Sign in to follow this  
thisisPyro

Game needs a sniper heavier than 7.62

After the removal of the as50. and the m107 both incredibly powerful, accurate, death machines. I have felt that the left over snipers were both unrealistic in diversity and left a need for a heavier caliber. Also the only NV compatible sniper left is the DMR. This basically limits certain players to use the DMR simply so that it works with their NV. Also no guns in the game currently can reliable disable a military vehicle. I have played on servers where a group of players would fly around in a Huey, essentially invincible, gunning down survivors. My suggestion to these problems is the introduction of a bolt action sniper in a heavier caliber than 7.62. A 50.cal bolt action could penetrate armored glass of pilot seats and could take down a main rotor in a couple of shots. But it does not even need to be a 50. cal, other calibers like the .416 barrett or the .338 lapua could do the job.  Also it could be NV compatible so players have a choice other than the DMR. Essential what is needed is a way for players to fight back against armored vehicles even if they don't have an armored vehicle, yet keep it balanced by making it a bolt action and a rare spawn either at chopper crashes or a small chance in the barracks. 

http://www.barrett.net/firearms/model95

http://www.barrett.net/firearms/mrad

two Barrett example of what I am talking about. 

• Like 2

I think the current snipers are fine, but it would be great to see the DMR being replaced by the SVD and adding what you said above.

I think the current snipers are fine, but it would be great to see the DMR being replaced by the SVD and adding what you said above.

The SVD is already in game and is much different than the DMR. I much prefer harder hitting bolt action rifles to semi auto spam. But I also think there should be choices. This is suppose to be the end of the world and the world has a lot of guns in it. 

Well this sounds familiar.

Do keep in mind that private hives can re-enable any and all weapons within ARMA 2.

The official change-log only affect the servers connected to the official DayZ Hive. (And those servers that decide not to change the values.)

It's called a crossbow :)

I don't believe in the need for antimaterial rifles, it's just more gun fetish.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

It's called a crossbow :)

I don't believe in the need for antimaterial rifles, it's just more gun fetish.

Guess you never played on geared servers than. 

I agree it is hard to destroy choppers but with a decent weapon (DMR, acog rifles and scoped weapons in general) you can shoot out the gunners and pilot quite easily.

I Think the decision to remove the as50 and m107 was drastic, they were massively overpowered but instead of removing them, perhaps they could have been nerfed to something like 10000 blood damage.

I don't really know if that is possible.

If you can't make a kill or disable a pilot/driver using the DMR, then you shouldn't be calling yourself a sniper.

Edited by GrumpyGat
  • Like 8

If you can't make a kill or disable a pilot/driver using the DMR, then you shouldn't be calling yourself a sniper.

Just yesterday I took down a Huey using an AKM by shooting the pilot @ 150m. 7.62 is more than adequate to do anything.

I would however like to see some 7mm or 30-06 introduced in SA.

Sooo sick of hearing the .50 cal groupies come on here and bitch about not being able to take down a chopper or a Humvee with a few shots. You are asking for the game to be forgiving and balanced, when that is the total opposite of what DayZ is and should be. Why the fuck should those guys work hours upon hours to get that Huey working only to be shot down in one fell swoop because a lucky prick that can't even shoot for shit found a .50 caliber anti-material rifle and got a lucky shot on their rotor/engine. This may sound like a counterargument towards the game being unforgiving, but in reality it isn't. The Huey is earned, and your reasoning for having 50 cals re-introduced (easier means of killing vehicles) is ridiculous. If 50 cals EVER are introduced into the MOD (never SA) they should be in some kind of impenetrable place that is almost impossible to get to, and EARNED by hardened players that dedicate their time and effort to acquiring them.

Edited by OfficerRaymond
  • Like 7

Just yesterday I took down a Huey using an AKM by shooting the pilot @ 150m. 7.62 is more than adequate to do anything.

I would however like to see some 7mm or 30-06 introduced in SA.

Sooo sick of hearing the .50 cal groupies come on here and bitch about not being able to take down a chopper or a Humvee with a few shots. You are asking for the game to be forgiving and balanced, when that is the total opposite of what DayZ is and should be. Why the fuck should those guys work hours upon hours to get that Huey working only to be shot down in one fell swoop because a lucky prick that can't even shoot for shit found a .50 caliber anti-material rifle and got a lucky shot on their rotor/engine. This may sound like a counterargument towards the game being unforgiving, but in reality it isn't. The Huey is earned, and your reasoning for having 50 cals re-introduced (easier means of killing vehicles) is ridiculous. If 50 cals EVER are introduced into the MOD (never SA) they should be in some kind of impenetrable place that is almost impossible to get to, and EARNED by hardened players that dedicate their time and effort to acquiring them.

