Sidewinder24

Dyslecxi shows just how amazing 1PP only is in NEW video.

I would've jizzed my pants if I was there and the guys would've passed me by and not noticed me. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure why people are comlpaining about 3rd person at the minute TBH. I'm pretty limited on the servers that I can play on with a reasonable ping due to my location and I have no problems finding 30+/40 player first-person only servers, so what's the problem? :)

Hi.

Maybe it's due to your location/time of day that you play, but for my playtimes I USUALLY see no more than 0-8 people in servers, unless its a 24/7 daylight server, regardless of 3PP on or off, which I want no part of.

That 24/7 daylight is IMHO the worst setting to have unlocked on the official hive.

Regards.

• Like 2

Reminder to the people attempting to claim that DayZ SA will suddenly stop making money if third person is gone: It's been #1 on Steam's Top Sellers list every minute of every hour of every day since being listed.

Trying to claim that the removal of your crutch will somehow take money out of BIS' hands is absolutely hilarious and as dishonest as you are when you say you can't exploit third person.

Pffft, it has nothing to do with 1PP or skill.

Everyone knows Dyslecxi has magic hacks.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Pandema

This is the weirdest part, literally everything else in the game does the exact opposite of what third person does.

The new complex health/energy system? Makes the game harder, more complex.

Item damage/loss on kill ala Eve? Makes the game harder.

Weapon mods? Makes the game more complex.

Random spawns? Makes the game harder.

Rarer loot? Makes the game harder.

Blood bags nerfed from mod version? Makes the game harder.

Saline bag nerf? Makes the game harder.

Third person some how still existing? Makes the game easier and simpler... just... why?

You forgot the addition of.....

http://derpicdn.net/img/2012/6/27/22330/full.gif

So when is Rocket finally going to rip off the bandaid and make DayZ first person only?

The same day he hands the money back to the 3/4s of the player-base that such a bone-head move would entail. Just go play with yourselves on the 1PP servers and stop being so anal retentive about what someone else wants to do.

• Like 4

Reminder to the people attempting to claim that DayZ SA will suddenly stop making money if third person is gone: It's been #1 on Steam's Top Sellers list every minute of every hour of every day since being listed.

And 3PP has been a FEATURE during all that time. It may not take money out of their hands that they have already taken in, but crapping on a sizeable proportion of your player base is commercial suicide.

The same day he hands the money back to the 3/4s of the player-base that such a bone-head move would entail. Just go play with yourselves on the 1PP servers and stop being so anal retentive about what someone else wants to do.

I'm actually hoping he removes first person for a week, just to see how butthurt these kids get

Edited by Ineedscoffee
  • Like 3

And 3PP has been a FEATURE during all that time. It may not take money out of their hands that they have already taken in, but crapping on a sizeable proportion of your player base is commercial suicide.

ahaha of course its not.

The game is in alpha and even if it was not game features and anything within the game is subject to change.

Just like when the 50 cals were removed when they remove tpv people will cry and bitch for about a week or 2 then they will continue to play.

and just like the removal of 50 cals gameplay will be better without tpv.

• Like 2

So when is Rocket finally going to rip off the bandaid and make DayZ first person only?

When he grows some balls

He also crapped on a sizeable proportion of his player base when he removed starter weapons, and later again when he removed .50 cals. You're still here though!

• Like 3

Love this video. He says going into first person takes you out of your comfort zone. Yet he needs to use the zoom feature to feel comfortable and safe. Yeah yeah, we can go on how no game replicates the human eye but the fact is that the one click zoom is just making the game easier. How is your eye capable of visually doing exactly what a magnified scope does?

Make the game render players at a set distance and remove third person and zoom. Hardcore mode. Keep zoom in? Half-assed hardcore mode. 

If they are going to make this game brutally realistic then I see no reason to keep the zoom in this game. Go big or don't bother. 

• Like 1

Love this video. He says going into first person takes you out of your comfort zone. Yet he needs to use the zoom feature to feel comfortable and safe. Yeah yeah, we can go on how no game replicates the human eye but the fact is that the one click zoom is just making the game easier. How is your eye capable of visually doing exactly what a magnified scope does?

Make the game render players at a set distance and remove third person and zoom. Hardcore mode. Keep zoom in? Half-assed hardcore mode. 

If they are going to make this game brutally realistic then I see no reason to keep the zoom in this game. Go big or don't bother. 

That zoom is the equivalent of focusing on something with your eyes. The default zoom being general awareness, and zoom out being CQB awareness (eyes constantly shifting to pay attention to the majority of your FoV will have a hard time noticing things that are in the distance, zoom out sacrifices far range vision for close range vision, while no zoom is a balance between heavy focus and constant darting around). You cannot simulate what our eyes and brains can do with a screen, but you can do a pretty damn fine job emulating it; just like ArmA3's stances do for the range of human stances.

Edited by Dsi1
  • Like 2

That zoom is the equivalent of focusing on something with your eyes. The default zoom being general awareness, and zoom out being CQB awareness (eyes constantly shifting to pay attention to the majority of your FoV will have a hard time noticing things that are in the distance, zoom out sacrifices far range vision for close range vision). You cannot simulate what our eyes and brains can do with a screen, but you can do a pretty damn fine job emulating it; just like ArmA3's stances do for the range of human stances.

Yep, thank you saying that without zoom it is difficult. My point exactly. Make this game hard as hell. Remove third person and zoom. The only way you should be able to have optical zoom in this game is by acquiring scopes. 

