Dancing.Russian.Man

VirusTotal vs DayZ Commander

Okay, so, I'm posting this in hopes that someone is able to clarify what this means.

I answer hundreds of threads on the Steam Discussion pages every month, and once again, I had someone point out that DayZ Commander is triggering their antivirus software. What I usually do, is get them a direct link to the installer to make sure that they aren't clicking on the deceptive "DOWNLOAD" ads.

Just now, I was told that the problem still persisted, so I got new virus scans with VirusTotal. And.. Apprently DayZ Commander has a new installer which triggers 3 antivirus software, while the old one doesn't.

This is the scan for the old MSI installer.

And this is for the new EXE installer.

Is anybody able to elaborate what these are, and what they do, and why they might trigger an alert?

ESET-NOD32 - Detection: Win32/Kryptik.BLXE

Kingsoft - Detection: Win32.Troj.Generic.a.(kcloud)

Malwarebytes - Detection: PUP.Optional.iBryte

Edit(from Page 2);

I've removed the new installer completely from my website, and I'm only hosting/linking to the original one.

it's clear it wasn't working out, people seemed to not be reading the text on the website nor in the installer itself more often than not.   My apologies for any trouble this caused anyone.

It's worth noting that any of the software you unintentionally installed can be uninstalled via add/remove programs (like the text said) - but if you are still having trouble let me know, and I'll give you a hand.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1

Are you running all three types of antivirus software at the same time? That can cause conflicts between them where there may be nothing wrong happening.

Are you running all three types of antivirus software at the same time? That can cause conflicts between them where there may be nothing wrong happening.

Click on the links. I don't have any of those software installed on my computer. (Just AVG.)

TotalVirus lets you upload a file, have it scanned by multiple separate antivirus software, and show you the results.

Have you seen what Josh has done to the DZC install.exe lately ? :o It tries to install toolbars, delta search and a whole load of other shite :(

If you have the old install.exe then host it at dropbox and tell people to use that, new DZC is horrid, no doubt to earn money from each install.

I'm not suprised it sets off anti-virus warnings.

*EDIT*

It's no longer hosted on his servers :( It's being hosted at http://secure.oi-installer7.com

He's also now added a disclaimer that wasn't there the other day :

Clicking the install button launches Premium Installer™, which will manage your download. The software is available for free from the manufactures website. dayzcommander.com is distributing a custom installer which is different from the originally available distribution. The new installer complies with the original software manufacturers' policies and terms & conditions. Premium Installer is an install manager, which manages the installation of your chosen software. In addition to managing your download and installation, Premium Installer will offer free popular software that you may be interested in. You are not required to install any additional software to complete your installation of your selected software. You can always completely remove the programs at any time in Windows' Add/Remove Programs

How many n00bs will not know the difference ? shame on you Josh, why not just use adwords ? your visitor count should be high enough to earn a living now, all the Dayz mods advise players to use DZC but perhaps Play with Six should be recommended as it's a safer option.

*EDIT 2*

Seems Josh is aware of the virus warnings and has an official post Here

Edited by PK Richie
  • Like 8

Seems Josh is aware of the virus warnings and has an official post Here

Welp. That's a sad turn for the worse. I might actually offer PW6 as a better option. Though I know nothing about it, or if it has as many mods listed.

I'm sure those several huge "DOWNLOAD" button ads were enough to keep DayZ Commander going with the amount of people mistakenly clicking on them.

Josh pretty much has a monopoly right now because of the fact that he's focusing on DayZ instead of the general ARMA 2.

Thanks for all the info, too.

+breans

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

Please look through the crapware that you allow be put into your software. I have just had some malicious software installed that has captured my start page on Firefox and various other things, because the DayZ Commander installer did not specify exactly what was being installed. I've been smart enough to block at least 3 of the installers, but 1 of the installers has still gotten through - and installed another piece of software.

Now I have to cleanup my PC and do some listening with Wireshark to be safe.. very irritating :(

I have never had problems with DayZ Commander and I have high-quality anti-virus/malware programs. I do not think that DayZ Commander would be as widely-used as it is if it installed malicious software.

• Like 1

There's an opinion for it when you install.

It could be made a bit more visible - but why on Earth even allow malicious software to be advertised through it? Some day someone is going to end up clicking through it too quickly when they're tired or not paying attention.

This is utterly irresponsible.

I have never had problems with DayZ Commander and I have high-quality anti-virus/malware programs. I do not think that DayZ Commander would be as widely-used as it is if it installed malicious software.

It's not the DayZ Commander program itself, it's the downloader/installer, whatever, that has some other applications in it.

