1S1K-Airborne

We NEED some way to identify heros and bandits.

love it

In real life you also don't respawn or can do infinite run. Don't do real life argument in video game. Video game has gameplay.

And for gameplay there is a need for a way to distinguish bandits.

http://n4g.com/news/997776/i-wanted-it-to-be-an-anti-game-day-z-creator-dean-hall-speaks-to-games-on-net

"Hall has described the mod as something of an "anti-game" as it broke what he felt were generally considered to be basic rules of game design such as balance and not frustrating users."

lol

Edited by Hikurac

Can everyone just post "no" as the entirety of their post until this thread is gone? I can't believe someone actually wants to recreate the hellhole of KoS that is DayZ in DayZSA.

the problem with marking bandits is that it would make no one want to be a bandit. Bandits would have other bandits AND everyone else gunning for them, whereas non-bandits would only have bandits gunning for them. Very unfair.

The way to reduce KOS is to change the way the community plays, by choice

furthermore the argument that "realism is unimportant because there are unrealistic things in the game" is extremely flawed. The advantage of the game is that we don't have to deal with the boring, tedious realistic bits. This doesn't mean everything should be unrealistic. Specifically, if you instantly knew who was a bandit, it would remove the tension and drama in the game... you would know who to trust instantly

the problem with marking bandits is that it would make no one want to be a bandit. Bandits would have other bandits AND everyone else gunning for them, whereas non-bandits would only have bandits gunning for them. Very unfair.

furthermore the argument that "realism is unimportant because there are unrealistic things in the game" is extremely flawed. The advantage of the game is that we don't have to deal with the boring, tedious realistic bits. This doesn't mean everything should be unrealistic. Specifically, if you instantly knew who was a bandit, it would remove the tension and drama in the game... you would know who to trust instantly

Well I imagine that finding an idiot who don't KoS but rather gets tricked by "friendly" bandit must be very amusing (for bandit). So I do not wonder why many el banditos want's game to stay like it is.

We do not need this system, one simply wants it. There is a way to identify fellow players in-game as it stands

You actually have to pay attention, play smart and most of all be patient if you want to identify/communicate whilst keeping your ass alive.

Just no

• Like 2

I kill any lunatic crazy enough to wear a mask in the end of the world.That's my cue to KOS every sweet ass time.;)

You know I saw this title and I was all oh sweet time to make a smart butt remark on how there are no indicators in real life and tear apart why it wouldn't work. Then I read your post and your neatly underlined sentence. Nice job :)

Can everyone just post "no" as the entirety of their post until this thread is gone? I can't believe someone actually wants to recreate the hellhole of KoS that is DayZ in DayZSA.

I lied guys, I am gonna be a smart ass. Don't hate on his idea of this. He wants it, and so do other people. Just like your little cry for help of getting rid of 3rd person. He has his opinion, you have yours, and I have mine. 

When the item damage system is working properly and good loot is hard to come by (especially ammo), I think KoS will slowly go away.  Of course there will be exceptions (like people who really just want to kill other players, which is a fine way of playing the game imo), but people who are "on the fence" with how they want to play won't become killers by necessity as much.  

Also, the fact that combat logging breaks hostage taking and good firefights is another big issue.  

In conclusion...  Once combat logging, loot damage and loot levels are worked out... things should naturally work themselves out I think.

Yeah, because that has not worked in any public DayZ server ever.

Good suggestion!

Yeah, because that has not worked in any public DayZ server ever.

Good suggestion!

DayZ has never had even 10% of the features it's supposed to have. The mod was a pre-alpha proof of concept, and now we're in early Alpha.

Dean has said over, and over, and over, and over. PvP will balance itself as more features come online to give players something else to do in the game besides fight each other.

That has never happened. So, yes, it is a good suggestion. Except inherent in the suggestion is "be patient" until more features have been implemented and the game is in mid-late Alpha or Beta. Then you can start talking about how common KoS is and have it be interpreted as anything but a useless, empty complaint about an unfinished game that you choose to play in its current state.

I kill any lunatic crazy enough to wear a mask in the end of the world.That's my cue to KOS every sweet ass time. ;)

Which just adds to the KOS.  You don't know that a person wearing a mask is a bandit or a hero.  Congrats.

What about gas masks?

What about military items?

Why don't you just "as some idiots here suggest" follow the person around for 2 hours to see if they murder someone?

Without a real humanity system, that WORKS for once, nothing will change.  No amount of "new features" or "cool things to do" would fix it.  In Origins you could go raid Salvation City, only to have some band of toolbags come right up behind you and shoot you in the back while you're raiding it.  In Epoch there were traders you could go visit where you could sell items, only to have groups of heavily armed toolbags camp the traders and shoot everyone that tried to enter or leave.  New features will NOT fix the system unless there is a real HUMANITY SYSTEM in the game.

I think it's more realistic and scarier to not know about people's intentions. Look at The Walking Dead. You can NEVER tell what type of person anyone is based on how the look. It adds an element of enjoyment and fear to the game that I don't get from anything else.

Which just adds to the KOS.  You don't know that a person wearing a mask is a bandit or a hero.  Congrats.

I believe the implication is that heroes ought not to run around wearing crazy clown masks if they expect people to think they're heroes. Seems like a tiny bit of common sense.

