Safire (DayZ)

How much are you willing to pay for DayZ Standalone ?

For alpha, about 10-20 $

For Beta 25-30 $

Full Release 35-50 $

I really hope it is a cheap alpha, especially if it is really really full of bugs, should be even  cheaper.

Im not a bot, 2+2 is 4 :-D

You're one smart bot, I see. But you ain't fooling me.

I can smell your oil leak from here, peasant.

For alpha, about 10-20 $

For Beta 25-30 $

Full Release 35-50 $

I really hope it is a cheap alpha, especially if it is really really full of bugs, should be even  cheaper.

It's not going to be cheap. Dean said he wanted few players for the alpha due to server load, so he would (probably) overprice the alpha so as to only get few players in.

It depends on a few things. Would the SA allow for modding and mapping? Is the SA built on it's own engine or did they get a license of another engine? If they did get a licensed engine, did it cost them anything?

These are important because if they're using someone else's engine for free, then it should cost less. If they're using their own engine, then it should cost more because engine building takes a LOT of work. However, because it's come around soo fast, I don't think they're making their own engine.

All the same I think $15-$20 US for the final product would be fair.

For the Alpha, $5-10. The Beta should be $10-$15. I give these prices because you never know HOW long it'll take to complete the game, and more importantly, if it ever WILL be "complete". If there will be modding and mapping tools available, then I think each stage could cost another $5-10 each, because tools extended the lifetime of the game (still lots of people playing CoD:MW1 mods and that game is almost 6 years old).

Edited by treeHamster

It depends on a few things. Would the SA allow for modding and mapping? Is the SA built on it's own engine or did they get a license of another engine? If they did get a licensed engine, did it cost them anything?

These are important because if they're using someone else's engine for free, then it should cost less. If they're using their own engine, then it should cost more because engine building takes a LOT of work. However, because it's come around soo fast, I don't think they're making their own engine.

All the same I think $15-$20 US for the final product would be fair.

For the Alpha, $5-10. The Beta should be $10-$15. I give these prices because you never know HOW long it'll take to complete the game, and more importantly, if it ever WILL be "complete". If there will be modding and mapping tools available, then I think each stage could cost another $5-10 each, because tools extended the lifetime of the game (still lots of people playing CoD:MW1 mods and that game is almost 6 years old).

You're new here, I can tell by what you wrote :p

Dedicated players know all the above and what price they expect to pay, Dean and all the mod team should be rewarded for work done on the mod, the standalone should make Dean and BIS quite a lot of cash.

I'd price the Alpha at £20, Beta at £30 and full RC at £45, then we'll have DLC (hopefully)

You're new here, I can tell by what you wrote :P

Dedicated players know all the above and what price they expect to pay, Dean and all the mod team should be rewarded for work done on the mod, the standalone should make Dean and BIS quite a lot of cash.

I'd price the Alpha at £20, Beta at £30 and full RC at £45, then we'll have DLC (hopefully)

Actually I'm pricing the game based on the fact that they are likely to have NO marketing outside of social media (which is free), they have no sales team, little to no legal, basically their overhead will be zero unless they setup the game as an MMO. Even in that case, if they're the ones renting servers out, then they should pay for their server overhead through rental fees.

The only server overhead they will have to pay for is for the website, the handful of servers during development, and game distribution (if they don't do it through Steam or some other online game disto platform).

You guys are pricing the game in line with AAA titles which have costs that FAR exceed the development and move into areas that Dean and the rest of the team don't have to pay for. So in other words, you're overpricing the product (something that is becoming notorious in the Indy game industry).

Go back 5 years and PC games sold direct to consumer outside of the major headline titles, would sell for $5-$15 for final version from indy studios with major development reps. You guys shouldn't start throwing prices out there without knowing the dev's cost.

My problem with the game industry has always been people trying to make cash cows by pricing hype rather than the quality of the game and trying to get the highest distribution possible. I think this game could be good, but the devs shouldn't price the early versions based on hype because the people that are likely to pay insane sums want it for wanting it rather than wanting it because they want to help with the game development. You can see this in Rust already. The Garry did a Dutch auction to sell it and it took a month for the price to go from $60's to $20's. Even still, the game is full of little kids and jackasses that just run around KoS instead of running around looking for bugs (which is the JOB of the alpha tester).

Higher pricing on final games is because of the risk in producing games without a payout (until distribution). By selling into alpha, the devs are taking some of that risk off the table up front, which means the final product should cost less (an in turn, the early access should cost less as well). ASP will end up going down but risk per unit goes way down as well. Marketing gets taken care of through rep building as the game gets developed (publicly).

Edited by treeHamster

What i meant was all the questions you ask have been answered :)

Would the SA allow for modding and mapping?

Not on release, It's possible in the future but to prevent all the scripting and cheating it's locked client side.

Is the SA built on it's own engine

It uses BIS TOH engine 2.5

What i meant was all the questions you ask have been answered :)

Not on release, It's possible in the future but to prevent all the scripting and cheating it's locked client side.

It uses BIS TOH engine 2.5

Oh ok. Well then the price should be lower because the lifespan of the game would depend entirely on the devs. If they're having to pay for the licenses, then it should be factored into the game price (of course). I am just not sure what the cost of the engine license is (they are usually some percentage of sales).

Oh ok. Well then the price should be lower because the lifespan of the game would depend entirely on the devs. If they're having to pay for the licenses, then it should be factored into the game price (of course). I am just not sure what the cost of the engine license is (they are usually some percentage of sales).

They don't need an engine license because the engine is developed by Bohemia Interactive in house. Actually, a lot of assets and such are covered by Bohemia. One of the last decent game companies imho

I'd pay up to $25 but doesn't mean I'd be happy about it.

$20 I am comfortable with, $15 I am eager to part with to play in an incredibly buggy and frustrating state.

I said $35 because that is the max I would like to pay for the SA. I would pay more if they made it so, and I would also REALLY like to pay $20.

They don't need an engine license because the engine is developed by Bohemia Interactive in house. Actually, a lot of assets and such are covered by Bohemia. One of the last decent game companies imho

Oh ok so Rocket works for Bohemia Interactive? I thought he was just some guy that made a mod for ArmA 2 called DayZ. If he's part of BI, then that's something different.

If he's using BI's ArmA engine, and doesn't expressly work for BI, then he would have to pay for the license (unless BI is letting him have the engine for the SA in the understanding that he still does work on the mod which is to be free and requires the purchase of ArmA 2 or 3). I could understand the second situation because he pays for the SA engine license through his work for the mod (which would increase ArmA sales).

Edited by treeHamster

I would pay whatever because I'm not a tight c***t and I know they will do an awesome job

A million dollars and a fueled jumbo jet on standby in the airport.