1S1K-Airborne

We NEED some way to identify heros and bandits.

HEAR HEAR! bunch of narcist bitches. its 100% your OWN fault if you die, stop being a target.

Hero and Bandit costumes were the worse features of the mod.  Want to be a hero?  Then do heroic things.

Nope. Didn't work in the mod.

KoS by heroes many times.

Great interactions with bandit skins many times.

Its never only black and white - much of the interaction between players in DayZ is so circumstantial. That is the beauty of DayZ. This suggestion dumbs it down - simplifies it.

You want less kill on sight? Make the game more hardcore. Give players more to do than just run around fully geared after an hour off spawn. Make PVE as threatening as the PVP. Make players worry about dying of thirst, hunger, disease, make zombies a real threat, make it a interesting to be able to ignore it all and go and survive in the woods away from civilisation.

This is what we need - not some red flag on 'bandits' to hold your hand. 

Edited by Nocturnal

Hero and Bandit costumes were the worse features of the mod.  Want to be a hero?  Then do heroic things.

Exactly.  You take a risk by helping someone.  That's what this game is all about. Risk vs Reward.

The killing on sight will be toned down when the zombies are fully implemented and their AI fixed.  That way people won't just be able to fire at will around cities without drawing the hordes attention.

They will need to speed them up slightly so they can easily catch players though.

No, the system was flawed, the skins was brillaint.

• Like 2

Theres a few ways thats it can be done actually.

Start a thing wear a hero will wear a certain item of clothing like a certain hat. no masks.

I don't see a point in it but if it gives you some security that 1/3 guys that you see wearing a red hat one day be a medic. I wear all black, black uk vest, black hoodie, black cargos

Here's the quick post I made. I hope you guys don't mind that I used your names. But wanted to give credit. 

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/165503-herobandit-system-made-by-the-players/

So you posted in the thread about the topic, saying that you used quotes and ideas from said thread to make ANOTHER thread of your own about the same topic........................................................

Its the retarded game play that is spurring the retarded suggestions...

I understand, but it's *EARLY* alpha and people make 1,000+ threads a day on the same topics already discussed by the devs.... I don't even.

Make heroes blue and bandits red, and make it so they can only kill each other, and make a kill count. YES

Oh wait... there are SHITLOAD of games like that, and we sure didnt pay 25€ for this one to be like that...

Make heroes blue and bandits red, and make it so they can only kill each other, and make a kill count. YES

Oh wait... there are SHITLOAD of games like that, and we sure didnt pay 25€ for this one to be like that...

No one have EVER suggested something like that.

Exactly.  You take a risk by helping someone.  That's what this game is all about. Risk vs Reward.

Yeah, 90% risk of getting killed by the guy you just gave an axe and some beans to is soooooooooooo worth it.

Being a hero is not possible unless you like dying and losing all your stuff on a regular basis.

And quit with the stealth / friends crap too.  It's way too easy to see people in this game as is.  The only way to be stealthy is hide in a bush.  If your friends are covering you, and some bandit spawns into the barracks while you're looting, can't very well fix that, right?

I just hear a lot of "wahhhhhhhhh we don't want anything that will stop the constant kill on sight mentality of this game".

I'm just wondering why you aren't playing COD or BF?  You can get a lot more kills there.  This game should be MORE than that.

• Like 1

Why are people playing an ultra-hardcore game, if they want things made easier for them?  I don't understand that at all.

The entire point of this game for me, is it's hardcore nature.

If I see a player in the distance, I make the conscious decision of whether I want to risk trying to help that player or avoid them entirely.

If they were somehow marked from far away, that avoid the entire mental conflict of making that decision.  Thus DayZ is no longer DayZ.

• Like 1

No, the system was flawed, the skins was brillaint.

Yep, my point exactly.

I don't want to force skins, I just want some small indicator.

• Like 2

Why are people playing an ultra-hardcore game, if they want things made easier for them?  I don't understand that at all.

If I see a player in the distance, I make the conscious decision of whether I want to risk trying to help that player or avoid them entirely.

