northriver

Deciding (Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

So a couple dayz ago (heehee) I decided I might want to try out a new game. I did some searching and I found Dayz, couple youtube videos later I thought it was pretty cool but I had some questions.

I know the Dayz Stand alone is going to be released soon so I was waiting for that, but I'm not very patient (:P) so I was about to buy Arma II then get the Dayz mod and I noticed that there was an Arma III out. I didn't find many answers if there was a Dayz mod for Arma III but that is my main question. If there is a Dayz mod for Arma III I'll probably buy Arma III (hey I like to be with the flow of new things :P) then get the mod. BUT if there isn't a Dayz mod for Arma III I was wondering do you think I should wait for the Stand alone release or buy Arma II and join the action and start popping zombies? 

Flip a three sided coin.

Or just wreck a Nickleback album.

Either way..get the original mod.

• Like 3

yes get the ARMA III version of dayz..

but keep in mind its not as easy to install as the ARMA II version.

far as i know the arma III version still has to be manualy installed, were as the arma II versions can be auto installed with proggys like dayz CMDER, and play/6...

Flip a three sided coin.

Or just wreck a Nickleback album.

Either way..get the original mod.

The middle one, just to be safe.

• Like 1

Arma III version isn't even dayZ is it? Isn't it like Zoombies or something?

• Like 1

Ok hold up. I just read something saying that there is a zombie Mod for Arma III but it's not really considered dayz.... Is this true?

Get ArmA II. There's so many more maps and mods of DayZ on there, plus you don't have to play JUST DayZ, you can try out other awesome mods for the game like Invasion 1944 and Wasteland

• Like 1

I can't get Arma 3 zoombies to work for me it always crashes my game before it finishes loading I say stick with Arma 2 and the original mod plus I think Arma 2 is more fun currently or at least until more content comes and fps issues are solved

Get arma 2 Combined operations, arma 2 is a spectacular game in itself and the arma 3 dayz mod (zoombies) is UNOFFICIAL and buggy and won't have many of the normal dayz features. Also arma 2 has other great dayz mods such as namalsk, taviana, overwatch, epoch and there's much more to do and easier to install with programs like dayz commander or playwithsix. In summary, get arma 2 CO.

• Like 1

You need arma 2 and arma 2 operation arowhead, when bought together they are combined operations. 

So to confirm this is what I need? 

https://store.bistudio.com/arma2-combined-operations/

Also should I get it from steam or the link above? I don't give what it means by you have a NON-steams version.... Is there something special if you download with steam?

Correct, Combined Operations is what you need, steam version can be found here http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4638/ nothing particularly special about DL'ing it from steam other than you can catch sales and verify your game cache easy if you come across small errors, mostly a matter of preference.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

Just to add a couple of things. Whether you end up buying the steam or the retail (non-steam) version is a matter of personal choice. Buying it from steam gives you all the steam pros and cons. Buying the retail (non-steam) version is just like buying any non steam game, you don't have to launch it via steam, you don't have to have steam running, you get an offline installer you can burn on some disks, you can install it on any path you want etc. Also the non steam version can be found in sales. Personally I got the non steam version of Arma II: CO from gog.com for $11.50.

In a few words, if you don't already use steam for most of your games, or have no intention of making a steam game library etc get the non steam version.

yes get the ARMA III version of dayz..

but keep in mind its not as easy to install as the ARMA II version.

far as i know the arma III version still has to be manualy installed, were as the arma II versions can be auto installed with proggys like dayz CMDER, and play/6...

No, don't do that. Do this...

get the original mod.

Just to add a couple of things. Whether you end up buying the steam or the retail (non-steam) version is a matter of personal choice. Buying it from steam gives you all the steam pros and cons. Buying the retail (non-steam) version is just like buying any non steam game, you don't have to launch it via steam, you don't have to have steam running, you get an offline installer you can burn on some disks, you can install it on any path you want etc. Also the non steam version can be found in sales. Personally I got the non steam version of Arma II: CO from gog.com for $11.50.

In a few words, if you don't already use steam for most of your games, or have no intention of making a steam game library etc get the non steam version.

Actually, you don't have to launch it vie Steam at all. If you install DayZ Commander, which by the way I highly recommend as the best DayZ launcher out there, you can easily play without Steam running. That said, if you DO launch vie Steam, you can use the Shit+Tab feature when running allowing you to auto-run, whilst still enabling you to look around you using the mouse, very useful for when you have a long journey ahead of you.

(Pushing any direction on the WASD keys stops auto-run, giving you back full control of your movement.)

There is no ArmAIII DayZ mod and no support will be given.

Both are seperate BIS titles and DayZ has a 2012TM.

You can start the Steam version directly from the ArmAII/CO folder without any programs running in the background.

DayZ Commander is fine for DayZ but goes no further.

For a broader choice of launch options use PlaywithSIX or SpiritedMachines ArmAII Launcher (recommended by myself).

Everything you need to know about installing can be found in the Stickies...

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1808-guide-installation-guide-steam-retail-mixed-beta-common-errors/#entry18541

• Like 1

Get the Steam version if you can, retail version often requires you to manually update ArmA 2 to 1.11 and OA to 1.62 and depending on what version you are on that can require multiple updates. http://www.arma2.com/supply/game-updates

Steam version is already up to date so the install is much easier.

Install ArmA 2, run ArmA 2

Install OA, run OA

Download DayZCommander and install DayZ and the latest ArmA beta patch from the install menu.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 1

I seriously find SixLauncher utter pants! But hey, try both OP and do what suits you best.

dude go buy arma 2 and you will thank us...

its what $20 nowadays?

mod is free...

fun factor is worth $$$$

then you will understand dayz, before jumping in to SA ... which isnt being released anytime soon.

or think about arma 3, get breaking point mod (best dayz for arma 3 by far...prob better than standalone too)

or wasteland, or altas life, etc

Get Arma 2 and 3! lol

Arma 2 is great, Arma 3 is the same but better and improved upon.

Thing is with Arma is that you're not buying into a game, you're buying into a community. Just look on youtube for wasteland, Arma Life (I think it's called), Domination, ACE and probably a lot more. Then there's all the vehicles and player models you can download, new weapon packs, islands...all for free (www.armaholic.com)

DayZ is a mod for arma just like the other ones I listed which, if you're good at using the mission editor and can code, there's nothing to stop you making your own mod either.

When you play DayZ, everything you see other than most of the guns and the map itself is the mod pretty much (hud, loot items, zombies, infection, eating, gutting animals, etc).

BIZ should be congratulated in being one of the few companies out there that still allow such a thriving community, the likes Activation, EA, UBISOFT said a big "FUCK YOU" too years ago.