kiwi_laurel

Why ARMA Engine?

Please do tell us how the engine does not work correctly...

well, let's see...

- climbing ladders

- using stairs

- general interaction between player and enviroment

- every interaction has to be scripted which will always result in some kind of lag

- collision detection

- running through a building and being visible to players outside the building cause of glitching through the walls (server can't keep up)

the list goes on and i doubt that the devs are able to fix these issues because the arma engine indeed was not the best choice.

• Like 1

well, let's see...

- climbing ladders

- using stairs

- general interaction between player and enviroment

- every interaction has to be scripted which will always result in some kind of lag

- collision detection

- running through a building and being visible to players outside the building cause of glitching through the walls (server can't keep up)

the list goes on and i doubt that the devs are able to fix these issues because the arma engine indeed was not the best choice.

Most of these aren't engine related. :wacko:

Most of these aren't engine related. :wacko:

that's funny. Then why are all these bugs also in arma 2 and arma 3?

I still believe that they are more related to the engine than to the devs incompetence to solve these issues.

Personally I love the RV engine. Maybe that's from a lot of competitive A2 hours before I asked a friend...."what the hell are all these "dayz" servers that I carnt join?". Ever since then I was 50/50 A2 and dayz. Most people find the engine difficult to begin with, but when you begin to understand some features it begins o feel less clunky and more immersive.

I would class it as an MMO.....the only "typical" MMO I play is Star Trek Online (STO). Now using that as a baseline....ok so I interact with a lot of players, but due to the instances, never more than 100 at a time. Now tell me how dayz servers are so different to instances. If they hit there intended cap of 100 then its just the same. except once I load into an instance once on dayz, I have the entire game world at my disposal, not just the section I loaded, as in other MMO. 

For your things that don't work.....il give you ladders lol, always been buggy. Stairs iv never had a problem with, and I think a lot of the problems people are having are with the newly placed buildings. Those will probably be adjusted as the alpha goes on. General interaction seems fine, and stuff dosent have to be scripted anymore. That was one of the key points of the SA. In the mod everything was handled by scripts, but now, from  what iv read everything will be done serverside, and script injection will be locked down. That's one of the key ways to fight hackers aswell. Collision Detection, you mean zeds running trough walls? If so that's already been stated as not a problem with collision, but with the areas on the floor that define where zeds can run. I think back to hammer and creating a nev-mesh.... and those levels were small... imagine making one for Chernarus lol.

What are we now....2months? into the alpha....with a projected period of 1.5-2 years. Have some patience, Rome wasn't built in a day...or 2 months lol :)

• Like 2

I love how ppl rant here about things they have no idea how they work "I've played CoD I know what I'm talking about!!!!111oneoneeleven".

RV is doing quite well considering there is a lot of optimalisations and bug fixes to do.

P.S. Close it already what's the point of wasting space on server :P.

Personally I love the RV engine. Maybe that's from a lot of competitive A2 hours before I asked a friend...."what the hell are all these "dayz" servers that I carnt join?". Ever since then I was 50/50 A2 and dayz. Most people find the engine difficult to begin with, but when you begin to understand some features it begins o feel less clunky and more immersive.

I would class it as an MMO.....the only "typical" MMO I play is Star Trek Online (STO). Now using that as a baseline....ok so I interact with a lot of players, but due to the instances, never more than 100 at a time. Now tell me how dayz servers are so different to instances. If they hit there intended cap of 100 then its just the same. except once I load into an instance once on dayz, I have the entire game world at my disposal, not just the section I loaded, as in other MMO. 

For your things that don't work.....il give you ladders lol, always been buggy. Stairs iv never had a problem with, and I think a lot of the problems people are having are with the newly placed buildings. Those will probably be adjusted as the alpha goes on. General interaction seems fine, and stuff dosent have to be scripted anymore. That was one of the key points of the SA. In the mod everything was handled by scripts, but now, from  what iv read everything will be done serverside, and script injection will be locked down. That's one of the key ways to fight hackers aswell. Collision Detection, you mean zeds running trough walls? If so that's already been stated as not a problem with collision, but with the areas on the floor that define where zeds can run. I think back to hammer and creating a nev-mesh.... and those levels were small... imagine making one for Chernarus lol.

What are we now....2months? into the alpha....with a projected period of 1.5-2 years. Have some patience, Rome wasn't built in a day...or 2 months lol :)

awright, you got a point there. several points.

But i was facing all these issues (even the one with stairs and the glitching through walls and making yourself visible for players outside) in arma 2 and nowadays in arma 3. it's just not made for lots of players joining the same server i guess.

that's funny. Then why are all these bugs also in arma 2 and arma 3?

I still believe that they are more related to the engine than to the devs incompetence to solve these issues.

There are no bugs regarding ladders, stairs, "general interaction between player and enviroment" (whatever that may mean ?), collision detection or rubberbanding through walls in the ArmA games.

Hell, the only ones that even seen in DayZ are falling off of ladders (just make sure your hands are empty before climbing a ladder and this won't happen any more) and rubberbanding. And the rubberbanding has only been bad since the last patch, which should tell you already that it's not caused by the engine.

I love how ppl rant here about things they have no idea how they work "I've played CoD I know what I'm talking about!!!!111oneoneeleven".

RV is doing quite well considering there is a lot of optimalisations and bug fixes to do.

