The Jackall

DayZero Thoughts

Can you imagine a DayZ mod, where the Zombies are replaced with the Aliens??  you remember.... THE ALIEN aliens??

aliens-movie.jpg

Think I just soiled myself.......

Can you imagine a DayZ mod, where the Zombies are replaced with the Aliens??  you remember.... THE ALIEN aliens??

aliens-movie.jpg

Think I just soiled myself.......

Lol, someone did start making one but sadly it just dissappeared I think.

That's what I mean though, I just want to see some fresh ideas.

I'd very carefully speculate that there's things some mods accomplish by actually changing (hacking) files in a way that the devs of the official mod simply can't because they play by the rules (and the law).

Of course some go even further (Hi Origins XXX) and use other peoples work without crediting them and to rub salt in the wound they then try to make money out of it.

Of course it makes no difference to you the end-user depending on your moral compass of course, just thought I'd mention it.

Anyhoo, this topic was regarding the the Division DayZero being serious competition for the SA, my personal opinion is that I don't think it stands a chance for the reasons I mentioned earlier, it's obviously providing good competition for the official mod though and that can only be good for everyone.

That was what i wanted to get out there. I hope The Division Dayzero will show these other modder's and the Standalone team that greatness can be achieved if you have a passion for it. The guys put real effort into the mod.

• Like 2

Cool so we're all agreed then.  Competition is always good, it makes people work harder.

Pissing all over somebody elses work whilst claiming it as your own and breaking the law or trying to make money out of it = bad.

This!

If you remember back when you started palying dayz, what where the little things you talked about? Why cant we enter more buildings? Why are there no spawns up north near Berezino? Why is performance going crazy when i enter cherno? Why are loading times so incredibly long? Why can i loose a zombie by standing in a bush?

Everything i would have liked to be changed was changed in dayzero. And everything was done in a way 100% respectful to the vanilla mod. And with an amazing focus on detail. While most mods tried to fit in as many changes as possible, dayzero is vanilla reloaded.

I`m looking forward to aftermath but until then dayzero is the number 1 mod for me.

But as others have already stated, no mod of the mod can be compared to the standalone, modding can only work with the tools the engine allows while editing / rewriting the engine gives endless possibilities.

That is the word i was looking for. The guys showed respect towards vanilla.

Cool so we're all agreed then.  Competition is always good, it makes people work harder.

Pissing all over somebody elses work whilst claiming it as your own and breaking the law or trying to make money out of it = bad.

agreed. they should be shot.

• Like 1

I am very saddened by the news that whatever GENIUS was creating a mod with the ALIEN Aliens in it, let it die.  However, upon reflection, I guess it may have been just TOO scary an option for this game.  Sure, you can lose a Zombie by hiding in a bush, but them thar Aliens are way too clever for that...... you'd have a spiked tail inserted forcefully into your rectum before you managed to complete your crouch animation!!!

Yes, maybe we do need a DayZ mod, that is the same kind of survival concept, but - Zombies, and + something else.  The Something else though needs to be realistic, and believable, and scary as hell..... but handlable (if thats even a real word).  Yeah, I think it needs to be scary too.... the Adrenaline rush we get from  DayZ, is imo, unlike any other, and the Zombies are absolutely an integral part of that.

Okay Fraggle, so what I said earlier about "how could it be a DayZ mod, without the Zombies" I take back..... and hereby put the question out to the Forum, what would YOU GUYS like to see the Zombies replaced by???  REALISTICLY speaking???

I am very saddened by the news that whatever GENIUS was creating a mod with the ALIEN Aliens in it, let it die.  However, upon reflection, I guess it may have been just TOO scary an option for this game.  Sure, you can lose a Zombie by hiding in a bush, but them thar Aliens are way too clever for that...... you'd have a spiked tail inserted forcefully into your rectum before you managed to complete your crouch animation!!!

Yes, maybe we do need a DayZ mod, that is the same kind of survival concept, but - Zombies, and + something else.  The Something else though needs to be realistic, and believable, and scary as hell..... but handlable (if thats even a real word).  Yeah, I think it needs to be scary too.... the Adrenaline rush we get from  DayZ, is imo, unlike any other, and the Zombies are absolutely an integral part of that.

Okay Fraggle, so what I said earlier about "how could it be a DayZ mod, without the Zombies" I take back..... and hereby put the question out to the Forum, what would YOU GUYS like to see the Zombies replaced by???  REALISTICLY speaking???

Hannibal Lecter's?

