lord3n

Gais, Gais, Gais! SA Idea - Children Zeds?

I think i heard somewhere that in developing countries where poverty is the norm, children were among the most dedicated to survive, taking greater risks to survive than their adult counterparts. working in large groups they sought protection in numbers, and if im not mistaken, i believe scientists thought that their behavior was instinctive, meaning deeply imbedded in the brain.

maybe if there are children zeds in the game they might display some of these characteristics?

maybe we could have 3 different variations of children? one 9yo, one 17yo and one 25yo? just to give the authentic impression of different sizes of kids around?

i mean, SURELY there were children living in Chenaurus right?

I dare them to make an infant child that doesnt even walk, and hide that bomb in a dark house where it can crawl up and infect a player, make it cry in a horrible way so it bellows off the buildings in the large apartment complex and nobody knows what unit its in, but it wont stop crying.

• Like 2

Hello there

I very much doubt infected under 16 will be in.

Its a topic that pops up every now and then.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 7

I think it was discussed a while ago and adding child zombies to the mix would mean that DayZ could struggle to be released in some countries.  If that wasn't an issue though I like to see them in-game.

• Like 6

I think it was discussed a while ago and adding child zombies to the mix would mean that DayZ could struggle to be released in some countries.  If that wasn't an issue though I like to see them in-game.

Now how about child characters ey?  They could have a bonus to run through rat holes in buildings and crawl into sewers where the average man cannot.  Equipped with wiffle bats and marbles at spawn in.  It would be like home alone meets chernarus.  You would have ghillie suits getting tar'd and feathered walking into a childrens home whilst little orphan andy laughed from a distance in his rat hole.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 10

Now how about child characters ey?  They could have a bonus to run through rat holes in buildings and crawl into sewers where the average man cannot.  Equipped with wiffle bats and marbles at spawn in.  It would be like home alone meets chernarus.  You would have ghillie suits getting tar'd and feathered walking into a childrens home whilst little orphan andy laughed from a distance in his rat hole.

Genius 

• Like 2

i think it would really really help with the creepie feel. the feeling of seeing a diverse population in terms of size, more authentic i think. even a few different sizes of adults, with just some minor height variations.

i think they are doing a great job with the game, only want to see it be the best it can be.

Would this really be an issue in a game where we will be able to put a gun to our own head though? :)

EDIT: I'm all for it since it would be really creepy and disturbing, as a horror game should be!

Edited by Terrorviktor

Would this really be an issue in a game where we will be able to put a gun to our own head though? :)

No idea :/

Censorship panels aren't famous for applying common sense that often.

• Like 2

Being 13, I personally think I might have a chance of surviving a "Zombie" apocalypse. I have a few backpacks, some survival kits, a few first-aid kits, I know how to use firearms. Despite my asthma, I've got the will, the gear and the mental stabillity to survive a little while.

• Like 1

Being 13, I personally think I might have a chance of surviving a "Zombie" apocalypse. I have a few backpacks, some survival kits, a few first-aid kits, I know how to use firearms. Despite my asthma, I've got the will, the gear and the mental stabillity to survive a little while.

You are missing wiffle bats and marbles, this will boost your survival and amusement in killing by 80%

• Like 4

You beat me too it.

Children in video games can't be hurt seriously/killed or abused beyond verbal/occasional slap to the face for most countries. Do you want children in the game at the expense of Australian players? Swedish? Polish? German? Those other European countries that people care about?

• Like 1

Censors: Well lets check out this game...

*Flesh eating zombie appears on game decapitating a player*

Censors: Well this doesn't seam that bad.

*One player greets another with a wave*

Censors: WAIT! THAT LOOKS TOO MUCH LIKE A SEIG HEIL!  BANISH THIS GAME!

Or.

WAIT! That female zombie's shirt is somewhat see through! We can't release this smut in our country!

Or any 100000 other examples.

• Like 3

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1h3f7e/state_of_decay_banned_because_of_drugs_what_if/caqgx8e?context=3

I honestly have no idea how relevant that is though.

You beat me too it.

