Liquid Man

Why some people even do play DayZ ?

Hello everyone,

To make things as simple as possible. I do not expect that these kind of people I am writing about is you - people on the forums who care a bit more about DayZ Standalone game, than other average player.

I was waiting for this Standalone version for quite a while and I bought it just after the release. I love the concept of DayZ and when I was younger, I played some other Role Playing games where you weren't able to talk by pushing the button like you do in DayZ. Let me just tell you this short story till I get to my point of ''why I even created this thread''.

I played Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on multiplayer mode, where this such special game in my life had it's own, serious Role Playing server with 300+ slots, while in DayZ at this moment you have servers up to 64 players. There were fractions like police, medics, firemen, army, gangs, mafias or just normal companies driven by people, such simple but necessary Gas Station. To have your own business, first you had to make your business plan on a special website of the server and tell the admins, why it's you who should get it. When you wanted to be a policeman, then you had to send a real but of your in game character CV + cover letter, then successfully pass your police training in game. There was so high level of role playing. It was really serious and big community. Most of the time the server was full and it was beautiful time in my life as far as I can remember.

DayZ remainds me of everything I just told you and it isn't even 0.5% of what you could do there. Everything you wanted to say with your in game character, you had to type in chat by using some special comands.

As I said before, I love the idea of DayZ and I do get it, that it is early alpha. However, the number of people who is playing this game even at this early alpha stage is incredible. Now is the point of the thread which are basically the poeple playing this game. I'm always trying to play some role playing, I take my character like it would be me in the time of zombie apocalypse. A lot of times, I've been attacked by some mad people with axes on the very beginning for some reason.

When I get a bit more into the game and finally, I manage to get some equipment like backpack or some weapon and ammunition, everyone who sees me is shooting to me without any warning. People just play to get their ''Mosins'' and houndreds of ammunition to it, then they hide and shoot random people for no reason. My quesion is: Why do they even buy this game ? This isn't even funny. I got really disappointed to see such big number of people doing this. Such nonsense it is to shoot everyone you see without playing any roleplaying.

What is wrong with all the people ? They just ruin everything in this game. They don't have even any idea of Role Playing. Role Playing is what this game is made for. You are the writer of the story. I havn't really seen much normal people with some brain. I know they exist, I know they are somewhere but even they are too scared to play something because they know, that most of the retards will just shoot them on the first contact.

I have played 67 hours of DayZ. Do you know my best actions which I can share with you ?

1. I just got started a new character. I was walking nearby buildings to find some food and water. There was three russian guys with everything they could possibly have. One of them aimed at me, said ''hands up'' and then asked me about my favourite football club, then I answered that I am not really interested in football and they let me go.

(It's a zombie apocalypse, they meet a random person then they scare him to death by aiming a sniper rifle to his head, then ask him about the favourite football club ? Wasn't possible to just ask such a stupid question while during the zombie apocalypse without aiming the ''Mosin'' into my head...)

2. I was playing with a friend and somehow, we managed to get to the airport. We found some good, useful stuff, then we went on the tower to see what is there. We found the biggest backpacks and was kind of happy about that. Then two douchebags got us from behind. One of them could be about 15 years old and started to shout ''Don't even fucking move!'' after those words, I didn't even moved my mouse and after 2.57 sec I got a bullet into my head. Then the other guy who didn't even got his voice mutation said something and I didn't even understand as he was talking by some kind of a rock.

3. I was playing with my friend again. We were in Electro searching some buildings. Then from nowhere, we got under heavy fire. We ran into a building and hide. We closed all the door possible, I took our first aid kit and started to bandage my friend as he got shooted. Then I did him saline transfusion to get some of his health back to be able to see better. Then three of the ''bandits'' got into our house. I had mosin with me with ammunition and I was protecting the door. Then one of them said: Put your guns down, while I was aiming at the door. Then after not even 3 seconds, he ran into the room and started to shoot to us with his M4A1. My friend killed him with his axe but then the other two got inside and killed him as well.

And... that's it. This is the role playing people are able to play nowadays ? Where are the old, good players who can think of something more than shooting everyone who get on his line of sight ? Why this kind of people even play this game ? They don't have any idea of the concept of this game. It's not a damn shooter. It's about role playing with other players. Who are they with their full bags of ammunition and with ten guns in one hand without other players to play with ? They are just a damn piece of texture which can't do shit without other people.

