r4z0r49

DayZ 1.8 Feedback

Played it some yesterday and while it has a lot of great things, it of course has some issues. Though some of them could be my mind screwing with me.

Zombies - The lack of a hit animation sometimes it's both disorienting and annoying. I may rush by a zombie to get out of a tight squeeze, only to notice I'm bleeding about 100 meters later. I'm just magically hit sometimes, particularly when I'm taking them out with a hatchet, and it's quite annoying to know they hit me sometimes, no animation, while I'm going through the hatchet animation.

Their respawn rate also seems ridiculous, or I'm missing something. I was at a heli crash, working with the annoying, seemingly random at times, aggro, and decided I'd kill them all, and so I began taking them out. It seemed like they truly never stopped coming after I had killed at least 15 nonstop.

The same happened when I was in a barn taking them out with a hatchet, they just kept coming...

Also, at times, they just decided to disappear. I was in a dire situation at one point, about to be finished off by a zombie...and then boom they're all gone. My friend takes them with him when he logs off too, it's odd.

Loot - Didn't check all loot places, but I like the change in loot. Maybe too much food and other consumables lying about, but that's better than not enough, especially when alone.

Also, there's an easy way to dupe any item as well that I'm sure you're aware of by now. My friend and I managed to dupe quite a few things on accident even.

"Also, there's an easy way to dupe any item as well that I'm sure you're aware of by now. My friend and I managed to dupe quite a few things on accident even."

Ahh that explains how I was able to get 16 wind screens off my bus even though I repaired it with only 6 glasses. Otherwise a satisfied customer.

•  
Edited by MentalMidget

Hate the new icons, they look like they were made for a children's game. There are adults playing this game, previous icons were better.  My FPS have dropped, a lot. Went from averaging 45 to averaging 30. Before they never dropped below 30, now they often drop to the low 20's. I have a fairly good video card, 680mx, drivers updated. I'm running Windows 7. CPU - i7. Too much food and drink spawning. The new inventory is fine, but the zipper sound, why? 

Bit sad that my private hive server is totally incompatable with it, but I guess the patch is balanced, when held relative to other patches.

Really enjoying the patch.  I haven't ventured out much to find some of the new things included, so I can't comment on them for now.  I like the UI changes, and I get the artwork behind the icons.  It reminds me a bit of the indie game Crayon Physics, but I understand its supposed to be a representation of the survivor drawing the icons, as opposed to the tron-like computer type icons we had before, and I'm cool with it.

Question:  Do you guys do map updates at all?  There is one that bugs me all the time, and I would love it if you could take care of it.  In the Vybor supermarket, there is a vehicle wreck on the street that clips a few feet into the building, by the back shelves in the larger main room. The wreck is on the road between the supermarket and the school/office building.  I would imagine it would only take a few seconds to slide it a few feet more into the street. 

lsitkhl.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Edited by klesh

In the Vybor supermarket, there is a vehicle wreck on the street that clips a few feet into the building, by the back shelves in the larger main room.

I also had multiple cases when Zeds walked right through that very corner into the supermarket, maybe it has something to do with that Humvee debris.

The overabundance of food everywhere totally breaks the balance in my opinion. Armed with a melee weapon, you can relatively safely run through all the main loot zones in Cherno capital in some 10-15 minutes (barring PVP encounters). Sure, you get yourself a noticeable blood loss, but you heal by consuming all that hundreds of cans. Sometimes a message You eat <something> and start to feel full appears, but it seems to be of cosmetic use only. Throttling on eating would be very nice - those rabbits would become so endangered because of their meat value. But I think you have your own reasons to keep gluttonous healing that way (less hardcore > more players etc)

The style of the interface is not for my taste, but that's what it is, just a matter of taste. The change in the main inventory grid from 3-columns x 4 rows to 2x5 felt non-intuitive for me, but you just have to get used to it.

• Like 1

Today I tryed to craft Bandage which needs: Ragx3,Gauzex2, Stringx1. And its makes one bandage, seems pretty much needed to make one bandage ands its not that easy to find these items in my opinion :)

Weird... It's supposed to make 2. I think it should be 4, myself.

As for food, if you don't wait for the arrows on the blood icon to go away, you end up getting less from blood or no blood from food - there are diminishing returns.

And, I wonder if some of this isn't just a bit exaggerated.

Edited by entspeak

I also had multiple cases when Zeds walked right through that very corner into the supermarket, maybe it has something to do with that Humvee debris.

I spend alot of time in that supermarket and I concur that zeds walk through that area as well.

They also walk through the racks. It's that back right corner as you face the front door. Thy do that in pretty much every supermarket and have for quite some time.

This new version is really amazing, HUD & inventory system included.

I want to report an issue happened to me after the character passed out: white permanent screen limbo, ESC key not working, ArmAII terminated by windows (Vista64).

I tried to join another server but I suffered a very long wait time so I decided to stop playing last night.

Z's are better than before, the only thing I don't like is the total lack of any attack animation that makes them too unearthly when they hits you.