Edited by The Jackall

Here you go:

alienz10_zpsb29f4d8b.jpg

See, not a DayZ mod-mod, just an original idea, an Arma2 mod.  That's all I meant when I said I was getting bored of the modders just re-hashing stuff, I want to see new things, exciting things!  It can still use DayZ as inspiration when it comes to the survival elements etc but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD just at least please try to be original.

DOWN WITH ZOMBIES <3

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

Here you go:

See, not a DayZ mod-mod, just an original idea, an Arma2 mod.  That's all I meant when I said I was getting bored of the modders just re-hashing stuff, I want to see new things, exciting things!  It can still use DayZ as inspiration when it comes to the survival elements etc but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD just at least please try to be original.

DOWN WITH ZOMBIES <3

shitballs, that actually looks good. DayA got a ring to it.

Edited by The Jackall
  • Like 1

I'd very carefully speculate that there's things some mods accomplish by actually changing (hacking) files in a way that the devs of the official mod simply can't because they play by the rules (and the law).

What can they do what Rocket and a bunch of BI's own developers can't?

Rocket left the mod because he didn't see a solution. Others picked up his shards and made something better out of it. If they make some money out of it, why not? They obviously spent a lot of effort for something the founder left behind. It's not Rocket or BI who keep the mod alive. It's the community. And it's not that BI is missing out on sales because of them.

image.jpg

Yep, very nearly pooped myself.  Imagine you get one of those spider-like things stuck on your face, and become infected.  Would you be able to take anti's for that?  Or would you have to track down a surviving surgeon in post-apocolypse Chernarus to remove the implanted alien? and if you dont find him in time, the little bugger bursts out your chest, and devours your clan mates??  The possibilites here really are endless!!!

@ Fraggle, love the grey alien pic.... your point has been well-made here I think.  Down with Zombies.... surely someone can come up with an alterior anttagonist that will work / be widely accepted.

Perhaps a mod in the jungles of Borneo, where you have to watch out for Cannibalistic pygmy tribesmen?  In the deserts of Egypt, where if you open a door looking for loot, hoardes of flesh eating Scarab beetles that inhales you and your mates in the blink of an eye??

I for one, hope someone with the same boredom for Zombies is reading this, and passing the ideas along to those with the knowledge and skills to bring it into creation.  Till then, however, I will be rushing home to play DayZero, DayZ Overwatch and the like.... till DayA arrives XD

• Like 1

What can they do what Rocket and a bunch of BI's own developers can't?

Rocket left the mod because he didn't see a solution. Others picked up his shards and made something better out of it. If they make some money out of it, why not? They obviously spent a lot of effort for something the founder left behind. It's not Rocket or BI who keep the mod alive. It's the community. And it's not that BI is missing out on sales because of them.

I'm not sure I understand the question?

You're mixing up modding (which is what Rocket did when he created DayZ using Arma2) with what they are now doing with the SA which means actually creating a game.  Or am I missing something?  (and don't say Deans just thrown the mod to one side, it's his baby, he's taken the idea and run with it (the SA) whilst still doing his best to support the community devs)

I agree it's the community and other modders that have kept DayZ alive, that's nothing new for BIS or mods in general, that's how it works.  They've been supporting and encouraging the modding community for over a decade.  There are however rules (and laws) within modding.

For years with Arma people have been creating mods and crediting other people with the content (custom maps etc.) where appropriate and respecting the actual rules (and law) set by BIS when it comes to modding a pre-existing games content, it's never really been an issue because it's a small (ish) community, most of whom have a mutual respect for eachother.

When I refer to peoples work being used, I'm not refferring to Deans, I'm reffering to the Arma community at large.  Most of the "new" things you see in the current mods aren't new at all, they're ripped straight off of the Armaholic site with no though or credit given to the original authors.  And then some modders have the cheek to to try and "sell" this work, most of which was done by somebody else for free out of passion/as a hobby.

Over the last year I've frequently seen these rules thrown aside as people start to see dollar signs and to put it bluntly it's bullshit.  If I spend months designing a sexy new type of hoover and then you basically change the colour of that hoover, call it your own work and then start to sell it you bet your ass I'm gonna be pretty pissed off with you.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 6

...Over the last year though I've frequently seen these rules thrown aside as people start to see dollar signs and to put it bluntly it's bullshit. ...

is true :beans:

no problem with creative guys make vision for dayz, put new idea and remember always passion for experience of play :thumbsup:  :D

>:(  but greedy empty soul bastards who make  pay for win bullshit use other guys work and only mod is 1000 heli?

they bring stink like dogshit when they come

Edited by KoS

If you generalise and compare the Arma modding community with the DayZ modding community they are sometimes poles apart in terms of respecting each others work and giving fair credit where it is due.

