Ozelot (DayZ)

Give me one logical reason why gear destruction will delay KOS

You can't. Because it won't.

I don't shoot people to get their gear in the game now. I shoot them so I won't lose mine. And I'm really not going to be too concerned about shooting some guy with just a flashlight, just incase I might break it, even if I did care.

I will continue to lone-dog it and kill everyone I meet, armed or not.

• Like 6

Hello there

People tend to kill other people to obtain their gear.

If their gear is damaged or destroyed they won't instantly kill them.

We know you are bad and will continue to be in the standalone.

Rgds

Rossums

• Like 11

Whatever you say, Mr. Hipster Cat... shooting in sole self defense before it was cool...

Not a lot of KoS is aggressive self-defense. In fact, nearly none of it is, in the exception of seeing somewhere near your camp/running for your car.

• Like 1

I don't shoot people to get their gear in the game now. I shoot them so I won't lose mine. And I'm really not going to be too concerned about shooting some guy with just a flashlight, just incase I might break it, even if I did care.

No one ever said it would stop douchebags from being douchebags. It will give those who might consider another player a "gear upgrade" pause though. 

• Like 2

Your experiences and playstyles are not universal. Whilst YOU might not be affected by it, others might.

• Like 8

Hello there

when people kill others, it's usually to obtain his/her gear

the reason behind destroying gear, it will discourage players from shooting each other, and make them attempt to either rob each other, or work together.

Rgds

Statik

• Like 1

SUP 

I DOUBT IT WILL HELP, PEOPLE ARE STILL GOING TO SHOOT ON SIGHT OFTEN. IT'S HUMAN NATURE

PEACE OUT YO

DEATH DEALER 

• Like 1

OP if I was homo guy I falling in love with you ;)

but I am 100% love womans so if I see you in game I try kill you same like you try kill me >:(

may best straight mans win  :thumbsup: :ph34r:

OH SHIT GUYS!!!!

Ozelot thinks a game feature is not a good idea!!!!

Better change that shit rocket!

Rgds

Pie

Edited by meat pie
  • Like 1

I don't think the main reason for someone shooting someone else is to take their gear; that is merely a side-effect, a secondary outcome of two people running into each other.  The main reason(s) is either 1) fear of being shot by the other player first or 2) for the hell of it, because the game has devolved into some pvp deathmatch festival rather than a zombie survival game.

I think that in addition to item degradation (which probably won't be much of a deterrent) there needs to be a positive incentive (other than you both being able to survive the encounter) for 2 people to not immediately start shooting at one another.  Perhaps gear being so hard to get and life being more valuable could act as that positive incentive, or perhaps something greater should be considered.  Its a tough design decision for sure.

Either way, clearly Rocket et al are not happy with the predominance of KoS in the mod, and are taking steps to make it less of attractive option.  This should be an indication that its not how the game is "supposed" to be played by the majority of people.

Edited by klesh
  • Like 6

OH SHIT GUYS!!!!

Ozelot does not like a game feature!!!!

Better change that shit rocket!

I never said I didn't like it, fool.

I just find it hilarious that stupid people think it will actually prevent everyone from killing everyone like they already do. I don't care about your gear, and even I did, I wouldn't take the risk of trying to take it from you while you're still alive. It makes 0% difference.

This game will continue to be nothing more than a permadeath counterstrike with weapon scavenging elements.

Edited by Ozelot

Just typed something so i can say: Rgds like everyone else. Now for the real message, I often manage to survive from scenarios where i'm the victim of currently happening KoS try, They often fail. I would like to see you try me. I was sitting on a campfire with 2 newbs , we were fired with DMR, not a single bullet hit us, i just told them to move to cover, went out with my buddyh and shot the guy in the back with mp5.

Rgds

Aporis

I just find it hilarious that stupid people think it will actually prevent everyone from killing everyone like they already do. I don't care about your gear, and even I did, I wouldn't take the risk of trying to take it from you while you're still alive. It makes 0% difference.

This game will continue to be nothing more than a permadeath counterstrike with weapon scavenging elements.

ya this game is counterstrike..........right 

for a fool I think that seems like a real strange thing to say.

