SmashT

Rezzed - June 2013 - Developer Session

Bases seem like a pretty great thing to "waste time" on to me.

The thing is that the game is permadeath and things like bases feels like permadeath killer to me if you can go in your base again that you build (with your friends) in your last life. The permadeath is gone if you can rely on something like this.

• Like 2

The thing is that the game is permadeath and things like bases feels like permadeath killer to me if you can go in your base again that you build (with your friends) in your last life. The permadeath is gone if you can rely on something like this.

Oh, you were being serious :huh:

Whilst you make a valid point, it also adds more variance to gameplay, promotes team work (building bases) and provides more of an incentive to explore (looking for bases). The same argument can be made for tents and stockpiling gear as it's been in the mod. Not that many people have been up in arms over that either tho. If someone decides to put the time and effort into constructing a base and protecting it, more power to them I say.. The more gameplay options the better I say!

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 4

Tents work the same way now, it's cheap, but a so far unavoidable drawback to having persistent servers. Content should not be limited by such constraints, especially when no effort has been taken to resolve the constraints in the first place.

There are ways of dampening the impact of persistent servers and fixed bases. One, being that they're easily raided. That, to me, is deterrent enough and makes it work. Two, could be some kind of maintenance requirement, otherwise the base would fall into disarray and you'd lose some or all of your stored gear. Three, could be limiting the availability of gear, so that one would be less likely to be able to store vast amounts of gear.

The issue is with persistent servers, on a finite map. Which is why I'd rather them allow players to fortify existing houses rather than going to create their own base.

• Like 7

All these complaints about the radios only for the 80's stations and similar, you don't even know if they are placeholders to show how they work, maybe they're not going to be inside the game and instead they're being replaced with in-character material as it's been said before. We're going to know more by the time we can have our hands over the SA or if Rocket say something more about it before the release, but until then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD6hyS8SWeQ

• Like 1

so where are the steam-punk elements in this game?!! did i miss something here?

xkCabVe.jpg

EDIT: Oh, eleMents?

Sorry.

what a glorious monument for the blue-collar town of Elektrozavodsk!

Do you think Dayz SA will just appear on Steam Early Access without an official announcement?

That is the plan right now, he wants to release without any fanfare.

To anyone who thinks the date is not set: It is set, but not revealed.

hmm... arma 2 is on sale on steam? could be BI trying to get those last few sales in before dayZ goes standalone, meaning dayZ SA may not be far away at all :D

hmm... arma 2 is on sale on steam? could be BI trying to get those last few sales in before dayZ goes standalone, meaning dayZ SA may not be far away at all :D

Hah, the same in december and march. Rocket CAN delay SA once again if it'd make sense.

Yeah makes sense.

+ I don't really understand the explanation why theyre not giving away the release date.

Rocket said because they at first wanted to give away keys in 50k bundles??

And what does that has to do with the reveal of the release date?

Am i missing something again?

Rocket said because they at first wanted to give away keys in 50k bundles??

And what does that has to do with the reveal of the release date?

Am i missing something again?

Well, the lower the number of folks who realise the SA is released, the easier Rocket and co.'s jobs are going to be.

If a release date's announced and folks have time to prepare for it, Day 1 will be chockablock with folks trying to play.

If they don't announce it at all, they're less likely to be inundated with players.

EDIT: That's not insider info. Just my take on things.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 5

I hate how he says: 'I guess the big question people have is when we're actually gonna get this out, aaaaand...' :huh: 'the period that we're...' :o 'We've set a date now, like a window of about a week' :D 'and, we're not not gonna say when that is' >:(

• Like 1

Well, the lower the number of folks who realise the SA is released, the easier Rocket and co.'s jobs are going to be.

If a release date's announced and folks have time to prepare for it, Day 1 will be chockablock with folks trying to play.

If they don't announce it at all, they're less likely to be inundated with players.

