ThatSwoleGuy

Level of Weaponry Available (Poll)

Weaponry  

311 members have voted

1. 1. What sort of weaponry balance would be most fun and appropriate for Dayz?

• Mostly military grade weapon equipped players, perhaps 60% or so with about 30% of players using melee (new beach chars) and about 10% using other.
    • Less military grade weapon equipped players, 20-30% with the rest being dispersed between melee weapons and hunting weapons/pistols.
    • High grade weapons are VERY rare, at any one time only 5-10% of players at most would be military equipped and the remaining would be fighting to the last bit of blood with makeshift melee weapons, looted pistols, and low level hunting rifles/shotguns.

I want about as many civilian weapon as military weapons. Where's that option? Not a fan of makeshift weapons though. At least not makeshift firearms. I mean On one hand everyone's complaining we have no military training and shouldn't be able to fire sniper rifles like we do atm, on the other hand, we should be good enough amateur gunsmiths to craft our own peashooters? Nah. Melee weapons? Sure, But I doubt there's a need for making makeshift melee weapons tbh, there's plenty. AK-74's should be common, AK-47 uncommon, SKS a tad bit more uncommon, Dragunov and PKR rare. SVU, AS-VAL or VSS and PKP/MG42 should be the rarest.

That's the pattern regarding military gear I'd like to see, at least. M4 would have to be in the rare category, as its a NATO gun.

I want many more civilian weapons, hunting rifles, shotguns, pistols, etc. I want very few military rifles. I want them to be RARE. Really rare.

Yeah for sure - having a military weapon (particularly a NATO weapon such as an M4) should be a rarity, which would make acquiring one even more awesome. I also think scarcity of ammo is a good idea - if you stay alive a long time you might accumulate a few magazines worth (and that should raise the stakes and the paranoia). This would also make people less inclined to waste ammo on killing new spawners (where there will be little return on investment of wasting a couple of rounds), even if they are doing it just to spoil someones day. Might even promote some trade ("I have ammo for your gun, you have ammo for mine"). 

• Like 1

Less military weapons is the way to go.  Even then, finding ammo should be hard. Its way to easy to walk into the balota tents and come out with 4 60-round mags and a fully decked gun. 

AK-74 should be the most common military rifle, AKMs being about the same, but ammo being rarer. Next should come the SKS, becuase its no longer a common military weapon. Find an SVD should be about the same as finding 5 M240s in one barracks.

For pistols, in order here. Makarov, TT, Makarov PMM, Browning HP, M9, APS.

Civilian weapons should have a ton of variety, with several guns that are virtaully the same, but look different and have minor performance differences.

Rifles in order of rarity: TOZ-17 (.22) Ruger 10/22, Single-shot hunting rifle, Various other hunting rifles, Mosin, SKS, Semi-auto AKM, And remingtin 700.

Shotguns: Single-barred, Double-barreled, Over-under, Remingtin 870 (Small Magazine), Winchester shotgun (can't remember model name) Toz-194.

Pistols: Tokarev, Makarov, Nagant M1895, Browning HP, Walther P1, Browning 1900 (all of the previous are about the same rarity)  M1911, .357 Magnum, .44 magnum. 

Man I hope Rocket and the DayZ team ends up feeling the same way as you, OP.

• The first thing they need to do is get military weapons off the coast and put them inland.. As far north and north west as possible and still make them rare spawns.
  • The second thing they need to do is add handgun spawns to the named town/city residential buildings and add shotgun and hunting rifle spawns to the more rural houses or small groups of buildings (that aren't necessarily towns). 
  • The third thing they need to do is cut back on the green color clothing and military garb spawns. After an hour or two, everyone ends up looking the same because everyone ends up picking green raincoat or green hoodie or green cargo pants or green backpack over the other colors. Granted it's because you don't want to stick out like a sore thumb but everyone ends up looking the same. If you have a choice between a red hoodie and a green raincoat, you're going for the green raincoat every single time. Ideally, finding a green piece of clothing should be just as exciting as finding a new weapon.. rare.
  • The fourth thing they need to do is also cut back on ammunition. It should be rare. Perhaps not quite as rare as military equipment but enough where you only want to fire your gun in an emergency (several charging zombies or an aggressive player)