Why should someone with iron sights have the same optical advantage as someone with a scope? The size of a target in my 2x, 4x scope should not be the same size as when I squint my eyes to "focus". Lol. Nitpickers!!! 

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!

Edited by The_Man

For me, it gets boring and tedious when travelling in first person. Combat's cool, but I just want something to see while running through forests.

I too want Dean and Bohemia to remove the right click zoom from 1pp servers. This way 1pp servers will become the hardcore servers.

Edited by AntonioAJC

I would've jizzed my pants if I was there and the guys would've passed me by and not noticed me. 

First off, Props to Dyslecxi. You did an awesome job of explaining and backing up your playing style and showcasing your skills. Based on this and you acting like a grown ass man, I will try 1PP as I am a 3PP'er and have never played DayZ in 1P.

This video and AJC's comment reminded me of a video I posted here a while back. I knew I was being hunted so I recorded to see how my Ghille would hold up under extreme measures. My first thought was how would have the video looked if it was in 1PP and would I have felt more or less in danger. It was a very intense moment and I'm sure it would have been heightened even more had I been in a different POV. I really like how you can get a glimpse into how different people play when they think there isn't someone 5-10 feet away watching them : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUemS9rpOE4

I am very new to DayZ and am unaware of this 1PP vs. 3PP debate. I play the game because I enjoy it and I have fun. Just some unbias perspective...

• Like 1

One issue at a time brother.

I do like how you attempt to derail the thread by bringing up zoom a feature that is there for a very real reason and is there to help with the limitations of video game technology.

TPV however has no real life equivalent, I can't magically see around corners or through objects by looking at myself from behind my body in real life.

• Like 5

Yep, thank you saying that without zoom it is difficult. My point exactly. Make this game hard as hell. Remove third person and zoom. The only way you should be able to have optical zoom in this game is by acquiring scopes. 

Why should someone with iron sights have the same optical advantage as someone with a scope? The size of a target in my 2x, 4x scope should not be the same size as when I squint my eyes to "focus". Lol. Nitpickers!!! 

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!

DayZ is going for realistically hard (or at least, it will be when third person is gone), not unrealistically hard. The human eye isn't a dumb camera, it's surrounded by muscles and filled with membranes that let us focus, scan, and pay more or less attention to parts of our entire forward facing field of vision.

Specifically, zoom emulates accommodation, or, the ability for the human eye to change focal points (focus on something far = zoom in). (Zoom out emulates our ability to see things in the entirety of our forward facing field of vision without moving our head)

Third person of course emulates nothing, it's an invisible camera on an invisible stick.

Edited by Dsi1
  • Like 1

3pp is used by insecure pussies who have to look at their character at all times for some reason. There is no 3pp in real life so there is no single argument to keep it in the game.

I have a great idea!They should just make it a server option! Like some servers can turn it off, and others can leave it on! there! problem solved. I'm a genius!

(btw i prefer 1st person for pvp without a doubt)

LoL !

You really are uninformed.

Zoom? The so called 'zoomed-in' setting is actually the proper 1:1 view setting. The game, like the whole ArmA series, defaults to a false zoomed out setting to try and compensate for the lack of FOV on your average sized pc monitor.

Regards.

• Like 4

All of his points on perception apply just the same in 3rd as they do in 1st. I've had several players roll right on by me while I'm in a bush on servers allowing 3rd. If someone's focus isn't on you or where you are, they just might not see you. I completely agree with his remarks about his adversaries making mistakes. They paid for them accordingly. Definitely was a great video anyways!

The 'see around corners' debate is moot. Everyone has the same advantage so no one has an edge. Any of the towns in game have dozens and dozens of corners, windows, door ways, and so on. If you roll into a town and you're more worried about someone seeing you from around a corner than the plethora of blind spots the environment has, you're only limiting your own awareness of your surroundings. If someone is gonna ambush you, whether they're in 3rd eyeing you from behind a corner or in 1st watching from one of the hundreds of the maps second story windows, they're going to have the upper hand if you don't see them first regardless.

Plus neither view is 'realistic' by any means. 3rd isn't for obvious reasons. The zoom function is a good point for 1st, but more importantly it lacks any peripheral vision. Any individual would have to literally be blind to not see someone lying in foot tall grass 1 meter from them wearing soldier fatigues. In 1pp there is no individual based eye relief for weapon sights, you can't see the brim of any ball cap or helmet, no darkness through sunglasses, no blocked vision from masks, et cetera, et cetera. They're both not 'realistic'. Neither can be 'realistic'. 

'Oh, but 1st is more immersive!' Bull shit. That's realized through the player's perception, not what view point they prefer to play with. This is such a stupid argument from both sides haha. It's a video game. Christ, lol.

• Like 2

I've found 1P definitely makes navigation more of a challenge. 

Without seeing half the universe around you, spotting landmarks is a bit trickier. More compass use and finding high ground than when playing in 3P

Someone mentioned that you miss the scenery and I guess that's a relevant point.

There are servers for both so It's really a non issue 

First person only servers offer much better gameplay. You really get immersed in the game. Though one problem remains with 1pp - the eyes of your character are on his neck, which makes him too short and you cant peek over stuff that you should be able to.

It'd be great if we had Arma 3's stance system. Oh well.

• Like 1

It'd be great if we had Arma 3's stance system. Oh well.

+1

It would also be great to be able to move around in buildings, and through doorways like in ArmA 3.

Though I guess ArmA 3's animations are very military-like, which is something Rocket said he tried to get away from in SA.

Regards.