Aussie Bogan

How does KOS effect the way you play?? (My story)

Well my Kos attitude started out by trying to be nice and friendly to everyone...

Although i have had multiple bad experiences in which led me to becoming a bandit.

My trust was betrayed when helping players around 70% of the time and i started to get annoyed with players ethics in general. (You help some one gear up for hours only for them to shot you in cold blood) <<< That mentality is fucked imo

(Please note i'm not saying everyone plays this game to back stab other players, but there are some that do)

From there i started KOSing Bandits, hero's, Clan's, Bambi's i didn't care. For i felt threatened by everyone and everything and i wasn't willing to leave things to chance as my trust had been violated.. (It was much fun taking on groups of 2-5 solo) I found it a challenge. I acknowledge for me playing in this KOS style i most likely lead many other people to choose that path of being a bandit as the only way to play the game due to frustration and ruining trust. But i can assure you people and other bandits out there it doesn't have to be like that....

Eventually (For me) It got boring and i felt sorry for all those bambi's i slaughtered good and bad (I wasn't one of those sick players that gained your trust and then shoot you, i find that the lowest kind of bandits,,)

So i decided to stop killing Bambi's and start helping them (New spawns) for there was not much point in trolling new players just to ruin there gaming experience just for my entertainment.

Some of the factors that lead to me making this decision:

How would I like it if i was new to the game and got KOSed overtime by everyone i wouldn't, Although for a long time a accepted it as the only way to play the game. (Mentality was i must spawn in get a gun kill people to protect myself from KOS but funny enough i was doing the same thing)

While i was playing a bandit style i would die from time to time and start out as a new spawn, Many of times i would get KOSed and i would accept it, as where other people would full on give me their shirt off their back (so to speak). This kind hero like game play, made me see there was another style to play Dayz and encouraged me to try help out people to give them a chance just so they could feel the same gratitude i felt.

I still got betrayed here and again (That's the risk you take) But at the end of the day i found it more rewarding (personally) to help players rather than kill them out of fear or fun. As it may one day, change someone's mind and show that there are good players out there, that set an example that you don't need to KOS to have fun. (As i learn't over time)

As for all those True friendlies out their i take my hat off to you as you make this game fun for others and even inspire people like myself to do good.

(In Dayz our style of play is much shaped by our experiences) It's up to you which road your willing to take  and remember it's never to late to change.. :)  (once a bandit not always a bandit)

Hope you guys enjoyed reading my story to give you some insight on what KOS was like for me and the mentality behind it....

Let me know how Kos effects the way you play now?? :)

Edited by Aussie Bogan
  • Like 9

It's funny, because my playstile is changing every single spawn.

Sometimes i rob other bambis with an empty moisin.

Sometimes i would rip off my own shirt to bandage them, while bleeding for fighting Z's with my bare hands.

And sometimes i just stay stealth and run away.

I think it's depending on my deaths before. And because there's no karmasystem, I like to play my very own role and stay consistent.

Btw. I don't like pretending I'm friendly and rob or kill them then, because that's just lying people. I don't think you're enough in role, while playing DayZ to be a prick out of character.

Edited by Khad
  • Like 1

Go around stealing everyone's blood

The Best way to play.

But never forget to carry Dracula with you and quote out of it, while doing so!

• Like 1

I feel you brother. I'm a hero at heart, but now I kill anything that moves. It's a shame since I'm the fucking boss at DayZ, everyone dies.

I'm the fucking boss at DayZ, everyone dies.

Subtle.. very subtle.

Edited by raynor009

Honestly, it doesn't change the way I play. I am very untrusting of anyone I don't know personally and always have been, just the way to survive.

In saying that, I will always help if I can whether or not I get punched in the head while rummaging through my backpack, poked with a rusty screwdriver while bandaging or being shot repeatedly in the face after stating "I'm here to help". Them KoSers sure are a silly lot.

I don't camp on the coast so it doesn't change anything for me

Edited by RaxUK
  • Like 1

Had about the same story, atm i help  newbs/dont. I usually kill armed players unless im in a group in which case we usually try to take them "hostage" and take their blood/the gear we need without killing them.

Welcome back aussie b  :D

I never play on 20 + servers for my reasons and generally trying to avoid any contact and sometimes when feeling generous I drop spare can opener in place where newspawns are likely to search. I don't take my chances with armed groups though, group of 2 or more with guns...? I'd shoot If I feel I am in better position

In the mod, my friends and I mostly just KoS'd from the get go. No idea why, we just did. We avoided killing fresh spawns, but rarely engaged in conversation with them. A few times we would actually talk to/interact with and help them. At one point we even played as a type of vigilante group in Cherno taking down armed opponents that were shooting at others that were either fresh spawns or trying to avoid them in general.

Now that DayZ has been out, we started with what we were doing originally in the mod, killing anyone that looked like they weren't fresh spawns in and around Balota. Went up north a couple of times, but some of us decided it wasn't really worth it until more content is released in the future. We aren't really into the whole handcuffing people, robbing them of everything they have and then feeding them harmful things. Most people we tried to handcuff instantly logged off before we had a chance to grab them anyways.

