugh and toss it aside as a half ass beta.

You dont just build your own engine. Building an engine is a huge software project and takes a lot of time and cost. You need very good programmers, with good experience in this stuff, or you will easily fail. Even if you have everything right, there is a big risk to fail. Many companies just rely on other engines because of this. Just because there are engines, that fulfill the job, that have no risk involved. You don't want to reinvent the wheel in a software project, since it's a waste of money, and too much of a risk most of the time. Yes, the engine it's a bit clunky. But is probably one of the best to use for this game.

And since they are doing a Standalone, we can hope that they touch the source and fix some of the issues, which can be quite hard also. One can only imagine what kind of big ball of mud the source code is.

Edited by nautic

Honestly, what was the reasoning behind choosing to base this game off the ARMA engine?

I know that's where it began from the mod, but for the standalone, I thought it would have been a much better idea to start fresh? Rather then trying to work from something that seems so broken to begin with...

I mean, you can't polish a turd...

Sorry, are you part of the DayZ SA dev team? No? Then you don't get to criticize since you don't actually have to work with it.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Posting from phone so I put link here when it was intended for the bottom due to some technical issues I'm having.http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/archive/2013/February/Pages/ContractsHighlightGrowingRoleofVideoGameTraining.aspx

So many pages here I didn't bother reading most threads. I think a simple point  prettier are trying to make about RV vs. <insert your favorite games engine here> is that it takes a lot to pull off the goal. And there is a trade off. No game engine exists that can give you Crysis3 looks with BF4 explosive terrains on the scale of Chernarus. But they are trying. Please note that graphics polish is the last thing on developers todo just because temp graphics are good placeholders for much of the project. I have a new found respect for RV Engine (vrb2) and Bohemia after reading this and realizing what it is that's going in to all of this.  

Oh, and this... http://products.bisimulations.com/vbs3-future-virtual-battlespace

Edited by Sinphaltimus