Jex

POLL: Dayz SA 1st person only

Would you play dayz if 1st person ONLY  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play dayz SA if 1st person ONLY

Reddit says;

89%-Yes

11%-No

i think we would see this result even if the poll was: would you play dayz SA if you'd know it causes cancer?

at this point i'd play SA no matter what..

point of view is secondary factor..

a lot of people go in 3rd person servers because there is more action, more players online and once you're in, it's stupid to not use the exploits..if they go away from SA, there's no harm in 3rd person.

a lot of players had experiences in different FPS i'm sure, where you cannot always toggle POV, so that's why such a percentage of the community will play even with 1st only.

• Like 2

I would still play the SA without a TPV option as would everybody I'm sure so I voted yes. However I'm sure there would be a mirrored response on a poll titled 'would you still play the SA if first person view was scrapped and TPV fixed?'. What sort of person would be petty enough to boycott a whole game just because they didn't get what they wanted? I think this particular poll is of very limited use...

i think we would see this result even if the poll was: would you play dayz SA if you'd know it causes cancer?

at this point i'd play SA no matter what..

point of view is secondary factor..

a lot of people go in 3rd person servers because there is more action, more players online and once you're in, it's stupid to not use the exploits..if they go away from SA, there's no harm in 3rd person.

a lot of players had experiences in different FPS i'm sure, where you cannot always toggle POV, so that's why such a percentage of the community will play even with 1st only.

That's I think because servers are made up in default and "DayZ" want not thought to be a different gaming experience but just an ordinary mod of ArmA 2, so DayZ, in the eyes of many ppl, was meants to be an ArmA 2 experience.

I would still play the SA without a TPV option as would everybody I'm sure so I voted yes. However I'm sure there would be a mirrored response on a poll titled 'would you still play the SA if first person view was scrapped and TPV fixed?'. What sort of person would be petty enough to boycott a whole game just because they didn't get what they wanted? I think this particular poll is of very limited use...

Did you check the poll anyway?

The amount of "Yes" was 89% however about 23% of the participants went with;

"Yes, I'd still play DayZ StandAlone if it would be "FPV (1st Person View) ONLY". I'd but be sad to see that happening."

In reddit someone offered me to change the first option with;

"Would you still play standalone if Dayz was FPV only, asuming the FPV was improved drastically?"

My respond was;

"I thought of such possible addable stuff. However, it was not introduced and we cannot know if it will be better or not.

Another research can be made when the things are more clear. It is about the sake/clarity of the research."

The thing is that we do not know if the TPV or FPV will be improved so damn much (how much actually?). We did not see any introduction about none of the views yet, so making assumptions for some options in a poll would imo not make the results very much clear.

Edited by SoulHunter

So long as they fix the Head-bobbing so that I don't get motion-sick I'm all in...  The head-bobbing is just a little too much for me when running long distances.

sigggghhhhh,,  ever think about checking the game options ?  I figured it out in about 5 seconds.   

Did you check the poll anyway?

The amount of "Yes" was 89% however about 23% of the participants went with;

"Yes, I'd still play DayZ StandAlone if it would be "FPV (1st Person View) ONLY". I'd but be sad to see that happening."

In reddit someone offered me to change the first option with;

"Would you still play standalone if Dayz was FPV only, asuming the FPV was improved drastically?"

My respond was;

"I thought of such possible addable stuff. However, it was not introduced and we cannot know if it will be better or not.

Another research can be made when the things are more clear. It is about the sake/clarity of the research."

The thing is that we do not know if the TPV or FPV will be improved so damn much (how much actually?). We did not see any introduction about none of the views yet, so making assumptions for some options in a poll would imo not make the results very much clear.

I did vote in the other poll on here too, which actually seemed like a more useful one than this one. Perhaps you should put up a similar poll on here and Reddit titled 'would you still play DayZ if nothing was changed'? I'd bet that almost everyone who plays now would vote yes.