P.S. Close it already what's the point of wasting space on server :P.

well having the same glitches in multiple games based on that engine (since a decade) makes u think. I really don't need to know how to code an engine to see that there is some kind of pattern to this

Have not played Just Cause 2 but the map is massive right?

Yes although the game looks like a low detail arcade game compared to Arma looking like a high detail simulator

awright, you got a point there. several points.

But i was facing all these issues (even the one with stairs and the glitching through walls and making yourself visible for players outside) in arma 2 and nowadays in arma 3. it's just not made for lots of players joining the same server i guess.

I think thats where this network bubble thing comes in. I think of it as a prototype of the system, and hopefully they will refine it over time. Once its finished it wouldnt surprise me if BI started to use it (or something very similar) in future games to help server performance :)

I think thats where this network bubble thing comes in. I think of it as a prototype of the system, and hopefully they will refine it over time. Once its finished it wouldnt surprise me if BI started to use it (or something very similar) in future games to help server performance :)

Headless client is also a good workaround but as stated before most of the current servers would not benefit from that system only high end dedicated servers would benefit.

If they allow headless to handle all the Infected on dedicated servers I would imagine you could possibly double the amount of Infected on good dedicated servers in the end.

Hi.

Yay, more lads complaining about the rv engine. No other games successfully do what RV does. Is it perfect? of course not, but its in its own league.

I would rather play a 13 year old game called operation flashpoint, than any of these modern run and gun shooter games that were designed for children.

Meh, never mind, I tire of responding to moronic posts/threads.

• Like 4

Headless client is also a good workaround but as stated before most of the current servers would not benefit from that system only high end dedicated servers would benefit.

If they allow headless to handle all the Infected on dedicated servers I would imagine you could possibly double the amount of Infected on good dedicated servers in the end.

They are working on moving the ai to a separate core on the server, not quite the same but it should help a great deal in resolving a lot of the current big issues as they are mostly performance related. 

They are working on moving the ai to a separate core on the server, not quite the same but it should help a great deal in resolving a lot of the current big issues as they are mostly performance related. 

Yer not quite the same but like you say similar principle, as most using headless would use affinity to ensure the cores used.

Sounds cool :)

Yes although the game looks like a low detail arcade game compared to Arma looking like a high detail simulator

have you not played theHunter made on the just cause 2 engine it blows the arma scenary into space its not even in same league. arma does it well on a large scale but the graphics arnt very impressive.

I mean, you can't polish a turd...

Actually when you look at the mod-dayz and compare it to the SA this is actually quite "polished"

Also hurr durr

Of course, the Devs could off-load CPU tasks to the server by running a headless client, but then you're looking at servers having to be way more powerful.

If you've been following the devs posts at all, you'd know that they are doing something like this. I've quoted below from Rockets post: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156129-confirmed-upcoming-features-for-dayz/

Multithreaded Server

Target delivery: Early 2014 & Ongoing

To assist with increasing player and zombie numbers, we will be parallelizing the server architecture. Currently RV does offload some extra threads off to other cores, but this is for rendering and file handling - neither of which are issues for the dedicated server which uses no rendering and has a greatly reduced file footprint. This should provide some very, very dramatic improvement in performance where additional cores are available. Note, however, that this will increase the complexity of hosting DayZ - it may mean that we see a greater dispersion in the capacities of DayZ servers.

So hopefully this will mean that we get the advantages of an HC without having to have another physical process running. Of course I'd still like to be able to run an HC on another box as well. It can't hurt.

@kiwi_laurel:

You don't have to 'polish' a turd. You gold plate it, and then polish it. EA has been doing this for years...

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1

EA has been doing this for years...

Friendly reminder.

DO NOT COMPARE BI TO EA OR PEOPLE WILL RIP YOUR HEAD OFF MATE!!!!!

im all for the arma engine, toh, etc.

but check this out...looks really cool and similar idea for the engine mechanic

not sure if it can be built upon, or if its a borrowed engine.

neat looking game/engine, and its sort of free

http://www.thehunter.com/landing?src=

Edited by deebz1234

I watched some livestream for that hunter game....looks like it would be great fun to acctually play, but from a spectator point of view it was a bit boring lol. The graphics look good, but for meits all about composition (like how its put together) BI are excellent at creating maps, they always immerse me and look so realistic. Sure other games have the scale, but the look of BI's maps is just so spot on.

Gonna give it a try though while i wait for dayz patch to go public :)

Friendly reminder.

DO NOT COMPARE BI TO EA OR PEOPLE WILL RIP YOUR HEAD OFF MATE!!!!!

I don't believe I even hinted at any sort of comparison between the two in my post.

I pretty much have just a question, though I may know the answer, I want to read other people's input.

What if Dayz was developed in par with Arma 3 using the new engine? Would the development be easier or harder if it was made with Real Virtuality 4?

Cryengine 2 or 3 could do it but that also costs a fortune. There are mmos running on the very first cryengine already.

Yes lets remove 60 to 70% of the player base because of an engine, generally MMOs such as world of warcraft COULD use better engines but at the cost of LESS players, and a HIGHER price, I guarantee you if they go and use an engine like Crytech the game would PROBABLY be around 80 USD to cover the project and be remotely able to recover from the costs, trust me worst possible choice ever.

I think the engine is part of the charm. It feels like a Bohemia game.

Plus, what fun is DayZ without the chance of getting ArmA'd?