CoolCain10

I don't understand...

I don't understand KOS (I don't hate it but I don't understand why you do it.)

I understand that many of you go KOS because you're killed/betrayed by others but how does that make you go KOS every-body you meet? I've had this for almost a year game for almost a year now and been betrayed numerous times but I haven't gone to do that.

I've tried KOS but I didn't see the fun in it, if somebody could please explain what's fun in it because if I want to kill people I will go play wasteland as a independent.

(This isn't a rage, I just want to know what's fun about KOSing)

It is one of the safest, one of the easiest, and one of the most 'rewarding' playstyle.

• Like 2

It is one of the safest, one of the easiest, and one of the most 'rewarding' playstyle.

Ah I see, so there's not much fun about it.

If you get betrayed enough you learn that 9/10 of the times, not shooting on sight will earn you a death. Sadly, that's just how it works, can't do much about it.

• Like 1

I think a lot of players will KoS if they see a bandit with an AS50... That's my reason

(Not that you can get an AS50 anymore, but you get the point)

I've tried KOS but I didn't see the fun in it, if somebody could please explain what's fun in it because if I want to kill people I will go play wasteland as a independent.

Not the same, everyone respawns and gears up in a couple minutes.

First, what am I supposed to do apart from kill people? I'm not exactly a team player, I rarely use a mic and I don't do role-play either. Second, I like killing people.

wrXK9NZ.gif

While betrayal and safety play a big part, it's also due to the dearth of cooperative elements and end-game objectives in the game. Sadly, once a player overcomes the learning curve within their first few weeks and learns how to deal with zombies efficiently, the only thing left to do is kill others. If there was a common objective in the game that could be reached quicker through cooperation, people may stop killing on sight. Most people want instant gratification and reward in DayZ. Killing others to acquire their loot is the primary form of this.

• Like 1

I just don't KOS, I try to hide and talk with others.It adds a bright new dimension to the game and some time scare the other player.

While betrayal and safety play a big part, it's also due to the dearth of cooperative elements and end-game objectives in the game. Sadly, once a player overcomes the learning curve within their first few weeks and learns how to deal with zombies efficiently, the only thing left to do is kill others. If there was a common objective in the game that could be reached quicker through cooperation, people may stop killing on sight. Most people want instant gratification and reward in DayZ. Killing others to acquire their loot is the primary form of this.

There doesn't need to be a main goal there already is one Survival by any means possible, the latest patch has bumped it even further, as for the only thing to do is kill others then that's the story you write in the game, me in 300 odd hours have never killed anyone yet, and i don't intend on changing that.

The game is open ended we write our own story whenever we play, that's what seperates this game from every other run of the mill story driven boring game out there.

Edited by Crazy one
  • Like 3

It's kill or be killed :( sucks but that's how it is.

In the early days i was betrayed so many times, I ran around with one guy for an hour once until he decided to shoot me.

For me there is only KoS.

I try to explain why so you can understand. B)

In this game every player makes a big investment. They run a long time from the beach, they check every building, they kill many zeds and run a long time more.

The life they made for their character has value equal to the effort made, when I see a player I don't think, I don't hesitate, I focus 100% on taking that value away from them, the reward I feel from killing a player is equal to the investment they made and the value of their character to them.

If they ran from Kimenka through the runway to the cities, playing very careful not to die and then they hear a shot and I killed them they will rage, sometimes if I am lucky they rage through direct chat and I get to enjoy the full glory of their pain but if they say nothing I can sense the butthurt and that is enough for me to be happy. The best is when they quit the server, I know they are feeling very bad and that is making me feel very good :D

It satisfies like no other game, I kos in Cod and Bf etc but nobody really minds to die because in 10 seconds they are back full gear. In dayz when you die you lost everything.

This is why I will always kill every player on sight that doesn't kill me. It gives me great pleasure and I play games for pleasure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by KoS

Personally, I think it boils down to a lack of imagination. This is not a linear game with missions or pre-determined plot development.

