landfish

Things that kills realism

Well this is not a rant thread about wanting to remove something because its overpowered(still a rant) but rather a collection of opinion on what features of the mod is killing realism. I'm not talking about extreme mega ultra hardcore realism like perma-death but rather things that are just silly to have and do in a zombie apocalypse or just real life in general.

(Note: Some of this are probably gonna be fixed/ removed on the standalone but we are just talking about the mod as it currently is).

/Rant/

Here are somethings that really kills it for me:

-.50 cals

I know this is being fixed but really? Is it really possible for a civilian to use an extremely powerful weapon with extreme efficiency just to hunt unarmed people on the beach?._.

-Flyable helicopters

Same issues as a 50. cal, is everybody in Chernarus a pilot now?

-Unlimited stamina

Pretty much speaks for itself, in the mod, we can sprint like Usain Bolt for hours without tiring.

-Humanity system

Hurr durr, I killed someone, a towel and a baclava will automatically be put over my head so I will be an automatic target for anyone with a brain._.

-Blood bags

In the mod, I can find un-refrigerated blood bags, use it without facing risks of infections and boom, back to normal, I'm automatically healthy.

-Third person

Oh someone is shooting at me? Better use my astral projection power shit so I can see behind my physical body and be able to find my hunter easily without risks of being shot._.

-Lack of animals

I guessed most of them are abducted by aliens since most of them doesn't even leave a corpse behind.

-Lack of vehicles(not necessarily working ones)

This just means one thing, many people escaped the apocalypse with their vehicles, if that's the case, then why are there so many freaking infected people everywhere? I can imagine, the panic caused by the outbreak would create traffic jams everywhere especially in the cities.

-Cities are too safe

I know if shit hits the fan, the city will be the number 1 thing/hazard to stay away from, due to you know, its large population which the majority of is most likely infected? But the opposite seems to happen in DayZ. When spawned, most people automatically sprints towards the city to kill each other when in fact, the complete opposite would've happened in real life.

-No knock-back effects when shot

It doesn't automatically means, you die instantly when shot unless hit on a vital part like the head. But its just annoying to see survivors being shot yet only blood spurts seems to indicate that. Any guns with higher ammunition than a 9mm should be able to make you fall, first shot even if you're in the strongest body armor due to the impact.

-Lack of gore

Yup blood spurts, come on! real wounds/bulletshot are more brutal than that, especially high caliber guns. Not necessarily GodOfWar level of brutality. Something like VBS2 2.02 would be great(Been suggested on another thread and I'm really fond of it).

/Rant over/

I guess this is very demanding for some, but really, unrealistic things just don't fit into a game where you use the stars to navigate and has frequently been regarded as a "Zombie apocalypse simulator" or an anti-game.

• Like 5

Not sure if trolling or serious.. If serious, you obviously haven't heard of this concept called "Video Game".

• Like 7

Dude, you just need to chill a bit - it's only a game.

not sure if you guys realized it is supposed to be a "simulator". And dude, wait with the list till standalone ;)

• Like 1

Sometimes.. you need to include some unrealistic stuff to prevent other unrealistic stuff (bandit skins for example). If there weren't bandit skins, everyone would be a bandit. Realism? No.

I must admit the gore part is pretty hawt though.

Edited by Twixx

I know it's pedantic but using the term "realism" just doesn't work when discussing a game. I know it's based on a sim etc. etc. but I prefer "authentic". As in "is this feature authentic in terms of the fictional scenario they are trying to create?".

I know it's only a word but for me it muddies the argument and ends up with the same circular debate about realism such as bloodbags, sniper rifles etc.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

not sure if you guys realized it is supposed to be a "simulator". And dude, wait with the list till standalone ;)

Indeed, it is supposed to be a survival sim. The term Rocket throws around is actually 'anti-game'.

