rezinsky

Let's talk about Perma Death (No Bug talk)

This topic is for general discussion about the perma-death system in DayZ SA, as well as potential alternatives, suggestions and Ideas, etc. This is not a 'bitch about bugs' thread
Please stay on subject

Note: This game is still in very early stages so certain features are not implemented and may result in below mentioned annoyance(s),

I must admit, I love this damn game, excellent potential and it really brings together everything I've ever wanted into one world. However, I am concerned about the whole perma-death thing in the long run, its awesome don't get me wrong i love it too, adds so much suspense to the world, in fact i think its a very unique pillar of the game..... but i kinda-sorta-might hate it as well. Like "seriously about to uninstall every-time I die" kind of hatred.

I'm afraid of mass loss of interest leading to the premature death of this exciting piece of work, because of excessive repetition. I mean lets think about one's self spending 10+ hours in one day's game walking miles and miles and miles in land on this googolplex sized map , slowly acquiring items, avoiding baddies, Finally getting to a point of survivability and then -dying for whatever reason (reasons irrelevant in this topic) and starting completely over from scratch. Then doing it all over again....and again..and again....and ag-. (Sorry my mind got stuck in a loop there).

I don't know......is it going to work long term? Shux... what is there to fulfill folks? People will invest thousands of hours into this game and never surpass (the equivalent of) level 1. But i don't know what else can be done to keep the gritty feel that makes DayZ SA so engaging, like i said not all features are present so it may be perfect once more options of survival are available but perhaps it's time to have a collaborative discussion about this.

Many people join groups,clans, communities, ect which helps keep the retention high. Once buildables are implimented it will also add something that carries on over death. The mod has been going strong for 2 years, so much so that it warranted this stand alone.

Dayz wants to stay away from "gamey".

Im sure there will be awesome end game content.

Base building, vehicles, clans, rare items, other regions.

If you have 1000 hours into any game you will eventually get some what bored of it. 

IMHO, I don't think it needs changing. It should be like it is. I don't think there are any alternatives that would work here.

• Like 1

DayZ is what it is because of things like permanent death. 

• Like 5

DayZ without permadeath would be pointless.  If you can't handle the losses, then this isn't the type of game for you.  Without permadeath, death becomes meaningless and the game is a lot shorter.

• Like 3

If you read any of my posts you will get the feeling i am all for positive changes adding more to the experience making the game standout from the mod and from clone games BUT this is one field ( there are others) that i wouldnt want to see touched what makes the game intense well its the fear of dying and lossing all the gear you have gotten remove this and death has no meaning bam we are playing COD BF on a bigger map cheers for the idea but on this one i pass.

LEAVE PERMA DEATH hell i say make it more costly to die..........

• Like 1

I can tell you are new to Dayz. This is what makes this game, you have to understand the game first before suggesting something like that.

I once played with a Russian clan (they really love to pvp), and I asked them, "If you guys love pvp so much, why not try wasteland mod for Arma?". The guy said, "In wasteland you get your gun in 5sec, you lose it you get a new one, no problem. In Dayz, you try to survive because you know no ones going to hand you your stuff back when you respawn".

I suggest waiting for pvp server, where you spawn with full gear. You'll love it. 

Edited by Arty

All you need is the ability for players to keep a small stash of items somwhere that can't be pillaged by other players.  No more than say 50 slots for the highest tier stash.

Bases and camps are nice, but they don't work when they're not guarded 24/7, and you can't establish any sort of player-organized factions to control different areas because your character isn't tied to the server.

If you absolutely can't stomach there being 100% secure stashes, we could at least have buryable containers.  Those would be very difficult for anyone else to find, and you could have buryable safes at the high end that require a combination or explosive to open. (maybe have the explosive damage the contents too)

• Like 1

if anything death needs to have greater consequences, its already pretty easy to just run straight back to your body once you know your way around the map, Vehicles will make this even easier if playing in a group and once storage is in such as tents or bases it'll be even easier to gear up again.

Which is why i really hope they introduce some kind of character progression that goes beyond just gear, i want death in this game to be feared and not just an inconvenience.

• Like 6

if anything death needs to have greater consequences, its already pretty easy to just run straight back to your body once you know your way around the map, Vehicles will make this even easier if playing in a group and once storage is in such as tents or bases it'll be even easier to gear up again.

Which is why i really hope they introduce some kind of character progression that goes beyond just gear, i want death in this game to be feared and not just an inconvenience.

THIS but id go even further id actually lock you out of the server on death for like 10 minutes this maybe to harsh but even now death has little meaning if you have a friend to guard your body for you DEATH should be FEARED should be AVOIDED at all costs this is a survival game is it not????

• Like 1

This topic is for general discussion about the perma-death system in DayZ SA, as well as potential alternatives, suggestions and Ideas, etc. This is not a 'bitch about bugs' thread

Please stay on subject

Note: This game is still in very early stages so certain features are not implemented and may result in below mentioned annoyance(s),

I must admit, I love this damn game, excellent potential and it really brings together everything I've ever wanted into one world. However, I am concerned about the whole perma-death thing in the long run, its awesome don't get me wrong i love it too, adds so much suspense to the world, in fact i think its a very unique pillar of the game..... but i kinda-sorta-might hate it as well. Like "seriously about to uninstall every-time I die" kind of hatred.