Rgds

"Fool"

Edited by meat pie

The hilarious exaggeration that it'll stop everyone KoSing is very similar to the hilarious exaggeration you are making by saying that people actually believe something like this would completely eliminate a legitimate element of play. Yeah, okay, we get it, you aren't interested in people's gear and you kill people for the sake of killing people (despite the fact you think that this devalues the game to simple deathmatching, at which I can't help but be puzzled), so this update won't bother you. But to say that because of that, the update makes no difference is basically saying that if it doesn't directly affect you then it won't affect other players, which is also hilarious. Unless you know that it's going to affect other players in a variety of ways, in which case you already had your answer before you created the thread.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 9

I think OP makes a great point and one that is often overlooked. People kill out of fear of losing their stuff.

I don't think damaged gear will slow down KoS at all. I do think it will add to the realism. 

• Like 2

KoS is legit and should be included, but it should have some kind of ramifications such that it doesn't become the dominant playstyle. 

• Like 3

Hello there

Arguing with the pseduo-intellectuals is always a fun endeavor.

Nobody said it would STOP KoS, people said it would LOWER KoS, fool.

Just because you're a fucking baddie and kill people because you suck doesn't mean that everyone else is equally as bad.

If it's a deathmatch to you, fair enough, nobody really cares.

It is VERY simple, you have a vest I want:

a) I shoot you on sight and I have a very high chance of damaging the vest

b) I at least try to approach you which will drastically lower the chances of me damaging the vest

Nobody cares how you like to play, we already understand you're afraid to lose your items - all I'm getting is that you should be playing Call of Duty but instead are complaining that DayZ won't fit your terrible playstyle.

Rgds

Rossums

• Like 4

Perhaps gear being so hard to get and life being more valuable could act as that positive incentive, or perhaps something greater should be considered.  Its a tough design decision for sure.

Either way, clearly Rocket et al are not happy with the predominance of KoS in the mod, and are taking steps to make it less of attractive option.  This should be an indication that its not how the game is "supposed" to be played by the majority of people.

Basically this.

If ammunition is super scarce you will think twice about firing.

Melee murders will probably be how people pvp and "KoS".

Now being a murderous asshole will take more skill and cunning.

You will not have access to hacker boxes full of DMR mags.

You will be wondering why you have to pack every magazine with separate bullets you've found and wondering what you might do for "fun" now that you can't just fire rounds all day.

• Like 4

Whatever you say, Mr. Hipster Cat... shooting in sole self defense before it was cool...

Not a lot of KoS is aggressive self-defense. In fact, nearly none of it is, in the exception of seeing somewhere near your camp/running for your car.

But why is that? Maybe because gear has no value in the mod? But it certainly has in the SA right? Well, I don't think we can say what will happen in the alpha, but we will see soon enough.

Because not everyone is like u...there is ur logical reason.

• Like 2

Good luck shooting everything that moves. Rocket had said MANY times that ammunition will be ridiculously rare. Have you heard of the road? It's going to be like that. If you shoot everything that moves, you're going to run out of bullets in a heartbeat.

Edited by colekern
  • Like 1

But why is that? Maybe because gear has no value in the mod? But it certainly has in the SA right? Well, I don't think we can say what will happen in the alpha, but we will see soon enough.

If gear has no value in the mod, then why do people shoot each other to defend their camps and cars, as I said?

• Like 2

Forgive me if this has already being asked but if you're stalking a player and he stops then you headshot him then that players gear should still be intact? I would think then only the headgear/hat/whatever gets damaged.

If the above is true and if said KOS player is a reasonable shot then it's going to make no difference to the mod

Edited by tehfapper

No one is going to care if ammo is scarce. If your gear can't be gotten back, you aren't going to want to take the risk of dying even more than before. See somebody with a gun? any gun? BAM.

And if all it takes is an accurate shot to kill someone and steal their gear, it won't stop good gear-hunters from getting what they want.

• Like 1

And this people is why we have servers where you start with a dmr some people just want to kill people for no reson.
Aka the worst way to play dayz imo

Rgds

pie

• Like 2