SmashT

December Round-up: ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE SA

I wonder if BI would disclose how many units they sell on day 1. That would be interesting to me. If I had to guess I'd bet their looking at a solid 80k customers day one.

• Like 1

so apparently...STREAMS!

I remember this being a big deal for the developers, not sure why though. I always felt the natural landscape of Chernarus to be lacking, specifically with regard to the forests (i.e. colonnades of trees), the lack of a coherent water system (i.e. ponds and lakes that flow/feed nowhere), and a lack of geological structures (i.e. boulders, cliffs, gulleys, etc). I've spoken about this before, and someone (maybe Fraggle?) had mentioned the area between NEAF and the coast (near Olsha) that has some great forests.

I had never been there until a few months ago and it is a great starting point. Most of the map's forests should resemble this area. Small gulleys in the ground, a bit of underbrush with rocks, with a thick canopy of trees.

• Like 4

Things is they have done away with swathes of forests up north for these new towns they are still designing.

I fear for those who expect them all up and running on release.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25
  • Like 1

I wonder if BI would disclose how many units they sell on day 1. That would be interesting to me. If I had to guess I'd bet their looking at a solid 80k customers day one.

If you consider how many people paid for Arma 2 and played DayZ and what percentage became sold on the idea of the SA and are still following it's progress, plus people who may never have cared for the mod but are following the SA's development then you might be able to guess....

80k sounds like a fair estimate but I think it could even be closer to 150k on day 1.

Moar players. moar $$$, moar DayZ dev. :thumbsup:

Edit: I was also wondering if testers will lose their gear when the hive goes live.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 2

Peeps, peepettes... Just curious if there's bean any mention to how borders are to be made for the SA map?

Watching Doomsday on Netflix now, and the first 10 minutes resembles DayZ alot... would be awesome to have that sort of borders around the outlining map...

Pardon my shit english. And yes, watching movies, as I cannot play anything else now in anticipation of the SA :(

If you consider how many people paid for Arma 2 and played DayZ and what percentage became sold on the idea of the SA and are still following it's progress, plus people who may never have cared for the mod but are following the SA's development then you might be able to guess....

80k sounds like a fair estimate but I think it could even be closer to 150k on day 1.

Moar players. moar $$$, moar DayZ dev. :thumbsup:

Edit: I was also wondering if testers will lose their gear when the hive goes live.

It's pretty amazing when you do the math.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rockets gonna need some gold teeth.

Just curious if there's bean any mention to how borders are to be made for the SA map?

I haven't thought about it much. I'd certainly like to see the borders be more than flat plains with nothing there. Maybe have the map lined by a concrete quarantine wall with guard towers? Maybe have some holes in the wall or at checkpoints in the wall which could leave the option open for the infection spreading?

• Like 1

A "no fly zone" outside the walls, a couple of entryways sealed of by dead soldiers and wreckages...?

Would atleast give an idea that someone outside tried to contain this virus and still is.

With the possibility that someone made it through, and the virus spread, it leaves other "maps" open for discussion atleast, with regards to expanding the S.A.

Hoping for alot of discoverable stories/news ingame when they start dropping more and more stuff into alpha/beta after release.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind an endless forrest... sucks if you get lost in it haha :D

I'm really not a fan of a wall of any sort, it's stupid i think. Either make plains like now, or a forrest instead

Edited by Weparo
  • Like 1

A forest would be awesome, but seeing as this is all about a stonecold, deadly, end of the dayz-virus, a containment has had to have happened in "my" honest opinion :)

Wouldn't have been realistic in any other way I think?

But an big expanding forest beyond the wall would actually not be so unrealistic, atleast not in Cherno-Russia.

• Like 2

As far as environment settings... I'd like see a combination of STALKER (open areas), Nether (city), and Metro 2033 (Subways, underground networks?).

This is mainly an opinion on how I think an apocalypse should look like.  Trees/plants overgrowing buildings etc.

However, this all depends on "how long" it's been since the apocalypse started. 