If they were somehow marked from far away, that avoid the entire mental conflict of making that decision.  Thus DayZ is no longer DayZ.

Except that DayZ have had bandit/hero skins for ages, which worked out quite well. Except for the rare few who abused it.

No one have EVER suggested something like that.

Nope noone, thats why not even one thread about this exists, and im talking to myself here, yes that is true, good job...

Nope noone, thats why not even one thread about this exists, and im talking to myself here, yes that is true, good job...

Yeah, you are actually.

Because no one said anything about making something that simplified.

There's been discussions about bringing a better system for the good ol' bandit and hero skins, or small indicators to someones history, and such.

Yeah, 90% risk of getting killed by the guy you just gave an axe and some beans to is soooooooooooo worth it.

Being a hero is not possible unless you like dying and losing all your stuff on a regular basis.

And quit with the stealth / friends crap too.  It's way too easy to see people in this game as is.  The only way to be stealthy is hide in a bush.  If your friends are covering you, and some bandit spawns into the barracks while you're looting, can't very well fix that, right?

I just hear a lot of "wahhhhhhhhh we don't want anything that will stop the constant kill on sight mentality of this game".

I'm just wondering why you aren't playing COD or BF?  You can get a lot more kills there.  This game should be MORE than that.

1.  No intelligent hero arms the person they're helping.  Feed, hydrate, administer medical help.  Do not give them a weapon, that's asking for trouble (and pretty retarded).

2.  I've helped plenty of people who didn't turn around and try to kill me.  Primarily because of #1 above, and the fact that I keep the ball in my court at all times.

3.  Yeah, there is plenty of stealth in this game.  If you're just running around like a madman, yeah you're going to be seen.  I've managed to sneak around many unaware players.  Most of the ones I've helped I've approached via stealth.  So practice makes perfect I guess.

4.  No I don't want to discourage players playing the way they want to in DayZ.  I'm not even a bandit, I play a medic.  So I'm not concerned with killing people.  I certainly don't want some lame ass arbitrary system floating over players heads so I can walk around in easy mode and have nothing to fear in a game about fear and survival.

5.  This comment shows how much you (don't) pay attention.  I'm not a bandit, nor do I want to be.  But I don't want to strip every ounce of challenge out of this game, as you and others seem to want to.  Sounds like you're the one who should revert to COD or BF since you clearly want and need some shit simple system to clearly draw a line between friend and foe.  

Sounds like this just isn't the game for you.

EDIT:  Hero/Bandit skins are a fucking horrible idea.  Absolutely terrible.  I shoot a guy for whatever reason, and *poof* my entire wardrobe and look changes....regardless of the reason.  Stupid....

Edited by Bakercompany86
  • Like 2

I think that generally Rocket and crew are taking the best path- making this as realistic as is possible.

This means no bandit skins, and no warnings. As the game becomes more complete, with more to do outside cities, better ways of surviving with tents, fires, hunting and so on, that players will naturally drift out and there will be less bumping into murderers all the time.

As zombies become more numerous and more dangerous, people will tend to group up and there will be less direct pvp in cities too.

I say keep it the way it's heading, danger all all.

It's putting a new dynamic in the game.  Something to do besides shoot EVERYONE you see.

Play minecraft hardcore no respawn.  Oh wait, there are different versions of minecraft that you can choose.  Can't do that here!

Nope, you make a decision to either go try to kill him, run away and hope he didn't see you, or ignore him only to probably get killed by him later.

That's the problem, there IS NO DECISION right now, if you see someone, and you do NOT kill them, there is a 90% possibility that they will come back and kill you while you're looting.

Dean made the "destructible items" to deter killing players.  So he IS aware of the issue.  Now whether he chooses to address it effectively is up to him.  But a lot of the community will move on to a new game because 100% deathmatch permadeath is boring.

Yeah, you are actually.

Because no one said anything about making something that simplified.

There's been discussions about bringing a better system for the good ol' bandit and hero skins, or small indicators to someones history, and such.