I do not understand why most of people play this game in this way. Try to group up with someone. Ask if he needs something, maybe you can share some food, some water. Try to interact with people, don't try to be the ''bad ass'' all the time. If you want to be the bad guy, play it in the proper way with some kind of role playing. If you have to kill someone, do it for a purpose. Think of some good action you can play with this guy. Don't just randomly shoot people, because of this, you ruin the whole idea of DayZ and it will end with private servers, where people will have to register first. It worked in the past, so it will now but really.. People, you have brain, you have only to use it sometimes.

Tell me what do you think ? Aren't you annoyed because of this kind of people ? Wouldn't you want to have some good memories with this game ?

Edited by Liquid Man
  • Like 20

I do not expect that those kind of people I am writing about is you - people on the forums who care a bit more about DayZ Standalone game, than other average player.

I bought the game to hide in the woods and shoot people.

Like you said, it's your story. You wanna talk to people and have adventures, great, I'm happy for you. I'm not being sarcastic either, have fun with it. Meanwhile I'mma sit in Vybor with 36 rounds of steel-core 7.62.

• Like 10

In Soviet Russia, thread posts YOU!

Also the reason why the mod ended up in private servers was hackers, not KOS.

Edited by weedmasta
  • Like 5

Like you said, it's your story. You wanna talk to people and have adventures, great, I'm happy for you. I'm not being sarcastic either, have fun with it. Meanwhile I'mma sit in Vybor with 36 rounds of steel-core 7.62.

Yes. It is your story and do you think it is fun to sit in the bushes and shoot to everyone ? It just shows how poor you can find yourself in this game. You have no idea about Role Playing and this game is made for this purpose. If you want to shoot people in the bushes, play Battlefield or some kind of other shooters. Because what you do is just stupid without any work put into it. For random shooting people, I wish you would have to re-buy this game for double price.

Edited by Liquid Man
  • Like 4

Fix the font and I'll might read your post.

seems like you don't have good dayZ instincts yet tbh. they come with time, you learn the art of revealing yourself to other players, its a skill that is very painful to learn!

• Like 4

Fix the font and I'll might read your post.

I just made it different as I thought it will be easier to read.. fixed. I hope it will be good now. Oo

Edited by Liquid Man

I don't think it's that everyone just wants to play it as a deathmatch, but that people want to defend themselves and their gear. The safest way to deal with another player right now is to kill them outright and not risk letting them react at all.

I almost never KOS, but I try to avoid conflict in general so usually I don't have to. I do know that if I see someone in full military gear and they don't see me, I'm probably not going to risk doing anything other than sneaking away or killing them.

Yes. It is your story and do you think it is fun to sit in the bushes and shoot to everyone ? It just shows how poor you can find yourself in this game. You have no idea about Role Playing and this game is made for this purpose. If you want to shoot people in the bushes, play Battlefield or some kid of other shooters. Because what you do is just stupid without any work put into it. For random shooting people, I wish you would have to re-buy this game for double price.

It's not stupid, it's just different. There are different skills to learn. If you look at my post history you can see I have a one-track mind so it's no surprise. If shooting people wasn't part of the game they wouldn't have given us sniper rifles, combat helmets, bulletproof vests and ghillie suits. I've never been able to get into any kind of true role-playing game. Harmony belongs in Ponyville.

If I wanted to socialize or help internet people... well, that's what the forums are for.

: )

• Like 5

DAYZ is not your game man, you probably need to go back to dungeons and dragons. There's no way you can "fuck up" when playing dayz because everything you do is pretty much something that would happen IRL. Getting killed because you are a scrub or unlucky is part of the "roleplaying" experience. And you're forgetting the game is in ALPHA, there isn't much room for roleplaying right now because there's not a lot of features. Zombies are broken. Once people gets guns, ammo, and food the only thing left to do is PVP. ( because zombies are broken ). 

• Like 1

It's not stupid, it's just different. There are different skills to learn. If you look at my post history you can see I have a one-track mind so it's no surprise. If shooting people wasn't part of the game they wouldn't have given us sniper rifles, combat helmets, bulletproof vests and ghillie suits. I've never been able to get into any kind of true role-playing game. Harmony belongs in Ponyville.

If I wanted to socialize or help internet people... well, that's what the forums are for.

