Sign in to follow this  
kevsta545

How long does dayz have left to live..

So I've brought this question to you guys today, How long do you think dayz has left to live?

As in when the forums die and become inactive where it's un-popular and servers are bare etc. The memories will remain of course but with standalone releasing maybe sometime soon it's bringing back the nostalgia of when minecraft hit beta. I had played it since alpha full of bugs and fun and then beta hit, the game grew popular and the sence of having a small community was destroyed instantaneously. Not saying this is gonna happen to dayz and our community definetly isn't small lol. But it's just the nostalgia and me thinking how nowadays I can't bring myself to play minecraft anymore due to burning hundreds of hours into it. In a way I hope dayz SA will be as popular with updates and sustain a massive community like minecraft. But there's no guarantee this will happen. So how long do you think your dayz experiences will last? The memories of course forever but when will you stop playing? I give myself 4 years give or take.

• Like 1

I think it'll last a long time.

Lookhow long the mod has been going. The community has taken a plunge... But it's still going.

As long as the forums are still up, I'll be here posting.

• Like 8

I'd say 3-5 years after the SA the popularity will die down and 'twill be like the old days, the COD kids will go back to CAWADUTEH and we'll have the place to ourselves

Edited by King of kong
  • Like 6

The mod as it stands now is imo worse now than it was originally, even with the bugs. Online is a pvp fest of massively stupid proportions. All i can say is bring on the SA, at least it will be interesting in the beginning.

• Like 12

When I think about dayz and whats its become/becoming is a little sad and SA wont live up to the hype but I dont know maybe SA will blow my mind. it will be fun for the first few games for sure.

• Like 1

Well, I'd say DayZ is past it's prime..

A year ago these forums were booming..now look at it

People have deterred too far from Vanilla. Granted, the lack of features in Vanilla drove the creation of sub-mods like DayZ Epoch and DayZ Aftermath.

However, what you need to remember is that there's probably a large number of people who went straight to Epoch and the like; never experienced DayZ as it was meant to be played.

Standalone will be fucking harsh. There won't be safe-zones. There won't be generous opportunities and it will require a whole new mentality to be adopted for your character to survive.

Quite honestly, it's gonna seperate the men from the boys, the women from the girls and the pre-op transvestites from the full-blown ladyboys - that level of challenge will definitely ensure this game doesn't die anytime soon.

Edited by mzltv
  • Like 10

I just hope DayZ doesn't follow the path that Minecraft did where Notch basically gave up on developing it further and opened it up to the community. The game I bought into in alpha never materialized. There's so much potential, but without a focused effort, it's all over the place.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Minecraft and have purchased more copies of that game than I care to mention. I just don't want to see DayZ lay the groundwork for a great game and then open it up to the community for modding. I can't help but feel that would ruin it for me and drastically reduce the time I would get out of the product. A lot of us have great ideas about how to make games better, but I'm here to play Rockets game.

• Like 2

People have deterred too far from Vanilla. Granted, the lack of features in Vanilla drove the creation of sub-mods like DayZ Epoch and DayZ Aftermath.

However, what you need to remember is that there's probably a large number of people who went straight to Epoch and the like; never experienced DayZ as it was meant to be played.

Standalone will be fucking harsh. There won't be safe-zones. There won't be generous opportunities and it will require a whole new mentality to be adopted for your character to survive.

Quite honestly, it's gonna seperate the men from the boys, the women from the girls and the pre-op transvestites from the full-blown ladyboys - that level of challenge will definitely ensure this game doesn't die anytime soon.

Well it certainly isn't separating the ladyboys quick enough, you've still not abandoned ship yet. :D

<3

If I tuck it between my leg, I can get away with being a lady.

• Like 3

Anyone who was here in March 2012 would say this forum is dead compared to what it used to be. The standalone will bring many strays back to the flock, I have no doubt.

mod is dead has been for a while now.

as for standalone this may be a guess but 1.2333333 years . the 3 is recurring by the way to avoid confusion.

