1S1K-Airborne

We NEED some way to identify heros and bandits.

You can still do that with hero / civ / bandit armbands.  But if you're looking to be a hero, there's a high humanity penalty for killing another hero.

Bandits can feel free to continue to KOS their way to happiness.  But heros would avoid shooting other heros.

first; why should i care about my humanity points?

second; a "hero" is trying to kill me suddenly. i shoot him down as a selfdefense -> i get -1000 humanity. fail system. it's impossible for the game to know if a kill is "justified" or not. situations vary too much.

Come on guys! 

What this game is all about? Is it somekind of post-apolcalytic survial simulation or a care bears game for kids, where everybody hold hands and ran into the sunset?  <_<

To not know whom you can trust or not is part of the game in my opinion and shouldn't be destroyed by any hero/bandit labeling. 

• Like 1

I haven't read every post, and I appreciate what OP is trying to say, but DayZ isn't technically a game; it's a social experiment.  You can't balance human nature, and you can't penalise people for killing other people in a game about survival.

Add non exploitable humanity system (as sugested in previous posts) and hero/survivor/bandit skins (that you can choose to wear or not) and you will your social experiment.

Come on guys! 

What this game is all about? Is it somekind of post-apolcalytic survial simulation or a care bears game for kids, where everybody hold hands and ran into the sunset?  <_<

To not know whom you can trust or not is part of the game in my opinion and shouldn't be destroyed by any hero/bandit labeling. 

amen.

making a hero/bandit system would break this game.

• Like 1

what if i roll up my sleeves and still shoot you in the face?

Then you'd turn into a bandit & couldn't roll up your sleeves anymore...

I'm definitely against MAKING people wear a certain thing based on their actions.  Just putting an idea out there that would, at least to me, be an acceptable alternative to flat out skin change.

Then you'd turn into a bandit & couldn't roll up your sleeves anymore...

basicly forcing you to be a bandit until you die? no need to even try to be friendly anymore? you might aswell start shooting everyone you see.

great system.

There is no balance.   bandit  Heros bambis bambis bandits heros bambi, 

there are no bandits, heros or bambis. only people.

how you approach morality should not require a gamified incentive or penalty.

the thing that perplexed me early on was some person here raging in indignation that without a cool skin and body armour he has no incentive to 'be a hero' - as if the definition of altruism is a badge you get to show off. or worse, to have a competitive advantage that you need to earn. how calvinist of you, sir! point being, if you mean well and aim to do kind by others, you will do so without necessarily seeking some kind of reward - much less stomping your foot in a hissy, entitled shit-fit DEMANDING one. what kind of a hero are you supposed to be? Game aside, the sort of people like you are whats wrong with the world.

Edited by yessaul robinovich
  • Like 1

I would just like to know who Killed me..... This way I could track them down and stuff and Axe in em; more than once and on any server they go to.Just to see how they like constantly being killed. Every single encounter I've had has ended with someone dead. I trust no one anymore!! Seriously..... Knowing the name of the person hiding in a bush 300M out would be great. I'd at least know the name of the scared lil bitch that sniped me. It's a game..... A game that means when you Die; your gear is lost. In the world of games; It's hardcore. I normally don't get angry when I die. But when I'm picked off and there was no rhyme or reason and I never saw it coming!? That gets my blood boiling. 

All ya humanity system folks need to give it a permanent rest. Based on what I know and have heard as long as Mr Hall is the primary creative force it will not happen. It is counter to everything he has said about his vision for DayZ. He is on the record as saying he would leave the project before he would change his vision.

I am very confident in saying more than 50% of KOS is due to victim error and preventable.

Give the team time to finish the product. You might be surprised.

We meet 10! survivors in the course of the last 6h of playtime. ALL where "friendly" if that entails they wherent hostile up front. ( besides the 2 milgear folks at the airfield we left them alone as quick as we could )

we covered each other and we talked. we saved a dude from his 5x zombie trail he ran away from. We gave out food to another couple in orange raincoats :D

We are carefull and let our instincts dictate for the most part of the adventure so far.

The game dosent need a appearence based distinction between hero/bandit.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

basicly forcing you to be a bandit until you die? no need to even try to be friendly anymore? you might aswell start shooting everyone you see.

great system.

Nope, you could work at killing bandits and not killing heros and get back into hero status.

Have to defend yourself by killing a hero (-1000)?  Find 4 bandits (+250) to kill and you wipe out the humanity difference.

The system auto corrects itself.  If you farm hero status only to go KOS bandit, double negative points for killing 2 heros or 2 civs in a row.  So you can't KOS your way to hero, or get hero and then go KOS crazy.

Heros will stay heros, and bandits can freely KOS till their hearts content.

Every single encounter I've had has ended with someone dead. I trust no one anymore!! 

Yep, pretty much sums up Standalone.

Kill everyone you see, or get killed.

No player interaction, unless you like being a bullet / axe sponge.

great system.

You kinda missed what I was getting at.  I'll try to spell it out.

Say you have negative humanity and you want to show it off.  You can grab a hoodie and wear it IF YOU WANT and you can put the hood up IF YOU WANT.  You don't have to.  It would be your CHOICE!

but a bandit couldn't roll up sleeves just like a hero couldn't put up a hood.  Get it?

you would not be forced to do anything you don't want to.  It would just be an extra thing you could do based upon your humanity.  So long as you wanted to do it.

