Mays (DayZ)

So why do people refuse being held up?

DayZ isn't about fast respawns and pvp at Balota.

DayZ means different things to different people, your way isn't the universal truth to the game, just look at any other thread and you'll see that is the case.

If you get close enough just shoot them in the knees to break their legs, or enough to render them unconscious then proceed to rob them much safer and a lot less chance of them getting an axe into you or a few bullets off. But then it's up to you to help them back to health or just leave them there.

I'm under the belief that an awful lot of people would prefer to take thier chances rather than be held up, I would personally go along with it because most of the time it is fun to do so but the people I have held up and have not gone along with it I just think are fools, not one has ever got close to killing me because if they don't press F2 they get shot and I tell them so which I think is silly as I would prefer to live than die just to keep my character the longest I could.

Edited by Mcleane

DayZ means different things to different people, your way isn't the universal truth to the game, just look at any other thread and you'll see that is the case.

Sure, but I think that devs vision for DayZ isn't mass pvp at Balota. They want people to actually try to survive and they will implement mechanics that promote that. Timer would be easy to do and probably very effective for creating sense of dread and something akin will to live. Or perhaps common sense, like "don't attack a guy with a gun, if you are unarmed".

Edited by Al Bobo

I agree with original OP because I am guessing we have a fairly similar play style . I will only hold someone up if I feel threatened, maybe they are 50m away and have an axe, I am obviously not going to shoot I have everything I need,

My example

I am in berezino, i see a player walk out a house so i say 'stop moving, I'm friendly I won't shoot' as I do this the guy stops says something inaudible down the mic and runs, I 1 shot him with my mosin as he strafes his way down a berezino road( it was a fantastic shot ngl), ' I told you to stop buddy' I say over his dead body. I was going to offer the muppet food, I had literally given 1 other person food 30seconds ago right round the corner, in act my friends were still round the corner with the other guy I had given food to

• Like 1

Literally bandit raided some one last night ... shot him as he went into a room, offered him the chance to surrender, he came out hands up and we handcuffed him. We took what we wanted plus ammo for his rifle, bandaged him and let him go ...

People do take hold ups it just depends on player to player, plus if you get a full on drop on some one it tends to jog their idea of what to do with their hands.

Side note/ Hilariously my game keeps giving me ten mins fo play then desyncs ... so when he came out i couldn't actually see him but my friends came over and cuffed him allowing me to log so as to sync back up.

Yeah, read back a couple of pages to my first post and see just how well you explained anything to me. First response to me was an insult and a denial. Second was you telling me to stop acting like a hero.Third was a link to your story thread about holding people up and not killing them. I fail to see any explanation, meanwhile I've explained why people would rather try to defend themselves than let you tie them up for their can of soda and half a can of beans. I've also told you what 90% of holdups result in, as have the majority of posters in this thread. I've also explained why people would rather die in a video game than play along someone that is PROBABLY going to kill them after wasting their time and acting like a douche-bag. Like I've said before, statistically and from personal experience with friends, that is what is going to happen and most people feel the same way.

You asked why, I said why. You've given nothing but dead ended insults or rebukes. You're right, we're done with this conversation, but it isn't me that has a problem with understanding.

I'm more than capable of understanding, but your inability to understand what I've said to you, and other people is horrifying.

Edited by Mays

Why would they stop and put their hands up?

So you can handcuff them, waste their time, force feed them a rotten kiwi, or inject poison into them?

All while they are running to Balota, the NE airfield, etc?

Unless you're a cute Japanese schoolgirl in thigh-highs, F off with your hands up and handcuffing. I'd rather run and take my chances. Usually, they are a shit shot and can't hit me anyways. Worst case, I spawn in a better spot and without you near me. Win win, I say.

Do you look like this? No? Then I'm running.

School_girls_teacher_Costume_Cosplay_Jap

If they put her in the game, she could hold me up any day.

I agree with original OP because I am guessing we have a fairly similar play style . I will only hold someone up if I feel threatened, maybe they are 50m away and have an axe, I am obviously not going to shoot I have everything I need,

My example

I am in berezino, i see a player walk out a house so i say 'stop moving, I'm friendly I won't shoot' as I do this the guy stops says something inaudible down the mic and runs, I 1 shot him with my mosin as he strafes his way down a berezino road( it was a fantastic shot ngl), ' I told you to stop buddy' I say over his dead body. I was going to offer the muppet food, I had literally given 1 other person food 30seconds ago right round the corner, in act my friends were still round the corner with the other guy I had given food to

What makes you think anybody cares about your food?

depends on what i have in my bag, if i only have a few things and an axe i might as well test my luck and try to axe you to death to get your gear.  

People complain about KOS and lack of player interaction > dev team adds handcuffs and surrender animation to increase robbery and positive player interaction > players refuse to comply and prefer to just be killed rather than have there time wasted > players no longer try and restrain due to people being selfish spoil sports and not playing along, and KOS > people complain about the KOS mentality.

Makes sense lol this community will never be happy. Personally I do whatever it takes to keep my CHARACTER alive, I don't care about my gear I can always find more. If somebody gets the jump on me and doesn't just shoot me, ill give them there time. I wont ruin there experience and mine by either being an idiot and going out swinging or alt - F4.

This game is all about player interaction. I do think people need more incentive to keep there character alive, and to care more about there welfare than there gear. So many people playing this game but only a few seem to get what its about....

Most of the types that complain about KoS claim to shoot someone in the back if they're trying to just run away.