Anyway you have done an awesome job.

Thanks for all guys!

Excellent patch. Love the little UI changes, journal is sick, and Zed's are much better. While maybe smoother, they are no easier to kill, especially if you play without cross hairs. I have noticed they tend to run past you, then turn and hit you. Also, they are finally spawning with vehicles, as soon as you stop they will start spawning (outside of a certain radius, maybe 50m-100m), and it's the same with loot, which is awesome! I'll post this in the bug section, but between 3 players we've had at least 5 instances of painkillers not working and having to take double the dosage, or logging out and logging back in, then taking another dosage in order to stop shaking.

Overall I'm very pleased with the new patch, perhaps turning down the food spawn would make things a little more difficult (read: more challenging) but you are definitely flirting with the line of good/perfect in this patch.

I posted that on the main 1.8 topic, but it's probaly more something that should be posted here :

Hi all,

Big up to all the dev team, the release note is really nice. Crafting espicially sounds very promising !

I applied this patch on my private hive to test the stuff, but unfortunatly I was quickly stunned when starting to play: the amount of loots is just INSANE, especially on military lootsite ! I first thought that I messed up the loot system when applying the patch, but reading some posts here it's looks like I'm not the only one to have this feelings.

So I'll not post about my feelings, and just tried to be very factual. This is an example of what I saw 1H ago when looting Elektro with a friend:

1st firestation loot: every single loot location had some items in it

- 2 M4A1 (with 2 mags each)

- 1 G1 (with 2 mags)

- 1 Remington (with 2X8 Slugs)

- 1 PDW (with 2 mags)

- 1 AKM (with 2 mags)

+ several trashpile or food/drink cans or makarov/.45 mags on others loot locations

=> we took the 2 M4A1, 1 G17 and 1 PDW and went back to our car 200m from the firestation to drop stuff and go back loot again.

we came back right after (less than 3min later) and we found on the 4 loot location we emptied

- another M4A1 (with 2 mags)

- a makarov

- a AK-74

- 2 food cans and a smoke grenade

2d firestation loot: every single lootpile had some items in it

- 1 M1911 (with one mag)

- 1 M16 (with 2 mags)

- 2 G17

- 1 sand bag

+ several trashpile or food/drink cans or makarov/.45 mags on others loot locations

I can hardly believe that such crazy loot is normal...

Could somebody from the dev team confirm if an exemple like that is possible ?

Or if it's a bug in the loot  system of the 1.8 patch ?

Or my my server is just completly messed up ?

Edited by matiman

It's a bug in the 1.8 loot system that will hopefully be fixed very soon right now pretty much every loot point is spawning loot, coupled with all the new loot points they have added its pretty hard to judge anything until they release an update. 

Edited by seaweed

Thats correct we will have an update out soon to correct a few issues. Loot and zed delays systems being among them

Thanks for the feedback, I'm reassured ! :)

Looking forward to this fix to enjoy this nice 1.8 patch

finally got a chance to test the patch:

as almost everyone else said before, this patch is amazing. I like the increased numbers of zombies everywhere. It was a real challange to sneak into some small sheds outside of elektro. Even though i tried hard i occassionally drew their attention, which is fine because it still felt like i was avoiding even more hassle, maybe even death, that i would have caused by simply running through their lines. For me that is what the infected in dayz should feel like: even if you´re very careful you should still have to deal with the occassional zombie, if you´re running around like a lunatic not even thinking about avoiding them, you should die. Instantly (zombies, heartattack, sharks,...). We still haven´t achieved the last part, propably mainly because of the infected only beeing able to walk indoors, but the pve elements of the mod feel better than ever.

Just wanted to point out the abundance of food lying around. I understand the increase of food spawns should balance out the more dangerous zombies but i felt like Pac Man munching my way up to the top of the tower in Rog. Maybe less food but with more blood regain would feel a bit less gamey?

Wasn´t able to find enough supplies yet to craft anything but the ressources for crafting a bandage seem a bit over the top. Maybe we should get the option to craft different kinds of bandages ranging from very basic (stop the bleeding only after a set time with the chance of not stopping the bleeding at all, but with a reduced blood loss per second) to medicinal bandages needing all the ressources currently needed in the patch for crafting a bandage (stop bleeding immidiately).

Thanks for the patch. The mod suddenly feels more like it´s own game. Nicely done!

back from dayzero to vanilla for me...

Edited by sixfeetgiantbunnyrabbit
  • Like 1

loving it, only played it on friday night and lastnight on our server.

Having a bit of trouble gutting/getting meat...anyone else getting this? lets me study the body instead lol

Yeah there is a problem with animals, some of them glitched and you cant open their gear

I didn't care for the last two patches and basically stopped playing and played more of other games. (not other mods...I only play vanilla).

But this patch is very good imo so far in my experience.

I LOVE the swapping melee with firearms mechanic. Now, even with a rifle, we can still use a hatchet/bat/crowbar to remain quiet.

