CreepySalad

Gun improvements i guess idk whatevs ok

So you're waltzing around wherever with some friends. Blah blah blah, long story short, you get shot by a sniper.

With the current way you see and hear things, you have no idea where the shot came from, most likely.

Even if you weren't hit, you should be able to tell where it came from with something else that isn't sound.

Muzzle flash. You'd see the flash of light from the distance, and be able to figure out where the sniper is and hide accordingly. This isn't very noticeable in Day Z, and it's kinda silly.

Well, let's say your team was facing away from the sniper. No muzzle flash...but there's also no gunshot sound. Why is that? Guns are hella loud. What could completely silence a gunshot? Oh yeah, a silencer. The ones that don't actually SILENCE a gunshot. They're mostly there to hide muzzle flash, and without subsonic ammo, they don't really hush up that much.

So what am I saying considering I'm awful at this thing? BASICALLY, muzzle flash should be more visible, and supressors shouldn't make a gun sound like a feather falling onto a puddle of water.

RECAP WITH SIMPLE POINTS:

-MORE MUZZLE FLASH

-SUPRESSORS SHOULD'T MAKE GUNS SILENT, INSTEAD, THEY SHOULD LOWER THE EFFECT OF MUZZLE FLASH

-ADD SUBSONIC AMMUNITION FOR GUNS THAT DO LESS DAMAGE AND TRAVEL SHORTER DISTANCES

-MAKE GUNSHOTS MUCH LOUDER

SD Rounds are subsonic varients.

While I agree muzzle flash in snipers needs to be more prominent, it's fairly easy to spot a sniper by the dust kickup of their rifle.

• Like 1

Hello there

Also remember, if your  being shot over any distance youll probably be dead before the sound of the round gets to you. Sound travels slowly compared to light and bullets.

Muzzle flash and dust are difficult to get "right" in game, it would be nice if they cracked it.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Visible muzzleflash over distance?? Hollywood anyone?

Yay big muzzle flash!!

300812-Expendables.jpg

Pah, mine is bigger

600px-Exp2-HK416flash.jpg

btw..real world weapons are made so they have a small signature ( flash hiders -yes it's a HIDER!!!- reduce muzzle flash and don't kick up too much dust )

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 2

As orlok stated, it's all physics. Bullets travel faster than sound and thats why you don't hear a gun shot from a distance. As I seen from the Standalone videos, they actually made the muzzle flash. Bullets SD variants should only have lesser muzzle velocity and thus, decreased range. Damage should stay the same, at least at the reasonable range. Supressor makes the gun more silent and changes the overall sound. Apart from the muzzle flash, Arma did everything right ( well, sounds are a bit crappy too). 

• Like 1

U place a piece of cloth under where the muzzle is. At the very least, u sprinkle some water on the dirt underneath it. Even without silencer, it's damn hard to figure out where the shot came from.

• Like 2

Yea, id agree with the general consesus of the responses, ive been shot at a handfull o times, and shit loads o experience o live rounds going past, you can sorta get the range, from the time between the crack/ thump and then gun shot(not if its heaps o rounds, yah dont hear the gun shot, just snappin o the bullets)... but direction can be quite hard to pin point, echos etc make it a lot harder than you think.

As for muzzle flash, at night it stands out like dogs balls, during day light hours, unless its kicking up dust, its very hard to spot. So, i think arma has done as good, if not better job of handling gun fire than any other game... (although i hear there is a mod that does the sounds better, but i havnt tried it, will have to get my A into g on it)

Edit, i should add in, im actually a lil on the deaf side now, so as far as i can tell, it sounds all right to me, on the recieving end anyways.

Edited by KingOchaos

U place a piece of cloth under where the muzzle is. At the very least, u sprinkle some water on the dirt underneath it. Even without silencer, it's damn hard to figure out where the shot came from.

Exactly...apart from the sound, the visual signature from kicked up dust is going to give your position away, the bang just that you are somewhere in that direction and maybe that far away. I you hear the shot hitting close by and you don't have a visual you shouldn't be standing there trying to find it anyway or else you have earned what's coming next...

