Frell

New player, why is side chat enabled?

At first I thought it was a neat Idea and then I quickly became annoyed.

"Who is in that heli at stary"

"who is shooting at cherno"

"anyone wanna team up in electro"

"did you watch the walking dead last sunday"

"anyone watch game of thrones?"

Not to mention the little kids all over the mic. "Kid just stop talking" "I already told you man aint gunna happen I can talk if I want"

It feels more like a GTA ffa match than a survival game. What happened to all the youtube videos I saw where players first met their ingame friends in standoffs 90% of the time? What happened to yelling "who's there" over the mic or "don't shoot im friendly just passing through" to a sniper

I just think this was a bad decision overall and has taken DayZ out of its prime. It feels like a nerf was put on everything because of it. Takes you out of that world.

"If it bothers you then ignore side chat" That doesn't change anything, I know other people are communicating with it and you're at a disadvantage ignoring it.

Just my 0.02

• Like 3

Some find its more sociable with it on. If you hate it so much either find a server where its disabled or one with rules that govern its use and admins who actually enforce these rules.

• Like 1

Some find its more sociable with it on. If you hate it so much either find a server where its disabled or one with rules that govern its use and admins who actually enforce these rules.

have to agree, i play one one Public vanilla server and one Private server, using the side chat is frowned upon in both and rarely used by anyone.

While I don't have a problem with text in side chat, I think it should be a client side option to turn it off. Like von.

I use side channel text to get a team going and give them my TeamSpeak address if server doesn’t have one.

only way if too far away for Direct channel.

Zeds will hear you if you just press the button on Direct Channel dont have to say anything..lol

PS.: If VON annoys you... you can always mute ppl. Just press P, select their name and "mute".

Edited by Reddogg1

People somehow got used to the side chat, I wonder how the game will be in SA which won't have any sort of sidechat (besides the radios). We will probably feel really lonely, then the game will start to feel much more like survival. Depressiv, sometimes boring but also much more scary.

Edited by Wayze
  • Like 1

I remember day z without side chat and it was a much nicer game :)

We recently disabled it on our servers for a short period and personally I felt it added to the game and reduced player issues.

Side Chat is Actually An Amazing Thing When Used/moderated Right.

Its great for Care Bare's to be able to Team up and Be Hero's together, Also Good For Social interaction While playing, If your Playing on a Server Where People talk on Side Chat, Simply Turn off "VON" In your Settings, So then when people Use Mic's in Side you cant Hear them.

And if Your Playing on server's Where People Saying Locations Over side chat is a Regular occurrence, Search for server's that Have Rules Against People Doing that,

Side Chat is Actually An Amazing Thing When Used/moderated Right.

Its great for Care Bare's to be able to Team up and Be Hero's together, Also Good For Social interaction While playing, If your Playing on a Server Where People talk on Side Chat, Simply Turn off "VON" In your Settings, So then when people Use Mic's in Side you cant Hear them.

And if Your Playing on server's Where People Saying Locations Over side chat is a Regular occurrence, Search for server's that Have Rules Against People Doing that,

I think the side chat is bringing in almost scripted stuff. You tell someone you want to team up and meet. If there were no side chat you would acrtually team up with somebody in a dynamic situation. Maybe you save someone by killing zombies, or a bandit. Maybe you meet someone and you almost shoot each other. Maybe you meet someone without weapons, etc.

It is much more authentic and indepth if you actually get a friend by accident, then by planing it.

Also it will change the gameplay, because 1. it will be harder to survive and 2. you cant team up with someone easily, you will maybe think twice before murdering someone.

Edited by Wayze
  • Like 1

Side chat is something Rocket (the dev) didn't want enabled for DayZ. But as admins get more control and are at the mercy of their players, more servers enabled side-chat. There are servers out there that don't have it enabled, but unfortunately, it doesn't say it in the browser, so you just have to go in to find out.

I know I use it in our server to find patients that need help, but I never use it to "team up" or anything. For me, giving away your position on side-chat is sentencing you to death. I'll usually just ignore any chatter over text, and people that use voice over side chat on our server get kicked asap.

I agree with OP. :beans:

Sidechat is not belong in dayz. If you want social talking go to some pub or in your friend house. >:(

Is always stupid people who talk in side chat. Always bullshit about why you killed me or who is in the town?

When I am play dayz I don't care if you find a wheel in berezino. I don't give fucks if you need a ride from kaminka.

Good news is they turn it off for ever in standalone so what will these chatty guys be doing????

I don't give fuck B)

Edited by KoS
  • Like 3

KoS you're a smooth talking mofo.

Players chat shit on side chat cos its there. Lose side chat and I won't mind but Tbh the servers I play on have strong community and side chat becomes almost an extension of the forums.

Any tactical chat/medic requests etc are usually handled over TS.

Edited by bigdogsco
  • Like 1

KoS you're a smooth talking mofo.

my girl is say the same B)

• Like 1

I typically play a lot more of Breaking Point than I do of Vanilla DayZ, which not very many people tend to use VON over side channel, only in emergencies, and then quickly get told to shut up by at least 5 people. Text over side chat I don't mind, but that is in my casual non recorded gameplay. I play a server on vanilla DayZ which has side chat enabled and everybody and their mom uses it. But this server is more set towards a TDM style than basic Day Z.

People somehow got used to the side chat, I wonder how the game will be in SA which won't have any sort of sidechat (besides the radios). We will probably feel really lonely, then the game will start to feel much more like survival. Depressiv, sometimes boring but also much more scary.

Beans for you. The main thing why I love the communication system in SA is because people have to work to communicate with other survivors. In a real apocalypse people would.do everything to get contact with the remaining humans and I'm glad that there is no 'free' global communication in SA.

I hate side chat, it's disabled on our server. http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/143226-apocalypse-simulations-epoch-event-this-saturday/

I've found having it disabled helps the immersion, and also makes people actually talk properly to each other at the trade posts etc. TS get's used far more, people feel they get to know each other better.

Side chat (in my opinion) is used more for bitching, whining and trolling than it is for anything useful.