: )

It will be hard for us both to get some compromise as you completely don't understand my point. I don't want to be firend with every signle person I meet and help them as much as possible. If you can't see any other option insted of killing everything what moves, then try to do it with some role playing in it. Maybe give the person a chance for staying alive for doing something for you. Be creative as shooting to random people while sitting in the bushes is the worst thing you can possibly do in my honest opinion.

DayZ isn't kind of game where you get a quest to kill 5 pigs in the village. If you want to kill someone, at least make it worth a while and try to make it more fun for both of you.

PS. Weapons and Ammunition should be extremely rare because now, there is just too easy to get them. Today, I just found a guy with M4A1 with almost 1000 bullets in his backpack. It's just sick.

Edited by Liquid Man
  • Like 1

Guess I'll be staying away from Vybor for the time being. Come to think of it, where is exactly is a good sniping position there?

There's Heros and there's bandits and then there's KoS bandits. It reminds me a little bit about religion. We all have our diffirent ways of thinking how the game should be played and we start some kind of urge of killing those people who doesn't think the same way we do.

• Like 2

DAYZ is not your game man, you probably need to go back to dungeons and dragons. There's no way you can "fuck up" when playing dayz because everything you do is pretty much something that would happen IRL. Getting killed because you are a scrub or unlucky is part of the "roleplaying" experience. And you're forgetting the game is in ALPHA, there isn't much room for roleplaying right now because there's not a lot of features. Zombies are broken. Once people gets guns, ammo, and food the only thing left to do is PVP. ( because zombies are broken ). 

I agree with you in 50%. Please, let me decide if DayZ is game for me :)

And that's why I'm writing here. It's not only PvP left because zombies are broken and there isn't anything else to do. Even with more features in this game, you won't find it good enough because it's you who makes the quests. It's you who has to think what you will do today if you meet some life human. It will never change, yes there will be more features and items but the game will be still pretty much the same.

Edited by Liquid Man
  • Like 4

DayZ can be frustrating. You can roleplay, to an extent. Just remember that you are roleplaying in an apocalypse. People kill eachother because they think if they shoot first then they survive, they kill for food, ammo and other supplies. Some kill because in game terms, they are psychopaths. Mad, violent people turned savage by the apocalypse. Some of them are actually just shitty people who want to see you suffer, in game and in real life. That is a part of the atmosphere too.

You want the roleplaying to be civil, but civilization is over.

I assure you, that if you keep playing you will learn how to die less often. You will start to learn who is trying to trick you. You will learn to stay hidden and avoid people you don't know you can trust. And sometimes you really will get the experience you want. I have helped people out with gear and weapons and I have handcuffed them at gunpoint and taken their can-openers for myself. I have seen people like you running out in the open from the forest, and chosen not to shoot because I don't want or need to ruin that guy's day.

Those guys who asked you about a soccer team. You wanted to know why they had to ask you at gunpoint. They might have been "bullying" you, but they also were protecting themselves. You could have had a hidden gun and shot one of them before they killed you. Everyone is paranoid... or crazy. It's all a part of the experience.

But here, watch this video. It might make you feel a bit better.

Edited by somethingbloody
  • Like 7

Dude what you dont understand is that most people have serious roles to play in real life. When i get back from a hard days work six days a week i want to kick back relax and have some fun, the rush that this game provides its players with is through deadly encounters not meeting up with someone and running through the woods holding hands. 

Judging by your post you sound very young and its great that you have such a vivid imagination but i want to play a tense game, not write a flipping curriculum vitae and sketch a bussiness plan  :D besides when you watch all the dayz youtubers they just dont roleplay like you want people to all they are doing is having some serious fun with some friends and you will find that is what the majoraty of players are doing.

I think a game more like rust or minecraft would suit you but an apocalypse game based on a military simulation game is not going to be your cup of tea.

P.S I lost my imagination years ago and i replaced it with video games but they dont work together anymore if that makes any sense to anyone.

P.P.S Have some beans for the effort you put into the post.

• Like 4

Hello everyone,

To make things as simple as possible. I do not expect that those kind of people I am writing about is you - people on the forums who care a bit more about DayZ Standalone game, than other average player.

I was waiting for this Standalone version for quite a while and I bought it just after the release. I love the concept of DayZ and when I was younger, I played some other Role Playing games where you weren't able to talk by pushing the button like you do in DayZ. Let me just tell you this short story till I get to my point of ''why I even created this thread''.

