Sign in to follow this  
HumanBeing25

DayZ can be very frustrating

I've got the hang of the basic controls after a few days.

I was playing DayZ yesterday and I had ran out of my spawn and some asshat with a hatchet decided to attack me while I had written in the chat that I was friendly.

Then, not long after, I hear 13 year olds (no kidding!) in their microphones screaming in Russian and German over global channel..

Later on I try to find loot (which is unbelieveably scarce) in a town, and I get attacked by zombies.

The zombies somehow, although my ping is in the 30ish, don't take damage from my attacks... errr, yea. And I'm dead then.

Playing Epoch, some asshat in a helicopter starts attacking me while he can clearly see that I am badly geared, and I am forced to restart all over again although I am no threat to this asshat, and although I have no gear/gold/whatever to offer him. I later finally find a vehicle late during the night. I move towards what I think may be electro, and some zombies are attacking me so I shoot the zombies. Some 2 seconds later I am shot dead in pitch darkness, with a poor rifle, no loot, no bandit clothes, etc., etc., and I don't even know where I was shot from. My vehicle did not have its lights on, and was parked very far away..

Today I was looking for a toolbox for hours and instead I found a helicopter, but due to extreme lag in Epoch, I crashed the helicopter and had to start all over again searching..

To my luck, I found TWO toolboxes and a hatchet on my next restart, but I was bugged out somehow and kept getting the piss annoying warning message "overburdened". The morphine I took literally only lasted 5 seconds (believe it or not), making me waste at least 4 morphine packs, and at least 3 heat packs because I thought I was cold..

/GG

TL;DR soloing in DayZ is near impossible on a highly populated server, and with this many bugs and problems, and I hope to God that Dean doesn't add more stupid "You have X disease/problem, and you need to apply Y which is hard to find, to not die or fall about ever 5 seconds".

This game needs less of these annoyances and more smooth freerunning, etc.

Edited by HumanBeing25
  • Like 1

I hope to God that Dean doesn't add more stupid "You have X disease/problem, and you need to apply Y which is hard to find, to not die or fall about ever 5 seconds".

God has forsaken you.

• Like 2

God has forsaken you.

Yea I know lol, I heard in his interviews too that he was going to add more of this insanity.

Not sure how it is in Epoch, really, I've heard it's quite PvP oriented compared to vanilla, but solo-ing is easy, just takes a lot of patience.

It's unnerving knowing no one is watching your back when you're poking around, but if you know the path less traveled, take it, and you will be fine 90% of the time.

________

My frustration stems from how "unfair" the game can be, or just how fair it truly is. I mostly aim to find and fix vehicles, I enjoy it, but then there are times when I spend hours gathering parts, having the worst luck finding something that is typically common, only to see someone drive off in the car as I return.

Or worse, a helicopter is fixed, but just before refueling, disappears after restart.

At this point it's just part of DayZ.

• Like 2

luck is a huge part of dayz..from loot pov to player encounters pov..and the best loot won't save you from a glitchy zombal

• Like 1

Not sure how it is in Epoch, really, I've heard it's quite PvP oriented compared to vanilla, but solo-ing is easy, just takes a lot of patience.

It's unnerving knowing no one is watching your back when you're poking around, but if you know the path less traveled, take it, and you will be fine 90% of the time.

________

My frustration stems from how "unfair" the game can be, or just how fair it truly is. I mostly aim to find and fix vehicles, I enjoy it, but then there are times when I spend hours gathering parts, having the worst luck finding something that is typically common, only to see someone drive off in the car as I return.

Or worse, a helicopter is fixed, but just before refueling, disappears after restart.

At this point it's just part of DayZ.

Or when somebody shoots and kills you for no other reason than the sole enjoyment of seeing you dead, while of course you've never done anything to the person who shot you.

And I always run through forests, even in my cars if I am so lucky as to find one.

You won't believe it when I tell you that a plane crashed right next to me while I was running in a forest for cover. After no luck finding the corpse to loot it, the player who died wrote in chat asking me to go back and help him out since he was apparently alive, but unable to move. I said nope and moved happily on -- best decision so far.

So very easy to avoid the Zombies. You just need to develop the knack.

The trouble I have with Dayz is other players. No one wants to be friendly, as soon as you find one who says he is, they get bored, then you're dead.

With most players you can't see them, nor can you hear them. It might as well be a random dice getting thrown that decides if you get shot or not.

Even a Mod add-on with a spider-sense sort of thing would be nice to tell you there may be a person within 500M of you. But no, they could be running only 10M from you over creaky floor in a building and you can't even hear them!

Personally I think  a version of Dayz with no guns (or only small handguns) would be great. Just me and my Axe, lopping off Zombie heads and finding stuff and generally surviving, finding parts to fix a boat or helicopter to reach a safe ship out to sea?

The trouble with most Dayz mods I've tried out is that gear isn't that rare at all. It's far too easy to run from a dozen Zs and duck into a building and out the back.

Will we ever get hordes of Zs? Can a Server even provide 50-100 Zs per player instead of only about 20 over a square kilometre?

