Sign in to follow this  
crazyandlazy

10 minute is not enough to loot dead bodies you put down

People go in groups and before looting, it takes a lot of patience to clear any other threats. If it's only 10 mins then we won't be able to loot after the long cat and mouse game. 

What do you guys think?

• Like 21

10 minutes is plenty. 95% of the time you're right next to the one you would have to put down anyway and then you would have to get out there as quickly as possible anyway.

Lingering longer than 10 minutes in one general area is generally not advised and I wouldn't do it - what would you get out of staying longer than that?

And if you're not sure if an area is secure or not so it would take you longer than 10 minutes you shuoldn't stay that long anyway from a survival point of view, as that will most likely only get you killed anyway. If you're not bloodthirsty there's hardly a reason to stay in an area you know plenty of hostiles are in.

Edited by kichilron

Completely agree. Maybe it's a performance decision that isn't permanent..? I have no clue.

After all, it's a player corpse, if we're gonna keep up with the realism then the body should be around for quite a while i would think.

Edit: 

10 minutes is plenty. 95% of the time you're right next to the one you would have to put down anyway and then you would have to get out there as quickly as possible anyway.

Lingering longer than 10 minutes in one general area is generally not advised and I wouldn't do it - what would you get out of staying longer than that?

And if you're not sure if an area is secure or not so it would take you longer than 10 minutes you shuoldn't stay that long anyway from a survival point of view, as that will most likely only get you killed anyway. If you're not bloodthirsty there's hardly a reason to stay in an area you know plenty of hostiles are in.

It's not necessarily about your particular style of play, it's about the game's theme in general. If player's bodies aren't getting up and re-animating then i would expect bodies to be there for MUCH longer than just 10 minutes, even 30 to an hour is acceptable from a 'gameplay's sake' perspective but reference my above guess.

Just because it's not a wise decision to YOU and potentially many others, that shouldn't reject the idea of dead player bodies being around longer than 10 mins.

Edited by Flight96
  • Like 6

My suggestion for how long a body to stay is 1 hour. If you die in northwest airfield, you have time to run back from the east coast and loot your old corpse if its unlooted, and if you kill someone, you should have time to loot them within an hour.

• Like 1

Why should that even be a factor? Why should anyone have to think about a timer before bodies dissapear? 

I don't understand why bodies need to disappear, most times they've been fully looted anyway.

I don't understand why bodies need to disappear, most times they've been fully looted anyway.

Because servers don´t restart in the future.

I bet anyway that the "10 min" is a placeholder.

Edited by NoCheats
  • Like 1

I agree 10 minutes is short.

Yes, often the person you've killed is nearby and you can just pop over and snag his bean sack, but that's not always the case - especially if you get into a squad and face off against another squad. If a fight is 5 vs. 5, then the time between when the first person dies and when the fight is actually over and looting can begin could easily be 30 or 45 minutes or more.

Rather than a timer that gets applied to every single corpse as soon as it is created, the ideal solution is to implement a scale and apply timers only to the oldest corpses in existence.

So, if the server can handle, say, 30 corpses without a performance hit, then there should be no timer up to 25 corpses (or so, obviously I'm estimating here).

Once that 26th corpse hits the floor, a reasonable clean-up timer gets applied to the oldest existing corpse in the game in order to "clean up" and avoid performance hits.

You could set an upper-bounds threshold, or "emergency clean-up" number to account for weird scenarios where a bunch of corpses are created all at once. So, say if the server hits 50 corpses then we go into panic mode and apply a short timer to a group of old corpses, maybe 10 at a time, in order to bring numbers back down to manageable levels.

Further, timers should respect both how long the survivor was alive and what they have in their body. A naked beachsprout who just spawned 5 minutes ago shouldn't need a persistent corpse at all. Clean it up almost immediately. Surely this would help keep the numbers down to healthy levels, since a LOT of the corpses in the game are probably newer players.

However, when a veteran with a full compliment of equipment and rations falls, the corpse should persist as long as possible (and I think my above suggestion accomplishes this).

• Like 4

Generally I think the former owner of the body should be excluded from looting.

Gamewise I think  the jogg-back-and-loot-yourself approach is counterproductive. (And yes I would also have quite some load of eq already that would be worth the sprinting....

But I think people are more vigilant if they know that they won't get back what they loose unless their friends collect it.

Btw. can you carry corpses in the game?

Edited by Calixus

Generally I think the former owner of the body should be excluded from looting.

No solution. Your friend use your stuff and you use the stuff of your friend.

We need a solution for that? No.

-after 30 min you hear flies

-each 30 min items get one condition down if not looted

-disappear after six hours (each hour another "rotten" skin)

The reason they are putting a limit on corpse-time is not to force people to act quickly to loot it, the reason is that they don't want you to be able to consistently run back once you respawn and be auto-geared in your new life, yes this doesn't stop the people who travel in packs and can loot their friends body and return the items, so this has more of an impact on soloists who travel alone and kill alone.

The time seems a bit short to me, maybe 30 mins max?

But with the current gear in-game, it's not going to kill you to have to re-gear, well I guess it could but, YOLO!

:P

The reason they are putting a limit on corpse-time is not to force people to act quickly to loot it, the reason is that they don't want you to be able to consistently run back once you respawn and be auto-geared in your new life,

Source? I don´t believe you.

I think corpses should stay, and attract zeds.

Then the zeds should eat the corpse thus making it disappear.

What would be more awesome then going into a room with 4 zeds eating away at a corpse!

I think corpses should stay, and attract zeds.

This would destroy items faster. If zombies in this area, it´s ok.

Corpses should not magical spawn them.

Edited by NoCheats

People go in groups and before looting, it takes a lot of patience to clear any other threats. If it's only 10 mins then we won't be able to loot after the long cat and mouse game. 

What do you guys think?

I think that maybe 10 minutes despawn for bodies with no loot is good to clear area under suicide tower in Solnichniy and under suicide rock in Kamyshovo.

But geared bodies should stay on ground until server restarts.

The reason they are putting a limit on corpse-time is not to force people to act quickly to loot it, the reason is that they don't want you to be able to consistently run back once you respawn and be auto-geared in your new life

sorry to thrash your theory, but it was only done to temporarily decrease server performance problems