Target Practice (DayZ)

Tried to jump back into DayZ...

I thought for a second we were having an intelligent conversation about this subject, then dgeesio joined and all intelligence left the thread. 

• Like 2

Why?

You asked for a solution to dealing with KOS. I think, if one wants to avoid the KOS mentality, the only real answer is to leave the game behind. Hell the KOS mentality is embedded within this community. Just look at the way it responds to negative criticism. BURN THE WITCH!!!! 

I thought for a second we were having an intelligent conversation about this subject, then dgeesio joined and all intelligence left the thread. 

please suggest the fix or be dammed unintelligent :lol:

easy solution for me: if zombie threat >> player threat, problem solved. imo you dont need to eliminate KoS, just make it harder (risk vs. reward...)

why should bandits be punished? yet heros not ?

No one's saying bandits should be punished or heroes should be rewarded <_<

It's just that something is clearly wrong if the main point of the game is shooting others. It's a survival simulator, in real life people don't go randomly shoot each other after a disaster. Some element is clearly missing from the simulation. There's nothing to really do except shoot people or team up and shoot people or help people shoot people who are trying to shoot people.

• Like 1

You try to make it out as we are wishing the game to be dumbed down and easier for us when in fact we are looking for solutions to make the game harder and more enjoyable by the real hardcore players, by making suggestions that expand the game mechanics and increase the immersion for players it becomes harder for murderers, because you know what, being a murderer is the EASY way of playing the game, a monkey with a gun can kill others in this game while actually surviving in groups is a hell lot harder. You have alot to learn about your mentality and alot can be learned from playing the game in a group, both about yourself and things in real life.

It´s stupid to say this but: There are alot more games that build on KoS mechanics, not many focus on the real meaning for desperation and team play so to say to someone "play another game" is wrong, it´s the KoS people who should play an other game because thay are just in it for brainless, stupid action.

• Like 2

No one's saying bandits should be punished or heroes should be rewarded <_<

It's just that something is clearly wrong if the main point of the game is shooting others. It's a survival simulator, in real life people don't go randomly shoot each other after a disaster. Some element is clearly missing from the simulation. There's nothing to really do except shoot people or team up and shoot people or help people shoot people who are trying to shoot people.

shooting after disasters and such do happen the reason they are stopped or quelled is ? law enforcment , army. without the government and protection agencies to stop unlawfulness like in te game how we play it would be rife. people are using real life instances in a unreal life situation. you dont haave to shoot people now if you dont want. thats the players choice.

Well, think of a solution then.

Next hit a killer takes automatically infects hims - yes I know the implications but everyone's had enough time now that measures must be taken to enforce it. This is a fairly benign method - murder someone and you risk the possibility of hunting for hours and hours for AB's

You try to make it out as we are wishing the game to be dumbed down and easier for us when in fact we are looking for solutions to make the game harder and more enjoyable by the real hardcore players, by making suggestions that expand the game mechanics and increase the immersion for players it becomes harder for murderers, because you know what, being a murderer is the EASY way of playing the game, a monkey with a gun can kill others in this game while actually surviving in groups is a hell lot harder. You have alot to learn about your mentality and alot can be learned from playing the game in a group, both about yourself and things in real life.

It´s stupid to say this but: There are alot more games that build on KoS mechanics, not many focus on the real meaning for desperation and team play so to say to someone "play another game" is wrong, it´s the KoS people who should play an other game because thay are just in it for brainless, stupid action.

some people enjoy the game like this. its no easier being a bandit as it is being a person who avoids conflicts. its easy to survive dodging dangerous events. thats not more skillful how can avoiding danger staying out way of it be more skillful than surviving in the harshest most dangerous enviroment? its harder to be a bandit if anything.

group work does want working on ill agree that and one of the suggestions i made which doesnt cap/nerf bandits but would make people to work together is reward groups financially with gold maybe or some other bounty for working together to take down bandits based on there notority. so higher the kills of the bandit the higher the bounty and reward.

shooting after disasters and such do happen the reason they are stopped or quelled is ? law enforcment , army. without the government and protection agencies to stop unlawfulness like in te game how we play it would be rife. people are using real life instances in a unreal life situation. you dont haave to shoot people now if you dont want. thats the players choice.

Yeah... you're saying in "without rule of law" situation you'd shoot down anyone you saw without a second thought? I'm glad I'm not your neighbour... :huh:

Personally I will shoot at many people when the standalone comes, it's fun. However there is clearly an issue with the mod at the moment because there's nothing else to do.

• Like 2

If bandits are to be punished for being bandits then any non bandits/heros should also be punished by doing zero damage to other players with their guns/weapons. Yes that's what i thought ....totally stupid to punish players for picking a certain role in the game. Sick of seeing these threads asking for punishments to bandits or complaining about the state of gameplay because of kos.

Edited by Massicor

Sick of seeing these threads asking for punishments to bandits.

Where?

• Like 1

Yeah... you're saying in "without rule of law" situation you'd shoot down anyone you saw without a second thought? I'm glad I'm not your neighbour... :huh:

Personally I will shoot at many people when the standalone comes, it's fun. However there is clearly an issue with the mod at the moment because there's nothing else to do.

i agree that other objectives need adding that why i suggested a mission type like bringing in bandits together as a group for a reward.

thats only one scenario i cant believe with such a mission based objective based background ideas like that are hard to come by. 

in a dangerous situation with no law consequences from shooting the individual what does it matter? apart from mentally ? thousand zombies ready to kill me outside and you worried about am i morally worried in a video game ? no its a game. i know the difference .

