1S1K-Airborne

We NEED some way to identify heros and bandits.

Forcing a certain appearance for any reason is a silly bad idea, do you guys, for example, assume all the people you see on the street with a spiffy mustache to be villains ?

Edited by Mookzen
  • Like 1

No, stupid idea glad the skins are gone. You cant be deceitful with a bandit skin. Also to easy to manipulate e.g what gives hero skin? Healing players?, because I could be in a bandit squad as medic and get a hero skin just like in the mod.

I love how you can customise your clothing and maybe when more clothing is added people could dress to look scary or friendly and thats enough.

• Like 3

We had a system like this in the mod and it didnt work, so why implement it again?

Just dont understand.

The mod system was horribly broken.  Losing humanity for killing bandits, dying, gaining humanity for killing zombies.  You could farm your way to whatever humanity you wanted without having to kill a single person.  Plus no identifiers or they had hero / bandit skins that all looked basically the same.  The WarZ humanity system is just as broken.  Seems like the developers can't figure it out that you need a VISUAL identifier at distance that you can see like an armband or face wrap or mask to make the humanity system work.

The MOD system was broken, but they could do a GOOD system in the Standalone.

KOS is the easiest way to play the game.  It takes no skill other than to follow / hide / camp until someone's back is turned, and pull the trigger.  You don't have to discriminate between targets, you just shoot everything that moves.  See someone, shoot.  Passed out player, shoot.  New spawn, shoot.  Guy obviously alt tabbed for a sec, shoot.  KOS is COD kiddie mode with perma death.

A true Hero / Bandit system would add a new dynamic to the game that would be really cool.  I'm really sorry that scares the shit out of some of the KOSers, how bout you man up?

Also why are you so afraid of being identified as a bandit KOSer?  Would it make the game too hard for you?

• Like 2

Forcing a certain appearance for any reason is a silly bad idea, do you guys, for example, assume all the people you see on the street with a spiffy mustache to be villains ?

Yes. And he is going to bare knuckle box me and fast piano music is suddenly going to start once we start boxing.

• Like 1

we defintely do not...

and we need about 10 less per day threads about this...someone close this garbage

• Like 3

I like not being able to tell what someone is. In real life, you wouldn't be able to know unless they were an obvious psycho or something.

The way it is now, any contact you have with another player can be very tense because you don't know if they'll help you or try to shoot you in the face, and I really like that.

I'd rather we keep things as they are in the sense that players would remain anonymous to classifications like bandits and heroes, so you need to be careful with anyone and everyone you meet.

Also, more realistic. Which is good.

You would still have that unease around every player you met based on the DayZ Origins mod which had the bandit and hero skins you see below (many many more actually). I was shot by as many survivors wearing the stock uniform than bandits, if not more so. I was also shot by heros. You wouldn't lose that aspect of the game! But you as a careful playing survivor would now have some bandits to hunt.

...and the WWII reenactment is NOT realistic, 90% of the violence makes no sense compared to the same situation represented in real life.

To be clear, I don't want full skins, which i don't think we'll see anyway because the clothing system took a lot of effort and we don't need them anyway. Just a subtle, faded red armband. This is just to show what Origins had and that i was effective. Its a great mod and worth some time playing, at least on Tavania, which is beautiful.

dayzoriginsheroes.jpg

dayzoriginsbandits.jpg

• Like 1

we defintely do not...

and we need about 10 less per day threads about this...someone close this garbage

So YOU get to play the game the way YOU want.  But WE can't play the game the way WE want.

Got it.........hypocrite,  The bandit / hero topics will continue until something gets fixed.  Deal with it.

• Like 6

Hmm hard topic.

I get where the OP is coming from its alot easier to be a bandit in this, than not

I don't really like the idea of a visual indication that a player is a bandit though.

I like the fact that for anyone who plays as a none bandit, its harder and you have to play alot more of a thinking mans game rather than kill, loot and repeat.

The good thing for me though is that there are less KOS on 1st person servers than on 3rd person servers.

I guess playing the easy role goes hand in hand with playing in easy mode.

• Like 3

You would still have that unease around every player you met based on the DayZ Origins mod which had the bandit and hero skins you see below (many many more actually). I was shot by as many survivors wearing the stock uniform than bandits, if not more so. I was also shot by heros. You wouldn't lose that aspect of the game! But you as a careful playing survivor would now have some bandits to hunt.

...and the WWII reenactment is NOT realistic, 90% of the violence makes no sense compared to the same situation represented in real life.

