Sign in to follow this  
jebruhal@gmail.com

If you had the opportunity to add one pistol

Cheers survivors!

If you had the opportunity to add one pistol to the repertoire of firearms in DayZ, which one would you choose?

Consider posting your reasoning, a small image of the pistol and perhaps a link to a Wikipedia page about it.

Edited by Jehal

TT-33 Tokarev, keeping with the former soviet block style weapons, fires a smaller 7.62x25 round but hits hard from the speed the round travels at, gem of a pistol.

fxIxOM9.jpg

Here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TT_pistol

Wholeheartedly love this pistol, so much so, I'm picking up one IRL soon.

• Like 1

.50 Desert Eagle, because it is so iconic. But since there is already someone petitioning it, i will suggest a different one. I thought for some time about the Luger, but since it wouldn't fit the setting, being a rarity nowadays. so i suggest the Browning HP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

x6NPn8d.jpg

Edited by e47
  • Like 3

To keep it fitting with the more civilian style of weapon, I'd like to see something snubnosed in there. 1920's Detective-style.

Cobra_38spl.jpg

They just look so cool.

• Like 3

They just look so cool.

and you need to be in melee range to actually hit something :D

Browning Hi-Power (.40 Cal)

It's my personal carry pistol and one of my favorite pistols in the world.  I disassembles nearly identically to a 1911 (easy cleaning/maintenance) and it fires a caliber that has decent stopping power.  And it doesn't have the magazine limitations of a .45 or .50. 

BrowningHighPowerHC40SW042309.jpg

Taurus Judge or comparable pistol.

Revolver, capable of chambering .410 bore, .45 ACP and .45 Long Colt and some models can take .454 Casull

Leaning towards this when I move to the Big Island.

300px-RagingJudgeMagnum.jpg

Edited by BigMike

ok i want to pull m Browning HP suggestion - i found THE gun for DayZ:

kb8xKcG.jpg

• Like 13

A Tokarev would be indeed a great addition: it has that rugged Soviet-made look of a pistol. I'd say, though, that more Revolvers, ranging from .22 to at least .40 calibers should be added: although not as commom on a eastern european setting, I feel they are a much more viable and believable ''zombie apocalypse'' sidearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Model_605

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge (as Big Mike said above)

Basically, anything ranging from a small caliber self defense revolver to a big, mean hunting purpose one.

Deviating a little from the subject matter, I'd be happy if they just included a wide range of different calibers.

I'll throw my $.02 in here...

From a survival, or even post-apocalyptic scenario, it'd be less probable to find ammo than it is now.  Stop and think about the last time you were at a gun shop (those of you who visit them) and scour your mind for the image of the ammo shelves.  Do you recall what I do?  An amassment of shotgun ammo, I'm sure.  Probably some common calibers as well, but leaning towards civilian ammo--not your russian 5.45, 7.62 or nato 5.56 and 7.62 (they are not truly the same as .223 and .308 although most weapons will fire their civilian and nato counterparts--discussion for another topic).  Perhaps a small amount of .45acp, 9mm luger/9x19, .308win, .223rem, and perhaps some other assorted hunting rounds such as .243, .270, and maybe a little .40s&w.  These are common calibers by today's standards.

Personally, I think it'd be great to have a wider selection of guns--but to do so I honestly feel like you'd have a wider selection of ammo.  Not *more* available ammo.  Essentially a greater risk of finding a gun, but having no ammunition to feed it.  When was the last time you saw .50AE or 7.62x25 on a shelf for sale?  As cool an idea as diverse weapons in-game is, the novelty would soon wear off when the only way to get ammo for that precious Desert Eagle is to wait till a cheater spawns with some and kill him/take some from a crate he scripted in.  

A fun idea, no doubt.  Just not something I personally care for.  I think there are more than enough calibers (some incorrect, as it stands) in the game already--and although I'm just one audacious ballbag who has too many opinions--I feel like there are others out there who see the small details and it doesn't sit quite well with them.  Maybe not.  Would adding more guns and ammo (especially what I refer to as novelty weapons) create more issues? I think so.  