Edited by dgeesio

So, 1.8 is out, and looks like it's made DayZ potentially interesting again, so I figured I'd update and give it a whirl. In all honesty, I never really had a problem with DayZ that made me stop playing it, I just felt like I'd done more or less everything there was to do at a point, and that I'd sit out for a few months to let the burnout pass. The one thing I did have an issue with was the frequency of KOS, and not just 'two guys meeting in a supermarket, one shoots first to make sure the other doesn't' KOS, I mean the 'minding your own business as a fresh spawn, BOOM you're dead' KOS.

Anyway, I found a quiet server (7/60 or something) and got to playing. Initial impressions were good - loot availability seemed about right, within half an hour I'd managed to scavenge up a couple of cans of drink, a hatchet and a small backpack - enough to keep me alive. Zombies seemed tough but fair (ish - obviously the walking through walls and ultra-speed notwithstanding. :P), and I could actually feel myself starting to enjoy DayZ aga.... BOOM.

Shot. Didn't kill me, but broke my legs. I frantically looked round, trying to work out where I needed to crawl from, and there, clear as day about 50m behind me was some dude standing right out in the open, big conga-line of zombies behind him, is some dude with an assault rifle.

This, for me, is DayZ's biggest problem right now. Unprovoked, unnecessary KOS in situations where firing a gun should be a near death-sentence, used only as a last resort when you're already swarmed by zombies, and you need to clear space to get away. The problem is, I don't know how it's going to be fixed - the other problem is, it's only going to get worse - eventually, non-KOS players are going to get fed up swimming against the tide and either start shooting first or just quit altogether, and you're going to find even fewer players out there who won't think twice about putting a bullet in your brain to say hello.

I'm aware this may sound slightly like a whining/crying post - it really isn't. I actually don't have a problem with KOS in moderation - in a server with 50 people on, having one or two maniacs who keep things interesting will increase tension and therefore enjoyment. The problem for me is that it's the wrong way round - there's 48 lunatics running round without a single fuck given, and 2 poor guys expecting every step to be their last.

Do you expect this to change in the mod? It will never, because the mod is simply boring. It is no survival game, so there is no point in not shooting on sight. We just have to wait for the standalone, which will have the core element of the concept.

if you die, you respawn, run back to your body (or the nearest military base) and just find another assault rifle and get right back to it.

Make the bodies only last 15 minutes before they disappear. Respawns shouldn't be able to run back to their body and continue as if nothing happened. Leave the body there long enough to be looted but not long enough for the player to return.

• Like 1

Make the bodies only last 15 minutes before they disappear. Respawns shouldn't be able to run back to their body and continue as if nothing happened. Leave the body there long enough to be looted but not long enough for the player to return.

They will find another weapon anyway, it not like it is a big deal.

Depends if he has good gear of course. But with the duping rampage in this version he will most likely just return to his camp to gear up and no big lossie. In this new version duping is still possible through other methods so i see no point really.

Edited by monoking

congrats on making the worst suggestion in dayz ! :(

why sohuld people become higher risk of inection because theyre surviving the way they choose? they shouldnt be punished for it its a choice a way of playing. you give people choices you let them play you dont restrict and you dont restrict for minorites either.

only thing i can think of is if people join together to punish bandits as a group like in a town but as said you dont have any rules because there is no goverment its a survival of the fittest world.

maybe the group could hunt down bandits responsable for kos. thing is imagine big servers its going to be like a bullitain bord kos in electro , kos churno kos behrinzo blah blah evey two minutes.

Because after a year people can't get along so what do you do then - you introduce a mechanic that makes them think twice. Nobody is forcing them to kill another player but now there's a consequence. I've already suggested they just get infected right away because I've got no time for dickheads that kill freshspawns.

• Like 1

They will find another weapon anyway, it not like it is a big deal.

Is to people that like to grab gear.

why should bandits be punished? yet heros not ?

What would you punish Hero's for?

I agree with OP that is a problem, it's the main problem. I started to play recently DayZ, but it seems someone is thinking DayZ is even just a KOS game. Since I see too much survivors who play as bandit without wearing the bandit skin, I think the game can be better balanced on how and when bandits are marked with the skin. At least they will have more problems on their way than normal survivors.

Probably more conditions where players/bandits can decrease or not increase their humanity may be added.

Edited by BrutoDetestsSB

I agree with OP that is a problem, it's the main problem. I started to play recently DayZ, but it seems someone is thinking DayZ is even just a KOS game. Since I see too much survivors who play as bandit without wearing the bandit skin, I think the game can be better balanced on how and when bandits are marked with the skin. At least they will have more problems on their way than normal survivors.

Probably more conditions where players/bandits can decrease or not increase their humanity may be added.

It was one of the stupidest things added to the game ....players being automatically given certain type of cloths that he had to wear because of his humanity ....you think bandits would want to mark themselves as bandits by wearing certain cloths ? no they would want to blend in....how is that realistic/authentic?

Edited by Massicor
  • Like 1

Because after a year people can't get along so what do you do then - you introduce a mechanic that makes them think twice. Nobody is forcing them to kill another player but now there's a consequence. I've already suggested they just get infected right away because I've got no time for dickheads that kill freshspawns.

making a mechanic on how to stop or think twice about " KILL ON SIGHT " :lol: genius !

why should there be consequences ? why should i have a more chance to be infected ? total bs idea. yet again no balance just a way of gimping bandits.

consequences are in real world governed or sysmtes in place.

this game is in a sort of apocalyptic zombie feast fighting for survival with no powers that be so where are these consequences , who will enforce them ? as ususal the players who are trying to gimp bandits are the very people who arnt bandits ! such biasedness is a joke. just put you dont like bandits simple.

The problem is there are too many players who are not fighting for survival, they just want to get the next kill even if it means they themselves will die, Thats what people are trying to discuss here.

Your constant heroes vs bandits paranoia is doing nothing but derail the thread.

Edited by Fluxley
  • Like 3