SmashT

E3 Expo - June 2013 - Interviews and Gameplay

Im sorry but am I the only one who see's how bad this looks? As someone who has 1000's of hours on DayZ I have to say I will be sticking with the Arma 2 mod for the foreseeable future. The animations are horrible, the UI is ugly, the zombies are just stupid.

I totally agree with this guy, it does look bad, the zombies are the same as they are in the mod, except they are faster with a few added animations.

you could even see at one instance where the zombie actually went through a wall (a common thing in the mod), various times the animations didn't match the hit the player got, they also still stand and attack you even if you're out of reach and at a completely different direction.

the leap animation is also pathetic, and this is only talking about the zombies.

Everything looks fucking dull because of all the forced grayness, no one cares about your artistic perspective Dean, we don't care that you want to make the world in Dayz gray and sad, this looks forced, fake and adds nothing of value, it actually makes the game look worse.

battlefield 3 tried to do something of that fashion and it failed miserably resulting in a petition against it with tens of thousands of signers and the making of "hacks" that removed all the forced bloom and "effects" to make the world look more "green" and real-world like.

even with added animation this seems to me like the same old Dayz mod, with it's bugs and glitches, I can't help but notice that because they used the old arma 2.5 engine and not the arma 3 engine which is far superior, I played the mod of Dayz on the Arma 3 alpha, and to me that looked much better than what we have now.

I was previously hyped over Dayz but I stopped caring about it like 3-2 months ago and when I finally came here to see something new and promising I get this.

I'm quite disappointed.

the troll is strong in this one...

animations are refined, the ui actually WORKS and is FUNCTIONAL, and the zombies are less stupid than in the mod. also it is pre alpha.

and the crafting system is just awesome

by the way, i think i remember some zombie animations from a certain devblog:

fYjXrUv.jpg?1

i think i just found dean the zombie :D

idanno if your capable of doing this. but count out the number of months (on your fingers) that this game has been in development. and then sit there and think about it, and what you said real hard.

23jqt1f.jpg

Edited by Dimnzy
  • Like 1

I totally agree with this guy, it does look bad, the zombies are the same as they are in the mod, except they are faster with a few added animations.

you could even see at one instance where the zombie actually went through a wall (a common thing in the mod), various times the animations didn't match the hit the player got, they also still stand and attack you even if you're out of reach and at a completely different direction.

the leap animation is also pathetic, and this is only talking about the zombies.

Everything looks fucking dull because of all the forced grayness, no one cares about your artistic perspective Dean, we don't care that you want to make the world in Dayz gray and sad, this looks forced, fake and adds nothing of value, it actually makes the game look worse.

battlefield 3 tried to do something of that fashion and it failed miserably resulting in a petition against it with tens of thousands of signers and the making of "hacks" that removed all the forced bloom and "effects" to make the world look more "green" and real-world like.

even with added animation this seems to me like the same old Dayz mod, with it's bugs and glitches, I can't help but notice that because they used the old arma 2.5 engine and not the arma 3 engine which is far superior, I played the mod of Dayz on the Arma 3 alpha, and to me that looked much better than what we have now.

I was previously hyped over Dayz but I stopped caring about it like 3-2 months ago and when I finally came here to see something new and promising I get this.

I'm quite disappointed.

23jqt1f.jpg

cool story. bye. dont come back.

EDIT. btw SA has more color than dayz mod. so i really dont know what your going on about.

Edited by radrussian1
  • Like 2

Yes only approvers and yes sayers allowed in this forum.....

Well, it definitely looks like an alpha. Zombies jumping in the wrong direction or running through doors, unopenable doors, but, hey, guess that's what an alpha is for, right?

EDIT. btw SA has more color than dayz mod. so i really dont know what your going on about.

Yes, lets have a fucking circle-jerk, everything is perfect. critics are not welcome.

wait a second, I'm not on reddit so you can go ahead and shut the fuck up.

also you'd have to be blind if you're not seeing the difference between the standalone and the mod, in the mod if you're on full health, the colors are way more vibrant and it looks alot more colorful than what we have here in the standalone.

This picture from the PCWorld interview is gorgeous

0mn2xMv.jpg

Edited by Grief.exe
  • Like 13

Actually no.

If you have constructive criticism (which Dimnzy's post did) then by all means make your point.

I agree the zombies still need a lot of work, but in the Machinima vid Rocket acknowledges this. I think there are vast improvements over the mod but the game still needs work - hence it's Alpha status.

Jumping on the "It looks shit" bandwagon is just as impulsive as the "This is brilliant" one.

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 1

no its just cancerous to go "of this looks even worse than arma 2, they will never fix this". ill admit the animations look janky but when have animations looked good 6 months into development. also the zombies was clipping through the wall but these things arent easy to fix.

This picture from the PCWorld interview is gorgeous

Of course it is. That's the wonder of Photoshop!