I'm afraid of mass loss of interest leading to the premature death of this exciting piece of work, because of excessive repetition. I mean lets think about one's self spending 10+ hours in one day's game walking miles and miles and miles in land on this googolplex sized map , slowly acquiring items, avoiding baddies, Finally getting to a point of survivability and then -dying for whatever reason (reasons irrelevant in this topic) and starting completely over from scratch. Then doing it all over again....and again..and again....and ag-. (Sorry my mind got stuck in a loop there).

I don't know......is it going to work long term? Shux... what is there to fulfill folks? People will invest thousands of hours into this game and never surpass (the equivalent of) level 1. But i don't know what else can be done to keep the gritty feel that makes DayZ SA so engaging, like i said not all features are present so it may be perfect once more options of survival are available but perhaps it's time to have a collaborative discussion about this.

Ever heard of Roguelikes, i.e. dungeon crawler games with an emphasis on randomization and permadeath?  You should play Nethack.  I've been playing that game for over a decade and still haven't beaten it (I still haven't read the spoilers because...that would be cheating).  The last time I played I got to the 7th floor, tried to feed a horse an apple and got kicked in the head and died.

Permadeath is part of why people like DayZ.  With the release of the standalone there's been a lot of hype about DayZ.  It's well deserved but a lot of players are coming to this game because they've heard about it but they have basically no idea what it's about.

DayZ is about permadeath and being difficult.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly
  • Like 2

The most fun I ever had in dayZ was on a private hive. My group of friends played there as well as some clans and some other just groups of friends. Basically that server was faction warfare. Vehicles, weapons, supplies, tents all were constantly being contested. If a group had vehicle you wanted you would set an ambush in their preferred spots. It honestly got to the point where you could almost predict another groups behaviour. It was sersioulsy amazing.

My point is it wasn't the persistence of any given character, but the persistence of an ongoing story about separate player factions and lone wolfs on that server. This was partly due to a community and a private hive, but you also have to realise the standalone at the moment has no basic persistence (tents, vehicles, ect.) so yes there is no progression past the clothes on your back.

With the persistent features you can start working towards and maintaining server goals and its a lot more fun :)

If you absolutely can't stomach there being 100% secure stashes, we could at least have buryable containers.  Those would be very difficult for anyone else to find, and you could have buryable safes at the high end that require a combination or explosive to open. (maybe have the explosive damage the contents too)

^ this

I've been wanting this ever since i started playing the mod.

Even without containers, hiding small stuff should be easy. Dig a hole, put your beans inside said hole, cover hole. Done. Just have to remember the exact spot. :P

I forget who, but someone put it nicely. "As soon as you spawn in DayZ, you are already dead. Trying to avoid it and having fun while doing it is what it's all about"

DayZ without permadeath would be pointless.  If you can't handle the losses, then this isn't the type of game for you.  Without permadeath, death becomes meaningless and the game is a lot shorter.

If you read any of my posts you will get the feeling i am all for positive changes adding more to the experience making the game standout from the mod and from clone games BUT this is one field ( there are others) that i wouldnt want to see touched what makes the game intense well its the fear of dying and lossing all the gear you have gotten remove this and death has no meaning bam we are playing COD BF on a bigger map cheers for the idea but on this one i pass.

LEAVE PERMA DEATH hell i say make it more costly to die..........

I can tell you are new to Dayz. This is what makes this game, you have to understand the game first before suggesting something like that.

I once played with a Russian clan (they really love to pvp), and I asked them, "If you guys love pvp so much, why not try wasteland mod for Arma?". The guy said, "In wasteland you get your gun in 5sec, you lose it you get a new one, no problem. In Dayz, you try to survive because you know no ones going to hand you your stuff back when you respawn".

I suggest waiting for pvp server, where you spawn with full gear. You'll love it. 

Every heard of Roguelikes, i.e. dungeon crawler games with an emphasis on randomization and permadeath?  You should play Nethack.  I've been playing that game for over a decade and still haven't beaten it (I still haven't read the spoilers because...that would be cheating).  The last time I played I got to the 7th floor, tried to feed a horse an apple and got kicked in the head and died.

Permadeath is part of why people like DayZ.  With the release of the standalone there's been a lot of hype about DayZ.  It's well deserved but a lot of players are coming to this game because they've heard about it but they have basically no idea what it's about.

DayZ is about permadeath and being difficult.

Indeed I am new and also believe its what makes DayZ, even said so in my post**. HAHA Its funny cause I don't believe I said or suggested anything about getting rid of it, or even that it was bad. I spoke positively about it (minus my sarcastic bit), if anything I meant to imply about adding TO it more so.  I'm only bringing forth my concern of future sales not meeting the mark and Bohemia scrapping this project before its done. The mod has lived for a couple years ya, but a standalone GAME needs to appeal to a broader audience and make sales or else it's a project not worth spending resources on in the business world. I personally can handle perma-death, as well as all of you here that's great, this isn't a thread about that, this is about Could perma-death  perma-kill DayZ SA before it's finished? I would like to see this stunning, in depth idea in it's finalized state eventually, that is why i bring this up, and that is why i bought this game in it's Alpha phase. To offer a perspective for the further development of the software, so lets all do that, together. 

** "....don't get me wrong i love it too, adds so much suspense to the world, in fact i think its a very unique pillar of the game..."