Sign in to follow this  
Roshi (DayZ)

What random events would you like to see?

One of the cool additions to the mod were the heli crashes. I know there have been posts on this but I would like to sound out some more ideas for other random events that people might like to see later in the game's development (but, please, no Bigfoot sitings, just stuff that would fit the vibe of DayZ...)

I was thinking of things like coming across a small camp in the woods (with the previous owner hanging fron a tree or zombied-up), or perhaps finding a petrol tanker (partially full and minus the truck to move it) that could be used for refueling your vehicles (obviously way later in development).

I don't even think they would necessarily all need to be hugely 'functional' in terms of providing gear but maybe just add points of interest or some more immersion, as well as providing a reason to explore Chernarus a bit more.

What do you think?

Edited by Roshi
  • Like 5

Cargo ship full of zeds off the coast

Crashed An-12 spawning military weapons

Crashed An-2 spawning Civilian stuff

Crashed Medical heli

Zombie hordes

Random, Geared zombies roaming around. Presumably the infected did some looting before turning

Random heli flys across the map. Following it will lead to a loot stash

• Like 8

I would like to see some predators, such as: Wolves, bears, etc.

I would also like to see some randomly spawing details that change every restart. Like maybe a dead preacher in the church, or a out of order firetruck in the fire station, just to change things up every restart.

• Like 3

I'd love to see a few random elements thrown in just to give us something to look out for once we know the map like the back of our hand.

Crashed ambulance with medical supplies (and zombies of course)

I think an overrun military convoy would be a cool feature too - with lots of zombies surrounding the possibility of nice weapons and a repairable vehicle or two.

• Like 5

Many, many, many random events. So many that in one restart there couldn't even be all. Like different crash sites, zombie hordes, etc. Doesn't even need loot, just something to keep it interesting. And what would be more interesting than trying to survive 100 zombies that are attacking you ;)

• Like 1

Flooding, dense fog, snow storm..

Now we're getting somewhere.

I was thinking something similar. I thought about that helicopter bug, where a crashed helicopter's burning fire was enlarged to an extend, it looked like a forest fire or a whole town on fire.

• Like 2

Zombie hordes, although good to have, would be out of the processing league for too many people, I think.

Weather would be a good one to improve on, which would make maintaining temp and the associated mechanics much more interesting (lighting a fire to stay warm in the snow versus staying out of sight).

These would be good to tie into base construction.

Rolling along the hills yesterday i was wondering how cool it would be if the infected werent the only evil things about, how hard would it be to have something that is as large as a house suddenly crash its way through the trees and run past you. Maybe forcing the player to hide or flee. Since we dont know what caused the infection we could see a evolution of the zombies into other things. Or what about a group of zombies fighting bears and animals, or being carried around as they fight, with you as a simple on looker. I loved the fog idea when i saw the Arma 3 demo and that coupled with the slow walking dead would increase the creep factor loads. Forest fires could be cool but I could see people laying waste to the whole hills just to over load servers and such.

Heli Crashes (Military-Guns and equipment, Civilian/Police/Coastguard-Lower teir guns and equipment)

Car Crashes (random spots along the road Military (consisting of trucks or urals carrying supplies/weapons) Civilian ( (someone mentioned tankers with fuel) delivery trucks with large amounts of food ((too much for one survivor to carry)) Ambulances with medical gear inside, 'survivor' cars filled with random supplies (non immune survivors that tried to escape, guns, food, clothes) )

Plane Crashes (Military, Civilian (clothing only))

Survivor camps (just like the mod, non immune survivors that managed to get away before turning, random assortment of supplies, rare chance for low end military weapons, higher chance for civilian weapons and gear)

Fires (maybe not entirely random, possible to be player initiated but still have some random occurrences (lighting strike in the forest, fuel tank explodes in a city, ect)  Wild fire would take place in the forest, cause animals to run away, destroy/damage any camps/tents set up.  House/building fires would damage/destroy loot in affected buildings, possibly spread to nearby buildings, destroy wooden buildings, gut stone/concrete buildings.

I would love to see a hurricane/typhoon type event that happens extremely rarely. It would destroy houses, misplace/destroy loot, and flood most of chenarus(or at least the coastal area) forcing players to move north or gain high ground.

• Like 4

Id like to see a dynamic heli/plane crash. 