Edited by twinturbonet
  • Like 1

Hasn't the Mod always been there?  Every time I searched for DayZ Standalone, that's whats come up.

It mysteriously DISAPPEARED last night.

Mandrake_the_Magician.jpg

but it's back now.

Edited by AnarchyBrownies
  • Like 3

DVD-dayz2337_zps2fe8d565.jpg

They keep eating it...

Edited by orlok
  • Like 15

They keep eating it...

AHHHH!!!!! STOP!

Would be cool if they had a collectors edition and it came with those glasses  and a toy hatchet.  LOL

Edited by twinturbonet
  • Like 4

AHHHH!!!!! STOP!

Would be cool if they had a collectors edition and it came with those glasses  and a toy hatchet.  LOL

A toy hatched which you can reload!

• Like 6

I wouldn't mind an endless forrest... sucks if you get lost in it haha :D

I'm really not a fan of a wall of any sort, it's stupid i think. Either make plains like now, or a forrest instead

I think it's a more viable solution for two reasons - immersion and practicality.

A wall would fit nicely into a potential narrative of Chernarus as "contained" or "quarantined". Likewise it could be used as a plot device to deem whether or not the quarantine was successful or if the infection got out. Lore aside, it's much more reasonable to me to have a wall than having a bland grass-less plain that's only there due to map restrictions. At least a wall would solidify the idea of a boundary, rather than leaving an unfinished terrain/heightmap readily visible to the player.

I don't think a forest would work simply because it might be too resource intensive to render exponentially more trees than is already being rendered. Likewise it's not really a boundary then if it's made into a forest, it's just a deception.

Which brings me to the crux of the issue, which I've stated before. Chernarus ain't that big. 50 players is pushing it in my opinion, so I'm not sure why they're thinking of exponentially increasing player count without massively expanding the map and why they're not therefore looking into procedural generation. I get why they're not doing it (i.e. because it's difficult) but you have to then work within the constraints of Chernarus.

I think it's a more viable solution for two reasons - immersion and practicality.

A wall would fit nicely into a potential narrative of Chernarus as "contained" or "quarantined". Likewise it could be used as a plot device to deem whether or not the quarantine was successful or if the infection got out. Lore aside, it's much more reasonable to me to have a wall than having a bland grass-less plain that's only there due to map restrictions. At least a wall would solidify the idea of a boundary, rather than leaving an unfinished terrain/heightmap readily visible to the player.

I don't think a forest would work simply because it might be too resource intensive to render exponentially more trees than is already being rendered. Likewise it's not really a boundary then if it's made into a forest, it's just a deception.

Which brings me to the crux of the issue, which I've stated before. Chernarus ain't that big. 50 players is pushing it in my opinion, so I'm not sure why they're thinking of exponentially increasing player count without massively expanding the map and why they're not therefore looking into procedural generation. I get why they're not doing it (i.e. because it's difficult) but you have to then work within the constraints of Chernarus.

Man, I think you totally forgot about helicopters...

• Like 1

well total square footage of exploration just grew by a very very large number when you consider

#1 most buildings are enterable

#2 there are a lot more buildings

#3 the buildings are much larger (high rises)

so even if the map is only slightly larger - there is much much more square footage to explore and hide in - you could have 4 or 5 people in the same high rise and never see each other

also they were talking about adding the ability to go under water in useful ways (like Arma 3).  So if that also happens 50 players on a server might be a tiny number

Edited by oompah

Man, I think you totally forgot about helicopters...

What about them? They can't be stored outside of the boundaries can they?

Hello there

Dont forget that will interiors the useable sq feet goes up vastly, plus include all those new areas etc. IMHO 50 folk can fit comfortably in the space provided without it feeling overcrowded.

Rgds

LoK

damn ninja'd

Edited by orlok
  • Like 2

What about them? They can't be stored outside of the boundaries can they?

You said something about immersion. But if you fly over the wall and there is simply nothing, how can you call that an improve to the immersion?

• Like 1