To understand the appeal of KOS is to have played the game literally to death, and to have seemingly exhausted all goals one could possibly set for themselves, either as a solo survivor or as part of a group. Some players choose to KOS from day one, others with the best intentions are betrayed & feel vulnerable instigating contact after a few encounters go pear-shaped. Could be killed just for your pasta in the latest patch, or that slim chance you're carrying rare meds. Perhaps the killers only play spasmodically, and aren't keen on the slower-paced (time consuming) repairing of vehicles, finding heli-crashes in the north, hunting animals & building camps, so they pack those few hours with as much action as they can muster.

At the end of the day, you can never have an all-encompassing 'reason' for KOS because everyone has different MO's leading to their fun/10 rating.

Having the biggest cities right on the coast (where you spawn) is probably a factor as well, I hardly see anyone up north anymore. With so many private hive servers & extra barracks/fire-stations everywhere, KOS seems to be the no-brainer playstyle - it's clear to me that a lot of the current player base has had enough of running simulator 2013.

For me there is only KoS.

I try to explain why so you can understand. B)

In this game every player makes a big investment. They run a long time from the beach, they check every building, they kill many zeds and run a long time more.

The life they made for their character has value equal to the effort made, when I see a player I don't think, I don't hesitate, I focus 100% on taking that value away from them, the reward I feel from killing a player is equal to the investment they made and the value of their character to them.

If they ran from Kimenka through the runway to the cities, playing very careful not to die and then they hear a shot and I killed them they will rage, sometimes if I am lucky they rage through direct chat and I get to enjoy the full glory of their pain but if they say nothing I can sense the butthurt and that is enough for me to be happy. The best is when they quit the server, I know they are feeling very bad and that is making me feel very good :D

It satisfies like no other game, I kos in Cod and Bf etc but nobody really minds to die because in 10 seconds they are back full gear. In dayz when you die you lost everything.

This is why I will always kill every player on sight that doesn't kill me. It gives me great pleasure and I play games for pleasure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You act like this because your parents didn't give you enough attention as a kid. Sad.

You act like this because your parents didn't give you enough attention as a kid. Sad.

my parents were very nice thankyou. My mum was a bar manager for 13 years but was killed in a fire. I knew her though for 3 years but I don't remember so much. :(

My dad is unemployed but he is very busy with making model planes and watching athletics. He took me for my first beer when I was 14 and always shared his Chinese food when he came home frum the pubs. He made me go to school and made me good at fighting. I had very nice parents thankyou. :P

• Like 1

So, you have concluded that because one decides to kill other players, one's parents did not provide one with enough attention as a child?

I find your comment here rather...

Sad.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 3

At the end of the day, you can never have an all-encompassing 'reason' for KOS because everyone has different MO's leading to their fun/10 rating.

there is a reason. as many others in this thread have stated, it is without a doubt the absolute safest way to play.

by not taking a gamble on whether strangers are friend or foe you lengthen your life exponentially

Edited by Skinwalker

Hello there

To quote a really annoying meerkat...

it's....

simples

Easy reward with less risk

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok

It's only safe because the problem feeds itself

If there was no KoS then there would no reason to KoS.

But ego and the troll are in the mix so Utopia we shall not ever see.

Half the players unhappy with KoS will kill themselves (not themselves but yeknow) out of fear/paranoia.

They expect the rest of Chernarus to change without altering their own behavior.

Its also lazy/efficient (?) in that it saves them time, they don't have to find whatever they need themselves and spend all that time being vulnerable looting.

A lot of people ITT are talking about how "easy" it is to bandit, how safe and simple it is.

I can assure you, it is anything but easy or simple.