I played Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on multiplayer mode, where this such special game in my life had it's own, serious Role Playing server with 300+ slots, while in DayZ at this moment you have servers up to 64 players. There were fractions like police, medics, firemen, army, gangs, mafias or just normal companies driven by people, such simple but necessary Gas Station. To have your own business, first you had to make your business plan on a special website of the server and tell the admins, why it's you who should get it. When you wanted to be a policeman, then you had to send a real but of your in game character CV + cover letter, then successfully pass your police training in game. There was so high level of role playing. It was really serious and big community. Most of the time the server was full and it was beautiful time in my life as far as I can remember. 

Sound like ArmA 2 life

All that stuff you described? That's DayZ. That will always be DayZ. If you get this riled up over losing a character or two, maybe this isn't the right game for you.

DayZ can be frustrating. You can roleplay, to an extent. Just remember that you are roleplaying in an apocalypse. People kill eachother because they think if they shoot first then they survive, they kill for food, ammo and other supplies. Some kill because in game terms, they are psychopaths. Mad, violent people turned savage by the apocalypse. Some of them are actually just shitty people who want to see you suffer, in game and in real life. That is a part of the atmosphere too.

You want the roleplaying to be civil, but civilization is over.

I assure you, that if you keep playing you will learn how to die less often. You will start to learn who is trying to trick you. You will learn to stay hidden and avoid people you don't know you can trust. And sometimes you really will get the experience you want. I have helped people out with gear and weapons and I have handcuffed them at gunpoint and taken their can-openers for myself. I have seen people like you running out in the open from the forest, and chosen not to shoot because I don't want or need to ruin that guy's day.

Those guys who asked you about a soccer team. You wanted to know why they had to ask you at gunpoint. They might have been "bullying" you, but they also were protecting themselves. You could have had a hidden gun and shot one of them before they killed you. Everyone is paranoid... or crazy. It's all a part of the experience.

But here, watch this video. It might make you feel a bit better.

I understand what you just have written. After 60+ hours in the game, I am not walking the normal ways anymore. I always try to avoid poeple as everyone is just trying to kill me for some reason.

I know, that I will find myself in this game as if I get really angry because of ''noob killers'' (armed people who come to spawn points and kill new players), then I will create a gang of people who are annoyed because of this kind of people who think they are ''bad asses'' and will kill them all :)

There is always an option but thanks for your post. It makes sense at some point.

Yes. It is your story and do you think it is fun to sit in the bushes and shoot to everyone ? It just shows how poor you can find yourself in this game. You have no idea about Role Playing and this game is made for this purpose. If you want to shoot people in the bushes, play Battlefield or some kid of other shooters. Because what you do is just stupid without any work put into it.

People shoot on sight because that other player is a direct threat. You can just leave that other player alone, sure. But you can never know;

- What that players end game intent is (are they a bandit, will they try and kill me later on?)

- Whether they've seen you or not

- What locations they're heading to next, as you will want to have as little resistance for heading to your own next destination, and running into another player is probably not ideal

- And all the above points collaborate to form whether or not they could be a possible threat to you. 

Any new player could be a recently killed bandit who's just running back to get their stuff or new gear to continue their banditry. The simple existence of bandits makes everyone paranoid, and those who just camp are roleplaying bandits, so they are enjoying the game the same way you are, but are RP-ing in their own specific role.

Plus, if you see any player around a military loot spawn such as the Airfields, they're most likely looking for high powered weaponry, and that also adds to their possible threat level. And you'd be surprised at how often that the people you think are camping the military spawns, are also just there to look for loot, but happen to run into you before they get there themselves.

I play a Hero on my clan's server, and I've had to kill many people I try to interact with simply because they can't trust somebody just on their word as a human being. It is still a very realistic portrayal of a Zombie apocolypse situation. It's not like the movies where every second person is friendly and willing to sacrifice their lives for other people. Everyone will prioritise their own survival above everyone elses. And bandits will simply be out for the sport of killing anyone they set their sights on, because the devolution of society causes everyone to go back to primal roots, and anarchy takes reign.

Your idea of RP-ing is sound, but San Andreas multiplayer is a completely different setting to this game. A zombie apocalypse could possibly wipe humankind off the face of the earth. Society has crumbled. Man up and start defending yourself. Prepare to be in the situation to shoot first and ask questions later.