Children in video games can't be hurt seriously/killed or abused beyond verbal/occasional slap to the face for most countries. Do you want children in the game at the expense of Australian players? Swedish? Polish? German? Those other European countries that people care about?

But if they are infected children? As in not really children? Dead Space babies anyone? :)

I read or heard someone say recently that it is kind of weird that we have all these WW2 games but never have set our foot in a concentration camp to see the horrors. "Games" as a medium need to grow up in this regard. Not really the same thing but there are some weird "rules" about what is allowed in a game and what is not. Movies have killed off kids for a long time. The Walking Dead series STARTS with a young girl getting shot in the face by a police man. So what if it gets an 18 rating or whatever... sales are not an issue according to rocket. :P

If it is technically possible (probably needs a separate skeleton and such for children) I very much hope children will be included in the game in the future.

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 3

But if they are children? 

That's how they're going to read it.

humans are very visual creatures, our brains are processing information we aren't even thinking about consciously. and seeing at night, different sized silhouettes wandering around is something i think would help with the emersion and believability. it would add more sounds, which would also help the diversity. can get some eerie sounds out of them. maybe some sounds with a hint of anxiousness, some canned energy just waiting to blow open that only youth would possess. lets you know that less size equals more fight. even the decomposed ones can limp, crawl with a bit more vigor, which would also mean different speeds at which zeds approach you, and to me, that would be yet another thing that falls into the authentic category.

right? wrong?

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1h3f7e/state_of_decay_banned_because_of_drugs_what_if/caqgx8e?context=3

I honestly have no idea how relevant that is though.

But if they are infected children? As in not really children? Dead Space babies anyone? :)

I read or heard someone say recently that it is kind of weird that we have all these WW2 games but never have set our foot in a concentration camp to see the horrors. "Games" as a medium need to grow up in this regard. Not really the same thing but there are some weird "rules" about what is allowed in a game and what is not. Movies have killed off kids for a long time. The Walking Dead series STARTS with a young girl getting shot in the face by a police man. So what if it gets an 18 rating or whatever... sales are not an issue according to rocket. :P

If it is technically possible (probably needs a separate skeleton and such for children) I very much hope children will be included in the game in the future.

This kinda gets into the 'can' and 'should' category, as in 'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.'  After all, Steam might not rate or require ratings for games they publish, but I don't see too many Japanese Sex Sims on Steam.  After all, That Game Which Shall Not Be Named was the first game EVER on Steam to warrant a refund to customers who bought it.  We don't want DayZ to be the reason Steam starts to rate and require rateings for games.

And after all, it only takes one 12 year old with a Lazy yet Overprotective parent to ruin things  (GTA for example, you can have 'sex' with a prostitute, then kill them to get your money back, that caused a giant shit storm with people who thought that was the only thing you could do in GTA).  Lets say Rocket goes crazy and adds in mechanics that usually get sent to the graveyard on this forum when they're suggested just because he can (sex ((player/player, player/zombie)), menstruation, rape, visual suicide ((where you see your avi perform the act rather than just drop dead)), ect) and imagine the shitstorm that'll cause.

We need to think about things the consequences of such things, I know DayZ doesn't really have any 'sponsors' aside from Bohemia, but people tend to get offended and bitch and then endorsements start to be withdrawn.

Would adding in kids and teens as NPCs actually add something to the game?  Possibly, would it be meaningful?  Not entirely.  I would point again to another outrage/fake controversy of COD's 'No Russian', and (I think Battlefield 3's) Family vacationing in Paris when the nuke goes off.  These were just pixels and people were acting as if a real 8 year old was featured in a rather violent snuff film on National TV.

TL;DR:  There's pushing the envelope, and then there's just rubbing your dick in someone's face because you can.

Edited by BigMike

Cough, cough.

Australia!

• Like 1

Next topic of conversation, pregnant zombie women.

Edited by Beck
  • Like 1

Next topic of conversation, pregnant zombie women.

Kicking them in the gut lowers your humanity.