If the status quot doesn't change and you can still outfit yourself in full military garb and weaponry by server hopping to fresh servers and looting Balota in less than 20 minutes then you'll continue to have KOS chuckleheads knocking off fresh spawns and more importantly make the zombie apocolypse feel like just an annoying back drop rather than a legitimate struggle to get through.

Edited by serenityrick

Man I hope Rocket and the DayZ team ends up feeling the same way as you, OP.

• The first thing they need to do is get military weapons off the coast and put them inland.. As far north and north west as possible and still make them rare spawns.
  • The second thing they need to do is add handgun spawns to the named town/city residential buildings and add shotgun and hunting rifle spawns to the more rural houses or small groups of buildings (that aren't necessarily towns). 
  • The third thing they need to do is cut back on the green color clothing and military garb spawns. After an hour or two, everyone ends up looking the same because everyone ends up picking green raincoat or green hoodie or green cargo pants or green backpack over the other colors. Granted it's because you don't want to stick out like a sore thumb but everyone ends up looking the same. If you have a choice between a red hoodie and a green raincoat, you're going for the green raincoat every single time. Ideally, finding a green piece of clothing should be just as exciting as finding a new weapon.. rare.
  • The fourth thing they need to do is also cut back on ammunition. It should be rare. Perhaps not quite as rare as military equipment but enough where you only want to fire your gun in an emergency (several charging zombies or an aggressive player)

If the status quot doesn't change and you can still outfit yourself in full military garb and weaponry by server hopping to fresh servers and looting Balota in less than 20 minutes then you'll continue to have KOS chuckleheads knocking off fresh spawns and more importantly make the zombie apocolypse feel like just an annoying back drop rather than a legitimate struggle to get through.

My thoughts pretty much exactly.

I think that a lot of the changes we are talking about here are the exact changes that make this game into an incredibly exciting and gritty survival.

Emergent firefights are going to be a lot more interesting with a greater variety of weapons and an increased rarity of high end ones.

Edited by ThatSwoleGuy

why would anyone want the guns to be hard to find/equip? this game is shit. you spend hours getting guns/equipment then you die. what a waste of time/life. i've never thought a game was a bigger waste of time than this one is. disgusting that you fat slobs even care about what happens with this piece of trash that you call a "game" i call it a way to waste your life.

Game & Forums are not for you, in all evidence !

Take a break.

• Like 2

as long as the M40 is still in game, and ghillies. I'm not fussed about the rest of the weapons. military weapons shouldn't be removed though

I always think it should be like this:

Most common first:

• Melee Weapons - anywhere
  • Civilian & Farm Weapons - found in offices, farms, mansions, sheds, garages, vehicle wrecks and some houses.
  • Police Weapons - found in police and fire buildings
  • Local Military Grade Weapons & uniform - found in barracks, military buildings and control towers.
  • Western Military Grade Weapons, gadgets & uniform (very rare) - found only at rare helicopter wrecks and often damaged in need of repair
Edited by Lancer 2-2

Is there any doubt that it should be the third option? Anything else is too easy.

I think that it should depend on your location. Since spawning seems to take place along the edges of the map, it would make sense that the farther inland you travel, the better the loot gets and the harder surviving becomes. (Zed city)

I don't think that the best weapons should necessarily be like finding a needle in a haystack, but they should require alot more effort to obtain without dying.

The game would imo be more entertaining if getting the good stuff revolves more around skill than luck.

And to prevent server hopping to get this crap, just put it's major spawn locations right smack in the middle of an extremely hostile environment. If you server hop to get it, you'll either die while loading up or all the enemies will be dead, but the area will already have been looted.