People who act like this is a true to life simulation are ridiculous. It's a fucking game.  You get shot and wrap torn up shirts around you and you're good to go. You can run infinitely yet step of a 3 foot high rock the wrong way and you're dead.  Peer over and around corners in 3rd person.  Yea, realism

I don't need to read 20 pages to give my opinion.

We don't need it, and I certainly don't want it.  Its gamey and unrealistic, so its no from me.

If people want it in private servers.. go for it, i don't give a rats ass.

No player interaction, unless you like being a bullet / axe sponge.

That's not how i see it.. I've meet lots of people with lots of interactions.. I've neither died nor killed anyone.. Of course it will and does happen.. but that is the fun of it.

Edited by MadTommy

"I would love to see Rocket getting chased for 20-30 minutes by some 12 year old with an axe." 

Hahaha i would also like to see this

• Like 1

You kinda missed what I was getting at.  I'll try to spell it out.

Say you have negative humanity and you want to show it off.  You can grab a hoodie and wear it IF YOU WANT and you can put the hood up IF YOU WANT.  You don't have to.  It would be your CHOICE!

but a bandit couldn't roll up sleeves just like a hero couldn't put up a hood.  Get it?

you would not be forced to do anything you don't want to.  It would just be an extra thing you could do based upon your humanity.  So long as you wanted to do it.

People who act like this is a true to life simulation are ridiculous. It's a fucking game.  You get shot and wrap torn up shirts around you and you're good to go. You can run infinitely yet step of a 3 foot high rock the wrong way and you're dead.  Peer over and around corners in 3rd person.  Yea, realism

even if i chose to play as a hardcore bandit, why the hell would i advertise it? like carrying a big sign that says "IMMA F***ING BANDIT. SHOOT ME NOW"

you would have to be a retard to wear any bandit signs.

Edited by komadose

I don't need to read 20 pages to give my opinion.

We don't need it, and I certainly don't want it.  Its gamey and unrealistic, so its no from me.

If people want it in private servers.. go for it, i don't give a rats ass.

Hate to break it to you but it is a game.

If you want real then go outside.

even if i chose to play as a hardcore bandit, why the hell would i advertise it? like carrying a big sign that says "IMMA F***ING BANDIT. SHOOT ME NOW"

you would have to be a retard to wear any bandit signs.

Pretty much everyone I run into KOS's anyway.  So that would boil down to how good you can actually play and stay concealed in your environment.  Get the drop on someone and they surrender & they'll see you for who you are & either know they are going to be robbed/killed.  Also, maybe not base banditry so much off of killing but off of what you loot from a live/cuffed player.

I'm just throwing ideas around.  Meant to stimulate thinking.  Not create an argument for or against.  After all it's not my decision.  Just trying to find a different way to look at the issue.  It could be an added goal for someone if they wanted to pursue it.  Another end-game.

and there was no rhyme or reason and I never saw it coming!?

i won't even say 'welcome to dayz'.. so much as 'welcome to life on earth'

i guess this game is doing something right in that we're having this conversation.

Pretty much everyone I run into KOS's anyway.  So that would boil down to how good you can actually play and stay concealed in your environment.  Get the drop on someone and they surrender & they'll see you for who you are & either know they are going to be robbed/killed.  Also, maybe not base banditry so much off of killing but off of what you loot from a live/cuffed player.

I'm just throwing ideas around.  Meant to stimulate thinking.  Not create an argument for or against.  After all it's not my decision.  Just trying to find a different way to look at the issue.  It could be an added goal for someone if they wanted to pursue it.  Another end-game.

fair enough, but we could just decide right here and now that if you wear a black t-shirt, you are a bandit. devs don't need to do anything about it.

• Like 1

tbh..that seems to be more of a problem in the NA region. Everytime i play with my NA folks..."we" or "someone" dies. If i stick to the EU folks...we useally get along. ( but ofc, if shit hits the fan, we are down for it....thats why we are here right... :D )

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

lots of crap was poured over the guy who started this topic but he is kind of right.

you say in real life there is no way to distinct bad guy from good guy. you are wrong - in most cases there is. we are learning this skill all our life and it is called observation. We can rather quickly decide if the guy we met few minutes ago is a threat or not. It is how he looks, how he moves, smiles and talk. It is how he looks.

Have you ever met hardened criminal? Or a drug junkie? Or a murderer (they say you are passing by a murderer seven times in your life on average)? You probably could say that something is not right with this guy, same with someone who is just pretends to be friendly.

You can do lot of these things in DayZ - you can hear what and how guy talks, you can see what gear he has etc,etc.  The only problem is that in most cases the other guy is so scared (let's be honest - 90% of KoS is because someone is scared of losing their m4) that he tries to kill you first.

There are few solutions to this:

-people become more experienced, so they are no longer scared of losing their gear as they know how to get it back

-make guns/ammo more scarce so there is smaller possibility of two armed people to meet.

-make helmets do their job, so freshspawns cannot knock out a person with one hit. axes should be able to do it though.

-more zombies which respond to gun fire and are more deadly - so shooting at someone is the LAST RESORT (this will promote freshspawns attacking geared up players)

am I missing something here?