My reply would be to add more common-caliber weapons if you really felt the need to have more and more guns just for the sake of having them.  Things that will eat up 9x19, .45acp, 5.56, 5.45, 7.62 and things that could be a bit more plausible in a post-apocalyptic setting.  Do you really suppose walking through the streets and houses of Russia in the given-scenario would yield cases of M240b ammo and smoke grenades?  Hell, I'd like to live in a neighborhood like that!

Sorry for the ramblings, I'm just another long-winded gasbag.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Edited by TG ! Jimmy
  • Like 1

TT-33 Tokarev, keeping with the former soviet block style weapons, fires a smaller 7.62x25 round but hits hard from the speed the round travels at, gem of a pistol.

fxIxOM9.jpg

Here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TT_pistol

Wholeheartedly love this pistol, so much so, I'm picking up one IRL soon.

You need to check out DayZero, that's one of the many guns added in.

I'll throw my $.02 in here...

From a survival, or even post-apocalyptic scenario, it'd be less probable to find ammo than it is now.  Stop and think about the last time you were at a gun shop (those of you who visit them) and scour your mind for the image of the ammo shelves.  Do you recall what I do?  An amassment of shotgun ammo, I'm sure.  Probably some common calibers as well, but leaning towards civilian ammo--not your russian 5.45, 7.62 or nato 5.56 and 7.62 (they are not truly the same as .223 and .308 although most weapons will fire their civilian and nato counterparts--discussion for another topic).  Perhaps a small amount of .45acp, 9mm luger/9x19, .308win, .223rem, and perhaps some other assorted hunting rounds such as .243, .270, and maybe a little .40s&w.  These are common calibers by today's standards.

Personally, I think it'd be great to have a wider selection of guns--but to do so I honestly feel like you'd have a wider selection of ammo.  Not *more* available ammo.  Essentially a greater risk of finding a gun, but having no ammunition to feed it.  When was the last time you saw .50AE or 7.62x25 on a shelf for sale?  As cool an idea as diverse weapons in-game is, the novelty would soon wear off when the only way to get ammo for that precious Desert Eagle is to wait till a cheater spawns with some and kill him/take some from a crate he scripted in.  

A fun idea, no doubt.  Just not something I personally care for.  I think there are more than enough calibers (some incorrect, as it stands) in the game already--and although I'm just one audacious ballbag who has too many opinions--I feel like there are others out there who see the small details and it doesn't sit quite well with them.  Maybe not.  Would adding more guns and ammo (especially what I refer to as novelty weapons) create more issues? I think so.  

My reply would be to add more common-caliber weapons if you really felt the need to have more and more guns just for the sake of having them.  Things that will eat up 9x19, .45acp, 5.56, 5.45, 7.62 and things that could be a bit more plausible in a post-apocalyptic setting.  Do you really suppose walking through the streets and houses of Russia in the given-scenario would yield cases of M240b ammo and smoke grenades?  Hell, I'd like to live in a neighborhood like that!

Sorry for the ramblings, I'm just another long-winded gasbag.

Cheers,

Jimmy

America isn't Chernaurus. Your logic works for America, but not a relatively small country like Chernaurus. In Chernaurus, the most common types would probably be shotgun shells, 7.62mm, and 9mm.

America isn't Chernaurus. Your logic works for America, but not a relatively small country like Chernaurus. In Chernaurus, the most common types would probably be shotgun shells, 7.62mm, and 9mm.

I'm speaking of Chernarus, as well as America.  How common to you think .50AE would be in either place, during a post apocalypse scenario?  Obviously there is nothing to base this off, aside from speculation, but I'd suggest that "9mm" you've mentioned isn't 9x19 nato / 9mm luger but more than likely a 9x18 round that you'd use in a Makarov, Skorpion, or other soviet weapons, no?  

You and I aren't far off on what we're both saying, I think.  It sounds as though we're both stating how difficult it would be to find ammo in the given-scenario of the game and I think this is entirely true.  Ammunition, food, water, and fuel, would all be commodities that people would be willing to trade, steal, and even kill for.

