.VincenT.

Sniper Rifles

Well that ruins a lot of the fun... I loved the rush of running through cities with the feeling there could be a sniper prone somewhere in the hills waiting for a clear shot on me. Some of my most memorable moments in the game was running through a city or field and hearing a sniper take a shot at me only to find myself crawling through brush or zig zagging across a field calling for friends to try and spot the sniper.

Snipers will still be around. Even this early in alpha, someone with a proper scope and good aim can take you down from well beyond 300m. While I haven't experienced it in DayZ yet, in ArmA the ACOG was deadly at surprising ranges there and I expect it to be here.

The OP has already mentioned they're fine with the Lapua .338 as long as the scope zooms. Basically they're looking for an easy killer for targets that are no threat to them due to distance alone.

If you have to zoom in beyond the normal magnification for something like DayZ, you need to work on your aim. Especially here in the SA where people seem extremely vulnerable without body armor, which fortunately I've not had to experience.

EDIT: Also, if we're aiming for some sort of realism in terms of logistics and setting, finding M4s (and M16s) in this environment isn't too wild.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4a1#Users

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle#Users

Both rifles have made their rounds and are used all over.

The AS50 has no place in this environment unless SOCOM got involved in lil' ol Chernarus.

OSV-96 may show up; maybe the KSVK, but who and what are they engaging at such distances when their main enemy is an unarmed mad man attacking civilians?

At least with the KSVK in ArmA 2 it has a PSO scope and no zeroing so you actually have to take a moment to aim and potentially gauge the distance. "Snipers" don't seem to like that, even the "snipers" in Wasteland seem to leave it for those same reasons.

This is certainly a game made for fun, but what's fun for you may not be for others, keep that in mind. Something like that isn't something you can say, "Well just don't use it, let us who want it have it, duh," since it affects everyone. Saying someone who disagrees is just some sad kid who got shot one day and cried is pathetic and shows you're losing ground.

Edited by Diggydug
  • Like 1

Do no one realize the fact you can only carry 1 primary weapon balances out the snipers. If they need to go resupply in town they need to use thier melee or pistol to defend themselves and run the chance of facing someone with a close range AR/AK that has the advantage now.

To be honest that just took alot of the fun out of the game for me, its not hard to tone down a .50 cal to make it a normal rifle, people bitch about killing new spawns fucking sake... All of you keep talking about Realism and all this dumb shit if this was at all real there would be all types of guns just like in the mod, PEOPLE WOULD AND WILL kill on site in real world.. sniper rifles ruin the game wtf is this shit i mean really, Half the fun in mod for me was running around sniping people and taking their gear, and whats this crap about it interrupts game play wtf people all i ever hear about on the forums are you people crying about being shot and to many guns blah blah blah... go play another fucking game Play a single player game... stop your bitching or get better at the game... Be smarter  dont run down in the middle of the streets dont stand out in the open why u fiddle with ur freaking gear.. Get a freaking brain....  Oh all we should worry about is zombies but noooooo i gotta worry about other players more then zombies """CRY CRY CRY"" Your right You do have to worry about other players and zombies..  This is a Game not a REAL LIFE SIM for zombies and if it was! HALF of you complaing about this crap would already be dead from being eat or getting shot by some asshole with a gun that wants ur crap!!!!! Get over it there are good guys and bad guys...  This is a Game YOu will have more  bad then good...JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN.. YOu all cry and try and call people Call of duty kids because they like to shoot guns and Kill other players Get over it... You always die because ur terrible at survival. Face it thats the facts Your just terrible at survival.... 

Lets not add Cars or plans or choppers also why we are at it they are to OP and Of course surrly there wouldnt be any cars or plans or choppers in real life!!!

Edited by +PL+ Faded

If you have to zoom in beyond the normal magnification for something like DayZ, you need to work on your aim. Especially here in the SA where people seem extremely vulnerable without body armor, which fortunately I've not had to experience.

Eh, normal magnification in standalone is 1/2 what normal magnification in the mod.

HMPSUXZ.png

Can't hit it if you can't even see it.