It's not the DayZ Commander program itself, it's the downloader/installer, whatever, that has some other applications in it.

Oh, where did you download it from? Also what do you mean by it captured your start page, may I ask?

Edited by Inception.

Oh, where did you download it from? Also what do you mean by it captured your start page, may I ask?

Everytime I start my Firefox automatically an infected website (i.e., a malicious website that possibly drops a malware) opens up. I also have a toolbar, some "PCBackup" trash, "sys" something, etc. I have to clean it all up before it does something unwanted.

For the record, the DayZ team doesn't make DayZ Commander.

Things have changed with DayZCommander, look at this thread: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/149502-virustotal-vs-dayz-commander/?hl=dayzcommander#entry1488375

My guess... The SA is on its way, and soon there won't be much need for a 3rd party launcher anymore. Someone is squeezing the last bits of income out of it before it's too late.

• Like 2

For the record, the DayZ team doesn't make DayZ Commander.

Had no idea. This website links to it, though, so I think the complaint is relevant--maybe not in this forum, however.

Things have changed with DayZCommander, look at this thread: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/149502-virustotal-vs-dayz-commander/?hl=dayzcommander#entry1488375

My guess... The SA is on its way, and soon there won't be much need for a 3rd party launcher anymore. Someone is squeezing the last bits of income out of it before it's too late.

My guess is that you're right

Reading the linked thread, I can only call the creator a total A-hole for doing this without putting up a giant "DO NOT INSTALL THIS CRAP" sign marked in a red color, since there's spyware in the advertised software from the downloader.

It could be made a bit more visible - but why on Earth even allow malicious software to be advertised through it? Some day someone is going to end up clicking through it too quickly when they're tired or not paying attention.

This is utterly irresponsible.

That's pretty much how you make money from your program when it's entirely free. Those downloads take a lot of bandwidth, they don't get to be picky with what adverts they take. I don't like the crapware either but you're going to get it with most free installers, and it'll only install if you fall for the tricky way they go about it. Take, for example, when it gives you a load of checkboxes, three buttons (Accept, Decline, Next)says "Press Next to continue", but also says "By pressing next you agree to install this software". You would think that pressing decline would cancel out of the installer, so you just untick everything and press Next. Accept and Next are both the same thing, but with the way it's laid out you just hit Next anyway.

• Like 1

The fact is that this is being delivered with a popular game utility to an audience from which a large proportion has a fair probability of "falling for it".

Why not be honest and make DZC openly supported by advertising, without resorting to social engineering of the install process to prey on the unwary?

It is underhand and tarnishes an otherwise well-earned good reputation.

• Like 2

There's an opinion for it when you install.

Option*

I have merged Topics and the DZC Topic has been hidden until further notice.

This is the safe link to the original DayZ Commander installer.
I have downloaded without any problems, if anybody runs into trouble using the link please let me know.

http://dayzcommander.blob.core.windows.net/releases/Dotjosh.DayZCommander.Installer.msi

The Forums.

http://forums.dayzcommander.com/

Thanks.

• Like 1

Sounds good Bones.

Do you know if I can consider my old install safe, or if it would be possible to push the crapware through via an update?

That's pretty much how you make money from your program when it's entirely free. Those downloads take a lot of bandwidth, they don't get to be picky with what adverts they take. I don't like the crapware either but you're going to get it with most free installers, and it'll only install if you fall for the tricky way they go about it. Take, for example, when it gives you a load of checkboxes, three buttons (Accept, Decline, Next)says "Press Next to continue", but also says "By pressing next you agree to install this software". You would think that pressing decline would cancel out of the installer, so you just untick everything and press Next. Accept and Next are both the same thing, but with the way it's laid out you just hit Next anyway.

Exactly my point. I did actually avoid installing the last software because I had noticed that I had pressed accept too many times.

And I was very tired yesterday, it was around 1 in the morning and I wanted to get the darn game working before today.. now I'm slowly cleaning up my PC from this scrap crap that has hijacked my browser, etc.

Sounds good Bones.

Do you know if I can consider my old install safe, or if it would be possible to push the crapware through via an update?

The shitware is bundled with the new installer, your original install is safe and you can safely update  :)

If you do need to install it fresh then use This Link Only

• Like 1

I've removed the new installer completely from my website, and I'm only hosting/linking to the original one.

it's clear it wasn't working out, people seemed to not be reading the text on the website nor in the installer itself more often than not.   My apologies for any trouble this caused anyone.

It's worth noting that any of the software you unintentionally installed can be uninstalled via add/remove programs (like the text said) - but if you are still having trouble let me know, and I'll give you a hand.

Edited by dotjosh
  • Like 3