To be clear, I don't want full skins, which i don't think we'll see anyway because the clothing system took a lot of effort and we don't need them anyway. Just a subtle, faded red armband. This is just to show what Origins had and that i was effective. Its a great mod and worth some time playing, at least on Tavania, which is beautiful.

Great point.  I'd be fine with armbands, or face wraps, or whatever.  Does NOT need to be skins.  I like the look of the different clothes.

Taviana rocked!  Much much better than Chenarus in my opinion.  Better looking, better driving / flying, better loot distribution, better everything!

• Like 1

So YOU get to play the game the way YOU want.  But WE can't play the game the way WE want.

Got it.........hypocrite,  The bandit / hero topics will continue until something gets fixed.  Deal with it.

You are right people should play the way they want to, but if there were hero and bandit skins they would be forced on everyone even those that don't want them which IMO is not a good idea.

So YOU get to play the game the way YOU want. But WE can't play the game the way WE want.

Got it.........hypocrite, The bandit / hero topics will continue until something gets fixed. Deal with it.

uh no. We are playing the game as is not how we think it should be. You're the hypocrite for trying to change the game for your needs Edited by Caboose187

In mod humanity system was exploitable. Surivors needed to kill too many people to be marked as bandits and you could farm humanity to be a hero who KoS.

With non-exploitable system (2 kills as surivor to be bandit, 2 kills of survivor as hero to lose hero skin etc with no humanity farming) it would be okay.

I think its okay if its mildly exploitable because then you retain the unease around survivors that everyone claims to like so much.

Gas mask, ballistic helmet, TTsKO jacket and pants - the uniform of KoS players.

Nope, look at screenshots from hero clans on the forums, all geared... Me, a survivor, all geared.

Heres the thing, a zombies vision is based on human vision, so it makes sense to wear camouflage clothing and its a non-undead based apocalypse, so its been caused by someone biological and possibly still airborne. So it makes sense for gas masks to be used by people just trying to survive. As far as the other masks, friendly people wear those and i've talked to quite a few people wearing them that were totally friendly. So it doesn't help either. Nothing currently does besides the actions of a in-game avatar.

Edited by Thane

How about when a player talks over VOIP. You own character thinks something like "I have a bad feeling about this guy" or "this guy sounds okay" a la the thirst messages. Degrees of trustworthiness wound depend on humanity.

That way revealing your humanity sort of depends on your own decision. You can be silent or let others know you can be trusted.

I think farming humanity is fine with this method. In real life often horrible people can seem really trustworthy. If a bandit wants to develop a lying SOB character, let him.

• Like 2

Devs spent a lot of time making clothing so you can dress however you like > nah lets have none of that and lets put people into boxes.

The system we had in the mod was already broken like someone said. Coding this properly will be very very difficult if not IMPOSSIBLE and there will always be ways to abuse it like :

New spawned bandit looks like normal > kills normals/hero's > gets banditskin (how you lot like to see it)

New spawned bandit looks like normal > gets killed by normal > normal that shot bandit out of self-defence gets bandit skin > is now a target for normals AND hero's AND bandits because he shot a normal-LOOKING guy who was gonna kill him.

New spawned bandit looks like normal > kills everyone but his first kills will be bandits > gets hero skin > kills bambi who thinks he encountered a "good guy".

There is no good or bad in this game there is only SURVIVAL. Its always 100% your own fault if you die ;)

Edited by KarbineR
  • Like 2

I feel that there should be something subtle, an example would be that the more you do bandit activities the more you facial expression turns from Neutral (default) to sad and then to pissed off. Then for Hero activities the opposite, your facial expression turns happy. Then it would be hard to tell from a distance but if you're close and trying to figure out if this person is really friendly this could help. Also, this encourages bandits to cover their face. Which sort of is the case now, but they would have a reason to do so and more of them would be wearing masks. 

• Like 3

You are right people should play the way they want to, but if there were hero and bandit skins they would be forced on everyone even those that don't want them which IMO is not a good idea.

^this

Sorry to say, but you can most definitely put this issue to rest, because this will never happen. Rocket said this a gazillion times. There will be no visual queues to identify a persons playstyle. You want to know why? Because it would take away a certain playstyle from people. Lying! "I'm friendly I'm friendly" *BÄM* Shot in the back. And rocket does not want to force that on players. So nope, no way to tell if someone is a bandit or hero through visual "effects".

Also Bandits are not a problem. If you disagree, then DayZ is not the game for you. 

Edited by phoboss
  • Like 1

we defintely do not...

Agreed.  It's this topic, nameplates, and KoS / Serverhopping threads.  If we don't get about 100 per hour, Dean might shut down the DayZ servers (apparently).

