SmashT

E3 Expo - June 2013 - Interviews and Gameplay

Lol. By the sounds of this thread there should only be about 200 of us playing the alpha when it is released.

Good times and loot for all.

I am not saying the alpha or pre alpha doesn't have its problems, but isn't that why we are all here - to get in at the ground floor and help out the Devs in identifying these problems. If people just want to play a finished product then surely the release version is for them?

• Like 6

On one hand I agree with him, on the other hand things like crashed helicopters really encouraged exploration.

I agree, things like heli-crash sites encourage the player to explore but they also seem a crude way of doing so. If the players have the tools required within the game to create interesting situations then I believe that situation will look after itself, and there's also going to be many more places of interest on the map, but it does heavily depend on what we're given. For me that's the strength of DayZ from a gameplay perspective, even with the VERY limited options available in the mod players never cease to be creative.

• Like 2

Somewhat disappointed with this though:

Can we expect "random events" upon initial release of the Standalone? (Downed helicopters, Abandoned campsites, etc.)?

We're really reluctant to do that kind of stuff, what I far prefer is to create the tools for players to do their own thing. I think those kind of events are much more compelling than anything that we can come up with. So if we do that, I kind of feel like we've lost a bit. If we can't build the tools for the players to create their own events, then I guess we'd have to step in. But I'd say we'd kind of failed.

I see this as a good thing, Scripted events such as heli crashes are the easy way out, i dont know what they have in mind for player created events but im sure looking forward to finding out, and as he said, if it doesnt work out then they can just do it the old way.

Lol. By the sounds of this thread there should only be about 200 of us playing the alpha when it is released.

I am not saying the alpha or pre alpha doesn't have its problems, but isn't that why we are all here - to get in at the ground floor and help out the Devs in identifying these problems. If people just want to play a finished product then surely the release version is for them?

Very good point. However progression wont happen if people do not criticise clear problems.

• Like 5

but isn't that why we are all here - to get in at the ground floor and help out the Devs in identifying these problems

And that's exactly what we're doing.

Very good point. However progression wont happen if people do not criticise clear problems.

Exactly, and the devs have asked for and expect critique. Just saying something's shit however is not critique and is not particularly helpful. Saying why you think something is shit is much more useful to the devs.

This thread and many others on other forums are full of criticism, nobody's shying away from it including the devs, it's constructive critique that will drive them forward.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

And that's exactly what we're doing.

some are more hysteric than others

It's not like the devs themselves stay civil all the time either, so what do you expect

Edited by Elo

It's for many reasons. The Zombie anims aren't synched up with their actual behaviours yet and that player anims are still being heavily worked on too. Only time will tell how much it's going to improve from what you've seen at E3.

As SmashT said earlier, my one major concern is that zeds will forever have a certain buggy feel in this engine but it's simply too early to judge yet. All we can say for sure is that it all needs a lot of work, luckily it will get that.

The "it's just an alpha" answer doesn't make me calm. Remember that it had to be released before Christmas, then it had to be released in March, now it has to be released THIS MONTH, but it's bugged as hell! I'm still keeping my opinion for the standalone at the moment, because I'm a realist and I believe only what I see.

i mean hysteric in terms of the actual status of the game. ppl had soo high expectations and this is just ridiculous for a pre-alpha version.. really. i too had/have these expectations but i listened to dean from time to time and it came to my mind that these expectations are far too high... so i can see it all a little bit more relaxed

The "it's just an alpha" answer doesn't make me calm. Remember that it had to be released before Christmas, then it had to be released in March, now it has to be released THIS MONTH, but it's bugged as hell! I'm still keeping my opinion for the standalone at the moment, because I'm a realist and I believe only what I see.

i'm sorry. what do you want to hear?!

what do you really honestly expect or demand from a game in its pre-alpha stage?

christmas date: dayz mod polished up --> delayed: WOW we have the chance to make a new engine to build basically an MMO architecture

since then only vague release-date feedback.

just wait for the release-version in idk 9 months, if you can't "handle" the drawbacks of an alpha or beta game. this is a real and honest suggestion.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 3

I wasn't attempting to keep you calm, I was just stating a fact, there's lot's of work to be done. Regarding release dates well that's been answered and discussed to hell and back. The December release date was literally for the mod to just be ported as it is to a new engine and polished up a bit. They have since moved on to a much bigger project, this was explained in the devblogs and has been discussed at length in many interviews by Dean. As for March there was never a release date set for March, just lot's of speculation from players.

