Sign in to follow this  
joe_mcentire

use containers for "passive" loot

The idea:
instead of generating objects with single doors to open/close and "actively" search for loot add just a looting process of/for containers (cupboards, fridges, lockers, etc.) and therefore add these containers into the game world.

The action menu shows loot xyz when the cursor would point to such a container. by selecting, a 5s to 10s animation starts that indicates the looting process. Either during the looting process or afterwards "random" loot items are added to the vicinity window of your inventory.

You could "save" the actual loot for every examined container. but you still wouldn't have to spawn the loot actually into the game. you would need basically some kind of lookup table in place for every (already, at least once checked) container. that way you would guarantee that loot wouldn't change every single time someone browses through.

Cons:

• of course not that immersive

Pros:

• you don't have to actually spawn the loot into the world as long as nobody searches for it
  • effectively more items available for players but without the corresponding load for the server
  • adds slower pace to the scavenging aspect of the game, as there is already more a rushing through in the current builds

Any ideas and thoughts? what could be tweaked? why is it a bad idea? am i missing something?

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 7

Not bad idea :)

But of course the loot isnt spawned in physically if no one is in that area to see it :) (kinda how minecraft works)

Saw a science programme about this theory of how the universe works similarly, but i for the life of me cant find it :(

Your old Avatar used to trip me out joe lol

Edited by Jaygoon

I like it, it's essentially like what fallout etc has it's clean, simple and muchos good!

I like it, it's essentially like what fallout etc has it's clean, simple and muchos good!

yeah you are right. Fallout did it that way. i really would like to see that combination of both, how it is now and with the containers. i would even like to see some loot in those already slightly opend cabinets. you would need to take a thorough look.

I think the original idea was that the loot would be "hidden", and that even a house that has been gone through by 10 survivors could still have something lurking in a corner or under a bed.

However, with static spawn points, this mechanic will stop performing its desired function quite quickly.

Creating cabinets and refrigerators as "loot containers" while still keeping the random loot spawn locations intact would increase performance yet maintain the randomness in the loot locations.

Edited by dromag67

Would it not be easier to just have static containers work like bags except it cant be picked up.

I remember we had an extended discussion exactly about this long time ago on the forums  :)

Bethsoft games (Oblivion, Fallout,Skyrim) are a very good example for how loot could or in my oppinion should be handled in the Sa. A mix of ingame items actually spawning on tables, shelves blablabla ( for the sake of immersion) and loot containers. Loot containers would save a lot of performance since the number of spawned items would be drastically reduced and also would add more variety. For example loot containers could be garbage bins, letter boxes, ammo and weapon crates, suitcases and all kind of static furniture.. in fact these loot containers would work the same way as the currently ingame 1.Aid Kits. or like tents and vehicles did in the mod.

+1 

also good to see one of the old chaps posting ( sparkling wine is on me)  B)

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 2

Not a bad idea.  Although I'd rather keep all loot physical and observable.  Just make every cabinet/door/cupboard openable with potential loot spawns and I'm happy.

• Like 1

Not bad idea :)

But of course the loot isnt spawned in physically if no one is in that area to see it :) (kinda how minecraft works)

Saw a science programme about this theory of how the universe works similarly, but i for the life of me cant find it :(

Your old Avatar used to trip me out joe lol

Schrödingers Cat anyone ;)

Its a good idea. Skyrim used that as well when searching chests, cupboards and cabinets. They also had lootable things that were visable. I'd like to see something like this.

roadmap revealed. and now the certainty: community input made it into the game. yet again!

Edited by joe_mcentire

Would prefer this over the current system. A mix of both would be best of course.

Looting just doesn't feel very realistic or immersive right now.

A mix of both would be lovely. Would also be a boon for persistence since a player or group of players could barricade a house and use cupboards and such for storage.