Why simplifie at all then, just leave it be, and let players decide what they want to do on their own, if you want to be a hero than be prepared to die 99% time (not really true at all), if not then dont. 

Its not like you become a fireman because you like the firemans car do you ?

It's putting a new dynamic in the game.  Something to do besides shoot EVERYONE you see.

Play minecraft hardcore no respawn.  Oh wait, there are different versions of minecraft that you can choose.  Can't do that here!

Nope, you make a decision to either go try to kill him, run away and hope he didn't see you, or ignore him only to probably get killed by him later.

That's the problem, there IS NO DECISION right now, if you see someone, and you do NOT kill them, there is a 90% possibility that they will come back and kill you while you're looting.

Dean made the "destructible items" to deter killing players.  So he IS aware of the issue.  Now whether he chooses to address it effectively is up to him.  But a lot of the community will move on to a new game because 100% deathmatch permadeath is boring.

Man I'm sorry but this sounds like a bunch of crying because you've been killed.

Time to find a new game buddy.

My character has been alive for almost a week now.  I've encountered players, friendly and otherwise.  I'm still alive.  I don't kill on sight unless they're pointing a gun at me.

Again, this just isn't the game for you.  Pretty sure Rocket said he's not interested in doing bandit/hero skins or any sort of stupid morality system anyway.

EDIT:  Bandit/Hero skins or a morality system isn't adding a new dynamic to the game.  It's not giving people anything else to do.  It's just making it easier for those who are tired of being killed on sight.  This game doesn't need an easy mode....become a better player.

Edited by Bakercompany86

The only a system will discouraged KOS or Bandit is a Karma system, attached to the player profile overall - it wouldn't cure all but I would could help. A huge part of what makes this game so interesting are the PVP encounters, it would be ruined if you could tell meters away if someone was bad/good. Another thing that could help a lot are bullet proofing jackets of sorts, that way even running into bandits may not result in your death.... 

Why simplifie at all then, just leave it be, and let players decide what they want to do on their own, if you want to be a hero than be prepared to die 99% time (not really true at all), if not then dont. 

Its not like you become a fireman because you like the firemans car do you ?

What?!

Did you understand what I said before?

You clearly have NO CLUE what you're talking about.

It has been discussed about ideas on how to implement a better system than the old bandit and hero skin system, ideas for player identifications, and many others. Which is GOOD. If the system behind them can be made to be less abuse friendly.

For example: To make sure that if you get shoot at first by Player X, you will NOT get a Kill Count if you kill them in self defense, but you will get a Kill Count IF you murder someone. (This is the ABSOLUTE BASIC, and there should of course be a lot of calculations behind it)

Or ways of somehow identify if someone is a bandit except if that person shoots you in the face.

Or to somehow figure out that he's a Hero/Survivor when he's friendly for a long time and DON'T shoots you in the face.

Because that is a flawed system. Just like the old bandit and hero skin.

• Like 1

What?!

Did you understand what I said before?

You clearly have NO CLUE what you're talking about.

It has been discussed about ideas on how to implement a better system than the old bandit and hero skin system, ideas for player identifications, and many others. Which is GOOD. If the system behind them can be made to be less abuse friendly.

For example: To make sure that if you get shoot at first by Player X, you will NOT get a Kill Count if you kill them in self defense, but you will get a Kill Count IF you murder someone. (This is the ABSOLUTE BASIC, and there should of course be a lot of calculations behind it)

Or ways of somehow identify if someone is a bandit except if that person shoots you in the face.

Or to somehow figure out that he's a Hero/Survivor when he's friendly for a long time and DON'T shoots you in the face.

Because that is a flawed system. Just like the old bandit and hero skin.

Stereotyping should be the only method of bandit identification.  Just like in real life.

See a guy in full camo with a gas mask and a ballistic helmet holding an assault rifle?   Might be wise to avoid that person.

Why the hell would you approach those people anyway is beyond me.  They clearly don't need your help.

• Like 1