Sign in to follow this  
hefeweizen

Randomize doors?

130 members have voted

1. 1. Randomize door status on server restart?

• Keep the same. (All doors closed on restart)
    • Randomize. (Doors open or closed on restart)
    • Reverse. (All doors open on restart... I guess....)

Just a thought I had while playing earlier today.

Randomizing doors so that on server startup doors can either be in an open, or closed position. Do you think this would be a good idea?

It seems odd to me that in an zombie apocalypse all doors in Cherno would be shut for the most part until a player opens them. I also think this would inconvenience server hoppers (bonus) and make looting much more unpredictable. The only negative I can think of is it would make tracking other players in unlooted areas more difficult, but some might argue that would be a good thing.

What are you thoughts on doors being randomly closed/open on server restart?

• Like 15

I really like the idea of doors being random.

I personally go into buildings whether or not the doors are open, but it'd make a nice touch to add some doubt.

Edited by RelativeBlue
  • Like 1

Nice idea, I would like it randomized. I would say that at this point i usually forgo open doors half the time, but with knowing it is randoom would add another element to it.

If the zombie apocalypse started I would just run leaving my door open. Don't know how these russians have time to close their doors even on the hurry... Pfft.

Edited by xBlurHitz

I think you make a fair point it would make for a more a interesting/atmospheric maybe rather than a definite door open = player has been there.

Might save time for the looter but its still player indicative similar to spawning zeds.

So far I'm seeing mostly positive responses. I personally skip buildings with open doors for the most part, mostly because of loot, but also because there is a chance I could bump into someone inside. I've also used doors to track someone that I've lost visual contact with. To me that is just smart play, but in a perfect world those options wouldn't be available to me.

Well, I voted for the doors to stay the same since I wouldn't if either this building has already been searched or not. Now I want the randomization since it would somehow add the uncertainty of finding loot on a building that has a open door.

So to the people voted for doors staying the same, why?

Much curious.

That is a simple but also one of the best ideas. I would still enter a building open or close just to look under beds, shelfs but also if a player had no need for something you do it could still be in their and you would of missed out

If i loot a coast house because i'm running out of food, and i find stuff like a backpack inside (which i already have), i close the doors after leaving. That way newspawns will still loot the place and find the usefull stuff i didn't touch.

OT: I vote random.

Edited by Greaves
  • Like 1

If i loot a coast house because i'm running out of food, and i find stuff like a backpack inside (which i already have), i close the doors after leaving. That way newspawns will still loot the place and find the usefull stuff i didn't touch.

OT: I vote random.

How thoughtful of you good sir. Let cans of beans rain from the heavens on to thee.

Random for sure, and what about doors opening the way you facing?!

That would depend on where the hinges are. Door can't open to the inside when the hinges are on the outside. But most houses IRL have them on the inside, so that doesn't really make sense in game.

Random for sure, and what about doors opening the way you facing?!

Would be nice, but not very realistic. Though it would be cool to have doors that swing both ways in bars and restaurants.

Also, screen doors. But those might not be a thing in Russia...

Edited by Hefeweizen
  • Like 1

I support this, but only once the loot respawning has been implemented.

Today, seeing an open door means going into that building for loot is pointless. Having to check every house on a server that has already been looted would be extremely boring and frustrating with the way the loot system works in its current, amputated state.

I support this, but only once the loot respawning has been implemented.

Today, seeing an open door means going into that building for loot is pointless. Having to check every house on a server that has already been looted would be extremely boring and frustrating with the way the loot system works in its current, amputated state.

I agree... but also I don't, part of me thinks that survival should be WAAAAAAAAAAY harder than it is right now and searching empty houses in vain for a scrap of food seems very fitting to the zombie apocolypse theme.

Pretty much anything that can make the game harder makes DayZ better in my opinion. Survival should be really hard, otherwise the game is just a really slow FPS Deathmatch.

• Like 2

Once loot respawning is added...randomising the doors won't be necessary?

Doors could be left open or closed and there still might be freshly spawned loot inside. At the moment it's because we only get fresh loot on server restarts = all doors closed. So no, random doors aren't needed BUT they'd be awesome if they could reflect a breeze slamming them shut after a survivor has already looted :)

I gave an idea, what about a project zomboid Esk mechanic were most doors to hoses and shops are locked and you get in through windows

Once loot respawning is added...randomising the doors won't be necessary?

Doors could be left open or closed and there still might be freshly spawned loot inside. At the moment it's because we only get fresh loot on server restarts = all doors closed. So no, random doors aren't needed BUT they'd be awesome if they could reflect a breeze slamming them shut after a survivor has already looted :)

Open doors can still be used to track player movement. Plus all doors being shut is just silly. I think its still necessary.  :)

I agree... but also I don't, part of me thinks that survival should be WAAAAAAAAAAY harder than it is right now and searching empty houses in vain for a scrap of food seems very fitting to the zombie apocolypse theme.

Pretty much anything that can make the game harder makes DayZ better in my opinion. Survival should be really hard, otherwise the game is just a really slow FPS Deathmatch.

Sure, and sometimes you find nothing even in houses that haven't been looted.

The feeling I get when I don't find anything in a house where there could have been loot is completely different to the one I get when all I find are houses that have been looted dry.

To put it this way.. the former is preferable. And if every house respawned loot, you never know if it's bone dry or a treasure trove. Whereas if the doors were randomized now, you'd look through a bunch of houses and realize after too long everything is gone, not because the game made it hard for you, but because someone hoovered it all up already and the loot respawn system doesn't work/exist.

Yeah they can at the moment - but once restarting servers every 1/2/4 hours isn't required it'll be far harder to use doors as a barometer of player activity. I think adding randomisation would be nice for the gameplay as it stands now, but once loot respawning is implemented it'll be a redundant feature. But I would like a random effect of doors slamming shut if they've been left open :) (so I voted for all open at server start)

Edited by phlOgistOn
  • Like 1

Yeah they can at the moment - but once restarting servers every 1/2/4 hours isn't required it'll be far harder to use doors as a barometer of player activity. I think adding randomisation would be nice for the gameplay as it stands now, but once loot respawning is implemented it'll be a redundant feature. But I would like a random effect of doors slamming shut if they've been left open :) (so I voted for all open at server start)

Fair enough.

I also think doors being blow shut would be an awesome feature as well.

You have my beans, good sir.