To be honest that just took alot of the fun out of the game for me, its not hard to tone down a .50 cal to make it a normal rifle, people bitch about killing new spawns fucking sake... All of you keep talking about Realism and all this dumb shit if this was at all real there would be all types of guns just like in the mod, PEOPLE WOULD AND WILL kill on site in real world.. sniper rifles ruin the game wtf is this shit i mean really, Half the fun in mod for me was running around sniping people and taking their gear, and whats this crap about it interrupts game play wtf people all i ever hear about on the forums are you people crying about being shot and to many guns blah blah blah... go play another fucking game Play a single player game... stop your bitching or get better at the game... Be smarter  dont run down in the middle of the streets dont stand out in the open why u fiddle with ur freaking gear.. Get a freaking brain....  Oh all we should worry about is zombies but noooooo i gotta worry about other players more then zombies """CRY CRY CRY"" Your right You do have to worry about other players and zombies..  This is a Game not a REAL LIFE SIM for zombies and if it was! HALF of you complaing about this crap would already be dead from being eat or getting shot by some asshole with a gun that wants ur crap!!!!! Get over it there are good guys and bad guys...  This is a Game YOu will have more  bad then good...JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN.. YOu all cry and try and call people Call of duty kids because they like to shoot guns and Kill other players Get over it... You always die because ur terrible at survival. Face it thats the facts Your just terrible at survival.... 

Lets not add Cars or plans or choppers also why we are at it they are to OP and Of course surrly there wouldnt be any cars or plans or choppers in real life!!!

No need to be so abusive.

No need to be so abusive.

you should also send that comment to the ones talking crap and calling people names and total disrespect, but i dont see you talking to them about it 

you should also send that comment to the ones talking crap and calling people names and total disrespect, but i dont see you talking to them about it 

Probably because I don't have time to sort through 7 pages. The report button exists for a reason---use it.

• Like 1

Do no one realize the fact you can only carry 1 primary weapon balances out the snipers. If they need to go resupply in town they need to use thier melee or pistol to defend themselves and run the chance of facing someone with a close range AR/AK that has the advantage now.

zomby apoc game -> sit on a hill and shoot Zombies? NAH! shoot all survivors!

loot em for survival? NAH?! too far away!

game is balanced cuz i am fucked with my non close combat riffle when i go gather my 10x beans +20x water + ammu!

hahahahaha .. go wear a yellow raincoat plz!

edit: realism? i live in a ~200k inhabitants town, i d guess there are like 50 Military sniper riffles in that town (Police + army) prolly less...

Edited by sirpetrr

this is your job is it not to maintain the fourms and make sure people are staying in order???  Not trying to get banned here just saying..

15kg with just 1 magazine that is. 1 magazine containing only 5 bullets.

An AS50 without sights or magazines weighs around 12kg. So if 1 fully loaded magazine is installed, and weighs ~3kg, you'll have to choose.

Is it going to be bullets for your OP gun, or is it going to be medical supplies, food, water, maps and nav items, other sidearms, silent weapons (axe)...

Why is that only a choice when it comes to the AS50? There's obviously not a weight limit when it comes to anything else. I can carry 70 pounds of rice around while toting an M4 and 5 mags like it ain't no thang, eh? But once it's a powerful weapon suddenly weight matters.

Just say "I don't like sniper rifles" if that's how you feel. You really can't justify it any other way.

I don't particularly see what the problem is with a hunting rifle with a scope; as-in that should be good enough for the sniping role. I hope they don't add .50 cal sniper rifles - just because of how ridiculous it is. I hope they add more rifles, including more hunting rifles for variety sake.

Edited by Knightmare

OSV-96 may show up; maybe the KSVK, but who and what are they engaging at such distances when their main enemy is an unarmed mad man attacking civilians?

Bandits who have killed other military personnel and commandeered weapons, armor, vehicles and supplies. Obviously. Like I already said.

and why is a .50 cal so out of line??? really oh cry about the range....... it takes abit of skill to end someone at 1200m + away its Realism there will be .50 cals in the real world you want it to be real dont you??? thats what all you complain about is how real a video game is well you got it and u dont like it..

Adding a scope to an enfield does not make it a sniper rifle. There is a difference between a military sniper and a hunting rifle.

that is not a enfield... its a mosin, a russian ww2 standard issue bolt rifle. Its original a hunting rifle, but can be ussed as a sniper rifle. 

Remember its not a sniper rifle if u dont use it as one. The m40a3 aint a sniper rifle unless u use it as one, a m4a1 aint a assault rifle if u aint using it as one... So a mosin can be used as a sniper rifle or a hunting rifle :) depends on what u are shooting at  ;)

and why is a .50 cal so out of line??? really oh cry about the range....... it takes abit of skill to end someone at 1200m + away its Realism there will be .50 cals in the real world you want it to be real dont you??? thats what all you complain about is how real a video game is well you got it and u dont like it..