Edited by Fraggle

And all these expressions like "we are working on it" or "we're doing that from scratch" really make me a bit disappointed. Even the mod zombies are better than the standalone ones IMHO. I'm still going to buy the standalone however it would be, but it really has something similar to War Z in it.

You can count me in! ;)

And all these expressions like "we are working on it" or "we're doing that from scratch" really make me a bit disappointed. Even the mod zombies are better than the standalone ones IMHO. I'm still going to buy the standalone however it would be, but it really has something similar to War Z in it.

Well, it's not want people want to hear but really only time will tell. It's very early days. We all (most of us) want to see it fulfill it's potential and all we can do at this point is cross our fingers and/or provide constructive critique of what we see.

Some don't believe Rocket or BIS are capable of it whilst others fully back them, again only time will tell. Either way, like it or loathe it, it's Rockets project and it's for him to succeed or fail. I'll judge him on the finished product, not a development build.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

It just seems to me like folk want to complain for the sake of complaining.

At this early stage any criticism is redundant. The "needs more work" list currently consists of one item; EVERYTHING.

• Like 3

Well, it's not want people want to hear but really only time will tell. It's very early days. We all (most of us) want to see it fulfill it's potential and all we can do at this point is cross our fingers and/or provide constructive critique of what we see.

Some don't believe Rocket or BIS are capable of it whilst others fully back them, again only time will tell. Either way, like it or loathe it, it's Rockets project and it's for him to succeed or fail. I'll judge him on the finished product, not a development build.

Sometimes it makes me think that the Dev team isn't capable to fix a bug or something like that, I mean, why not expand the team or look forward to another animation designer or game engineer? Why the textures and models are looking pretty good ATM, but the engine itself looks weird and bugged, you get what I mean?

in terms of zed-bugs it apparently seems as if there were no significant steps made further right at the moment..

Edited by joe_mcentire

Sometimes it makes me think that the Dev team isn't capable to fix a bug or something like that, I mean, why not expand the team or look forward to another animation designer or game engineer? Why the textures and models are looking pretty good ATM, but the engine itself looks weird and bugged, you get what I mean?

Okay this is where I strongly disagree. Some people, you included, think that making the standalone is just some walk in the park and that it shouldn't take more than 7, 8, 9 or however many months. You have the realize the entire game and map is being redone, and they don't have a very large dev team. Developing a game takes time. Especially when they don't have a large number of people working on it.

New gameplay here :

In this vid rocket says he read about the concerns about the character movements on reddit, and says it's all subject to change and they might have gone a bit too "arcady" with the new system.

quote : "it's something we've got to work with the community, get some feedback when the alpha's out"

Edited by Bat
  • Like 2

Looks awesome. Please Rocket make the screen clean, give not the option for crosshair.

Okay this is where I strongly disagree. Some people, you included, think that making the standalone is just some walk in the park and that it shouldn't take more than 7, 8, 9 or however many months. You have the realize the entire game and map is being redone, and they don't have a very large dev team. Developing a game takes time. Especially when they don't have a large number of people working on it.

BUT THEY SHOULDN'T have told us that it's going to be released before CHRISTMAS!

It was like "we should have a release before Christmas" Dean said, not port to a new engine! Obviously it takes time, but give us a release date like other games have, doesn't this look stupid at all? Be it 2014 or 2015, take a look at Black Mesa Source! It was developed for 5 or 6 years if not more, and see what have they done during all these years...

When it was to be released before Christmas, it was meant to be only the mod repackaged as a game. I, and anyone with any sense, should be glad they missed that date in favor of developing a real game. The entire project changed, that's what happened.

That's the only release date they've ever given. They never said anything about March, or even THIS MONTH.

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 1

When it was to be released before Christmas, it was meant to be only the mod repackaged as a game. I, and anyone with any sense, should be glad they missed that date in favor of developing a real game. The entire project changed, that's what happened.

That's the only release date they've ever given. They never said anything about March, or even THIS MONTH.

They said it, do some research on gamespot, IGN and so on. I'm out of this thread to prevent "release date wars".

They said it, do some research on gamespot, IGN and so on. I'm out of this thread to prevent "release date wars".

No. They did not. Those articles were speculating.

• Like 1

BUT THEY SHOULDN'T have told us that it's going to be released before CHRISTMAS!

VS it looks awesome now. Your choice. Thanks that you are out of this thread. beans for that.