As you can tell I'm like a lot of people, kind of become bored with Dayz as shooting humans just for the fun of it isn't my thing.

• Like 1

After no luck finding the corpse to loot it, the player who died wrote in chat asking me to go back and help him out since he was apparently alive, but unable to move. I said nope and moved happily on -- best decision so far.

Missed opportunity for a quality encounter.   Sneak to the location to see if he is really laying there helpless; tell him to drop his gun and fix him up.  Or, sneak to him to realize he is going from bush to bush trying to find the best spot to fire at you from, and you pre-emptively strike him.

• Like 1

While I was reading your post, I felt a bit sad 

E: Give us the 1.7.1.5 Build back!

Edited by BaconTrooper

I was playing DayZ yesterday and I had ran out of my spawn and some asshat with a hatchet decided to attack me while I had written in the chat that I was friendly.

Then, not long after, I hear 13 year olds (no kidding!) in their microphones screaming in Russian and German over global channel..

Later on I try to find loot (which is unbelieveably scarce) in a town, and I get attacked by zombies.

The zombies somehow, although my ping is in the 30ish, don't take damage from my attacks... errr, yea. And I'm dead then.

Playing Epoch, some asshat in a helicopter starts attacking me while he can clearly see that I am badly geared, and I am forced to restart all over again although I am no threat to this asshat, and although I have no gear/gold/whatever to offer him. I later finally find a vehicle late during the night. I move towards what I think may be electro, and some zombies are attacking me so I shoot the zombies. Some 2 seconds later I am shot dead in pitch darkness, with a poor rifle, no loot, no bandit clothes, etc., etc., and I don't even know where I was shot from. My vehicle did not have its lights on, and was parked very far away..

Today I was looking for a toolbox for hours and instead I found a helicopter, but due to extreme lag in Epoch, I crashed the helicopter and had to start all over again searching..

To my luck, I found TWO toolboxes and a hatchet on my next restart, but I was bugged out somehow and kept getting the piss annoying warning message "overburdened". The morphine I took literally only lasted 5 seconds (believe it or not), making me waste at least 4 morphine packs, and at least 3 heat packs because I thought I was cold..

/GG

TL;DR soloing in DayZ is near impossible on a highly populated server, and with this many bugs and problems, and I hope to God that Dean doesn't add more stupid "You have X disease/problem, and you need to apply Y which is hard to find, to not die or fall about ever 5 seconds".

Everything in DayZ takes patients. Especially moving around in town. You have to creep, even crawl around when neccessary. The last thing you want on a populated server is to run through town with a string of 10 zombies on your ass. You can get way with it in more isololated towns but not a good idea in towns like Cherno or Elektro.

Ive never experienced this overburdened glitch but I have had things happen to me like drink my only drink then log out a few minutes later, then when I log back in my thirst is back to empty and my drink isnt there. These are the things that will surely be fixed in the SA.

It does seem the Dean dude is adding some more annoances imo. Shoes that degrade really? And thats supposed to stop PvP some how? I guess we will have to wait and see but imo it seems like people are going to have even more reasons to kill each other.

Edited by electricfuneral

So very easy to avoid the Zombies. You just need to develop the knack.

The trouble I have with Dayz is other players. No one wants to be friendly, as soon as you find one who says he is, they get bored, then you're dead.

With most players you can't see them, nor can you hear them. It might as well be a random dice getting thrown that decides if you get shot or not.

Even a Mod add-on with a spider-sense sort of thing would be nice to tell you there may be a person within 500M of you. But no, they could be running only 10M from you over creaky floor in a building and you can't even hear them!

Personally I think  a version of Dayz with no guns (or only small handguns) would be great. Just me and my Axe, lopping off Zombie heads and finding stuff and generally surviving, finding parts to fix a boat or helicopter to reach a safe ship out to sea?

The trouble with most Dayz mods I've tried out is that gear isn't that rare at all. It's far too easy to run from a dozen Zs and duck into a building and out the back.

Will we ever get hordes of Zs? Can a Server even provide 50-100 Zs per player instead of only about 20 over a square kilometre?

As you can tell I'm like a lot of people, kind of become bored with Dayz as shooting humans just for the fun of it isn't my thing.

I play on an Epoch server called "[1000+]TANKS! JETS! HELI's![custom vehicles] Epoch! and its IP address is 94.23.63.190:2302

I start out with a golden AK-47 I think it is, and a golden handgun. There's many vehicles in some places, just lying around on roads.

When you start with a proper weapon it's so much easier and more enjoyable to play, than with a crowbar or whatever melee weapon.

Missed opportunity for a quality encounter.   Sneak to the location to see if he is really laying there helpless; tell him to drop his gun and fix him up.  Or, sneak to him to realize he is going from bush to bush trying to find the best spot to fire at you from, and you pre-emptively strike him.

I had a double-barrel shotgun with very few rounds, and I wasn't prepared to die.

I honestly can't imagine how the player could have survived the plane crash, but apparently he did.

