Sign in to follow this  
Petrollium

Admin privileges and server time rant

Server admins have already demonstrated (in the mod) that, if given ANY power they try to make the game "easier", "more playable" and "what their community wants" in turn, ruins the overall DayZ experience. If you go back and watch some of Rocket's streams hes more than excited to babble on about the new lights! The "community" hates it and flips the off switch. Who the HELL wants to play DayZ during the day. All. The. Time.  Every single one of you server admins are ruining the experience by turning nights off.  It loses the reality of it for me, to have the sun in the same place on every facking server.  I LOVE playing at dusk.  The time crunch to get supplies before dark really adds to the near non-existant atmosphere of the game.  (Let's face it, there's entirely too much color and the game is too happy and bright. Also, the server admins, yet again, ruin the experience by making it sunny all the time too - by the way, over 130 hours logged and have yet to see it rain, thanks admins!) 

Is it that hard to just rent a DayZ server and not screw with it? All the server admins out there complaining about having certain privileges taken away from you need to stop and look around.  You did it to yourselves. You're doing it to yourselves.  Look at the pathetic excuses for server admins who host  servers just to farm loot. Its incredibly pathetic.  I'm going to love life when server time is hive controlled and admins cant have passwords, are unable to kick people (because they aren't in your fancy, weak, "guild") and no fucking donor load outs < for god's sake this is even worse than 24/7 day you money grubbing pansies.

/endrant

tldr; Rocket, the same community that you are making the game for, is ruining your game.  Admins should have ZERO privileges over the average user in their server.The only tools in game should be a restart button and maybe an official "this guy is hacking" command/button. Please don't give too much control to the guys. Look what happened to the mod: TDM? I think not, this is muthafackin DayZ you CoD kiddies!

/doubleendrant

/startquestion

Does anyone know of a 1st Person Only, Weather enabled, 24 hour day/night cycle server with an on average of 10+ people online?!?!

Edited by Petrollium
  • Like 10

Stay on official servers ten and stop your crying.

Like in all games admins do whatever they want because they pay to run the server.

Well right now there seems to be a problem with servers. 2 days ago I made a little test. Logged in at 10h30AM,  2h00PM, 5h00PM, 9h00PM and finally 11h00PM (all eastern time)  in about 15 to 20 different servers. (private, public, Vilayer CA, GA, NJ, DA, Gameservers, MPGS) and they were always on the same time. I've been looking for a Day/Night cycle one for the past 5 days or so, but haven't found 1. Interestingly enough, even the private servers stating "24/7 Night only" in the description were on the same day time as the others.

I'd love to let my server roll into night time... The main problem with that is loot.  It doesn't take long for loot to disappear off the server, and since the only thing that respawns the loot is a restart, I have my server set to the standard 4 hour restart.  When Dean finally makes it so loot and zombies start spawning on their own, I most likely will set my server to restart once per day with an accelerated day/night cycle.  Until then... my server will remain a daytime server so that everyone who visits it will have the opportunity to find some loot.

You're complaining about server admins having too much control.  You want server admins to be able to do nothing but report suspected hacking. I see.

Yet, from your other post, you actively admit  server hopping for 0 pop servers, and state you are looking for a passworded server and a guild.  The very things you rail against in this post. And, you have the gall to complain when another player joins ruins your "little world" you're enjoying when you're the only one on, stocking up on loot:

"I work my nails off trying to find a working 0/50 server every time I wish to play dayz. And every time, after 30-45 minutes of me having the time of my life in my own little world, some guy joins in. It upsets me because I worked hard alt+ctrl+del and alt+f4ing out of countless unworking servers to find my diamond in the rough and these scrubs just get to join in after all my work of finding an extremely low pop server. Theyre sharks. Granted it isnt my server, I'm looking for a passworded server that will let me play on/possibly join up in their ranks."

Yeah. It's not 'your server.' It's a server someone else pays a lot for, each month.  

You're contradicting yourself, and complaining about 'every single one of you server admins' is wrong on multiple levels.

You may go now.

• Like 1

TLDR:  "I want to dictate how servers run without paying for the privilege to do so."

Don't like the way servers are being run?  Pay for your own and show us how it's done.  Until then, stuff it.  

FYI, there are no "donor loadouts," or weather settings.  Admins control time, resets, and kicks.  That's it.

• Like 1

You sound hella mad, nobody is forcing you to play on 24/7 day servers bruh.

The OP is being a bit mad, but I can sympathise with him. I find it almost impossible to find a server where the sun isn't locked in the southern sky 24 hours a day and I miss the old days of the mod where I could simply log on after working hours and find a GMT-3 server so I could experience the dying of the day.

OP makes a point.

Admins are abusing their privilege. They're placing their character at a barracks, looting it, restarting the server..repeat.

• Like 1

OP makes a point.

Admins are abusing their privilege. They're placing their character at a barracks, looting it, restarting the server..repeat.

I have yet to come across that.

My only gripe about servers right now is that there are no automatic loot re-spawns so loot can become very, very hard to come by in the later hours of a server rotation, this forces the 4 hour server restart rule which means it restarts in the evening before night.

The other problem is we need a warning for server restarts like in the mod it told us way before it happened.

This issue will only be resolved when we get automatic loot/zombie re-spawns then servers can run for longer into the night.

It loses the reality of it for me, to have the sun in the same place on every facking server.

I agree to this.