Seems like I bleed out faster now? Not necessarily a bad thing mind you. But see below for my experience with blood regeneration. 

I don't know if I have gotten a virus yet. Haven't gotten any coughs. But is there a HUD notification for when we have been exposed? I read the notes but, if there's no notification (and maybe there is), how do I know I need to get on the ball and find antibiotics? I see there are three stages, but my question is are these noted on the HUD? I realize that in real life you wouldn't know if you've been exposed, at least not right away.

Haven't crafted anything yet but the loot seems interesting. I've seen bricks, crates, duct tape. I'll have to look for a write up on what can be crafted.

The new inventory is very nice. Much easier to load and change bpacks.

Loot spawns are nice now. Easier to find food and drink than guns. Makes more sense imo. Maybe too much food? Drinks seem about right. I'm finding 6 foods to about 1 drink. I don't know if antibiotics are more "plentiful". I played 14 hours of 1.7.2 and never found a one. (This was the main reason I stopped playing.) I hope they are. The previous patches made the game into "find antibiotics" or bandit for them.

Health regeneration for solo players seems slower. (again, maybe I had a virus as well?). I had no red left in my hud icon and ate four cans of beans, a can of stew, and pistachios but my level didn't raise at all. At least not visibly. I still remained in the b/w heartbeat state. I'd still like to see solo players able to get some regeneration from self-administered blood bags. Maybe just make the regen higher for player to player use?

I haven't noticed the "ant lines" of zombs entering cabins, which was present before and made cabins impossible to loot. And before, that usually meant tin cans.

So basically, to put it simply, I'm playing Dayz again. I've seen many such comments on youtube, etc. I think this patch is great for the game. The last two patches made me feel that a new player would just give up. I would have. But this very good now.

Edited by need matches
  • Like 1

So far, loving the update.  The HUD is nice, few gripes with the Zeds though.  It seems the respawn timer on them is ridiculous (Maybe its my just server).  I took out about the 8-10 or so that were around my area, yet as soon as I attempted to move outside the barn, more heard me and flocked to my location.  It seems they are also uber sensitive to sight and sound now as well.  Creeping around slowly has become next to impossible now during the day.  Its weird, some of the closer zeds wont see or hear me, yet some come running from the hills to my location.

I've even sat still on top of a roof prone and started crawling, and all of a sudden I hear one or two take off running towards the building.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Noticed 3 Bugs:

1. The Backpack sound is great! But its missing when opening the backpack from another Player. And especially the other Player wants to know when someone opens his backpack. The other Player was wearing a Ghillie. Dont know if it also happens without ghillie.

2. I had a Z on my neck and ran away to a bush to hide. I crouched 3 times around the bush with the Z only 3 or 4 meters behind me.

After i noticed that the Z wont let me go, i crouched away backwards to have him in sight. He walked and followed me 2 meters and i was already on a free field. Then he turned away and cool down. I think there is some delay that caused this. Maybe a bit tweaking would be good? Sure its hard to find good settings, because it shouldn't be too easy but also not too hard to get rid of zeds.

3. When eating or drinking in a car, the empty tin cans just disappear. But i suggest they should spawn besides the car, like throwing it out of the window. Maybe they already do so and i didn't notice it because it was too far away?

Useful loot i found in about 1 1/2 hour of gameplay:

1 M4A1 CCO SD at NWAF Barracks (Maybe it was just very much luck?)

1 GPS at Stary Sobor Base

1 Marakov SD at Stary Sobor Base

1 Tent at Stary Sobor Supermarket

Factory:

3 Wheels

2 Fueltankparts

2 Engineparts

3 Scrapmetal

1 Windscreenglass

No Duct tape?? Should be more common. I only found one in the NWAF Hangars.

Overall the loot was too much and too good. At least it felt like Xmas! :D

//Edit:

Also i think the UI could be better. Its not bad at all, but a bit more mature look would be great.

I liked the Military style of DayZ with the Letters and sounds appearing when spawning.

I would suggest a UI with matt varnish, scratched, rusty and green shiny letters.

If the player is hurt there could be some transparent dark red blood overlay on the UI.

Edited by r3m0teHORST

The old bike is apparently as loud as a helicopter to zombies ears, but quieter than an M9SD for players.

Is it possible to reduce the noise level on the bikes to coincide with their actual sound?

Edited by Xiroth

For me the most fearsome enemys these days are ... TREES. I died more that 5 times the last few days cause of these *beep* trees! When I'm trying to hide an ATV between two closely related trees, it often gets very difficult to find "an exit" if you get off your vehicle. Don't try to get out of your hideout with force because you will take damage, start bleeding and get unconscious. Also don't try to kneel or lay down to crawl out, you'll get hurt and die most of the time cause of bloodloss.

It's a bug in the 1.8 loot system that will hopefully be fixed very soon right now pretty much every loot point is spawning loot, coupled with all the new loot points they have added its pretty hard to judge anything until they release an update. 

How is fps while we are spawning hundreds of items we might as well see how fps is doing :-)