Even if someone uses a low-pop server or other means to gear up somehow, they're putting in a fairly large amount of effort to gather items, find those tents, gear up, etc. Even on a "safe" server, do you have any idea how long it takes to farm NWAF or Stary Sobor for decent loot?* Not to mention time spent positioning themselves for sniping or hunting down unwary survivors -- which isn't always easy, depending on what server you're on or what city you're in. While wearing a bandit skin, even the lowliest new spawns will attempt to kill you if they can. And what does a bandit get for his time if he kills some coastal cuties? A bandage and some flares? That's hardly the "easy" road in acquiring gear. The only way to get really good gear is to hunt other bandits or competent survivors... and bandits rarely trust other bandits, so it can be quite a challenge to get that "easy" gear. And if we manage to find some decent gear on a survivor, then it's because that person has done well but has made a fatal, stupid mistake that revealed them to us.

I'd say that bandits are just as good at the game and put as much effort into it as someone who takes a more "glorious" route in becoming a hero or teaming up with fellow survivors. I'm not the greatest bandit around, but I can tell you that I definitely put a good amount of effort into it. And it's certainly not easy being the most hunted people in the game.

The short answer here is that DayZ fucks us all. It makes no distinctions between hero, bandit, survivor, etc. The minute we spawn on that coast, we have a giant clock ticking over our heads, and every step we take brings us closer to death. That's sort of the point of the game -- after all... it wouldn't be fun if we didn't die, right? Part of the challenge is learning how to become a better survivor and learning how to overcome the obstacles that the end of the world throws at you.

Bandits simply choose to embrace that lesson and share it with others.

*Just for the record, I'm not a fan of server-hopping just to gear up. I like the threat of death and I like subjecting myself to the terror that every move I make might be watched. And adjusted for windage.

• Like 1

there is a reason. as many others in this thread have stated, it is without a doubt the absolute safest way to play.

by not taking a gamble on whether strangers are friend or foe you lengthen your life exponentially

Yes, that is a reason, but it's not THE reason. You're generalising.

The "safest" way to play may be to hide in a bush up north with a knife and matches, only coming out to plug a fresh goat & see nobody. I personally wouldn't play like that though because it's boring as bat-shit. Equally boring to me is the other extreme, where everyone just shoots everyone because "if he's dead, that means I'm alive!" Sounds mind-numbing.

Different people KOS for different reasons - gear & life expectancy may have nothing to do with it. There's an infinite spectrum of situations where killing players is not going to net you quick lewts, or increase the time you live.

Edited by Grunner

Some say it is safest way, others claim is easiest way. I say KoS is more enjoyable way. :D

For pure fun and to make lulz nothing in gaming that I found matches DayZ for PvP. :beans:

It is hard to make kill sometimes. Player moves and tries to hide, bullets are part of gravity so you must aim higher than CoD for hitting the head. B)

I don't understand those who don't understand KoS, if you never killed a guy then try it today, if you are afraid of getting shot then play on NoPvP server.

NoPvP is like the opposite of KoS it is a very sad thing that players are so afraid of the adrenalin of pvP that they make these servers to have carebear homes. :(

I love to SHATTER the serenity by slaughtering these carebears where they stand and I get kick ban a lot of times already today.My biggest fear in life is to run out of No PvP servers to visit. :o

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

Some say it is safest way, others claim is easiest way. I say KoS is more enjoyable way. :D

For pure fun and to make lulz nothing in gaming that I found matches DayZ for PvP. :beans:

It is hard to make kill sometimes. Player moves and tries to hide, bullets are part of gravity so you must aim higher than CoD for hitting the head. B)

I don't understand those who don't understand KoS, if you never killed a guy then try it today, if you are afraid of getting shot then play on NoPvP server.

NoPvP is like the opposite of KoS it is a very sad thing that players are so afraid of the adrenalin of pvP that they make these servers to have carebear homes. :(

I love to SHATTER the serenity by slaughtering these carebears where they stand and I get kick ban a lot of times already today.My biggest fear in life is to run out of No PvP servers to visit. :o

You are such a character!

So, you have concluded that because one decides to kill other players, one's parents did not provide one with enough attention as a child?

I find your comment here rather...

Hey, someone has to fight the good fight. Like good ol' America.