1S1K-Airborne

We NEED some way to identify heros and bandits.

In the mod, with a system of skins, you still never knew who was who without interaction, and sometimes that meant death. I doubt it would be any different in the SA with an armband or otherwise. 

These are all related from the mod:

I had a bandit, an avowed and proud bandit, once deliver me my coyote backpack and guns and ammo from my body that had been sniped by a HERO. I expected some punch line, or death, but nope, he just brought me my shit, from kilometers away. He killed the hero first, then brought me my stuff. Go figure.

I once had a hero chase me down from behind (and this was when I was new to the game and didn't know shit), and start shooting at me. I didn't have a mic at the time, and didn't know they ran faster than survivors, so eventually stopped, turned and tried to blast him with a makarov. I lost. I didn't react so well to that.

I once had a survivor ask me for help over side chat on this private hive, and I was in a huey, so I flew down from up north to outside of Cherno, and decided to give him the heli. He jumped in it and killed me with one of the guns. And then laughed about it.

I've learned from all of these interactions. But in terms of player attitude, you never know.

When I started playing the game I had no idea of the metagame. For me, it was about solo survival, and I had a rude awakening. Over time I learned what the game IS. Not what I wanted it to be, but what it IS. I love it more, now. I used to get frustrated with people playing the game in ways that I disliked. But you know what? That was my problem, not theirs. 

We're all gonna die. Play the way you want to play. I am firmly against any form of involuntary player identification.

Once (at band camp), at NWAF outside of the northern barracks, I had to log out suddenly. Not combat log, no one was around. But, of course, that meant that I'd be there when I logged in. When I did, in a ghillie with a DMR and a camo g36 in my backpack, the NWAF was buzzing. Right in front of me a bandit exits the barracks. I couldn't shoot. I just felt that it was unfair, since I had just logged in there.

I won't change who I am and my approach because of the way others play the game. 

• Like 1

No, we don't have that in the game.

Stalking people and hoping they don't see you for an hour just to see if they murder someone for no reason is super boring.

And 90% of encounters are decided very rapidly when whoever it is runs blindly at you with an axe.  There is no "I'm friendly" talk.  Almost every single time we've approached a player that was armed with at least an axe they're NOT friendly, because the last 30 times they met a person that person tried to kill them.  Most people don't even use the stupid voice comms, even after repeated attempts to contact them.

So YOU can go play on your Vanilla server, and WE can go play on our Hero VS Bandit server.  But you're 100% opposed to letting US play how WE want to on our OWN server that we're PAYING for.

Got it, seems reasonable..........not...........

Ok so how is it gonna be less boring with "armbands" or what ever?

How is it gonna make people use comms more?

How is it gonna be any different, then the pvp clusterfuck we see in the mod?

You can play what ever way you want on your server, that you have payed for, i dont care.

I just dont see how this will change the KOS, humanity didnt change it in the mod, so whats the difference here?

Im sorry mate, im not trying to offend you, i simply dont understand how it would change anything.

I honestly think the "hero" idea is kinda of dumb. I have NEVER come across a person or group that has offered to help me with gear OR asked me where I got shot at. ALL groups and people I have come across or fresh spawns and people out to kill me. I always roll on populated servers so yeah, I have yet to see someone helpful.

It's hard to tell if a person is a bandit or not in this game when EVERYONE is cautious and WILL shoot. If I was solo and had a gun and I saw a group of guys with guns. My first thought is to either hide, or shoot at them. Because 99.9999% of the time if I approach them with a gun, they are gonna shoot me and take my gear or handcuff me and take my gear. My group of friends and I aren't bandits, but ANY PLAYER we come across geared or semi-geared, we tell them to stop, drop, and roll and we take their weapons. There really is no "bandit" in this game. It really is survive or die. I guess the only "bandits" I would consider are those KOSers on fresh spawns, but that's about it.

The point being, I hope the DayZ peeps fix other stuff more worthwhile...this can wait.

What if only heroes got some special skin? So you don't know if there neutral or bandits, but heroes are identifiable...

I really miss the hero skin tbf. it gave people a reason to be nice... you'd get a nice skin for your hard efforts

I got bandit skin just from defending my self from hostile players. Skin feature was a bad idea, and poorly implimented. caused a lot of bugs. Such as hero skin plus silenced pistol caused a dupe.

You can play what ever way you want on your server, that you have payed for, i dont care.

I just dont see how this will change the KOS, humanity didnt change it in the mod, so whats the difference here?

Im sorry mate, im not trying to offend you, i simply dont understand how it would change anything.

Good, we'll play Hero VS Bandit on our server, and you can play KOS Vanilla.

It didn't work in the mod because the system was FLAWED.  You gained humanity for killing zombies.  There were 30 different hero and bandit skins.  The system was BROKEN so it didn't have any effect on the gameplay.

See sometimes, I feel the same way. But that's usually when I get KOS'ed or screwed over in some way.

The beauty of DayZ is you don't REALLLY know who you're going to be interacting with. It's a mystery. Their motivations can be pure, evil, or completely hidden.