• Like 1

This kinda gets into the 'can' and 'should' category, as in 'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.'  After all, Steam might not rate or require ratings for games they publish, but I don't see too many Japanese Sex Sims on Steam.  After all, That Game Which Shall Not Be Named was the first game EVER on Steam to warrant a refund to customers who bought it.  We don't want DayZ to be the reason Steam starts to rate and require rateings for games.

And after all, it only takes one 12 year old with a Lazy yet Overprotective parent to ruin things  (GTA for example, you can have 'sex' with a prostitute, then kill them to get your money back, that caused a giant shit storm with people who thought that was the only thing you could do in GTA).  Lets say Rocket goes crazy and adds in mechanics that usually get sent to the graveyard on this forum when they're suggested just because he can (sex ((player/player, player/zombie)), menstruation, rape, visual suicide ((where you see your avi perform the act rather than just drop dead)), ect) and imagine the shitstorm that'll cause.

We need to think about things the consequences of such things, I know DayZ doesn't really have any 'sponsors' aside from Bohemia, but people tend to get offended and bitch and then endorsements start to be withdrawn.

Would adding in kids and teens as NPCs actually add something to the game?  Possibly, would it be meaningful?  Not entirely.  I would point again to another outrage/fake controversy of COD's 'No Russian', and (I think Battlefield 3's) Family vacationing in Paris when the nuke goes off.  These were just pixels and people were acting as if a real 8 year old was featured in a rather violent snuff film on National TV.

TL;DR:  There's pushing the envelope, and then there's just rubbing your dick in someone's face because you can.

Well, fuck'em. :)

I don't see a problem with a shit storm really, especially with a small game like this. And both GTA and CoD did fine, despite controversy. It's all a matter of taste and context and adding children as victims in a widespread infection scenario makes sense. If it was just kids being there to be killed that would be offensive, but that isn't the case here.

Why should WE think of the consequences? We get a better game as a result of it. We should encourage developers to push boundaries!

I still fail to see why this is such a no-no when both TV and film has been mature enough to treat children as actual humans for a long time. Or scratch that; I can see WHY it is a problem right now but I fail to see why we as consumers accept that. It's probably because there still is the misconceptions that a game has to be fun. We should just change the name of the medium from video games to... I don't know... interactive storyteliing? :)

Sorry for going off topic, I just love these kind of discussions.

• Like 3

I think a big problem outside of the industry in general is that video games are still seen by most as something for kids.

That may have been the case a long time ago but gamers are getting older.  Some games reflect that with their content but the peeps that make the rules will always (at least for a long time yet) view them as a passtime for children.  I personally think they should be treated the same way as films are.  Want to add an explicit sex scene to your game?  Cool, it'll be rated an 18.

I don't think Rocket is averse to adding things that could potentially cause a shitstorm (hence suicide being added) and he seems to be one of the few game devs around that genuinely wants to try new things and push the boundries of what games can do.  Shitstorms can help sell a game and are nice for a bit of free advertising as GTA and a few other games have discovered in the past.

Having said that, adding things that could mean it would either delay or stop the release in multiple countries is a different thing altogether and wouldn't be too smart both from a business and a fanbase point of view.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

Sorry, posted before I read your response Fraggs. I still don't understand the whole child zombie thing being an issue though - in films they've portrayed child zombies on multiple occassions... Films are rated much like video games, and plenty of kids get exposure to R18 films and video games. Rating is more a guidance these days than a requirement.

Edited by mzltv

Sorry, posted before I read your response Fraggs. I still don't understand the whole child zombie thing being an issue though - in films they've portrayed child zombies on multiple occassions... Films are rated much like video games, and plenty of kids get exposure to R18 films and video games. Rating is more a guidance these days than a requirement.

I don't really understand it either tbh.  I guess some countries have laws that prohibit showing certain things in games (like kids being shot) and those laws are separate from the film laws.

I guess they are two different mediums though.  Films are passive, you just watch them and games are something you actively take part in.

• Like 2

how-you-picture-yourself-in-a-zombie-apo

I'm sorry, man, but chances are only a few people on these forums would probably survive if a real zombie apocalypse broke out.  Tbh as much as I'd like to think I could survive it, luck would play the biggest role in whether or not I did.

• Like 2