Sign in to follow this  
scaramoosh

Please fix doors!

They always need to go the opposite way to which you're opening them, it is really annoying having them push you out of the way all the time. A lot of the time as well I'm opening a door and it traps me between the door and the wall and then pushes me through the wall. I just think having them always open away from you is a great solution.

doors will be doors....lol. The doors have their own mind. THEY PUSH WHO THEY WILL! DOOR POWER! DOOR POWER! 

How many doors in real life open both ways? Use your common sense man...

Edited by realm13

You could say that about a lot of shit in games, how many zombies do you know in real life?

It is an easily solution to the problem, that is all. 

You could say that about a lot of shit in games, how many zombies do you know in real life?

If we're going to use that logic, we might as well let survivors sprout wings and fly because running everywhere is tedious.

• Like 1

Go search for "suspension of disbelief".

"Whether something would happen in real life" and "whether something in real life should behave like we are used to" are completely differnt concepts.

Some people's children. Why not make the characters fly too? It's just a game who cares amirite?

lol u beat me to it

If we're going to use that logic, we might as well let survivors sprout wings and fly because running everywhere is tedious.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

OP has a point, though. Opening some doors only to have it slide you three feet back and to the right isn't terribly realistic itself, and breaks immersion. Every time it happens, I'm reminded I'm playing a BI game.

I like the idea. Seems like a simple fix to an issue that's always happened in DayZ.

I dunno man. It's not very hard to stand centered to the door, click, and take a step back.

I agree with this one. I wish the doors opened inward instead of outward.

How does that in any way relate to the logic of this situation? I.... I can't even comment on how ridiculous that post is.

They always need to go the opposite way to which you're opening them, it is really annoying having them push you out of the way all the time. A lot of the time as well I'm opening a door and it traps me between the door and the wall and then pushes me through the wall. I just think having them always open away from you is a great solution.

Ah... you are the reason doors in real life have "Push" or "Pull" stamped into the handle. 

Really, how hard is it to run up to a building and open the door without standing 10cm from it?

How does that in any way relate to the logic of this situation? I.... I can't even comment on how ridiculous that post is.

Because actual doors don't usually open in either direction depending on which side you are on. In real life most doors to the outside open outwards and interior doors often open into the room they let you enter. I haven't really thought about it too much in game but I believe most of them follow that standard. 

We would have to equip every door in Chernarus with these hinges to have them make sense opening either direction, because people are too stupid to note which way a door opens and not STAND THERE. 

208-Double-Action-Spring-Butts-200248.pn

Because actual doors don't usually open in either direction depending on which side you are on. In real life most doors to the outside open outwards and interior doors often open into the room they let you enter. I haven't really thought about it too much in game but I believe most of them follow that standard. 

We would have to equip every door in Chernarus with these hinges to have them make sense opening either direction, because people are too stupid to note which way a door opens and not STAND THERE. 

208-Double-Action-Spring-Butts-200248.pn

My front and back doors both open inward facing the room. :P

I still don't see how flying relates to this topic though..... :huh:

Hardly a productive. But thank you for trying.

And invoking realism is a slippery slope. I would rather aim for immersion.

Why don't you just stand 2ft back when you open a door? :S

Why don't you just stand 2ft back when you open a door? :S

Truthfully because some of the click boxes are not aligned so standing closer gives you a better chance to hit the box.

Truthfully because some of the click boxes are not aligned so standing closer gives you a better chance to hit the box.

Looking at the side of the door that the hinges are on usually makes things easier. :)

• Like 1

Oh how I so want to go to my brothers house and record a Youtube video of slamming myself into a wall with a door.

Oh how I so want to go to my brothers house and record a Youtube video of slamming myself into a wall with a door.

I was looking for a GIF of someone hitting themselves with a door while pulling it open. I've done it when I grabbed a door I assumed was heavy and it was actually light and I put WAY too much energy into it. 

I can't really come up with a defense for that one, it is pretty silly. He said "How many zombies have you met in real life?" as a point against the idea that doors should have hinges that pivot in one direction simply because that's how they work in real life.

It's really an argument about why we shouldn't break the boundaries of realism just because we can.

Edited by Xucphra