That's pretty much the main complaint. People who can't acquire the weapons and those who can but have no idea how to use them properly decide they "don't belong" and come up with a laundry list of asinine reasons why.

M4A1 with specialized ammo totally makes sense, but a .50 caliber sniper rifle, for some reason, is completely beyond the realm of imagining. It "breaks immersion" and stuff, eh? Asinine.

Basically people just hate getting killed by someone they can't see. It's been the same argument since the first .50 cal kill in the mod and it never made any more sense than "Wahh, wahh, I don't want to die."

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

As long as rocket plans to bring other lower grade rifles back in, such as M24's and SVDs I'm fine with not having other rifles, I'll admit the DMR was completely ridiculous in the mod as well, can't hit the first shot? don't worry bro, here's another 19.

I think ligher police and low military grade sniper rifles do have a place in this game, as does sniping itself, everything comes with its own risks and rewards.

• Like 1

As long as rocket plans to bring other lower grade rifles back in, such as M24's and SVDs I'm fine with not having other rifles, I'll admit the DMR was completely ridiculous in the mod as well, can't hit the first shot? don't worry bro, here's another 19.

I think ligher police and low military grade sniper rifles do have a place in this game, as does sniping itself, everything comes with its own risks and rewards.

I'd love to see rifles similar to the M24 and SVD in the game.

this is your job is it not to maintain the fourms and make sure people are staying in order???  Not trying to get banned here just saying..

Use the report function.

Personally id like to see it completely cut down to civvie weapons. Nothing military grade. Also, this means nothing when it comes to tac vests and the like, I can buy those in Wal-Mart. I'm only talking about the guns themselves. I currently have an m4 in game, and i'd actually drop it if I came across a mosin.

Edited by CarolKarine

Eh, normal magnification in standalone is 1/2 what normal magnification in the mod.

Can't hit it if you can't even see it.

Ah yeah I do miss zooming in when iron siting, and it does seem all the scopes aren't magnifying like they should. I've only personally experienced one so far ( PSU for Mosin) but a rifle with the magnification of the AS50 in ArmA 2 is ridiculous.

I was comparing the first level of magnification in ArmA 2 to the second. For DayZ it's not needed. Why you're engaging that someone far away is beyond me except for being a dick.

Where did everyone come from that reportedly played the mod back in the day but only just now registered?

I'd imagine they'd have least registered back when the AS50s were originally removed. O_o

As for SVD, I'd love for that to be in the game. It's not made for killing people 1km away and it doesn't have wicked zoom while also having a place in Chernarus. Even without a scope it'd be a great rifle.

As for the M24, it doesn't make sense for it to be there other than certain people just wanting it there. Isn't a game more fun when it makes sense? Did you people play STALKER games wondering where the hell all the miniguns were? Damn there sure was a lack of m16s there too. So many Russian weapons, where were all the NATO weapons in STALKER???

D:

The way I see it, the only reason people want these rifles is because they're easy to use ingame and quick to kill. You don't even have to measure distance once you're used to them in ArmA because you can judge almost as soon as you see the person. Zero in. Click. Giggle. Repeat.

• Like 1

The argument I've seen for all the "it's a zombie survival game" when they want something stupid like blood types when transfusing... guess what.. those high powered rifles are real.. and it's realistic. So why not?

If we have to go through the tedious and stupid process of finding out someones blood type simply because it's realistic, there should be high powered stuff because it's also realistic. Just saying.. 

The Mosin is a very strong WW2 Rifle, with or without the sniper scope it has the capability to 1 hit kill at long range. Also the fact that it is very hard right now for people to gain blood back, about 50% of the people you see won't have full blood

Well there is military bases. Also it just makes people act more carefully, also whats so silly, good for you, go up there with a hatchet sneak up behind im and your loaded with gear. The people that got sniped in elektro and cherno are just plain stupid.

No offence friend but I'm not sure you really understand this game a whole lot.. perhaps you didnt play the original mod very much ? most players that played alot of the original dayz mod can understand perfectly well why they aren't adding all those super snipers..for the simple fact its just too much for the kind of game this is trying to be..Its not suppose to have an awesome array of those weapons.. I'm sure there may be a few high powered modern rifles but i hope to shit hell they are super duper rare "need-2-play-1000-hrs-2-find-rare"

Without trying to sound like to much of an elitist, if you truly enjoy the game for what it is and what its about you shouldn't really mind too much about not having a nice selection of sniper weapons and just appreciate the more so random occurrence of the friend in your 3 man squad that has a rusty old mosin with a scope and 9 rounds of ammo.. :D 

• Like 3