A true Hero / Bandit system would add a new dynamic to the game that would be really cool.  I'm really sorry that scares the shit out of some of the KOSers, how bout you man up?

Also why are you so afraid of being identified as a bandit KOSer?  Would it make the game too hard for you?

Good question.

Maybe they are afraid that non-KoS players would had it easy to band together on bandit-skins? Who knows.

Devs spent a lot of time making clothing so you can dress however you like > nah lets have none of that and lets put people into boxes.

The system we had in the mod was already broken like someone said. Coding this properly will be very very difficult if not IMPOSSIBLE and there will always be ways to abuse it like :

New spawned bandit looks like normal > kills normals/hero's > gets banditskin (how you lot like to see it)

New spawned bandit looks like normal > gets killed by normal > normal that shot bandit out of self-defence gets bandit skin > is now a target for normals AND hero's AND bandits because he shot a normal-LOOKING guy who was gonna kill him.

New spawned bandit looks like normal > kills everyone but his first kills will be bandits > gets hero skin > kills bambi who thinks he encountered a "good guy".

There is no good or bad in this game there is only SURVIVAL. Its always 100% your own fault if you die ;)

It will require about ~5-10 kills and it eventualy would work as intended.

Just make it so:

as survivor:

- kill 2 survivors or 1 hero to be bandit

- kill 2 bandits to be hero

as hero:

- kill 2 survivors or 2 hero to become survivor

as bandit

- killing bandits will not make you survivor

- didyn't figured yet what bandit should do to become survivor again, maybe visit all churches on map or something like that.

No humanity farming. Just numbers.

• Like 1

nooop ! 

im a good guy because i can convince you that i dont believe in KOS and that we should be friends and that you can help me carry all your new stuff .... ops ...

open slowly with subtle hesitation in my voice & a believable concern .

probe your intelligence & intentions with comments & questions regarding philosophical & moral choices .

repeatedly reassure you that i mean no harm & that i can be trusted .

the end starts long before you speek . its not my fault or yours , its my determination to psychologically help you prepare for the wonderful world of _______ ( pleas fill in the blank ) not that it matters .

im just trying to help , please let me help ! PLEASE ! .. PLEASE !

do not take this out of context this is not who i am merely a subtext of what you will encounter . learn the signs , react to the flagged behavior .

and you will never have to rely on a mechanism or feature to tell you if some one is trustworthy . now dont you feel like you can trust me ..... meh dosent work every time .

• Like 1

Come up with a real world equivalent and I'm all game, until then, this just favors a certain playstyle and thus is not going to happen. 

It will require about ~5-10 kills and it eventualy would work as intended.

Just make it so:

as survivor:

- kill 2 survivors or 1 hero to be bandit

- kill 2 bandits to be hero

as hero:

- kill 2 survivors or 2 hero to become survivor

as bandit

- killing bandits will not make you survivor

- didyn't figured yet what bandit should do to become survivor again, maybe visit all churches on map or something like that.

No humanity farming. Just numbers.

There has to be a way to get yourself back into Hero status if you have to defend yourself from another Hero player.  Or if someone starts out with a few hero kills, but really wants to play hero.  The key is to keep the humanity gain small for bandit kills, and no humanity change for blood bagging, zombie killing, etc.

You can make the humanity system relatively unexploitable by issuing different points for kills:

Kill a hero = -1000 humanity

Kill a civ = -500 humanity

Kill a bandit = +250 humanity

* No humanity gain or loss from any other actions.  No healing points, zombie killing points, etc, etc.  Just strictly based on player kills.  You'd have to kill 4 bandits for every hero killed if you wanted to stay positive.

* Maybe add a double penalty for killing 2 heros or civs in a row.  That would definitely fix people farming humanity, just so they could KOS later.

uh no. We are playing the game as is not how we think it should be. You're the hypocrite for trying to change the game for your needs

So your opinion on how the game should be played = Valid

Other people's opinions on how the game should be played = Invalid

Got it.  Thanks for proving my point.

• Like 2

Come up with a real world equivalent and I'm all game, until then, this just favors a certain playstyle and thus is not going to happen. 

Certian playstyle like non-KoS?

But curently game favors KoS playstyle and this is fair?

• Like 2

Taliban in Afghanistan.  Notice most of the idiots don't get on the videos with their face exposed?  Most are full head wrap.

Same thing with gang members in most countries.  Most do their videos with bandannas covering their faces.

Same thing with bank robbers.  Ski masks.

• Like 3