Lately we've been just rushing into the Balota Airfield as fresh spawns being friendly with others, playing around and talking to anyone we can, only using our fists or randomly acquired melee weapons and firearms to kill people that are clearly acting hostile or suspicious. I have to say it's pretty fun at this stage in the alpha.

Well... my entire post has been kind of off track. Often times starting way back in the early mod days I'd run into people that would just shoot me right off the bat, whether I tried to avoid them or talk to them. Got irritating after awhile, even if I wasn't killed, mostly because I never really wanted to fully blast people away immediately... depends on the way they treat people I suppose. Just started shooting anyone that looked like they were out for blood.

In the end, I think my group and I will probably take a friendlier approach to DayZ, while not entirely forsaking banditry. I don't really consider KoS to be banditry exactly, but it has it's place within the bandit life from time to time. I guess ultimately how we play will depend on how we feel at that particular moment as a group. Often times we'll even set out to play as bandits, but after someone interacts with us in an unusual way (being friendly, acting crazy, saying funny things, etc.) we'll decide to be very nice to said person and often times we'll let the events unfold from there.

An example of this is one time we were about to sweep the Balota airfield for tangos, it was two others and myself. One was providing sniper cover and the other moved up ahead to the air control tower. My friend met some guys up there that were armed (originally the plan would have been to neutralize them), but it ended up being a sort of party at the top there. Unfortunately I had a guy get the jump on me and we ended up killing each other, but my friend at the air control tower had gathered about six people in total (random fresh spawns would wander up there and they would sort of join the rag tag crew). In the end, one of the fresh spawns went ballistic and chopped them up, our sniper cover ended up neutralizing the axe murderer, ran down and saved my friend's life.

One of the best moments all of us had in DayZ (even though I was dead I still enjoyed listening to what was going on). Sorry if this post is a tad bit off-topic. I guess my version of a closing statement would be that from my point of view it can definitely be worth letting events play out and keeping an open mind to any situation you come across in DayZ. Often times I've set out to do something, and instead of just following through with my goal (often times neutralizing targets), they turned out to provide a fairly rewarding experience that I could have never seen coming.

Edited by Sab

In short, from friendly to hero to KOS most of the time (mod included). Not bandit, since i try to avoid confrontation and i do not shoot at unarmed player. I snipe from time to time but only if a player is already where i want to go, i do not camp the hot spots with a scoped rifle for example. All in all, nearly all interaction become a deathmatch, except if the "friendly yelling player" stop "looking for help" in my direction and really walk the other way when i ask politely.

Edited by SixGunLover

lol, All i do is run about, i don't KOS and i avoid most other players ill help a fresh spawn for 10 minutes to get them started a bit, after that i go off and do my own thing, makes me feel good for helping someone and i don't die.

Unless i drink a soda and die from diabetes because alpha. lel

My experience so far is 95% of people I've encountered have KoS. Because of this, I do my best to avoid other players. If I see someone, I tend to go the other way as fast as I can, unless it's a bambi. I'll generally walk past bambis and watch as they take a look at me and try to avoid me and I leave bambis alone unless they are running at me in which case I stop and watch them raise their fist, then I kill them right there (Do they really think they'll be able to take on an M4 with their fist?). I do my best not to KoS and avoid other players who look geared up because of the fact they will most certainly kill me on sight. Most of the players I encounter though don't see me, I see them, but I still go the other way.

• Like 1

My experience so far is 95% of people I've encountered have KoS. Because of this, I do my best to avoid other players. If I see someone, I tend to go the other way as fast as I can, unless it's a bambi. I'll generally walk past bambis and watch as they take a look at me and try to avoid me and I leave bambis alone unless they are running at me in which case I stop and watch them raise their fist, then I kill them right there (Do they really think they'll be able to take on an M4 with their fist?). I do my best not to KoS and avoid other players who look geared up because of the fact they will most certainly kill me on sight. Most of the players I encounter though don't see me, I see them, but I still go the other way.

Thats pretty much exactly what i do.

The scary part is though, you wonder how many players have the same mentality, and see you, but you don't see them.

• Like 1

Everyone will kill each other over time, that's the human mentality, it's like this

I have a weapon(power)

I see you, you have something, either it's tangible like a backpack or you pose a threat.(need to exercise power)

Kill(power used, feeling of strength, and security)

Now I have what I want, why should other players Take a chance and let you live. I'll run if I can't fight but my first instinct is to kill, like all animals

In the mod I found myself trying to be that exception to the rule and not shoot everyone i came in contact with and for awhile that felt pretty good but eventually I just got pissed off to the point I just stopped helping people. Not killing on sight, just not bothering with others at all.

i.e bored out of my bean can

So I guess KoSn has changed me from someone who was ok with risking his life to save yours to someone who'd now just let you bleed or fire first in self defense. At least that way I can actually play for a little longer before hitting the beach again.

I go by the philosopher of a certain crazy bastard found in a church in L4D2.

Better safe than sorry.

That being said, you can usually tell when someone is fresh to the game. I've never been shot/stabbed in the back after leaving someone alive deliberately since I started favouring KoS tactics.