Why don't you just "as some idiots here suggest" follow the person around for 2 hours to see if they murder someone?

That's a good question, 1S1K-Airborne. Why don't you do that? The only reasonable answer is that it takes time and effort which you are unwilling to commit.

Without a real humanity system, that WORKS for once, nothing will change.  No amount of "new features" or "cool things to do" would fix it.

Sounds like you should start shopping around for another game rather than hanging out on these forums necro-bumping dead threads just to sling a few more insults around.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

I think it's more realistic and scarier to not know about people's intentions. Look at The Walking Dead. You can NEVER tell what type of person anyone is based on how the look. It adds an element of enjoyment and fear to the game that I don't get from anything else.

Once again the "realism" argument rears it's head.

Please note in the Walking Dead that they do not KILL 90% of the living people they meet.

The same would be true of society collapsing, you would not go around murdering 90% of the people you meet, unless you're a psychopath.  And those people would end up dying quickly anyways.  Kill lots of people, and eventually you'll be the one eating the bullet.  I personally will not be murdering entire families for a can of beans.

The Humanity ID system would make the game more playable.  You could actually interact with players based on their humanity...........or you could just keep murdering everyone you see.  It doesn't CHANGE your behavior, you can still do what you want.  It just allows other players to play how they want as well.

• Like 2

Sounds nice but distances should be half of what you suggested.

I'd be fine with that.  But the key is visible at distance.  We're not talking the broken "name tapes" in the mod that showed through trees and buildings.

Can't see the player?  Can't see the ID.

I believe the implication is that heroes ought not to run around wearing crazy clown masks if they expect people to think they're heroes. Seems like a tiny bit of common sense.

That's a good question, 1S1K-Airborne. Why don't you do that? The only reasonable answer is that it takes time and effort which you are unwilling to commit.

Sounds like you should start shopping around for another game rather than hanging out on these forums necro-bumping dead threads just to sling a few more insults around.

So if a clan of heros wants to wear the clown masks to be funny, they should get shot for it.  Gotcha.

Boooooooooooooooooooring.  How bout you go stalk people for 2 hours to figure out their intentions.  Yawn.  <---------------

Free speech bud, love it, or move to a communist dictatorship.  Your choice :)   I'm staying right here.

I don't care about hero/bandit labels. But I want someway to tell who shot me / who I'm shooting. That coupled with an end to host jumping is the only way to end the anonymous - server hopping - kos - loot grab - Dayz experience , start a real community forming on each server, and let this thing reach its full potential.

• Remember that guy who bandaged you? Maybe you see him again and help him out of a jam. 
  • Remember the guy who knocked you unconscious, cut you, and took your bandages then left you? Well you survived, guess what you are going to do once you find him.

Right now everyoneis just an anonymous person shaped potential threat. It works of if you want to play kos .... but if you want some way to identify those people you know you can trust, by name, through experience... Like I said I'm not talking a system generated label, just nameplates or something.

Edited by Tenebrous

Its technical not possible to seperate some one as hero or bandit based on his or her behavior!!!

So if a clan of heros wants to wear the clown masks to be funny, they should get shot for it.  Gotcha.

Boooooooooooooooooooring.  How bout you go stalk people for 2 hours to figure out their intentions.  Yawn.  <---------------

Free speech bud, love it, or move to a communist dictatorship.  Your choice :)   I'm staying right here.

well hope they find it fun when they get killed on sight.. if you're a hero don't put on a fucking clown mask, it's simples.. we have a way of telling who are heros & bandits, what you want removed is uncertainity, and that is 100% what DayZ is about. is the person really a hero or just some shoot on sight dick running round dressed as one, the only way you can tell the difference is observation / interaction & that involves risk.. welcome to DayZ please dry all tears, you get to respawn at the beach..

I don't care about hero/bandit labels. But I want someway to tell who shot me / who I'm shooting. That coupled with an end to host jumping is the only way to end the anonymous - server hopping - kos - loot grab - Dayz experience , start a real community forming on each server, and let this thing reach its full potential.

• Remember that guy who bandaged you? Maybe you see him again and help him out of a jam. 
  • Remember the guy who knocked you unconscious, cut you, and took your bandages then left you? Well you survived, guess what you are going to do once you find him.

Right now everyoneis just an anonymous person shaped potential threat. It works of if you want to play kos .... but if you want some way to identify those people you know you can trust, by name, through experience... Like I said I'm not talking a system generated label, just nameplates or something.

Yep, sounds good to me.

I like detailed death messages.  It fosters friends and enemies alike.  We had one clan in the mod that we were friends with, and several that we were enemies with.  It was fun to help the friends, and kill the enemies.

there should not ever been any distinctions visabily between friendlies and bandits.

thats a console type addition and thats the last thing this game needs.

Im sorry but i disagree with this idea. It makes the game too easy and takes away the tension of an encounter. If you dont know someones intentions then talk to them. But make sure your in a position to shoot them if they are hostile. It is indeed a console idea and we (meaning the gaming community and companies) need to get away from catering to the masses all the time.

Some games it works, because they were built for the masses. But this is DayZ, it was not built for casual folk. So lets not try to change it. This game has been a breath of fresh air from the constant yearly releases.