Edited by Jamz

I'd really like to see a poll set up like this:

Would you buy DayZ SA if it was First Person Only (No third person at all)

Yes

No

Would you buy DayZ SA if it was Third Person Only (No first person at all)

Yes

No

The responses would be very interesting, especially those who would say "But I use first person too!"

• Like 1

There is no such thing as a "fixed TPV option"

* No matter how you will try to adjust it, someone will find a way to exploit it.

The removal of the TPV would prompt fair game-play rather than cheap game-play.

Edited by Sobieski12
  • Like 1

* No matter how you will try to adjust it, someone will find a way to exploit it.

The only people who advocate for a compromise have never actually tried to deal with exploiting third person before. Everything you can do just makes the game janky, like invisible people popping up on your screen, or makes the third person camera shitty to use, like being locked to certain perspectives. It's infeasible to both fix third person and have third person be worthy of staying in the game, so cut to the chase and just remove it.

• Like 1

I'd really like to see a poll set up like this:

Would you buy DayZ SA if it was First Person Only (No third person at all)

Yes

No

Would you buy DayZ SA if it was Third Person Only (No first person at all)

Yes

No

The responses would be very interesting, especially those who would say "But I use first person too!"

That would be misleading as you could only vote for one or the other, suggesting everyone would only buy it if it was only one or the other. What if everyone who voted would actually buy it either way? You would never know.

You can't possibly know that so that is an assumption, which then discredits your last statement.

That would be misleading as you could only vote for one or the other, suggesting everyone would only buy it if it was only one or the other. What if everyone who voted would actually buy it either way? You would never know.

Those people don't matter! They're going to buy it either way! Can you point out a real issue with that poll, or are you just trying to avoid what it really means?

Go suck this egg dgeesio, the subreddit is far more active than this forum.

Edited by Dsi1
  • Like 1

You can't possibly know that so that is an assumption, which then discredits your last statement.

Actually I am sure that is the case.

* The inability to exploit the 3rd person camera would prompt fair game-play.

Explain how would it not.

Edited by Sobieski12
  • Like 1

Those people don't matter! They're going to buy it either way! Can you point out a real issue with that poll, or are you just trying to avoid what it really means?

What I'm saying is that I suspect everyone would want to vote for both but are unable to do so. I think everyone would play DayZ regardless of which view was left in or removed, and would continue to 'discuss' on the forums. If you want to know which view players prefer then simply ask that. I'd suggest setting up your poll, but I'm not sure any more polls at all would be a good idea at the moment.

What I'm saying is that I suspect everyone would want to vote for both but are unable to do so. I think everyone would play DayZ regardless of which view was left in or removed, and would continue to 'discuss' on the forums. If you want to know which view players prefer then simply ask that. I'd suggest setting up your poll, but I'm not sure any more polls at all would be a good idea at the moment.

But those few people that would vote for both would buy it regardless, they belong to the "I don't care deeply about this game" group. There are only two preferences, First Person Only, or Third Person. Most people play Third Person because its easier, the people who care about the game and want to see an awesome hard-survival MP game want First Person Only.

• Like 1

Actually I am sure that is the case.

* The inability to exploit the 3rd person camera would prompt fair game-play.

Explain how would it not.

'The removal of the TPV would prompt fair game-play rather than cheap game-play.'

If it can be fixed, then it has the exact same effect as its removal. Fair rather than cheap gameplay. Your statement depends on the assumption that TPV can't be fixed which if inaccurate removes any difference in fairness of gameplay between the two views. Adequate explanation?

'The removal of the TPV would prompt fair game-play rather than cheap game-play.'

If it can be fixed, then it has the exact same effect as its removal. Fair rather than cheap gameplay. Your statement depends on the assumption that TPV can't be fixed which if inaccurate removes any difference in fairness of gameplay between the two views. Adequate explanation?

Then why not remove it?

TPV cannot be fixed without ruining its main uses or ruining playability of third person. So why the fuck bother?