As for muzzle flash, at night it stands out like dogs balls, during day light hours, unless its kicking up dust, its very hard to spot.

Even then you would have to be looking in that direction and be close enough to see it because it only takes a fraction of a second to disappear again.

Edited by Enforcer

Ok, first off, How did you figure that suppressors' main function was to hide muzzle flash when we have a certain piece of equipment called a Flash Hider. Hmm? The flash hider's job is pretty self explanatory and the suppressor decreases the sound traveling behind the round. Make suppressors so they don't silence guns? That defies their sole purpose of being invented. Might as well replace silencers with flash hiders. I do agree with increased gun sounds and let them have a travel distance. But the suppressor bit makes me think you know nothing of the such.

Well a suppressor for a 5.56 doesn't make it as quiet as it is in-game. You can still hear it within 60m and from the few i heard it sounded more like a normal round but alot quieter, not like the classic Hollywood sound.

But the MP5 SD is apparently one of the quietest firearms around, only audible within around 20m.

What they really need is a PSS. It was a COMPLETLY Silent Soviet Underwater pistol for assasins and special forces. How it worked was there was a piston between the powder and the bullet in cartridge. The piston held all the noise from the powder inside the case, and the only sound was the action working and the shell extracting, but you use a safety-type lever to lock the action, the only sound keft being the Pin hitting the cartridge.

That would be a cool extremely rare gun at heli crashes, being about as rare as the M4A1 SD. Its damage would be similar to the makarovs and ammo would be really rare (Plus only 6rnd magazines) so it would only really be useful for sneaking up on someone and headshotting them.

Yeah but that gun is best up close thanks to the mechanism closing of the gases before it goes out of the barrel.

Even then you would have to be looking in that direction and be close enough to see it because it only takes a fraction of a second to disappear again.

Yea you do need to be looking in the right direction, but its really obvious at night, even with flash suppressors (not to be confused with a suppressor, but yes suppressors also reduce muzzle flash, but by slowing the release o the gases/ so reduces the size), machine guns are ridiculously easy to pin point at night... Without a flash suppressor, rifles shoot out a massive toungue o flame, the flash suppressor just vents/ disperses that flame in a 180 degree arch... still the same amount o gas escaping at the same rate/velocity, just better dispersed. It lights yah up at night.

Yea you do need to be looking in the right direction, but its really obvious at night, even with flash suppressors (not to be confused with a suppressor, but yes suppressors also reduce muzzle flash, but by slowing the release o the gases/ so reduces the size), machine guns are ridiculously easy to pin point at night... Without a flash suppressor, rifles shoot out a massive toungue o flame, the flash suppressor just vents/ disperses that flame in a 180 degree arch... still the same amount o gas escaping at the same rate/velocity, just better dispersed. It lights yah up at night.

what the heck? did you ever shoot a rifle at night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ia1VDp1320

ArmA has the blank rounds effect ( pretty big sometimes disturbing/blinding flash with a short area lighting effect )..it's a little helper for the "non combatants" among us so they at least have a chance to see the enemy.

Edited by Enforcer

Different weapons have different signatures, both audio and visual. G3 and FN FAL night shooting their 7.62, not so bad, while I have blinded a night scope for good with a FALO. So all comments above are true, depending what u fire.

• Like 1

what the heck? did you ever shoot a rifle at night?

I was ten years infantry... so  yea, ive fired literally thousands o live rounds at night over that time, and seen hundred o thousands fired i would think... very few operationally (one contact on an FOB in East Timor) And i have a few hunting rifles, that have been used for pest control at night around my place (been a farmer last ten years) My ole .270 breathes like a dragon in the dark ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ia1VDp1320

ArmA has the blank rounds effect ( pretty big sometimes disturbing/blinding flash with a short area lighting effect )..it's a little helper for the "non combatants" among us so they at least have a chance to see the enemy.