In a zombie apocalypse, it would be the same way. You're not 100% sure who's going to be a friend or an enemy. That's what makes it such a tense, desperate and exciting scenario.

If I tend to go up to people, I'll say "May I please steel some of your blood?" I don't make a very good bandit. 

• Like 2

I some how managed to team up with a survivor tonight and along the way we came across about five additions players who did not KOS. One of the things that I love about this game is how random it can be sometimes. 

Nope. It will ruin the game. Dayz is unique because of we don't know who is good guy, who is bad guy, just like in real life

Good, we'll play Hero VS Bandit on our server, and you can play KOS Vanilla.

It didn't work in the mod because the system was FLAWED.  You gained humanity for killing zombies.  There were 30 different hero and bandit skins.  The system was BROKEN so it didn't have any effect on the gameplay.

My point exactly, the humanity system it self is the flaw.

We need something different, something new and creative.

Not a point based system, because it can never anticipate every single encounter we can see in the game, thus making it "flawed" like we saw in the mod and the mods of the mod :)

We NEED some way to identify heros and bandits. 

Try this:

"Are you a hero or a bandit?"

Possible answers:

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Maybe.

4. *YOU ARE DEAD*

• Like 3

if i had some assless chaps you wouldnt have a problem remembering me !

with luck Dean will stick to his guns & preserve anonymity .

• Like 1

Tl;dr No we don't need a way to identify heroes from bandits. Reason? Realism.

I'm gonna pull something that all the negative people about bandit/hero have said for a long time to all you guys who say "no! Realism!"... this is NOT supposed to be ALL about realism. Your buddies in all your KoS-clans have said it a billion times.

Having skins instantly takes away the fear and anxiety of making contact with another player, you wont need to stalk them, you wont need to touch base with them and you wont need to trust them because based on their skin you already have those answers with a 99% certainty, a skin base system means there's no risk and all reward which is a boring game mechanic imo.

I think it'll just take away from a large part of the fun that dayz has to offer, which is uncertainty.

• Like 2

how the hell could the game or other player ever know wether i'm going to go full-bandit or full-jesus when i meet someone? because i do both, depending on my mood. that's what makes the beans taste so sweet in this game; you never know.

I really LOVE the realism quotes.

So you could draw blood and bloodbag others with absolutely no training?  You need to eat every 5 minutes?  You'll starve to death in 1 hour?  You can run faster swinging a 10 pound axe.......than you can run with a 10 pound gun?

The game has different NOT REAL things in it to facilitate gameplay.

• Like 1

So YOU can go play on your Vanilla server, and WE can go play on our Hero VS Bandit server.  But you're 100% opposed to letting US play how WE want to on our OWN server that we're PAYING for.

Got it, seems reasonable..........not...........

What do you say to the people who want rocket launchers and capture the flag?

Just implement the already existing humanity system from dayzMod http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Humanity which i expect will happen anyway since its already part of dayz. I expect standalone to be at its core an exact copy of dayzmod with extra features, better interaction and better graphics. Obviously it may not be implemented but I hope it is. 

Edited by nms886

Oh hey, its this thread.

Search function.

Also, no humanity system. I want to play how I want to play with out the game deciding that because I shot 10 people I now dress like a super duper scary badman or get a frikkin superman costume because I bloodbaged someone a number of times.

No humanity.

No psychic powers that give me a little indicator when I look at someone.

I want uncertainty and tension in DayZ when I interact with people, not a shiny feature that tells me exactly what kind of a person this guy is.

• Like 1

The killing and straight up battles and ambushes make little sense, so they're not realistic at all in the minds of many people. Making murderers part an identifiable [fictional] clan they belong to or part of the military/gov would add more realism.

I thought the payday mask was the unofficial way to identify bandits?

Not at all in my experience. I've met quite a few friendly people with those on. Edited by Thane
  • Like 1

I really LOVE the realism quotes.

So you could draw blood and bloodbag others with absolutely no training?  You need to eat every 5 minutes?  You'll starve to death in 1 hour?  You can run faster swinging a 10 pound axe.......than you can run with a 10 pound gun?

The game has different NOT REAL things in it to facilitate gameplay.

I think you're forgetting that adding the blood bag/drawing blood in itself is a more realistic/authentic than not having it at all considering you have a blood level in this game. Just like how NOT having a marker on your arm to tell people your intentions is more realistic.

Also, you can go hours without eating if you properly feed yourself. Again, you don't starve in an hour unless you were already not in good shape. Maybe you should watch the stomach/water/energy explanation video if you haven't already.

All being said, I almost never KoS. I have yet to be in a situation that required it due to my adjusted style of play. After my first few days of playing and getting KoSd I finally adjusted my playstyle and my last character has been alive for several days now. I only thought I'd mention this because the humanity system supporters seem to think those who oppose it all love to KoS. I simply love the tension and mystery surrounding player interaction that makes the game what it is.

Off to go help some new spawns.