What's the difference?  There is none.  The people I snipe from 400m away are no less of a threat than a new spawn with a melee trying to run away when being barked orders at in a squeaky voice over direct chat. 

• Like 1

Most of the types that complain about KoS claim to shoot someone in the back if they're trying to just run away.

What's the difference? There is none. The people I snipe from 400m away are no less of a threat than a new spawn with a melee trying to run away when being barked orders at in a squeaky voice over direct chat.

I don't have a problem with KOS if the player is a threat to you or your group you take them out, same goes if there halfway through looting the area you want to be looting.

If I see a guy in the wilds and me and my friends can get the jump on him we either try and get him to co-operate (happened a few times normally ends with them logging) if we need food or meds, or we watch him frolic happily through the trees completely oblivious that he's being watched.

We like to observe before we make any decisions, theres certain situations for KOS not just theres player kill.

Some people will never get that there is no "way" to play dayz. If ppl choose not to comply to you holding them up... too bad! No amount of crocodile tears is going to change anything about that.

• Like 1

The answer is simple..... Who are you?

What makes you think anyone wants to listen to a bully... sounds like your camping the spawn area cause your afraid to hold up someone with good gear cause you know there is a bigger chance of you dieing. At that point of the game, yes I would rather die and lose 15 mins of game time then to make a " robber " have his way with me.   Your looking for the confrontation and that is why you appproach and tell them to put hands up...if you wernt then you would walk away yourself.

• Like 1

Some people will never get that there is no "way" to play dayz. If ppl choose not to comply to you holding them up... too bad! No amount of crocodile tears is going to change anything about that.

Hmm.. Your right its a game where you create your own story. If they don't want to comply thats fine, they get shot. But not much of a story to tell is it. The game should be about survival and doing whatever it takes, I've refused to comply a few times normally when the idiot telling me to put my hands up hasn't realised that I have the upper hand, and has no idea that I have to friends currently flanking around to fill him full of bullet holes. But thats a decent story because I came out on top and survived.

If I'm alone and three guys corner me ill see where it goes because I stand more chance than raising my gun at three armed guys. Id also only comply if I know they could of shot me already, otherwise they could just want the easy kill.

I mean if you have barely any gear and are still somewhere on the coast I would understand if you don't want to put your hands up, and wouldn't mind dying. plus they don't know what you're going to do. if you take a their gear then what's the difference if they died instead. also you could kill them or force feed them stuff when they are handcuffed anyway so again, they would probably rather run and hope they don't get shot. Now if you have quite a bit of gear you will probably put your hands up in hopes that they are friendly but just being safe.

This may have been mentioned before, but I mainly skimmed through the topic.

Most of the time, people are held up and handcuffed so bandits can rob them easily without any risk of the victim pulling out a weapon, sounds fair. However, if given the choice between dying and losing your stuff or having a bandit steal your stuff - either way you're still losing your loot. I understand your point, you don't get why people would rather die then to continue living, but it's up to the victim and what they would rather have.

Also remember that there are some irrational bandits who will handcuff you, rob you of your loot and then kill you (Whether by gunshot, forcing disinfectant down your throat or any other ways to kill). With that in mind, people would rather go down quickly then wait.

• Like 1

This may have been mentioned before, but I mainly skimmed through the topic.

Most of the time, people are held up and handcuffed so bandits can rob them easily without any risk of the victim pulling out a weapon, sounds fair. However, if given the choice between dying and losing your stuff or having a bandit steal your stuff - either way you're still losing your loot. I understand your point, you don't get why people would rather die then to continue living, but it's up to the victim and what they would rather have.

Also remember that there are some irrational bandits who will handcuff you, rob you of your loot and then kill you (Whether by gunshot, forcing disinfectant down your throat or any other ways to kill). With that in mind, people would rather go down quickly then wait.

Yea I guess, and this is why things will be implemented to make the character more than transport for gear. And yea there's always a chance its an asshole who will want to kill you anyway for the lolz, so I do understand why people don't trust, and at the end of the day its not a great thing to get robbed but personally and I use the term PERSONALLY as in my opinion I would rather take the chance getting robbed than straight up shot. 

One things for sure I have respect for those who do resist a lot more THAN those who just alt-F4 and join another server, at least you're dealing with the situation.

Edited by Ricky Spanish

A lot of the people that have tried to hold me up have been very nervy and unclear with their instructions, often i can barely hear them over direct chat and when I instinctively turn to the direction of the sound I am shot, even when unarmed. On two concurrent occasions where I complied with a bandits instructions I was then shot on site, so now I generally try and make a run for cover hoping that the player is a bad shot. 

Allowing yourself to get tied up or getting shot its all the same ... theres always 1 asshat in the group that has you tied up that wants to feed you disinfectant.

Turbo running is way too fast. I'm having hard time killing on sight people when they run faster than Hussein Bolt lol. Once vehicles are in, devs should take this feature out.

To put it briefly, people are too focused on their never ending quest for loot, rather than the 'role-playing' element of the game and the many scenarios it can generate.

A 'grind for gear' so to speak, like the numerous other MMO's out there. Unfortunately this is what most people make of the game when it has so much more potential.

I agree with you, but i need to add to what you say that  everyone i happen to see with a gun KOS, i've died probably  over 20 times and not a single attempt of "hold up". Like a deadmatch with grinding for gear in the middle... So much wasted potencial.

I'm not about to waste my time being held up or robbed. I'm not here to make sure YOU have fun. I'll either fight or run but damned if I'm going to do what some keyboard commando tells me to do...IN A GAME.

• Like 3