The plane or heli could limp around in a flight path that gives most of the map a chance to see it, then ditch somewhere. It would be smoking obviously damaged with the alarm going off for everyone to hear.

The idea is that the players would all see it and try to follow, could end up in some great group confrontations. Imagine 2 well armed groups both track the heli and arrive at about the same time....oh yeaaahh....its on! :) 

• Like 1

Of course dynamic crashes and such, but as I guy said above, stray ships. Either washing ashore or just drifting into the waters off the coast. You'd need a boat to get out there and board it.

Edited by Erik204

I think fishing boats randomly appearing off the coast might be cool, along with other suggestions in this thread. You could swim out to them, or find a smaller boat (later on in the development) and go there. They would probably have a magnum or mosin, food, water, medical supplies and maybe even a working engine :D

Random military destroyer abandoned on the random coast with unique military loot and extreme weather, also derailed  civilian train with some loot and infected , but only when trains wont be repairable and usable

• Like 1

I think it would be cool if there were a car crash, with two cars on roads, dead player look-a-likes inside and they can have pretty much anykind of gear there is in game.

Ship ideas are pretty neat, as long as those ain't military carriers.

Maybe a crashed lorry with tons of food'n'drinks? A crashed ambulance with medical loot?

Zombie hordes in random towns, zombies have the loot on them?

Also some train wrecks, since there is a lot more train tracks than mod had.

Just some thoughts what would be nice to see. I kinda hate the idea of helicrash from the mod, even though it would be more dynamic than it was in mod. I just hate the military loot thing, but hey, it's just me not the whole community.

Zombie hordes, although good to have, would be out of the processing league for too many people, I think.

Weather would be a good one to improve on, which would make maintaining temp and the associated mechanics much more interesting (lighting a fire to stay warm in the snow versus staying out of sight).

These would be good to tie into base construction.

I could be wrong but i thought one of the great inovations rocket mentioned during development was putting zombies server side for the very reason they could add more without straining client side cpu (your average gpu now days will handle alot more than dayz is throwing if the cpu aint bottlenecked.

I want random radio calls (when walkie talkies work ) perhaps broadcasting a location ya know we have the cure ya da ya da could be trap could be source of good loot could be just a over run with horde of zeds...

Bad weather would be nice some snow driving you inside to keep warm (well unless you have that very rare fluffy jacket thing gloves etc etc a fire you get the picture.

What about a platoon of paratroopers dropped in (from a AC 130 flying above) with a team of scientists in hasmat suits (from some shady organisation) to collect some 'samples' of possible infected i.e us players!

Edited by Senna s1979

1. A big ass EU plane randomly dropping supply's.

2. Military Bombing large city's

3. Bad weather & Wildlife.

Seeing a lot of the same thing that's been confirmed as a no for standalone.  Dynamic Crashes (Heli, car, plane).  Sad to say any crashes will have to be like in the mod, server restarts and they're just in random locations.  (NonZombie) NPCs will also be something that won't be in.

hey, the topic title is what we'd like to see - i dont care whats impossible :)

- toxic storms that severly affect the health of everyone without shelter or special protective clothing

- mutated wildlife string enough to rip apart an armed platoon

- swamp and quicksand

- floods

- limited-time events revealing parts of the background story

- limited-time events introducing special loot items for the duration of the event

- ships washed ashore, decomposing over a timeframe of maybe two weeks, creating limited supply of special loot / special infected

6'5" Fast Big Black Zombies that spawn in the woods,

they outrun you,

you have to kill it,

before it kills U!

Woods should be the scariest place,

not a vacation!

Also, Deer-like real life(without proper wind adv., or loud sound/footsteps=Deer run 1/2 mile away from U)

(make it a Hunting Sim)

Deer calls to call deer,

but Big Rakes (HARDER) to find they can kill U(rutting)
small rakes, does EASIER
EVERYONE SHOULD SEE A LOT OF WHITETAILS!!!

Deer snorting scares the crap out of you in real life.

Also killer Bears, Coyotes, snakes and little killer rabbits,etc

Edited by iDash

Random military destroyer abandoned on the random coast with unique military loot and extreme weather, also derailed  civilian train with some loot and infected , but only when trains wont be repairable and usable

Really like the train idea. Beans...

wondering hordes, predatory animals, heli crashes (though, much rarer than in the dayz mod), crashed military convoys, stripper zombies, and aliens.