JokeJosh

Molotov cocktails

Empty whiskey bottles are USELESS in my opinion. >:(  So I think we should be able to use a jerry can to fill 5 empty whiskey bottles with gasoline and have some sort of cloth, then BAM, you got yourself a molotov. And to light it, you need a box of matches! It would be extremely useful because it would be much easier to obtain these molotovs then grenades. Plus it would be cool to light one up at night with a bunch of burning zombies..  :)

• Like 1

Not a bad first post, but not a good idea.

-For fire, you need fire mechanics. These are hard.

-Easily-gotten grenades are never a good thing.

-Whiskey bottles aren't useless. Ever tried throwing one?

Just imagine that, Seeing some Ghilled guy on electro hill chucking in a Molotov hahaha man i would be the bambi in the supermarket burning

Well here are my thoughts..

Pros:

-Another option for a thrown object
-deadly against zombies

-can be used against other players, but not as severe as the grenade

-allows another use of jerry cans

-another use for whiskey bottles and matches

-good for destroying vehicles

-the explode on impact 

-clear rooms

and im sure theres more

cons:

-could be annoying being on the other end of the molotov (then again what isnt?)

-the need for fire mechanics (but it doesnt have to look nice, it could look like a crashed helicopter)

-could probably miss throw and burn yourself.. haha

-laggy

-maybe hard to put in game.

im sure theres more to but i cant think of any.

Its an ok idea but it doesnt really "fit" in with DayZ.

Well i think we should half useless garbage around.

like empty bottles and what not.

You still would. There would just be another use for them

I don't see how it doesn't "fit." I can see it having problems with the current engine, but I think it's a well thought out idea for the Standalone compared to most first posts. 

• Like 4

Well here are my thoughts..

Pros:

-Another option for a thrown object

-deadly against zombies

I would disagree.  While yes it would eventually kill the zombie/player, it would not be instant, and now you've got an angry zombie on fire who MIGHT not be feeling the pain (not 100% sure on that for our zombies) chasing after you at full speed.

-can be used against other players, but not as severe as the grenade

actually, it would probably be WORSE than a grenade, unless someone has nerves of steel they'll probably be freaking out and trying to put themselves out, giving time for the thrower to empty a clip into the throwie (you might survive the fire but you probably wish you didn't)  the only thing would be the effective range (lets just say 3') would be less than a gernade.  Another thing is that Rocket doesn't want to 'force' players to do things automatically, which is why things like 'insanity' or 'shell shock' are pretty much considered never gonna happen.

-allows another use of jerry cans

-another use for whiskey bottles and matches

I'm still waiting to be able to use whisky bottles for water canteens

-good for destroying vehicles

​The Original Anti Tank weapon

-the explode on impact 

not so much explode as spread

-clear rooms

and destroy any loot it comes in contact with, as well as set the building on fire

and im sure theres more

cons:

-could be annoying being on the other end of the molotov (then again what isnt?)

-the need for fire mechanics (but it doesnt have to look nice, it could look like a crashed helicopter)

-could probably miss throw and burn yourself.. haha

-laggy

-maybe hard to put in game.

im sure theres more to but i cant think of any.

Edited by BigMike

Just imagine that, Seeing some Ghilled guy on electro hill chucking in a Molotov hahaha man i would be the bambi in the supermarket burning

It's a misconception that molotov cocktails cause some big ridiculous inferno that covers a large area. A gasoline filled molotov would only burn over enough ground to engulf 1-2 people at the most. The larger threat comes from the spreading of it as it burns flammable things in it's proximity.

It's really unlikely that someone would be able to hit you with one from such a distance.

It's a misconception that molotov cocktails cause some big ridiculous inferno that covers a large area. A gasoline filled molotov would only burn over enough ground to engulf 1-2 people at the most. The larger threat comes from the spreading of it as it burns flammable things in it's proximity.

It's really unlikely that someone would be able to hit you with one from such a distance.

You can throw a Molotov about 50m with pretty good aim depending on the bottle. I've messed around with some buddies quite a few times when I was younger. Unless you score a direct hit or the gasoline splashes a little bit, your target won't be burnt much at all. It's the rough equivalent of being able to run your finger over a candle really quickly if they don't get gas on them. Soft objects, such as humans, usually aren't enough to crack the bottle, thus they aren't really effective verse humans at all. As per vehicles though, the gas gets in all of the cracks. 

There was this one anime movie (forget the name of it, had something to do with wolves) Where this resistance group was passing around wine bottles filled with napalm and with a piece of phosphorus (or some other such substance that reacts violently with air) inside, no rag to light, can actually use the neck as a throwing handle for more distance.  This wasn't just a Budweiser bottle with some turpentine and a rag in it.

Soft objects, such as humans, usually aren't enough to crack the bottle, thus they aren't really effective verse humans at all.

This is something everyone should keep in mind... I expect there would be a ton of people complaining "molotovs aren't effective". There's no reason molotovs shouldn't be added if it was possible. I expect it would take a lot of work, that's probably why there aren't that many molotov scripts for ArmA.

I think these would be most useful for:

attracting zombies

creating signal fires

destroying people's vehicles when left unguarded

• Like 2

Are you saying molotov cocktails dont fit into DayZ ? are you f**king kidding mee ?

They are pretty much the only item I have wanted to see in game since I started playing it may last year ! 

• Like 2

Empty whiskey bottles are USELESS in my opinion. > :(  So I think we should be able to use a jerry can to fill 5 empty whiskey bottles with gasoline and have some sort of cloth, then BAM, you got yourself a molotov. And to light it, you need a box of matches! It would be extremely useful because it would be much easier to obtain these molotovs then grenades. Plus it would be cool to light one up at night with a bunch of burning zombies..  :)

Seems like a good idea, simple yet effective, recipe requires Empty whiskey bottle, hankerchief, Lighter, petrol can.

• Like 1

Imagine being in a ghille suit having a Molotov thrown on you, you'd be VERY, VERY FLAMMABLE

I just need a blank firing gun and some star shells in that case...

While such a weapon would be useful in some occasions i doubt many will be made if you have to either choose between more mileage for your vehicle or 10 bottles of molotovs...and you also need some motor oil for that stuff.

I think these would be most useful for:

attracting zombies

creating signal fires

destroying people's vehicles when left unguarded

Never thought of it attracting zombies, thats a great idea. That would be soo useful to get zombies off your back

• Like 1

Then some dumbass does this.

Overall In support of this idea! TORCH THE HEROES!

Edited by LancerG2
  • Like 2