True.  To add, if you hear a heli, and you're a sniper, 50cal or not you should be doing one of two things- moving as fast as your little legs will carry you, or not moving at all.  

• Like 2

if u need something bigger then 7.62 x 51 then you should go back to basic and learn to aim...

M16 Acog FTW

But atleast they didnt ask for a tesla cannon or railgun

if u need something bigger then 7.62 x 51 then you should go back to basic and learn to aim...

M16 Acog FTW

But atleast they didnt ask for a tesla cannon or railgun

lol.  although... an acog in basic?

The SVD is already in game and is much different than the DMR. I much prefer harder hitting bolt action rifles to semi auto spam. But I also think there should be choices. This is suppose to be the end of the world and the world has a lot of guns in it. 

Yeah, the SVD Camo is in the game which is rare as fuck, but not the regular SVD as far as I know. It would be great if they made the DMR extremely rare and made a regular SVD with it's old spawn rate because right now you can find DMRs everywhere, and thats pretty bad considering it is one of the best sniper rifles in the mod.

• Like 4

The military Mils have bulletproof glass on the cockpit. Meaning you can not shoot the pilot out. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0xzSGkDb0U just an example of how strong the armor is on a heli. 

DMR has always been the single most broken gun in DayZ. Even more so than .50 cals.

It's always been easy to find, easy to get ammo for, can be used with NVG, almost no recoil, 20 bullet spam machine... Yeah...

I hate the .50 cals, but at least they and their ammo was rare (pre duping), the gun was also so loud and distinct that it would attract all the Enfield wielding noobies to look for the sniper and turn hin into a piniata.

DMR has to go. Semi auto snipers should be rarer than bolt action and less damaging

• Like 1

How about no Anti-material sniper rifles at all? how about extremely inaccurate snipers that can't hit a cow that's 5 meters infront of them?

How about no Anti-material sniper rifles at all? how about extremely inaccurate snipers that can't hit a cow that's 5 meters infront of them?

Yea cause that is realistic. 

I remember when I was gunned down on the coast by a chopper.

I was like OMG a chopper! He's hovering, is he gonna pick me up? I was running from zombies at the time, they started shooting and I managed to get under a tree before they broke my leg and I was shot dead under a pile of zombies :( wat fags!

I think it should also noticeable damage the hull so they know to get out before they're dead in the air.

Might aswell add grenade launcher like HK79 or M79 for anti-vehicle/fortification purpose

I found it a tad weird that given we are in the old USSR i haven't seen a lot of hunting weapons and/or soviet bloc weapons yet. Like say, if there were prisons I'd love to see the KS-23 anti riot shotgun (no that was not out of Call of Duty, but still, it's one of the lesser known famous Soviet export) Or say, inside military barracks why could i not find a F1 grenade or mortar shells which was staples of Soviet defensive doctrine (the F1 were strictly limited to guards only due to the 40m lethal radius. Some licensed version are capable ~100m fragmentating radius as I've seen)

Another thing was the limited calibers for hunting rifle. What? CZ550? There's Izhmash, Tula, Izhevsk, KBP and a lot more state controlled arsenal in the Soviet than anywhere else in the world. How come I haven't came across Saiga shotguns, Balkal rifle and Tula bolt action yet. The lack of scope was also appaling. I have yet to see any PU scoped hunting rifle, which was very common in the Soviet republics due to the availablity (the scope were mass produced in Krasnogorsk, Kaliningrad and issued by the thousands during WW2, brought back by the crateload by demobbed soldiers and then used for farming and hunting and other agricultural proposes and so on)

td,dr: we don't need anything bigger than 7.62, since there should be more that fits in the anti-vehicle categories of weapons. And we need more civvies weapons or surplus, with a wider range of accessories and calibers than the current selection ( all but one are military sniper rifles, which are not that common even during emergency anyway. And my staples marksman rifle like the SKS and common SVD are missing)

I feel super sniper rifles don't belong in the alpha/beta due to all the hackers and dupers.  My suggestion would be add the m107 back in the dayz standalone.  Make it very rare and the ammo also rare.  Since in the standalone we will hopefully have not NEARLY as many hackers or dupers.

Just going to say, the .338 lapua is designed for light armor penetration (kevlar, carrier plate) and to kill human targets, not disable vehicles. And yes, those are different

staples marksman rifle like the SKS and common SVD are missing)

Russia didn't have "Marksmans" before the 90's. They had semi automatic rifles because of hold over in design and lack of an automatic design that was up to their standards. The SVD was a very rare suggestion, but that's already outdated for being inaccurate trash.

Just going to say, the .338 lapua is designed for light armor penetration (kevlar, carrier plate) and to kill human targets, not disable vehicles. And yes, those are differen

The .338 Lapua is a dual-purpose anti-personnel and anti-materiel round, but its anti-materiel potential is limited, according to wikipedia

Edited by thisisPyro