Sign in to follow this  
EchelonEffect

The RV engine is the worst engine ever made.

At least 636,456 copies sold as of writing this. Perhaps this will speed up some parts of the development and maybe things like replacing the rendering engine will be pushed forward.

Absolutely.  Funding is a HUGE part of video game development.

A lot of potentially good games died or ended up being flops because they ran out of money (look at Brink).

• Like 1

Oh god don't mention Brink, I loved Brink, Brink has the most awesome player models ever, oh Brink oh I miss you so.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 3

Is it really relevant? A lot of games don't utilize occlusion culling, it's relatively new rendering technology. 

wat

Its one of the most popular forms of optimization

yeah he could have sold it to EA or activision so they can put a COD or BF monicker on it added perks and xp hell we could have double xp weekends ho many d-bags can kill each other screw the survival aspect and social side of the game we want blood guts and a rushed half assed game. yeah i'm bieng sarcastic i can't wait till this is all said and done the alpha i mean cause when the new items and features show up the the jaws will drop. i have high hopes for this game so far so good i say patience will be needed to put up with some of the community at large but i think we have the grit.

wat

Its one of the most popular forms of optimization

Um, well... You might be mistaking that with frustrum culling, which is already commonly used. Occlusion culling is partial and works behind objects whereas frustrum culling only stops rendering objects which are completely outside the viewing area.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

Real Virtuality engine has some nice features, it has nice maps, nice bullet physics (ArmA 2, DayZ SA Accuracy is absolutely crap).

The Real Virtuality has absolutely crap rendering; every game developed by Bohemia Interactive on that engine has severe performance issues.

ArmA 3 was a huge disappointment, I didn't even know that it went from Alpha to Full Release, there is 10% of the content that ArmA 2 contains.

DayZ Standalone is indeed Alpha, but I highly doubt that the bugs from ArmA 2, ArmA 3, including the performance issues; will ever be fixed.

Some game bugs might be fixed (hopefully) such as the ridiculous accuracy that is almost never on point after 100 meters with the M4, and 700 meters with the Mosin.

It would have been very nice to see this game developed on lets say, Cry Engine 3. Real Virtuality is very immersive however, that's the best thing about it.

Hideous engine, but good immersion and environment.

• Like 1

Um, well... You might be mistaking that with frustrum culling, which is already commonly used. Occlusion culling is partial and works behind objects whereas frustrum culling only stops rendering objects which are completely outside the viewing area.

Frustrum culling is a given in any engine, if you don't use it theres a good chance the game wont be playable.

Occlusion culling is even better for complex scenes and many games do use it, it isn't rare at all

What I thought would make for improvements in performance would be this "network bubble" Rocket was banging on about. Was this included in the current build of the game? Because I don't see any difference performance-wise between SA and DayZ mod. I mean I understand that there is a lot of work to be done with optimization but I honestly thought that the network bubble would be more major of an improvement. 

I believe the network bubble is more network related then engine related. The network bubble basically turns Dayz into more of an MMO then an FPS, where as before you would receive data from every player in the server e.g there health, the zombies there fighting, you now only receive information from those closer to you which means a lot less stress on the server as its not sending wasted information. While this should improve your frame rate, I believe it to be more of an improvement for the network. So just because you don't see an improvement doesn't mean there isn't one.

Poor FPS could be caused by other problems such as poor optimisation or bad engine coding, or maybe even because the game isn't finished yet and there's a lot more work to be done.  

Edited by Ricky Spanish
  • Like 1

Frustrum culling is a given in any engine, if you don't use it theres a good chance the game wont be playable.

Occlusion culling is even better for complex scenes and many games do use it, it isn't rare at all

It's a pointless comparison, as Dean already stated they would be adding it. It may just need work or adaptation to the engine. You might as well say "Person A is 6 feet tall, so why isn't person B?" Well, they were made by different people. The details until now aren't that relevant. The game works well for me at least and the fact that there is still room for optimization is actually a good thing. If you really hate the game so much, don't play it? That is an option.

What I thought would make for improvements in performance would be this "network bubble" Rocket was banging on about. Was this included in the current build of the game? Because I don't see any difference performance-wise between SA and DayZ mod. I mean I understand that there is a lot of work to be done with optimization but I honestly thought that the network bubble would be more major of an improvement. 

That network bubble thing is all about server side optimization. That won't have that much effect on rendering performance on the client.

SA release was all about server side performance and stability. I guess we won't see much client side performance tweaking anytime soon.

• Like 1

Dean literally said in stream that they have not touched client side optimization yet. There is no point to this discussion of game engines by amateurs. 

• Like 5

It's a pointless comparison, as Dean already stated they would be adding it. It may just need work or adaptation to the engine. You might as well say "Person A is 6 feet tall, so why isn't person B?" Well, they were made by different people. The details until now aren't that relevant. The game works well for me at least and the fact that there is still room for optimization is actually a good thing. If you really hate the game so much, don't play it? That is an option.

I can like the game but hate its clunk

This is what makes the "its alpha!" argument pointless in this thread. I'm not bitching about how the game performs right now but I would love to see some transparency from B.I in regards to what they are/will be doing to better optimize the game. However I doubt they would tell us much because not keeping a promise is a lot worse than keeping your mouth shut from the start.