EDIT: That's not insider info. Just my take on things.

This, to me, is a very... weird... logic. Uh... they're going to release the game (Alpha) under the radar to prevent too many players from playing it?

Edited by Tilen

This, to me, is a very... weird... logic. Uh... they're going to release the game (Alpha) under the radar to prevent too many players from playing it?

It's an alpha.. The sole purpose of said title being that of finding and fixing bugs. The last thing Dean (or any of us) needs is an influx of kids complaining/raging about missing content, bugs,etc. It makes perfect sense. If it was up to me however, I would have stuck to the limited key release for this very reason. The whining and misinterpretation of what an alpha should actually be is inevitable. I'm dreading it tbh.

Edited by CapricornOne

Exactly. I would venture a guess that they have better measures of controlling such things. The notion of them doing things like this and leaving them to chance is just ridiculous.

i cant help but think Dean is over thinking what the ave. player of Dayz does in game, and how they play/live.

i really dont think anyone on ave. is gunna care about foot damage or infection/diesase cuz they will simply die n respawn into a fresh body at the slightest in convienence.

secondly i wonder if his primo-rare loot system will even work..

imagine for a minute, i lukily find the only uber rare gun-o-matic5000 for the planet. i promptly log out of that character.. now that item is basicly no longer even in the game..

does he plan to have the item removed from inactive players within a set time ? or does the item become available to respawn on another sever if the item/player logs out ?

but then what if that initial player logs back in, is the item deleted from their inventory ?

frankly i just dont see how this uber rare loot system can work... i like the idea of rare loot, but i just not sure a world economy model wont be abused within minutes...

So what you are saying...

If i find that Gun-o-Matic5000 and yes it is the only one on all the servers.

Then i log out and idk maybe i am working with the military of my country and they send me away for like 2 months.

Then i finally get home alive and well in the best case.

Only to find my character without his Gun-o-Matic5000 that i was lucky enough to find?

That would suck really bad. Like taking stuff from players that they found is bad. No matter how rare that item is.

On the other hand. I have my thoughts on those super rare and high military weapons,

they are not gonna be much use to small teams or single players. Since the Ammo will be Rare too.

So is that AS50 with 5 rounds worth keeping over your Lee Enfield with 5 Mags?

Perhaps if you run with a 5 to 6 man group and have assigned rules.

Such as Medic, Sniper, Spotter, Heavy Gunner and so on.

But as a lone player that Rare weapon will only get you killed.

Because there will be a sniper with a CZ550 lying somewhere,

he sees you and puts a pullet in your head as you are carrying that

AS50. If he sees you with the Lee Enfield the chances are that he might let you live.

Edited by NightmareGER
  • Like 2

Not really. Due to the nature of the internet, the moment a single person notices the release, the whole world will know about it. Honestly though, I don't think DayZ SA is going to be the huge success some think it's going to be, so I don't think the game population is going to be that big of a problem. The population of players during the alpha will really depend on the cost of the game.

Define "success".

Personally, I don't want -that- many people playing it. So, rocket's subterfuge on a release date, so-called "lowered hype", fed-up players telling their friends not to play, the price point, whatever... is all welcome to me.

Did anyone here buy ARMA 3? Surely you remember the cluster fuck that was, so I could see this game popping up and not a word being said about it...

anywho, check the last update time...

http://steamdb.info/app/221100/

P.S. I wish Rocket would charge a $100 for the Alpha... That would weed out a lot of the riff raff!

Edited by ApocalypseMaow
  • Like 1

P.S. I wish Rocket would charge a $100 for the Alpha... That would weed out a lot of the riff raff!

Yea, that worked real well for Planetary Annihilation. You think DayZ SA gets hate now, see what happens if the alpha costs $100...

Edited by Zero3ffect

So many spoiled children posting once again treating the Alpha as an actual game release and not otherwise.

I guess waiting truly is hard.

Edited by TiredMiner