Edited by dickflip
  • Like 2

I have plenty of great memories of dayz mod and of the standalone (700-800 hours in the mod about 150 so far in the standalone). To me if the threat of people shooting you was gone it would not be nearly as fun. Now do I kill every single person I see? No but I think the THREAT should always be there, one thing of love about this game.

Some of them are me helping out other players by being a medic or just giving them stuff I know I can get quickly, Some of them working with a group of 5 or 6 friends and some of them solo on my own. Sometimes I shoot people if they pull there gun out at me or if I have seen them shoot others, but alot of the time I will communicate with them while staying hidden and seeing what they do from there to see if they might be a bandit or a good person.

Sometimes I meet players like myself who like to help out and alot of time its bandits, which makes the game super fun to me. Weither I am working with a group of 5 or 6, on my own or what ever, I have had a blast. Yes the game is not done and far from perfect (No Early Alpha games are), but I can see it being even more fun once a ton of new stuff is added. Maybe something like ALTIS LIFE is more like what you are looking for? Check it out if you have ARMA3.

I dont kill any fresh spawns and I usually only shoot if I feel threatened, but I still have a blast and a fun time knowing that there are bandits out there that will shoot right away, makes the game more intense. With so many games these days that are so dumbed down and childish so to speak, this dayz has been a breath for fresh air for me. Not since Ultima Online YEARS ago have I had this kind of fun for an online game with lots of other players and I feel one of the reasons is that both games it actually means something to die, you don't just lose a few exp or something you  lose everything you had and must start over. I love the feeling that someone might be stalking me or about to jump me, gotta always be on guard. Mix in the fact that it is build around arma tactics/engines which I like as a fan of old slower tactical shooters like operation flashpoint, ARMA, the first ghost recon and the first few rainbow six games. I also loved learning this map in dayz, it is so beautiful and such a joy to explore and learn to a degree now that I know it aswell as my hometown lol.

Anyways, just my two cents on why I love DayZ, maybe try playing with a bunch of friends? That way you have a better chance vs bandits and groups of bad guys? Maybe the game is just not for you, I might suggest Project Zomboid, State Of Decay and 7 days to die if you want a less in your face game than this, but still with scavenging, zombies,etc..  You cant really make a game fun for someone, maybe comeback later when more features are in the game and when its out of early alpha stage, or maybe try a game I listed above that are less cutthroat (all games I enjoy for different reasons than dayz). Maybe also you have just had bad luck, I have met probably 70% bandits and 30% survivors so far, there is some good people out there, maybe organize a game sometime with your friend and 2-3 more friends of yours and his.

Edited by kozzy
  • Like 1

Dude what you dont understand is that most people have serious roles to play in real life. When i get back from a hard days work six days a week i want to kick back relax and have some fun, the rush that this game provides its players with is through deadly encounters not meeting up with someone and running through the woods holding hands. 

Judging by your post you sound very young and its great that you have such a vivid imagination but i want to play a tense game, not write a flipping curriculum vitae and sketch a bussiness plan  :D besides when you watch all the dayz youtubers they just dont roleplay like you want people to all they are doing is having some serious fun with some friends and you will find that is what the majoraty of players are doing.

I think a game more like rust or minecraft would suit you but an apocalypse game based on a military simulation game is not going to be your cup of tea.

P.S I lost my imagination years ago and i replaced it with video games but they dont work together anymore if that makes any sense to anyone.

P.P.S Have some beans for the effort you put into the post.

Well, if you are tired after 6 hours of work and you want to relax by shooting random people, then as I said before. Try some shooters, there is a lot of them. What's the point of playing DayZ and shooting everyone you see ? It's the Role Playing which makes this game worth a while.

Tell me, why do you play DayZ, if not for the people ? If you would want just to shoot random targets and you like the military simulator style, then you would stay with orginal arma or you just would have been playing arma 3 insted of DayZ.

You play DayZ because you like the climat of apocalypse, zombies, real people playing insted of bots. Why ? Because there is always a chance for something you don't expect. Because you can interact with a person to play some cool action which you wouldn't have played in normal shooter game.

If someone is interested only in shooting random people for no reson, then shooter like Battlefield or Call of Duty is the solution in my opinion :) And if you are tired, you simply play something more relaxing ^^

Edited by Liquid Man