That rifles live fire seems pretty anaemic... id be pretty suss on the quality, burnability o the cordite used in the ball in that vid(is it ole ww2 surplus), but not familiar with the calibre, i would have thought it should be similiar to a .303 (there was no flash suppressor) But talking o live firing made me think o this character and this mini gun.

Visible muzzleflash over distance?? Hollywood anyone?

Yay big muzzle flash!!

300812-Expendables.jpg

Pah, mine is bigger

600px-Exp2-HK416flash.jpg

btw..real world weapons are made so they have a small signature ( flash hiders -yes it's a HIDER!!!- reduce muzzle flash and don't kick up too much dust )

If you got the right frame it would be that big.

However its there for milliseconds and would be barely noticeable.

At the FPS movies run at you should hardly ever pick up the flash at that size.

At night however muzzle flashes should be very noticeable in contrast to the dark surroundings.

I feel at day however it should be dust kick up that is most noticeable.

If you're shot near maybe you should hear the crack of the bullet and then the shot of the rifle.

Arma's direction of sound/ volume in whichever ear ain't always seemed that good though.

• Like 1

well, i shot FALs, M92s, even m16s at night in my military service, and there's no considerable muzzle flash, nothing even close to the ones we see in arma.

But obviously it deppends on what ammo you're shooting, hotter ammos tend to have bigger muzzle flashes, but it shouldnt be noticeable.

Edited by lipemr

Looks like standalone is going more for this aesthetic:

300812-Expendables.jpg

Those were pretty close to the size of the flashes I was seeing on Rocket's Twitch stream today. And coming from an M4A1 with a flash hider. :| I kinda figured it was a design decision way back when I saw the first standalone gameplay... not a big fan.

Looks like standalone is going more for this aesthetic:

300812-Expendables.jpg

Those were pretty close to the size of the flashes I was seeing on Rocket's Twitch stream today. And coming from an M4A1 with a flash hider. :| I kinda figured it was a design decision way back when I saw the first standalone gameplay... not a big fan.

Pre-alpha footage. Potentially place holder/ so many other things for people to work on that its a backburner concern for now.

Pre-alpha footage. Potentially place holder/ so many other things for people to work on that its a backburner concern for now.

Yes, pre-alpha.

Although for a flash to emit from the muzzle, someone needs to create a model for the flash, along with textures and configuration. The flash was also much more finished compared to previous footage.

So that leads me to assume it's a design decision and that they wanted that type of flash. Low priority, again yes, but it bears mention.

Edit: flash shown on today's stream:

wVP1ddV.png

Flash at Gamescom:

tLPt0YM.png

Edited by Gews

I think you should be able to get a can some cloth and razor blades and make a can suppressor. Like the razor blades are to cut the can the cloth is for in side the can. Idk just an idea?

Yes, pre-alpha.

Although for a flash to emit from the muzzle, someone needs to create a model for the flash, along with textures and configuration. The flash was also much more finished compared to previous footage.

So that leads me to assume it's a design decision and that they wanted that type of flash. Low priority, again yes, but it bears mention.

Edit: flash shown on today's stream:

wVP1ddV.png

Flash at Gamescom:

tLPt0YM.png

Assuming is never good. They could've grabbed a muzzle flash from Arma 3 assets just because it took 3 seconds to do so. There is a TON of things in the pre-alpha that have been shown which are placeholders. Bottom line I wouldn't worry too much about DayZ giving you unrealistic Hollywood style muzzle flashes.

They could've grabbed a muzzle flash from Arma 3 assets just because it took 3 seconds to do so.

Possible, but doubt it, since A3 muzzle flashes look much different during both night and day.

dSBR9uv.jpg?1

I understand it's in development so I'm not expecting things to be anywhere near perfect. My concern is that it might not be a placeholder, my concern is that it might have been done that way on purpose for either looks or for gameplay reasons ("hey look Joe, bright flashes from that window, that's where that sniper is hiding").

Time will tell.