• Like 1

But those few people that would vote for both would buy it regardless, they belong to the "I don't care deeply about this game" group. There are only two preferences, First Person Only, or Third Person. Most people play Third Person because its easier, the people who care about the game and want to see an awesome hard-survival MP game want First Person Only.

Then do you not think a poll of simply what view would you prefer: FPV yes/no or TPV yes/no would suffice? Then you push people to make a decision between the two without making the results look like they would only play if their choice was the chosen one. If you intend to use poll results as evidence for an argument then the wording of the poll is of paramount importance.

Then why not remove it?

TPV cannot be fixed without ruining its main uses or ruining playability of third person. So why the fuck bother?

I'm bowing out here, simply because you seem certain that TPV can't be fixed properly and I think it can. I don't want this thread to become another circular argument about opinions as it's a purile waste of time.

Edited by Jamz

Then do you not think a poll of simply what view would you prefer: FPV yes/no or TPV yes/no would suffice? Then you push people to make a decision between the two without making the results look like they would only play if their choice was the chosen one. If you intend to use poll results as evidence for an argument then the wording of the poll is of paramount importance.

Exactly, the poll was very carefully worded to be FPV Only vs TPV Only. Because FPV and TPV trends to TPV only (except for that bit where you shoot people but surely you wouldn't mind doing that in third person?)

It's not about opinions, TPV cannot be fixed in a way that both removes the exploits and also makes TPV usable. If you think things through you'll notice this, but you stop at key points to pretend that if you really did it it would all work out.

Edited by Dsi1
  • Like 1

Since these threads spawn like mushrooms lately on the forums, I'll try to point out some things some people seem to ignore. In order to understand this post please leave out of this the FPV vs TPV mentality.

First of all, to those who complain about TPV not being realistic. Well, in real life one person can cover almost 180 degrees with his two eyes without turning his head. And then peripheral vision comes to play, where it's easier to spot movements with the corner of your eye than by staring directly at the moving object. FPV does not allow this. The space it covers is almost half of what we get in real life, no peripheral vision also. Bottomline, neither view is realistic.

The reason FPV works in most first person shooters is that when playing such a game you usually have to worry only for one thing. Enemy players. You don't have to take into account both PVP and PVE. Situational/spatial awareness is a fundamental aspect of a PVE game. And first person view doesn't cut it, simple as that. Yes, even with freelook. Because that takes time and a key press to use, and while using it you can't make your character turn.

Not to mention that especially in the mod with the clunky moves, the multiple bugs, the buggy zeds and all the other far from perfect things, third person view is required at one point or another. Never mind about PVP. Just for these reasons.

To all those complaining about others exploiting TPV. Well not much to say, obviously this needs to be fixed, and I'm sure in time it will be fixed.

To those claiming TPV is noobish and "easy mode". Well, just answer me this. Do you play on servers with crosshairs? If so, please do not post in one of these threads again. We are playing a survival simulator, based on a milsim, with extremely detailed weapons/scopes/sights and you are still using crosshairs to hipfire your DMR at close range combat. IMO the first thing that needs to get ditched from this game, both mod and SA are the crosshairs. It's much more realistic shooting through the sights in TPV than using crosshairs in FPV.

As far as SA goes, I find it a bit silly starting polls and debates whether something needs to be removed from it before you even get your hands on it (unless it's something as obvious as crosshairs). Maybe it works differently in the SA, maybe it's fixed/limited in some way. They're still thinking about it as far as I know. Making a gazillion threads of "FPV vs TPV" on the forums is not going to help. They only thing you are accomplishing is to make the forums a more messed up place than it's already is. Try to think about the people using the search function. Point is, have some patience, play the SA, experience the new game, new engine, new animations, new zeds, new everything and then - and only then- start complaining about something.

TLDR - Keep the forums clean and organized, have patience, stop bashing on TPV and players using it, and get out of this FPV vs TPV mentality. For a change try the "what is feasible under the engine we've got, realistic, fun" mentality.

Edited by h3l1x