When sun moves you can use your position to adventage to be have sun blinds your enemies etc. But when sun stays at 12:00-14:00 all the time what's the point.

Having watches has no point too becouse of this.

Servers should enforce night time.

Our server crashes regularly and has no option to set the time.

Each time the server crashes it resets the mission time.

The Devs should make a server restart at the in game time it Crashed or was Restarted.

They should remove the ability to set the time as an option. (if some have it)

All admins have the option to inform players that the server is being restarted by them. (Global Chat ingame when logged in as admin)

But like I say 90% of our server restarts are crashes.

They should remove message of the day as well I don't give a shit that Billys server has a TS and this server is blablablablablabla Awesome 24/7 day blablablablablabla.

Edited by BL1P

Agreed, we don't need a "DayZ for casuals" of the game. And no, you don't have the right to do crap on a server you payed for yourself. This isn't Quake. Check the rules that Dean put in place HIMSELF during the mod. The privileges of having a server you payed for, is that you can pick the timezone so it fits your RL schedule, and that you can enforce anti-cheating yourself without having to depend on another server admin, as well as being certain that you won't lose your gear because the server went offline all of a sudden, never to come back. (when they add tents)

Edited by Ratiasu

I would play on night time servers if the damn flashlight didnt shine through walls and alert everything that I am there, even in a room or building with no windows.

Just so some of you people have a clue... The Day/Night cycle is kinda broken and we cannot; as Admins; fix it. So we either have to deal with all night, all day or switch the times between night/day manually. When this is fixed you will see proper Day/Night cycles.

We don't have proper GMT offsets, we can only set the time of day at which the server resets at. If we set it to local time it sets it to night and stays night due to the time resetting when the server restarts. We can only do manual warnings if we know when the server is going to restart. As Admins; at this point in time; we are very limited on what we can do. 

I think rather than complaining about something you know nothing about, it's best to research the problem first before putting it on the Admins. 

Like in all games admins do whatever they want because they pay to run the server.

This seems to be a very common misconception. 

Just because someone rents a server gives them absolutely no right to do whatever they want. They break the rules their server gets pulled.  Simple.

• Like 1

When the server restarts it should be +4 hours to the last start. So we never go back in time. each restart should pick up where the last one ended. SIMPLE

@doxholiday if you're going to research me at least research 100% don't pull the info that supports your point and no one elses. I posted that on the mod. Over a year ago. Back when, in the mod, hacking was rampant and playing a full play session on a populated server was impossible due to thunder domes and rabbits spawning crates for everyone. Lrn2notbias.

I have zero issue with clans. What I take issue with is the kids who rent servers just to farm loot and more likely than not, its a clan server. I bet dox is under 18. God damn dude. Way to pick and choose what to read. Next time I post something, unless you read everything, don't post. YOU can go now.

Anyways, yes I'm mad. I'm sorry Admins don't have the opportunity to control the server as they wish. I was unaware of the inability to set correct start and restart times, etc. You can't blame me for thinking the contrary (that admins were abusing power) I learned that admins abuse power from... guess who? Admins. Why should I think any differently.

When the server restarts it should be +4 hours to the last start. So we never go back in time. each restart should pick up where the last one ended. SIMPLE

But it doesn't and that's the problem among other things. I'm sure it will be fixed at some point but anyone ranting about 24/7 day or night hasn't a clue as to what options Admins have at their disposal, which isn't much at the moment.

Night time as it is, is completely useless due to gamma settings.  Why would I play on a server where I will either have to turn the gamma settings up and get a butt ugly looking game (and at the same time by pass the actual night) or wander around in the dark with a light source and the majority of the people (doesn't even matter if it is the majority or the minority of the people in this case) are just using the gamma settings to see 'perfectly' in the night.

Until there's a good solution for it, which I honestly don't think there will be, I certainly won't be playing during night time. Sadly, cause I like the setting, I just don't want to killed by someone who by-passes the whole idea of night time.

The irony of that from someone who cries about other server options constantly. 

Also for everyone else I know it is abused but server restarts sometimes need to happen. 

I would play on night time servers if the damn flashlight didnt shine through walls and alert everything that I am there, even in a room or building with no windows.

I agree that this is a major problem for night-time players. The only reasonable thing to do is use the gamma hack -- which is cheap, I know.

Edited by Metalunatic

I came across servers where the admin restarted it after we killed him and the north east airfield. he was laying out the bait with yellow boxes and a dead survivor and tried to snipe anything that was near by. 10 min fire fight. we killed him - server restarts

I agree.

I dont even need a compass anymore because the sun is always in the same place.

I have seen one sunrise and one sunset, and it rained for me once for like 10 seconds in my whole 150plus hours of playing.

But with nighttime basically broken with gamma exploiters, I can't actually enjoy playing at night without knowing someone else can see in the dark while I can't.

I came across servers where the admin restarted it after we killed him and the north east airfield. he was laying out the bait with yellow boxes and a dead survivor and tried to snipe anything that was near by. 10 min fire fight. we killed him - server restarts

You know he was admin ?? can i ask how you knew there is no visual in game ques that they are admin lol .

Sometimes servers restart at bad times most likely an abusive admin will kick you not restart server after the info of his dead character is aready locked on the hive.

Not saying there arent admin who abuse but i would say maybe think about what happened and actually know what happened before screaming WOLF....

Edited by SoulFirez