-Se7eN-

DayZ 1.7.8 "Choose Spawn", Thoughts?

You cant choose your last spawn. Its part of the limits

Yes but think about this situation. I'm playing my character, which last time I logged off was at the forest south to berezino. So I log in without being a freshspawn, I have an encounter at berezino with lets say a hostile player, I die. Then I am able to choose the berezino spawn point as a new spawn (and take revenge, loot my corpse), since (I guess) the spawn limit only applies to new spawns. So it's still exploitable, it's just not exploitable for new spawns. If I have misunderstood something please correct me.

I can almost visualize a new playing pattern. You spawn at spawn point A, move to spawn point B, play completely recklessly (thus defeating dayz purpose/goal) die, select spawn point B as new spawn, spawn, loot corpse/take revenge, move to spawn point C, die there too, select spawn point C, and it goes on like this. This way you'll always be able to spawn instantly to the place you died.

In a few words, it's still exploitable for already spawned players logged off somewhere. If they die close to one of the spawn points they can instantly get back to their corpse. And through the above playing pattern its also exploitable for newspawns (just involves moving from one spawn point to another).

Oh and also expect this system to nerf infection bigtime. Every single player once infected will just run near a spawn point, find a secluded place, commit suicide via zombies, choose said spawn point as a new spawn point, and wham, in one minute, next to their corpse, all their gear, no infection.

Edited by h3l1x
  • Like 1

No sir I don't like it. Makes it far too easy to loot your corpse. Far to easy for clan members to get back to the fight. Its a step towards battlefield and away from dayz I think.

Oh dang, I was out in the boonies without internet and I completely missed this... and everything else. On the one hand I like the convenience of choosing to spawn in Elektro or Cherno.

But on the other hand I don't like how everyone will most likely be spawning in Elektro or Cherno.

I'm not sure it's the best idea... hmm.

http://puu.sh/44PAn.jpg

There was a mod (can't remember which) where you spawn by being parachuted out of a plane....

Mix this with location choice (or randomness with no location text).

How about spawning from a random car crash which would explain your loss of memory (how did I get here again?)

btw, where did "1.7.7.8" come from? 

Wouldn't this be 1.7.7.2?

I guess it could be 1.7.8.

Yea typo

Is it just me or is everyone misunderstanding how the spawn system would work and just freaking out because you can choose your spawn? If you die in an area you CANNOT choose to spawn there or any neighboring spawn points for a set amount of time. No number of suicides will change this. There would also be a timer(server admin adjustable) to prevent multiple people from being able to spawn in the same area so if you want to spawn in cherno and someone else just did you must wait x amount of time before you can do so.

If that is how the system would work and it is my understanding, that is the case. The only problem I see here is the obvious being able to choose your spawn at all for the nay sayers, but for everyone else this at least sounds like a pretty well thought out system.

You cant please everyone. 

44PAn.jpg

Here is an image map of the spawns. The colored dot are the spawn points. The system will pick one of these dots to spawn you at.

http://puu.sh/44PAn.jpg

Yea typo

You cant please everyone. 

44PAn.jpg

Here is an image map of the spawns. The colored dot are the spawn points. The system will pick one of these dots to spawn you at.

Spawns on Skalisty Island?

How could you..

• Like 2

I can see the concerns of others regarding an easily exploitable return-to-corpse mechanism, though it is only of any real advantage if players hang around specific areas of the south coast in a set order.

I'm not so sure about those Skalisty spawns, which may be a bit tough for many and become the new home of the Kamenka suicide cult.  Not only is it quite a swim to the mainland, it would be the ruination of a certain vehicle spawn located there.

Oh and an absolute turkey shoot for bambi killers.

I'm not a fan of choosing your spawn point.

What about move the spawn points North and West of the map for a change?

JhkuDJP.jpg

Only thing is that there are two airfields more near so airfield loot spawn might need some tweaking.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Even with the new spawn system it looks like the deathmatch cities are there to stay, and possibly worse than before ? 

Some more randomness would be nice, and not spawning within 30 seconds of a shop or lootable area would be nicer.

1zfmydh.jpg

• Like 2

We would still like to give the spawn system a try see how well it plays out in a full game with the limits. Admins will be able to control turning the system on or off at any time.