Edited by MystoganXIX

I'm pretty much in agreement with you above me there, I think as far as finding better loot it should be much further inland.

Hopefully we will see a largely increased zombie presence within high quality loot areas.

So I voted for high-grade military weapons being really rare ... but there is an important problem here that the phrasing of the poll brings up.

The poll options are written in terms of what we actually see players using, NOT how rare weapon spawns are.

Rarity of weapon spawns, at the moment, has a huge disconnect from what you're actually going to see people with.

Why? Because anyone (and all their friends) can go spawn on an empty server, trek up to NWAF and grab an M4, which presumably should be the rarest of all weapons currently in the alpha. Then you trek back down near Cherno or Elektro, log into a popular server and proceed to murder newspawns.

Nothing I am aware of in the announced development plan will change this, even once the full game comes out. It's a sort of fundamental problem with the whole system.

The only possible thing I could think of to fix it would be the server somehow intelligently scaling item rarity based on players in the server. As I understand it, currently everything just spawns once, but the finished product is supposed to be things respawning on some kind of timer system. So, to prevent the scenario I've just outlined from happening, you'd have to have rare items become even more rare on low population servers while presumably making common items more common.

Edited by fig0451

Most people do and should agree with the 3rd option really.. it suits the game the best and like you said it adds alot more room and opportunity for a more story driven experience when you meet other players in game.. less high powered weapons the better I say aswell !!

I always think it should be like this:

Most common first:

• Melee Weapons - anywhere
  • Civilian & Farm Weapons - found in offices, farms, mansions, sheds, garages, vehicle wrecks and some houses.
  • Police Weapons - found in police and fire buildings
  • Local Military Grade Weapons & uniform - found in barracks, military buildings and control towers.
  • Western Military Grade Weapons, gadgets & uniform (very rare) - found only at rare helicopter wrecks and often damaged in need of repair
But all still pretty rare right?

So I voted for high-grade military weapons being really rare ... but there is an important problem here that the phrasing of the poll brings up.

The poll options are written in terms of what we actually see players using, NOT how rare weapon spawns are.

Rarity of weapon spawns, at the moment, has a huge disconnect from what you're actually going to see people with.

Why? Because anyone (and all their friends) can go spawn on an empty server, trek up to NWAF and grab an M4, which presumably should be the rarest of all weapons currently in the alpha. Then you trek back down near Cherno or Elektro, log into a popular server and proceed to murder newspawns.

Nothing I am aware of in the announced development plan will change this, even once the full game comes out. It's a sort of fundamental problem with the whole system.

The only possible thing I could think of to fix it would be the server somehow intelligently scaling item rarity based on players in the server. As I understand it, currently everything just spawns once, but the finished product is supposed to be things respawning on some kind of timer system. So, to prevent the scenario I've just outlined from happening, you'd have to have rare items become even more rare on low population servers while presumably making common items more common.

Rocket has addressed this issue in a sense by stating he wants the items rarity being determined across all servers by having a hive wide total number of an item being available.

Example:

Say there are 1 million player accounts (for simplicity). A percentage of total player accounts would determine how many M4's are spawned in total across all servers. So if the M4 has a 5% chance of spawning there could only be 50,000 M4s total on all servers. Now, that is the total number available, but not necessarily how many would be spawned. Those M4s would still only have a 5% chance of spawning at a loot location designated as such. Once the 50,000 is reached, no more will have a chance to spawn until one of those M4s are removed from the game for whatever reason (hidden body, server reset, item degradation, etc).

• Like 1

Remember, this isn't Russia or the Czech Republic!