There have been numerous cases, for instance, of new mods using custom maps without even having the decency to ask the original maker of that map (something that can take literally years to produce)

It is all about respect, really.

You're mixing up modding (which is what Rocket did when he created DayZ using Arma2) with what they are now doing with the SA which means actually creating a game.  Or am I missing something?  (and don't say Deans just thrown the mod to one side, it's his baby, he's taken the idea and run with it (the SA) whilst still doing his best to support the community devs)

I agree it's the community and other modders that have kept DayZ alive, that's nothing new for BIS, they've been supporting and encouraging the modding community for over a decade.  There are however rules (and laws) within modding.

For years with Arma people have been creating mods and crediting other people with the content (custom maps etc.) where appropriate and respecting the actual rules (and law) set by BIS when it comes to modding a pre-existing games content, it's never really been an issue because it's a small (ish) community, most of whom have a mutual respect for eachother.

When I refer to peoples work being used, I'm not refferring to Deans, I'm reffering to the Arma community at large.  Most of the "new" things you see in the current mods aren't new at all, they're ripped straight off of the Armaholic site with no though or credit given to the original authors at all.

Over the last year though I've frequently seen these rules thrown aside as people start to see dollar signs and to put it bluntly it's bullshit.  If I spend months designing a sexy new type of hoover and then you basically change the colour of that hoover, call it your own work and then start to sell it you bet your ass I'm gonna be pretty pissed off with you.

i don't understand any of this. How are the guys making money with the Mod's? Unless you guys are referring those tarts who made WarZ?

And just on a side note, if the guys who modded Dayzero had people pay a minimum donation of $5 to get extra slot if server hits 40, i would gladly pay for that.

Isn't the "Upgrade for reserved slot" message you see on Day Zero just that??  I know Day Zero is brand spanking new, and the whole world and his uncle wants to play it, but I spent a GOOD portion of frustrated game time on trying to find a slot on an open server. 

And I'm sorry, what is the point of playing Day Zero on the Chernarus map, on a foreign server?  I would then rather just stick to my good old south african hosted Overwatch server rather, where I know where all the good shit spawns already, and I'm comfortable there.

Perhaps once we get our own Day Zero server hosted here, these may no longer be issues, but for now..... we sit and stare at the "Waiting for character to create" screen.... whilst uttering prayers under our breath to the Gaming Gods!

Isn't the "Upgrade for reserved slot" message you see on Day Zero just that??  I know Day Zero is brand spanking new, and the whole world and his uncle wants to play it, but I spent a GOOD portion of frustrated game time on trying to find a slot on an open server. 

And I'm sorry, what is the point of playing Day Zero on the Chernarus map, on a foreign server?  I would then rather just stick to my good old south african hosted Overwatch server rather, where I know where all the good shit spawns already, and I'm comfortable there.

Perhaps once we get our own Day Zero server hosted here, these may no longer be issues, but for now..... we sit and stare at the "Waiting for character to create" screen.... whilst uttering prayers under our breath to the Gaming Gods!

i don't think those slots are guaranteed. might be wrong.

You made it sound like the DayZero guys broke laws. I can't really see that. Instead they did what Rocket was either unwilling or incapable of: smoothing out major bugs and fixing stuff that had to be fixed. That's what I give them credit for.

Other modders I don't care about in this thread.

You made it sound like the DayZero guys broke laws. I can't really see that. Instead they did what Rocket was either unwilling or incapable of: smoothing out major bugs and fixing stuff that had to be fixed. That's what I give them credit for.

Other modders I don't care about in this thread.

i don't want to blame Rocket and his team for being useless, but i do think the guys behind DayZero achieved more with their version of the mod in lesser time then rocket and his did since the launch of vanilla. They have been able to fix stuff in the game which Rocket and the guys couldn't find solutions too.

Maybe he should hire them and we can finally get the standalone before xmas :)

i don't want to blame Rocket and his team for being useless, but i do think the guys behind DayZero achieved more with their version of the mod in lesser time then rocket and his did since the launch of vanilla. They have been able to fix stuff in the game which Rocket and the guys couldn't find solutions too.

Maybe he should hire them and we can finally get the standalone before xmas :)

I think it's unfair to say "they achieved more in lesser time".

We can't just ignore all the development made previously by the original team and the community devs on vanilla.

Don't you think the Dayzero team took a huge foundation so they could "mod" and release their version?

• Like 1