Depends on what dies first. The game or people like these.... ;)

EDIT : AAWWWwwwww yessss, 100th :D

post-165048-0-16156900-1383690864_thumb.

Edited by Weparo
  • Like 1

Personally I don't think the SA will succeed due to the amount of time it is taking to be released. The bubble has well and truly burst and 'Rocket' (should be hot air balloon) has only himself to blame IMO.

Also, the sub mods like Epoch offer so much more than what the SA is so far offering. The term 'strike while the iron is hot' springs to mind.

Every release of the mod for the last year has made it worse.

Every month the servers compete to give you more toys.

The more the devs try to make the game hard again they just expose how flaky it is. They jumped the shark on this one along time ago.

Maybe SA can remove allot of the flaky interface and control things that make it stupid to try to make the zombies tougher, we will see.

The core concept of this game is still amazing, a huge arena that gets dark and wet and is always treacherous, with truck loads of yahoos with weapons showing up every once in a while to light up the night.

There is no reason except their own arrogance that SA cannot be a much better version of the core concept. I will buy that in a second.

What the game is now, I will not buy. No matter how fancy it looks.

Either the standalone with bring everyone back and it will thrive, or its going to drop dead and people will keep quitting dayz. I see no 'middle' or average between the two happening. 

Either the standalone with bring everyone back and it will thrive, or its going to drop dead and people will keep quitting dayz. I see no 'middle' or average between the two happening. 

i suspect many of the core community who might be scatterred across mods and/or other games will get the SA, if for nostalgic reasons alone.. so this alone will bring ppl together again, and then its all about community dynamics and how attractive the SA really will be to the crowd..

i really hope it will be nightmarishly harsh, while at the same time making surviving for a longer period sufficiently rewarding

I think when the SA is released there will be an initial boom in players. How well the game has been developed in the last year will determine the longevity of the game. I personally dont think it will be overly popular simply because many gamers will find it 'too hard' and unforgiving. I dont speak for him but I think Rocket is OK with that.

• Like 1

I think when the SA is released there will be an initial boom in players. How well the game has been developed in the last year will determine the longevity of the game. I personally dont think it will be overly popular simply because many gamers will find it 'too hard' and unforgiving. I dont speak for him but I think Rocket is OK with that.

I hope for that :D

Right now in the 1.8.0.3 patch it takes about 10 to 20 minutes to get fully geared up. And then what?

mod is dead has been for a while now.

as for standalone this may be a guess but 1.2333333 years . the 3 is recurring by the way to avoid confusion.

It really depends on the server. The Epoch server(s) I play on belong to ExposedGaming, and they are always full... as in 50/50 people across all three servers... it is never a dull moment.

I feel that every month that SA dosent come out is another so many players lost. With the barrage of zombie survival games coming out at the moment its just a matter of time untill one arrives that truly rivals dayz. When it does it wont be built on an old engine, it will be done as a ground up project, and will appeal more to the masses. 

If that happens before SA arrives, then i think it will be DOA. All you will have is the die hard players who followed the mod playing...all moaning about the new mainstream game and telling everyone how dayz was the daddy. All while we hunt for a server with more than 10 players. 

It really depends on the server. The Epoch server(s) I play on belong to ExposedGaming, and they are always full... as in 50/50 people across all three servers... it is never a dull moment.

it depends on how you define "dull"

Epoch to me = worse than "dull"

Everyone is implying dayz is still alive.

Maybe stand alone with bring i back, but even then I give it no more then a year before it dies down to nothing once more.

Remember the days when the forums were full?

Where 60/60 vanilla servers were by the hundred?

Where everyone knew what dayz  was and those who didn't were amazed at what could be done in it?

Those days are long gone and it's only downhill. Every devblog less and less people are watching, less and less are still interested. 

Kind of bring a tear to my eye.