SVD - Chernarus Defense Force Military Base Spawn

220px-Izhmash_SVDS_Sniper_Rifle.jpg

AS-VAL And VSS VintoreZ  - CDF Military Spawn

225px-VSS_Vintorez_and_AS_Val_Conscript_

Makarov Pm - CDF Military Spawn And Police

300px-%D0%9F%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%

MP-443 Grach - Military Spawn 

300px-9mm_Yarygin_pistol_PYa.jpg

mp 155. Civilian Spawn 

4929500.jpg

Medved 9 - Civ

medved9.jpg

MTs-7 - Civilian

712iu.jpg

MTs-110 - Civ

11012r.jpg

MTs-22 (Bottom) MTs-558 (Top) Civ And Military

5194578.jpg

TOZ-34 - Civ

1979213.jpg

VPO-301 - Civ

5192426.jpg

LoS-7 - Civ

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzua.jpg

AK-47 - Chernarus Defense Forces Base Spawn

300px-AK-47_type_II_Part_DM-ST-89-01131.

AK-12 Possibly Used By CDF. Mil Spawn

92px-%D0%90%D0%9A-12_2.jpg

• Like 1

Third :)

added

• Civilian & Farm Weapons - ....

Tractor weapon, would be fun chasing people in that :P

Edited by Sooden

3rd option,
If thier were to be any military weapons they should be rare and or damaged seeing as they would have been in the epi-centre of all the action and chaos that would surround a zombie apocalypse. you should be able to repair weapons some how ( plenty of ideas ).

i would love to see a crossbow with a red dot sight.. one i could actually aim with :lol: and ofcourse a recurve bow :thumbsup:

Rocket has addressed this issue in a sense by stating he wants the items rarity being determined across all servers by having a hive wide total number of an item being available.

Example:

Say there are 1 million player accounts (for simplicity). A percentage of total player accounts would determine how many M4's are spawned in total across all servers. So if the M4 has a 5% chance of spawning there could only be 50,000 M4s total on all servers. Now, that is the total number available, but not necessarily how many would be spawned. Those M4s would still only have a 5% chance of spawning at a loot location designated as such. Once the 50,000 is reached, no more will have a chance to spawn until one of those M4s are removed from the game for whatever reason (hidden body, server reset, item degradation, etc).

Ah, wow, that's not a bad way to handle the problem. Thanks for the info!

Not really, no.

The most interesting fights I ever had in the Mod involved squad vs. squad situations where a variety of weapons were involved. A couple people with medium-range weapons like the FN FAL or SAW, ranged cover from an M107 or AS50, and maybe a couple SMGs for close-range suppression. This put huge pressure on the squad to communicate, coordinate, observe the battlefield and be responsive and strategic.

Shotgun vs. shotgun battles are pretty much just close range fuck-fests. Whoever sees their target and fires first wins, rinse and repeat. As for melee, I don't want to disparage the game at all, but it's pretty ugly. It's obviously implemented as just "guns" with a range of like 2m, so it's basically just a spam click party with no strategy whatsoever.

Maybe if there were more dynamic melee options, like dodging or items like riot shields to parry blows, or the ability to tackle someone in order to try and wrestle their melee weapon away then melee combat would be more interesting. As it stands it's basically just point and click. The same general level of strategy involved in playing Solitaire or shopping on Amazon.

Sounds like you'd enjoy a game called arma 2.

Edited by TheCajanator

On to the topic at hand; The game would be much more fun if the VAST majority of weapons people find would be handguns (personal defense weapons), melee weapons (also makeshift melee), and perhaps a group of simple hunting weapons (such as bows, xbows, shotguns, and one-shot rifles). Now as stated I don't mean that there would be 0 military grade weapons, I only mean that the vast majority of weapons, and I really mean vast here, would be less efficient weapons. This does not refer to other military equipment, which I think there would be more of anyway on account of military surplus stores and the like.

Right thur, got my vote.

• Like 1

It seems we're lacking the element of counter arguments here!

The poll is growing greatly and also quite decidedly.

Edited by ThatSwoleGuy

Hey guys! I'd like to bump the thread now that there are quite a few weapons in the game, how is everyone feeling about the distribution of guns now?