bfisher

Going back to your body to get your gear

You know the deal.  You made a stupid mistake and got killed by zombies, bandits, a rock, fell off a roof, whatever.  Fortunately you did it near a recognizable landmark and re-spawned close enough to make a bee-line back to your old body to pick up your stuff.

But is it legit?

I've done it.  As recently as a few days ago.  But somehow it doesn't feel right.  My last character had earned that equipment.  Mostly by taking it from people I had stalked and killed (who had superior numbers) or by sneaking into the most dangerous dark corners of Chernarus.  Now it feels like it doesn't even fit.  And no longer having the camo clothing doesn't help matters either.

In all fairness, I was killed by a tree branch, so I don't feel that bad about it.  But the DayZ purist in me thinks it is better to simply start over.  Although my DMR and NVGs is sooo sweet!

Thoughts?

Umm i always go.back to my body if i can i hate it when i get greedy and attempt to go in and loot i die and then bam restart

I think its all good. It takes some of the sting out of dying especially when you have your fav gun and gear that took you forever to find.

On the other hand with the massive amount of loot u can likely find it again as quick as you can get to your body in some cases. On top of that picking your spawn can make it much easier to get back to your body. But I think its legit. Alot of times if you rush back to your body you will end just getting yourself killed.

And if someone kills you then your likely not getting your stuff back anyway, they will either loot you or be there waiting for you to come back and try to get your body.

And think its legit and an important part of the game. Knowing I have a chance to get my stuff back keeps me playing alot of times.

The other day I made a 30 minute run across the map and literally as some as I got to my body and put my finger on the G button the server restarted. No restart warnings on the server I was on. It hurt bad, I had an M4A3 CCO, my fav gun (besides maybe the M14).

If you couldnt get back to your body, it would essentially waste hours of play time you were on with that life. As it is now you at least have a chance to pick up where you left off.

Edited by electricfuneral

Depends, I've ran back to my body on more than a few occasions.  Sometimes Ignoring everything else just to get back, but that's usually when I die in a 'fucked up' manner (usually from a glitch or a one shot zombie).  Usually if I'm killed by another player I don't head straight for my body.  Anything 'good' would probably be gone anyway, and of course they'd still be in the area.  I will eventually go back to check my body but sometimes just by gearing up on the way back I get better/enough gear for me to say 'screw it'.

• Like 1

Done it and haven't done it. Don't feel too bad about it. If I really wanted the gear back, I'll hoof it to get it, but usually I am relieved that I can play as a new spawn again and feel the rush of discovery and danger that comes with gearing up, whether that's in the Cherno-Elektro coast or heading inland to Zelano.

It's almost a split personality thing, when I'm geared I feel paranoid and my risk taking decreases because I don't want to die and start over, but when it happens I'm like 'sweet! I can run around with a winnie and axe again carefree!'.

I'd rather they implemented random spawns making it very hard to make it back to your body.
Yes you need loot, yes you've already earned it but it's just against the spirit of the game and really taking advantage of the limited mechanics that have been implemented.

Perma-death is a big part of the game, just running back to your body to pick up your old stuff really isn't right - if it's a silly glitch or bug, fair enough - after dying s just bad though.

It doesn't really matter how long you've spent getting it, it doesn't matter how many days you've had it, it really doesn't matter if you feel someone killed you for no reason - if you get attached to your gear, DayZ is NOT the game for you and constantly running back to your body after being killed is not something that should be enouraged.

Once you are dead, you are dead.

• Like 1

I have done it before but i'm not a fan of the fact you can loot your own body.

In the mod there isn't really much that can be done barring the body disappearing but this then penalises the person that has shot you or finds your body legitimately.

I suppose with the SA at least gear would be damaged or destroyed depending on how you died so running to your corpse may not be worth it.

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 1

Depends, I've ran back to my body on more than a few occasions.  Sometimes Ignoring everything else just to get back, but that's usually when I die in a 'fucked up' manner (usually from a glitch or a one shot zombie).  Usually if I'm killed by another player I don't head straight for my body.  Anything 'good' would probably be gone anyway, and of course they'd still be in the area.  I will eventually go back to check my body but sometimes just by gearing up on the way back I get better/enough gear for me to say 'screw it'.

My way of looking at it too.

I don't think I should be able too but I can, so if I get gimped by a glitch I will try and get back if I've got anything of note.

As you say sometimes you end up with a better setup along the way back.

Edited by RogueNZ

That moment when you run from Kamenka to Berezino to get your gear back, finally in sight of your body and the server restarts. 

I was hoping they would implement something like a timer on dead bodies long ago.

• Like 2

That moment when you run from Kamenka to Berezino to get your gear back, finally in sight of your body and the server restarts. 

I was hoping they would implement something like a timer on dead bodies long ago.

Good point from Het there. Its not like you get your gear back for free when you die. To me, there are two things which makes it kinda legit.

1. Find it again before someone else finds it.

2. Find it before the server restarts.

Since there is a challenge involved i think its cool. Besides that, when you die to a gunfight your corpse will get looted and/or hidden anyways.

Edited by m.cab

With the large percentage of my deaths being due to bugs or mechanics/physics ignorance, I try to get back to my body.. If killed by another player, odds are my body wont have loot anymore anyway so I don't bother.

They should just make it impossible to loot your own body. Completely defeats the point of perma-death, you might as well just restart with all your gear...

• Like 3

They should just make it impossible to loot your own body. Completely defeats the point of perma-death, you might as well just restart with all your gear...

This would be a good solution.

I think the ability to loot your own body at the moment is purely down to the limitations of the engine since it's built on Arma II and they didn't want to mess with it too much.

