Wayze

[SA]Trees with moss

Just a quick idea. You could implement some trees with moss on one side. This side would have to face the west (not quite sure about the location of chernarus) so players could navigate without compass.

Wouldn't be hard to implement, just a quick texture and some random trees in random forests with this moss...

• Like 6

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes.

This is the good kind of realism! I really like the idea  :beans:

North.

Where the sun don't shine.

Yup, I think in the norhern hemisphere moss etc. grows on the north side of trees where it's cooler/damper etc.

I like the idea though, would be a good quick way of getting your bearings.

Yup, I think in the norhern hemisphere moss etc. grows on the north side of trees where it's cooler/damper etc.

In Germany it is the west side, because the wind/rain is coming from the west. As the moss is growing where the most rain hits the tree, it is the west side of the tree.

Not sure how it works in Chernarus, but it depends on the specific location, sun is just one factor, because it evaporates the water. In many cases though, not a single side of the tree is hit by enough light to show significant effects.

Edited by Wayze
  • Like 1

This is not completely accurate. It could be cool to have it on some trees, but moss in fact will grow all the way around a tree, on south side, etc, etc.

• Like 2

This is not completely accurate. It could be cool to have it on some trees, but moss in fact will grow all the way around a tree, on south side, etc, etc.

Don't ruin our illusion :(

• Like 2

In Germany it is the west side, because the wind/rain is coming from the west. As the moss is growing where the most rain hits the tree, it is the west side of the tree.

Not sure how it works in Chernarus, but it depends on the specific location, sun is just one factor, because it evaporates the water. In many cases though, not a single side of the tree is hit by enough light to show significant effects.

North west to be exact but...

...so far this can be only used in certain conditions and is not always realiable, but generally you can expect moss to grow around the north side of trees. It is wise to use other sources for verification ( compass, map etc. when available )

North west to be exact but...

...so far this can be only used in certain conditions and is not always realiable, but generally you can expect moss to grow around the north side of trees. It is wise to use other sources for verification ( compass, map etc. when available )

To be exact, I don't think you can be exact...

... why would someone look at moss if he has a compass?!

as long as the shadows are projected correctly, you dont need moss, just a stick...

as long as the shadows are projected correctly, you dont need moss, just a stick...

And time.

To be exact, I don't think you can be exact...

... why would someone look at moss if he has a compass?!

People who forget they have a compass because they try to get gps with their iphone in the middle of the woods?

Tried that in the forest. That shit grows equally on every side. Or maybe I cant see what is hidden frrom me...

Tried that in the forest. That shit grows equally on every side. Or maybe I cant see what is hidden frrom me...

If it's damp enough that shit grows everywhere not just on the right side. I think it only works on the edges, small groups of trees or single trees.

If it's damp enough that shit grows everywhere not just on the right side. I think it only works on the edges, small groups of trees or single trees.

That shit grows better than our lawn.

This was Fraggle's last post until he...went away. :(

• Like 2

let's not talk about it..

So what happened to him?

This was Fraggle's last post until he...went away. :(

I feel honored. He was always good to me. And that he postet his last words in my thread makes me really proud of myself.

Fraggles :(

• Like 1