Nope it doesn't make the "its alpha!" argument pointless at all, you cant judge the performance of an unfinished game. This thread however is completely pointless because they aren't going to change engine, but they still have time and funds to improve it to the best of there abilities. Its Alpha there's going to be bad unfinished code all over the place, half finished features that need cleaning up or removing and bugs up to the eyes. I'm actually pretty impressed it runs as well as it does, I was expecting a lot worse. And also nobody can see into the future, even BI, but I trust they'll do the best they can with the engine they created.

• Like 1

This thread however is completely pointless because they aren't going to change engine

LOL! /endthread

That's enough internet for one day, I'm taking a walk.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

I'll reserve judgement until at least beta.  But I'm not holding my breath for better performance.  

INB4LOCK!

1143.gif

But seriously though, it was probably the engine the guys were most comfortable with at the time. And the only one that was available to them which was halfway close to being what they needed.

Edited by Dchil

The whole Arma/Dayz playground with all objects, houses, trees, water, rocks and everything already exists in this engine.

How long does it take to create such a "whole country" (playground) in a new engine?

It is a troll topic.  The OP is most likely not a programmer.  The OP also most likely has not seen any form of sourcecode from the engine itself to be able to dissect it in such a way.

Plus if he were a programmer, he'd know that it might not necessarily be the engine at fault, but the instruction set that is being fed into the engine.

I was also pretty sure that Rocket said the engine was being rebuilt from the ground up to suit the standalone, which would make the OP wrong anyway.

Rocket also said DayZ SA is going to be released late 2012, dont tell me rocket said.

Nope it doesn't make the "its alpha!" argument pointless at all, you cant judge the performance of an unfinished game. This thread however is completely pointless because they aren't going to change engine, but they still have time and funds to improve it to the best of there abilities. Its Alpha there's going to be bad unfinished code all over the place, half finished features that need cleaning up or removing and bugs up to the eyes. I'm actually pretty impressed it runs as well as it does, I was expecting a lot worse. And also nobody can see into the future, even BI, but I trust they'll do the best they can with the engine they created.

Complete BS, what do you think we would have gotten 1 year ago when it should have been released if its alpha now, really? Your one of these people whining about WarZ Fanboys while your an DayZ fanboy, this basically includes everybody else that says "its alpha" or "warz fanboy" - complete bullshit arguments.

Complete BS, what do you think we would have gotten 1 year ago when it should have been released if its alpha now, really? Your one of these people whining about WarZ Fanboys while your an DayZ fanboy, this basically includes everybody else that says "its alpha" or "warz fanboy" - complete bullshit arguments.

Ok, i'll bite.

Your problem is that you obviously did not inform yourself and therefore are unable to contribute to the conversation in a meaningfull way.

Apart from the obvious changes they made to the game, most of the programming time was consumed by changing the server-client architecture of the game.

Client side optimization has not been a priority and it will probably not be for a while, since they still have to vastly improve the servers.

So instead of flaming on the forums and shouting half truths and outright BS at the top of your virtual loungs, do us a favor and read up on a topic before you post.

• Like 5

1. The people who say that this is the only engine that can do this job are speaking from a position 10 years in the past, it was true back then and it was amazing (in terms of games at least).

2. There is no denying that this engine has bad performance and is convoluted beyond belief resulting in a clunky as hell experience for the end-user, probably very inefficient to work with too, it is for the same reason Windows is a bad operating system, both just build up every new version from the very old shit.

3. The answer to this thread is that Rocket is most familiar with this engine and doesn't want to and/or can't use another one and although there are lots of devs doing survival games atm, if we want dayz we want Rocket so its a 'take it or leave it' kind of scenario.

Edited by Mookzen
  • Like 1

Ok, i'll bite.

Your problem is that you obviously did not inform yourself and therefore are unable to contribute to the conversation in a meaningfull way.

Apart from the obvious changes they made to the game, most of the programming time was consumed by changing the server-client architecture of the game.

Client side optimization has not been a priority and it will probably not be for a while, since they still have to vastly improve the servers.

So instead of flaming on the forums and shouting half truths and outright BS at the top of your virtual loungs, do us a favor and read up on a topic before you post.

Can I give you two cans of beans?   :D

Well I'm sitting here with my 15 fps, pretty delighted. Since I have absolutely no experience with game programming, engine designing or what the difference between a programmer and an engine designer is, I believe I am fully qualified to speak on the matter in great detail. 

Bad engine, should have used other one for reasons unknown, it's alpha is not an excuse, it will never be fixed, I bought the game and have a need to vent my rage in an very unconcstructive and useless matter, bad engine, rocket no no nothing, bad engine, KoS, yet I buy this game when what the game is and what it runs on is clearly advertised everywhere including this forum but I still have to vent my useless comments about something that probably won't be changed. Did I mention bad engine?

• Like 1

hey guys what do you think about id tech 5? this engine looks a good fit for dayz. i say this with information taking from my ass but, really, is suits. the id engines work with big maps, megatextures and stuff. look a map from quakewars or brink, old idtech4 i know, but is like it was made for dayz.

Edited by Vandelay