piffaroni

Will the release of the single player game signal the death of the modding community?

Hello there

I think modding should be severely limited at first. Or permissible only in areas of the code where exploiting etc cannot be achieved.

I would like to see a framework though that would allow mods to be submitted to  the devs for consideration of inclusion in patches etc.

I dont want to see the standalone bastardised and watered down as we have seen the mod.

Saying that, modability has proven to expand a games shelf life, so it might be an idea to open up the game further down the line.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 1

Personally I hope it never becomes modable, if it ever does (which I doubt) I don't think it'll be for a long time to come.

i pray it doesn't as that's the whole reason i want to play standalone !

some modding yes okay maybe acceptable but once you allow a bit of this and that it opens for other things.

with server tools for admins for eg will this not be allowed 100 percent ? like live tracking of players . what if server rental groups make tools ? will these be allowed ?

also people had plugins for phones showing loot and heli crashes and to see where other things are this aswell. thats why it should all be locked and only the dev team make the content.

id rather have content dlc paid and a fair game that a no dlc game and people mod exploit it !

• Like 2

One aspect of potential modding that rocket has mentioned is maybe providing tools and even training that allow the community to create new maps that would then have to be ok'd by Bi and then released as dlc.

I think thats one example of a great way to involve the mod community without risking the security and core concepts of dayz.

• Like 1

OP thinking Standalone is mean Playalone :lol:

For example, the direction  the game is going by "banning the AS50 and M107". Many people complain they miss the guns. A simple on off switch would have been nice, but to remove it because someone doesnt see a place for it because its "to strong"

It wasn't removed because it was too strong. It was removed due to the amount of dupers and hackers exploiting this gun.

Mods save Arma, mods killed some of the DayZ.

This is so not true.

Its not the mods who killed some of DayZ. In fact its exactly the opposite! They kept it alive while the dev team "renewed" their concept and development direction and the game stagnated for month!

If there wouldnt be Epoch, Overwatch, DayZero, Origins etc etc. so many people would have lost interest in DayZ in general. In 90% of the cases modding is passion and love from the people who love their game (ye i sayed 90% because there is stuff like origins ;) )

How can people say modding is a bad thing?! What is vanilla DayZ? A mod! A mod of Arma2! Rocket created it out of passion and love sitting in some shitty swamp or whatever. Who knows what possiblities and pottential the the SA will have to invent other new crazy stuff and funny games. Modding made it possible to swing the crowbar and fire the rocketlauncher 5 million times more then people normaly would have! I dont even wanna talk about TeamFortress, CounterStrike and so on.

Modding is passion and commitment.

• Like 2

Standalone titles dont get modded.... they get expanded....

DayZ Expansion (new cities, expanded map, new gear, new skins, new vehicles, etc....)

If ANYthing thats all I would like to see... 

Not free lance modding that would be absurd, as is alot of mod servers at the moment.

The only reason "mods saved dayz mods" is because the focus of a small to begin with dev team is split at the moment between two games.  Once all focus shifts to the SA and getting it working to its fullest extent, and expanding on that, all will be gravy.

I would say its a more accurate statement to say that mods have slowed down the standalone development, in the mean time keeping people interested in a skewed version of a real game thats about to be released into testing.

Edited by JPWiser

lol single player dayz wouldnt be very fun

on one hand i like mods that add new features, from self bloodbagging for when im playing alone, to interesting things like epochs base building system
on the other hand, alot of mods ruin the core experience, from bathtub vehicles in origins to "most weapons ever" mods like breaking point
so if BI ever do want to bring in modding, i hope its only open to a handful of select people/groups, who can do great work with the game, and with the engine.  

Lets not forget that currently the dayz mod is run by a modding team, not BI, and they have improved dayz alot since rocket stopped working on it

• Like 1

wow...

jesus christ, if i was that naive I probably would have watched and read some stuff about dayz SA before posting...and in that research would have found how ignorant this post is...

fyi, you want singleplayer? DAIZY is the single player modding forum, also fun and well done.

DayZ Stanadlone will be DayZ - it WILL sell, I can guarantee you that

How many copies do you "guarantee" will sell?

Well I know at least three people that are going to buy it.  So that's three right there.

As salamander Ander said, dayz the mod has turned into a death match due to people modding the game. For example, servers with 2 million vehicles 24/7 day with extra barracks in every town etc. I hope SA will never be open to modding so we can never see what has happened to the mod happen to SA. If you like what the mod has become, then continue to play the mod. Please don't whine about the SA and how you have been:

EDIT: I have no idea why the text above is highlighted in white.^^

If you want that experience play the mod, because thats not what Dayz is about.

If you don't like the "extra barracks" servers.... well.

Fuck it. I agree with you. although adding another set of barracks to NWAF is useful to make it more worth the risk, the way they do it now is really stupid. SA should be open to modding, though.

Well I know at least three people that are going to buy it.  So that's three right there.

count me as number 4 :D

Well look at how many The War Z sold and it was a steaming pile of shit with no existing userbase.

If you don't think DayZ will sell many copies, regardless of condition, you're being extremely naive.

There was a poll on the forums a while back too, the majority of players said they would buy it whenever it came out and they didn't really care how long it took.

DayZ Stanadlone will be DayZ - it WILL sell, I can guarantee you that - it's going to be real DayZ though, not the bastardised waste of space that a lot of players play.

Most players would be better suited to playing Wasteland or Arma II, they are not playing DayZ for DayZ which seems a little pointless to me, if they simply want to spawn with weapons and shoot other people there are plenty of games which allow this at a much more refined level.

It will be brutal, it will be unforgiving, it will be DayZ.

And I can't wait for that. Kudos, friend.

Not saying I don't enjoy a good TDM on BF3 once and a while but I want my pure DayZ experience back without the absurd gameplay smashing mods that are out. That being said, I do appreciate the new maps running under a 'pure' dayZ ruleset.

Standalone titles dont get modded.... they get expanded....

They get modded when nice publishers allow it, they don't get modded when greedy publishers want to make $$$ from their DLC packs (DICE, EA and those non-existent Battlefield 3 mod tools anyone?).

if BI ever do want to bring in modding, i hope its only open to a handful of select people/groups, who can do great work with the game, and with the engine. 

Ugh, that sounds like a great way to encourage community and creativity.

OP sounds like your average 11 year old, srs.

OP sounds like your average 11 year old, srs.

He misunderstood, no need to be so negative.

Bet he didn't get his CD key stolen.