Being able to run back to your body to me is very.. arcadey which DayZ is not meant to be

Corpse should be re-spawned to a different location after a short while.

If killed by another player this will give your aggressor(s) time to profit from his/their work.

If killed by rock, paper or Zed you can not go back to your "last known position",  at the same time leaving the chance for your body to be discovered by another survivor and with luck, by your new character.

• Like 1

One of the biggest problems getting in the way of dayz being a good survival sim is that many just don't value their characters life. part of the issue is that its just far too easy to run back to your body and get all your gear back.

Preventing players from looting their own body would help, (though it wouldn't stop teammates getting your gear for you), but to me it just doesn't feel right.

My favourite solution that i've seen discussed is when a player dies zombies and even wild animals could be attracted to the body and basically start tearing it apart and over the course of lets say 10 minutes all the gear would gradually be destroyed.

This allows the killer the opportunity to loot the body while at the same time discouraging long distance kills, the longer it takes to get to the body the less loot there will be.

And unless the killed player gets extremely lucky and spawns right next to where they died, there would be no point in trying to run back to your body. (a system could be added that always spawns you at least 10 minutes run away from where you died)

You still have the issue of teammates getting your gear for you but they will have to contend with the zeds trying to destroy the body.

• Like 3

One of the biggest problems getting in the way of dayz being a good survival sim is that many just don't value their characters life. part of the issue is that its just far too easy to run back to your body and get all your gear back.

Preventing players from looting their own body would help, (though it wouldn't stop teammates getting your gear for you), but to me it just doesn't feel right.

My favourite solution that i've seen discussed is when a player dies zombies and even wild animals could be attracted to the body and basically start tearing it apart and over the course of lets say 10 minutes all the gear would gradually be destroyed.

This allows the killer the opportunity to loot the body while at the same time discouraging long distance kills, the longer it takes to get to the body the less loot there will be.

And unless the killed player gets extremely lucky and spawns right next to where they died, there would be no point in trying to run back to your body. (a system could be added that always spawns you at least 10 minutes run away from where you died)

You still have the issue of teammates getting your gear for you but they will have to contend with the zeds trying to destroy the body.

In a real life survival situation you probably would salvage items from fallen friends. I don't really have a problem with that, they more than likely wouldn't be able to pick up everything you had anyway.

For me not being able to loot your own body would more or less fix the issue completely. :)

Definately wouldnt go that far. No matter where you die you more than likely have a 20+ minute treck back to your body so there is work that has to be put into it.

I can agree that looting your own body was more legit before choosing spawns and spawning with gear. If your on a server and die then respwn in a random location your at least gonna have to put your arse on the line for a gun and likely some pop and beans to get back to your body. Definatley more difficult with no spawn gear at all and not choosing spawns.

Definately wouldnt go that far. No matter where you die you more than likely have a 20+ minute treck back to your body so there is work that has to be put into it.

I can agree that looting your own body was more legit before choosing spawns and spawning with gear. If your on a server and die then respwn in a random location your at least gonna have to put your arse on the line for a gun and likely some pop and beans to get back to your body. Definatley more difficult with no spawn gear at all and not choosing spawns.

It isn't about whether there's 'work' (and I'm not sure that I consider holding W for 20 minutes to be work) involved, it's about the fact that looting your body defies perma-death; which is supposed to be one of the key features of DayZ.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 2

So what about the gear you have stashed away in a couple of tents? Isnt looting your recently killed body just as bad as looting your own stash of tents?

• Like 2

So what about the gear you have stashed away in a couple of tents? Isnt looting your recently killed body just as bad as looting your own stash of tents?

Personally I'd like for tents to despawn on their owners death, or also become inaccessible to that player, but I think this may be a bit too extreme for some players.

• Like 1

Yup, also an issue that needs to be addressed in my opinion.

• Like 1

Personally I'd like for tents to despawn on their owners death, or also become inaccessible to that player, but I think this may be a bit too extreme for some players.

100% vanilla and then some then lol.

I cant say I totally disagree but as far as the direction Day Z seems to be going with bases, safes and etc it doesnt seem like that will happen.

Anyway I do kind of see storing things in tents and etc a tad different. Someone being desperate enough to go back fo rthere own body isnt the same as aplayer who has stayed alive long enough to stash loot all ovr the place. And this gives people something to work for.

And once again I do kind of agree with your opinion especially if we are going to have massive loot and self blood bags.

100% vanilla and then some then lol.

I cant say I totally disagree but as far as the direction Day Z seems to be going with bases, safes and etc it doesnt seem like that will happen.

Anyway I do kind of see storing things in tents and etc a tad different. Someone being desperate enough to go back fo rthere own body isnt the same as aplayer who has stayed alive long enough to stash loot all ovr the place. And this gives people something to work for.

And once again I do kind of agree with your opinion especially if we are going to have massive loot and self blood bags.

Well self blood-bags and some of the other things that you mentioned aren't actually part of the official DayZ mod but I can see your point.

Yeah seeing as perma-death is one of the main features it's a bit ridiculous. I have looted my own body in the past, but it feels hollow and it makes you value your characters life less. I'd like to see something like an item tagger that associates items with the person who dies and so they can't use any of those items again, even if their friends pick them up for use later. Other than that I really liked the idea of zeds and wild animals ravaging the dead bodies.

Yeah seeing as perma-death is one of the main features it's a bit ridiculous. I have looted my own body in the past, but it feels hollow and it makes you value your characters life less. I'd like to see something like an item tagger that associates items with the person who dies and so they can't use any of those items again, even if their friends pick them up for use later. Other than that I really liked the idea of zeds and wild animals ravaging the dead bodies.

Every time Ive looted my body i thought "Hell yeah im glad I made it back to that sht" lol