All sorts of bleh on this. People want to play in groups... that's a good thing, you washed up on the beach together etc, it makes sense at least. Picking your spawn just seems out of line though. Maybe if you begin the spawning process at or very near the same time as other players on a hive you don't have characters on already it spawns you together? Only groups of players starting new characters together on the same server would actually spawn next to each other, giving groups that benefit while still punishing death in a group just as harshly as a lone player.

We would still like to give the spawn system a try see how well it plays out in a full game with the limits. Admins will be able to control turning the system on or off at any time.

For sure , you got to give it a crack and see how it pans out :) 

• Like 1

Yeah man you can't gripe about it too much until you try it for a week. I think they are doing fine. Just keep me safe :D

i personally am not keen on it, i feel everyone will pick the good spawns instead of actually surviving with what their given :/ but thats my 2 cents worth as i prefer the randomness

Have you played DayZ in ArmA 3? Spawning away from the cities (in the middle of a random forest) is exactly what Rocket needs to do to get that "Disorientation" feeling he keeps preaching about.

Agree with you on the epoch server I play on you are spawned inland from the coast it seems by about a km which gives you that disorientated feeling as you can't orientate yourself using the coast line.

• Like 1

Edit : Oh, and add female ghilli suits / hero skin / camo to the game. Come on, we can add razor blades and toilet paper to the game but not female clothing? Seriously?

Yes it's high time these were implemented - I suppose the percentage of female players on DayZ doesn't justify the work right now (although they could simply give female players the regular ghillie suit, you can't really tell who is under there after all) or we have mysogynists working on the mod.

As for the spawn points, it never takes more than 20 minutes to hook up with your friends if you've been playing for any length of time. I guess if I die it gives me a quicker option to get back to my body - though I'm sure we'd want to keep away from that mechanic.

Thing is, the mod came out and it had attributes to it. One of these is spawning randomly on the coast and that works, it's not buggy so why now the need to change it? That dev time could have gone into - more options for female players rather than fixing something that isn't broken.

Perhaps the majority of players just can't wait to get back into the PVP action, in that case why not just cut out cherno and electro into a new minimap and give them that instead?

I like the current totally random spawn. You aren't really dead if you can recover easily your stuff you just lost or so...

Spawn locations attract bandits? Players who kill just spawned guys (without weapons) should get instantly the bandit skin, in my opinion.

Edited by BrutoDetestsSB

So how about letting server admins decide ? ie mission side option to enable disable spawn selection?

I am against this due to many different reasons with the hive but yea other community devs feel it would help if we allow admins to decide. Whats your thoughts

I think at the end of the day it makes no difference what other community devs think or want, you will do as you pleased as usual. 

• Like 1

I don't like it one bit.

Me neither. The way I see it this just encourages looting your own body when you die. So much for permadeath. :S

Or the same 12 people can repeatedly spawn at elektro and kill each other endlessly and make the place hell for anyone trying to be approachable

This is better then killing yourself on purpose at spawn over and over to spawn right where you want. It would only make it easier for people that want to group up or get better spawn without spending some time killing ur self over.

If you want to avoid PVP on busy spawn. Just don't spawn there. It's already filled with bambi snipers.

And if i want to respawn where i want i would just walk up to a zombie and kill myself until i respawn there.

Edited by monoking

This is better then killing yourself on purpose at spawn over and over to spawn right where you want. It would only make it easier for people that want to group up or get better spawn without spending some time killing ur self over.

If you want to avoid PVP on busy spawn. Just don't spawn there. It's already filled with bambi snipers.

Or you could just work with what you're given like a normal person. :S

I have mixed feelings about this. It is true that many of us don't have all night to run 70km to get to their mates and then play together. However on the way you can get tooled up I suppose.

I don't understand the mentality of trying to cheat, trying every little thing to spawn somewhere 'good' and do PVP? I really relish spawning somewhere remote, I've learnt which barns to run to and what route to take to get tooled up. I think it is going to take forever on the mod and the SA to balance a lot of things. I don't mind spawning somewhere remote if a zom doesn't give me the virus within seconds and if every single time I get to a deer stand it isn't empty or just full of nails and wet playing cards.  I feel bad in a way when I get back to my corpse. It's not like that took a great deal of work, surely my corpse and it's loot belongs to who killed me. Or sometimes to your other party members?

It's really about time they added this. People don't have to waste their time killing themselves endlessly to get the general spawn location they want and it's easier to group with friends (but not too easy).