My main point was the fact that adding more guns (unless they were concentric with calibers already in the game) would end up being more novelty than they would useful items.

Cheers,

Jimmy

I would definately go with Nagant M1895 rugged, reliable, revolver and was manufactured about: 2 million and some were "lost" AKA are in homes of post soviet people.

sVrGlCr.jpg

Edited by Aporis
  • Like 6

Far from rambling, Jimmy, you made some very good points: adding more guns only makes sense if those guns can keep with the game's realistic feeling; meaning: most of the handguns/civilian firearms we find on DayZ are a commom sight on Civilian/Residential Areas, making it plausible for one to search and actually find a wide array of small caliber handguns but

Ammunition per say, in my opinion, should an even MORE problematic and tricky challenge in the Apocaliptic Scenario: small rounds should be weaker EVEN against Zombies, whilst anything above a 9mm should be rarities and, therefore, only used in critical situations (ie, Player vs Player environments).

Your logic about ammunition being such a rare finding that people would buy, sell, steal or even kill for is spot on too. When I find a Makarov and 3 clips of ammunition I feel it's just too easy sometimes ... I want to find a weapon loaded but not check it's clip and see there's only 1 round left; that's the kinda of setting that befits an apocalipse.

Lastly, as someone who had the oportunity to fire a big caliber handgun (not a Desert Eagle but a Taurus Raging Bull .500 SW Magnum), I should add: it sounds cool but, realistically, it's unthinkable of someone actually using those in ANY scenario.

Oh, that reminds me, Tokarev would have a new use with the SA's body armor.

While 9mm and .45 can be stopped by a level II vest, 7.62x25mm requires at least a level IIIA vest, and can often penetrate those, so you'd want a IIIA+.

So I can see that gun being quite useful if those penetration characteristics are modeled, it's kinda like a Five-seveN from the 1930s. :lol:

• Like 1

I'd like to see the desert eagle in a more sensible caliber. The .357 magnum variant for example. A lot of revolvers around the world use .357 magnum, so it would be a lot more plausible to find .357 mag than .50 AE. The reason I'd like to see the Deagle is it is deadly accurate,   coming from shooting it myself. I'd still like it to be an absolute rarity though, maybe 1-2 per server at most imo.

I'm a little surprised I'm the one posting this.

I am by no means a gun expert of any kind but Resident Evil 4 taught me about this exceptional firearm.

The Mauser C96 (aka, Broomhandle, Box Cannon)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_C96

ztBDMW5.jpg

I would think finding the Red 9 variant (chambered for 9mm) would really be a good weapon to have ammo wise.

These guns were used widely in the surrounding regions but I could find no mention of any documented military use in CZ listed on Wiki.

• Like 1

If I was dreaming? The Contender:

76785339.E1zNhHOQ.IMG_0105.jpg

Single Shot break action pistol. Notice the different barrels. With half a dozen barrels you could shoot whatever ammo you happened to find. My dad had several barrels including a smooth bore that could fire small shotgun shells. The sights are built into the barrels and when people add scopes or alternate optics they tend to zero them in and leave them on the barrel so with a quick little switch you can use a totally different caliber bullet that is already zeroed in and ready to go.

• Like 1

Oh, that reminds me, Tokarev would have a new use with the SA's body armor.

While 9mm and .45 can be stopped by a level II vest, 7.62x25mm requires at least a level IIIA vest, and can often penetrate those, so you'd want a IIIA+.

So I can see that gun being quite useful if those penetration characteristics are modeled, it's kinda like a Five-seveN from the 1930s. :lol:

Wasn't even thinking of SA, good call, there is video out there of a tokarev firing surplus ammo going straight through kevlar, let me dig up a video.

http://youtu.be/hNEi7NrAtqo?t=1m49s

and here is the same guy firing it through the kevlar into ballistics gel, just to show you it will still kill after going through armor

http://youtu.be/FTg-TgEpUm0?t=38s