Sign in to follow this  
DannyFilming

How did the survivor end up on the beach? (need help for Dayz short film)

To read the story of the film go here for the full script: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/106405-please-give-me-feedback-on-my-dayz-in-real-life-script/

The script's been changed quite a  bit since then but the same basic structure is there.

I'm spending the next 2 months producing this short and I need to get the script finalized before anything else can happen. I need your help for one thing. I need an explanation as to how the survivor got on the beach. This will be filmed in november so he can't be soaked in water and shipwrecked. It can be ambiguous how it happened but I need a better explanation as to why he's there other than he just spawned there.

The film basically starts with him on the beach not knowing how he got there or where he is. If I can get some help with this it would be greatly appreciated!

If I were you, I would make it so the survivor is put there by a group of bandits, perhaps. He worked with them but something happened, something that caused them to betray him (maybe he let someone escape, instead of killing them like he was asked). They turn up at the beach in a boat, a bag over John's head. The bandits hit him over the head with the butt of a rifle, or a fire extinguisher or something. This knocks John out cold, he lies unconscious on the beach as the bandits throw him a backpack and drive off. When John wakes up, he doesn't remember a thing.

Basically he has too kind of a heart to be a bandit, which is why his buddies cut him loose. Perhaps, if you were to make a sequel, you could explore John finding out about his past life. He could interrogate one of his old bandit buddies or something.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your reply Alias, some good suggestions in there!

I do feel I should have specified my restrictions though.

The film can not exceed 3 minutes in length and it can't have any dialouge.

The bandit story is good but I need to find a way to tell it by adding things to the opening scene, not change it completely or add an additional scene.

They fell over board from a ship while evacuating and washed up on shore.

They were celebrating the night before and woke up in hell.

A fever gripped them from days before and they woke.

Thanks a lot for your reply Alias, some good suggestions in there!

I do feel I should have specified my restrictions though.

The film can not exceed 3 minutes in length and it can't have any dialouge.

The bandit story is good but I need to find a way to tell it by adding things to the opening scene, not change it completely or add an additional scene.

Ok, how about you show a struggle on the bots as the intro. You could have someone being shot, this angers John so he gets into a fight with the executioner and the brawl results in him being punched and falling overboard. He wakes the next morning on the beach. I'm imagining this being done at the crack of dawn, the sun is only just rising. Everyone is a shadowy figure, you can't really make out any faces, just shapes.

Of course, this idea requires a reasonable sized boat, I don't know if you have access to one since their so expensive.

DayZ Virus:

-airbourne

-90% of infected people die

-9% turn into zeds

-1% are immune

-people try to escape via planes and cars

-> escape routes per land are blocked, planes are gone

-> people try to escape via ships

-> people on ship turn into zeds

-> immune people jump off the ships

-> immune people end up on the beach

Short Intro...

He had previously been inland had had ran to the coast to escape, what is now known as the "infected".

He awoke on the beach after sleeping off his exhaustion.

Short Intro...

He had previously been inland had had ran to the coast to escape, what is now known as the "infected".

He awoke on the beach after sleeping off his exhaustion.

I am not quite sure if he wants the movie to be like DayZ. In DayZ obviously almost all survivors end up on the beach. A individual scenario wouldn't work.

But if that is no the case, your idea is simple and good.

Edited by Wayze

We see him at the start being chased down a pier by men covered in blood ,zombies, they are covered in blood and running towards him at enormous speed - fixated - he backs towards the far end of the pier in a panic.

-CUT-

He is now at the end of the pier, pretty much surrounded by the rapid humans as one of the zombies lunges towards him and he falls off the edge of the pier...

-CUT-

...landing ass first in a little boat.

The zombies stand on the pier, not daring to jump after him and he manages to get the engine started and makes his way down the coast.

-CUT-

He is a lot further down the coast when he spots somebody trying to get his attention so he heads his boat towards the coast to see what it is.

-CUT-

Turns out the person trying to get his attention is a 'bandit' who waits until he disembarks from the boat and gives him a nice CRACK in the head when he turns around.

-CUT-

You wake up after an hour or so covered in sand, wet to the core with the waves lapping up and over your legs, the time you spent unconscious playing havoc on your memory - you finally get the strength to stand upright.

-CUT-

Boat gone.
Bandit gone.
Things in his bag, all but gone save a flashlight a bandage and a few clothing items.
You are LOST.
The world has changed and people are doing whatever they must to ensure their own survival but you are still unsure about exactly what just happened.
You are still naive.. for now.

DAYZ yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Edit: At this point he still isn't sure what's happening, he knows that some people are total dicks though which would allow you to expand a lot - once he finds the body he will still be unsure of what is happening but he definitely knows something is wrong but he is still unsure how to handle the situation.

Edited by Rossums

He got plastered the night before at the Elektro pub and crashed out on the beach in his drunken state.

We see him at the start being chased down a pier by zombies, he backs towards the far end of the pier in a panic.

-CUT-

He is now at the end of the pier, pretty much surrounded as a zombie lunges towards him and he falls off the pier... landing ass first in a little boat.

-CUT-

The zombies stand on the pier, not daring to jump after him and he manages to get the engine started and makes his way down the coast.

Why would the zombies be afraid of jumping after him?

• Like 1

Time travel of course. Like planet of the apes.

He was an astronaut who went on a really long mission and when he comes back, things are messed up. His capsule crashes into the ocean and he barely makes it out alive.

• Like 1

He was a simple fisherman out at sea and wasn't affected by the viral infection inland :) as the people tried to escape they took boats, yachts and ships out to sea, one of them crashed into his small fishing boat and it capsized, he drifted and eventully woke on land.

Works for me :D

Why would the zombies be afraid of jumping after him?

I think it was more a poor choice of words on my part, lets assume they can't reach since he fell out quite a distance and into the boat.

They aren't really capable of jumping and navigating properly so they would probably fall in, I just kept them stuck up top since it's an engine limitation (They normally run back to shore and start swimming) and probably a pain in the ass to implement in a video without a lot of tweaking.

Their swimming isn't the greatest either.

The guy was out at a bar, with a brigade of strippers, they decided to go to the beach and have a wild orgy, he wakes up the next day to see the strippers leaving on a huge yacht. He looks sad :( but turns around to see where he is. That's when he notices his willy is really itchy. It's a race against time, he must find meds to stop this willy rash but then OMG! zombies!!!! run quick...oohh my willy i need to scraaaaarrrrghhhh ...zombiesss!!!! ooh my willy must get to hospital...

i thought a home scene with part of family dead and some like the wife turned in a zombal and chasing the guy..running in panic in the dark, he looses the zombie,comes to the beach and watches left and sees the city burning in riots..he faints..

Let's say that the survivor is a American tourist whose plane landed on Utes and takes a ferry to the mainland. Some time during the boat trip, the crew and passengers become infected and he is thrown off the ship. He washes ashore, unconscious and freezing.

Have you read the book Survivors and Bandits? Great book, and it starts out with survivors on the beach.