I play on an Epoch server called "[1000+]TANKS! JETS! HELI's![custom vehicles] Epoch! and its IP address is 94.23.63.190:2302

I start out with a golden AK-47 I think it is, and a golden handgun. There's many vehicles in some places, just lying around on roads.

When you start with a proper weapon it's so much easier and more enjoyable to play, than with a crowbar or whatever melee weapon.

When you start with a good weapn there is nothing else to do besides kill people.

Now if zombies were a much larger threat by all means start us off with an M16 or AKS.

When you start with a good weapn there is nothing else to do besides kill people.

Now if zombies were a much larger threat by all means start us off with an M16 or AKS.

It was an AKS :)

I steer clear of Epoch. The only mod I play outside of Vanilla is DayZero, and it's fairly tame with loot and vehicles. I can share that frustration sometimes, but you have to remember it's just a game. I was playing with some friends, when one of them drags on a friend of his. Annoying little prick NEVER stopped complaining. We found a Technical in DayZero, and attempted to take out a pedo van at Balota. He turns out to be a god awful gunner(PLAY ARMA PLEASE! YOU WILL BE MUCH BETTER! TRUST ME!), and the guys in the van jump out and snipe him off the truck. We were 15 meters away and he still couldn't hit it. And he blames me. He pretty much whined nonstop for the rest of the night, and broke his legs later on. We dropped him off at his Ural and asked for morphine, and we all told him we didn't have any. As soon as he leaves the TS, everyone admits to having two or more packs of morphine on them.

• Like 1

Morphine? Dude, painkillers! Painkillers stop the shakes. 

See what drugs do to you?

Oh, and welcome to dayz.  :D  (someone had to)

All of the issues are your fault, no offense :P DayZ can be fustrating but none of these reasons are really to do with DayZ.

This is clearly your problem.  Dispose of these crutches and take the time to learn how to play the game properly.  You have to learn to walk....

• Like 1

If it was easy everyone would be playing it.  It's suppose to be hard.

• Like 1

Cars are a waste of time in vanilla and dayzero. Epoch you need them to move shit around but then when I found out your bases could be destroyed, it put me off wanting to even bother, plus thee massive kos and people making bases in the areas where all the industrial shit is - on a 50 player server is highly frustrating and frankly, just not worth it.

/GG

1. Meleeing people, since most play on 3rd person view servers, tend to forget that they might be shaking from pain and need painkillers.

2. if you were getting "overburdened" then you were carrying too much crap for too long and only REST will clear up the issue. If you hear your heartbeat find a safe spot, hit the dirt to be less of a target, and wait for it to go away... then count to 20 slowly. Otherwise it will come right back up. Drop the crap you can't carry far like Cinderblocks, main rotors, tank traps. While useful for repairing and building the only slow you down if you are not actively doing that. If you have a vehicle that is a different story, but until you do, don't bother. Epoch uses the reality system and it is very easy to wear yourself out and even kill yourself because you can pass out from it and doing so while being chased by a bunch of zombies or shot it is fatal. ;)

3. It needs more annoyances, as you call them, because the game is about survival and that means making tough choices. Epoch for example. You find a Fuel Barrel in a barn and you know there is a helicopter you passed in a field about a klick away. It is otherwise in a condition it can be flown although it might need some more work to be fully safe. The Fuel Barrel is heavy and will slow you down... a lot... and you don't have a lot of ammo but this is your best shot at getting a helicopter which could get you to somewhere you can gear up easier. So now you have to shoot the zombies you avoided coming into the barn because they won't take long to get out and with the heavy fuel barrel you will have to stop and take breaks. So, you could pass up the helicopter and ignore the zombies or take them out and get the fuel barrel up to the helicopter. 

Cars are a waste of time in vanilla and dayzero. Epoch you need them to move shit around but then when I found out your bases could be destroyed, it put me off wanting to even bother, plus thee massive kos and people making bases in the areas where all the industrial shit is - on a 50 player server is highly frustrating and frankly, just not worth it.

I've got a base up made by wood. I am about to make it out of cinderblocks, but that obviously takes some time - and cinderblocks are indestructible on my server.

/GG

Maybe this game simply isn't for you.

DayZ was created to be a hardcore, zombie apocalypse survival game.  And it has developed a strong bandit presence.  Also, with ARMA 2, you get some clunky controls and an older engine not designed specifically for zombie AI or with optimization for today's CPUs and GPUs in mind.  Altogether, that makes for a steep and challenging learning curve for those that aren't already familiar ARMA 2.

But I, and many others survive solo play for days or weeks.  And most of us came to and stick with this game for it's hardcore qualities.  There are few enough challenging games to play these days where large, pandering corps churn out one easy mod piece of trash after another.  And even those get further dumbed down when their producers further dumb them down for the whining masses.  Fixes and improvements for bugs and AI, pathing, game controls and machanics are welcome, but DayZ shouldn't be dumbed down just because some players are too impatient or can't be bothered to learn the game.  Zombies aren't much of a theat as it is without furthing weakening them by taking out things like infection or lowering their damage.

Edited by H4YW1R3