• Like 1

the zombies was clipping through the wall but these things arent easy to fix.

well why do we still have this if this is a whole new game with a different engine?

how did this bug get transferred from the mod?

• Like 1

Yes, lets have a fucking circle-jerk, everything is perfect. critics are not welcome.

wait a second, I'm not on reddit so you can go ahead and shut the fuck up.

also you'd have to be blind if you're not seeing the difference between the standalone and the mod, in the mod if you're on full health, the colors are way more vibrant and it looks alot more colorful than what we have here in the standalone.

Theres a fine line between criticism and blatant insults. i would criticize but Ive never played that standalone. i dont do those things before i actually play a game. i dont know if the game is good or not. but im not gonna sit here and say that its garbage.

• Like 1

Theres a fine line between criticism and blatant insults. i would criticize but Ive never played that standalone. i dont do those things before i actually play a game. i dont know if the game is good or not. but im not gonna sit here and say that its garbage.

harsh criticism is still criticism, go ahead and reread my post and and tell me that wasn't criticism, I just wrote it like that because I was emotional and I cared about this game and hoped that it would be something good.

Edited by Dimnzy

23jqt1f.jpg

This ruined your criticism.
  • Like 12

well why do we still have this if this is a whole new game with a different engine?

The base is still RV3, there are still a lot of pieces of that engine present in the DayZ version.

There's more I'd have liked to see, but they seem to be giving us a look at a decent amount of new stuff.

RE: Animation. The transitions between animations were always going to suffer, because of the ability to interrupt actions, which isn't the way ArmA works.

I thought the animations themselves were really good.

You'd need something like Rockstar's Euphoria engine, to fill the gaps in animations. And that's just not on the cards.

harsh criticism is still criticism, go ahead and reread my post and and tell me that wasn't criticism, I just wrote it like that because I was emotional and I cared about this game and hoped that it would be something good.

All this aside, yes, I actually agree that atm it doesn't look great. But, if you're a true fan of DayZ and a loyal member of the community, you'll wait and see what Rocket throws our way.

The animations do look a bit WarZish, and very cheesy, but you know what? I'll be there with my squad on release... no matter what.

because it isnt a diferent engine? its the same engine. just different. just like how arma 3 is the same engine but different.

Nooooooo, why did they take out the A3 animations? I disappoint. :(

I like everything else though.

• Like 3

i think its pretty difficult to show someone the beauty of Dayz. specially in a 10 min. window.(hey check this game out and have zombies bugging out or some silly glitch happen)

it's something you have to get and experience yourself.

There are so many epic moments and situations you just can't capture in a demo.

Edited by methr1k2dop3

I really really hope that Dayz SA will have plenty of military gear, military grade weapons, combat boots, body armor etc. I don't want to play the game as some average joe turd in a polo shirt.

• Like 3

i stopped being jazzed for DayZ months ago, due to it being obvious it werent even close to alpha release as promised.

i firmly beleive this game missed its window, and this newest video makes me feel no different.

will it sell ok ? im sure it will...

but i dont think it will be the mega game we all thought it would be 8+months ago...

there are alot of games on the near horizon that give a similar level of atmosphere and survival horror.

Dayz simply doesnt have the play field to itself like it did before.

i'll still buy the game and im sure ill enjoy it, but im well past being ravenous for it, and if it doesnt come out before any of the other similar titles, ill just move on..whateva...

ps one thing i did notice (hopefully its changed for release) is exactly what i feared would happen when i heard of more enterable buildings.. theres simply so much/many loot places that people will be able to scav. basics in vitrualy no time at all..

wheres the searching time ??? were is the desperation ? weres the going hunting to find stuff.. so far everything seems like its early in the afternoon of the 1st day of the fukn Apoc. if every house has loot EVERYWERE...

BAH... bad idea is bad.

Edited by Siberian
  • Like 1

I really really hope that Dayz SA will have plenty of military gear, military grade weapons, combat boots, body armor etc. I don't want to play the game as some average joe turd in a polo shirt.

They are leaning away from the military weapons and more to what you would find on civilians.

There will still be military weapons, but they will be much less common.

ps one thing i did notice (hopefully its changed for release) is exactly what i feared would happen when i heard of more enterable buildings.. theres simply so much/many loot places that people will be able to scav. basics in vitrualy no time at all..

I don't think your assumption is correct.

There are many more loot location possibilities, but this in no way implies that there will be loot everywhere. Quite the contrary, Rocket has said that because of the many more loot locations the actual loot will be rarer. Perhaps some buildings will be empty, perhaps in one a CZ will be found on a table? The loot will be more spread out and thus harder to find.

What you are seeing on the videos is a dev build with loot jacked up so it can be tested. You will not find 2 jackets, 4 beans, an AK in every car wreck.

• Like 4