With a lot of these things, mainly the current med system, I like to think of them as representing something more realistic. For example bandaging represents dressing wounds, morphine represents splinting the leg and administering pain relief etc. etc.

Of course the mod isn't perfect and the devs are always striving to achieve a more realistic experience. I'm sure a lot of these issues will be 'fixed' further down the line, we're still quite early in development. :)

• Like 3

Things that kill realism...how about Zombies?

• Like 5

Exactly lol.

• Like 1

Rocket's had his brother (a virologist) write a detailed piece on the fictional 'infection' in DayZ. It's actually fairly plausable.

• Like 2

Rocket's had his brother (a virologist) write a detailed piece on the fictional 'infection' in DayZ. It's actually fairly plausable.

I agree, they are going to make the scenario/world as authentic as they can, including the way the infection will be interpreted.. Whether it's realistic or not is open to much more debate.

Edited by Fraggle

You forgot to mention being able to haul engines and rotor assemblies across the map. You also forgot to mention being able to repair helis and cars without going to school for years to learn how to do so. You also forgot to mention every other 'not real' aspect of the game that has been beaten to death. Poor horse. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

You forgot to mention being able to haul engines and rotor assemblies across the map.

U don't even lift.

• Like 9

hey i see some valuable arguments in OP. Not sure if realistic or just authentic but c'mon guys!? i don't see the list as a rant. I see things that could be improved over time by either the devs ot the community in later stages. So why not just focus on the list or bring some counterarguments why those points shouldn't be improved or fixed.

I personally like the list cause it raises indeed some "issues".

for example:

-stamina: (anti)game-wise it could be problematic not have only "limited" stamina. The world is huge. Most of the time (mod) you don't meet anyone or anything. i think it would be annoying as hell, only walking around knowing you wouldn't reach anyone/thing in next 10 min. now you have no stamina so make it 20 min. (highly exaggerated). So this point clearly depends on the given content of the SA. and this is something we actually don't know at this point in terms of "content". (how many ppl would/could really join a server? how many zeds? how many new places to discover? how many new animals?)

edit:

-humanity system:

was most likely introduced to "inhibit" KOS-behaviour. this was maybe a time where dean thought the game, or better the ppl do no longer "behave properly", as the game was "intedended to be played". i know there are some "s here and i know ppl screaming loud ..:"wahh but its meant to be played so and so" or even "blabla ...no special plan how you should play it". the humanity system in its form cries it out loud that there "should be rules" although dean always denied it. so it was a crippled mechnism the day it was introduced but i they were "ok" with it and most likely had - up to date - really and basically no other ideas yet how to handle this problem. i guess the community could help out in this very special issue.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

huh yeah the current backpack and weight system is absolutely ridiculous, but I think its going to get solved in SA right?

I'm interested in the game not because of zombies, but because it's the best survival simulator I've ever seen. I've never played a game that feels this real psychologically - the stress and difficult decisions you have to make really foster a genuine experience. I say make it as real as possible.

To me, things like blood bags, eating food and being instantly healed are more of a compression of time - in reality you could rest, eat, sleep, heal for months with the help of friends before you're 100%. But that just isn't practical in a game, and it's here that you are forced to part with reality, compress time, compress the actions you have to take so that it's practical as a game. You just have to decide where these points are.

Personally I think it would be really cool if the aircraft lying around at the airfields required expert knowledge to fly.

• Like 3

I've often thought the world could do with a good zombie apocalypse...get rid of the riff raff and all that. There'd probably still be QQing about OP .50 cals and unrealistic parts of video games.

I'm sure most people would love having their leg shot off. Crawling with 2 km/h until you can find a wooden leg. I would love that.

I'm sure most people would love having their leg shot off. Crawling with 2 km/h until you can find a wooden leg. I would love that.

Because it's realistic to get your leg blown off, find a bandage patch that shit up, then proceed to crawl 2km to stick a peg leg on your fresh stump.

Well this is not a rant thread about wanting to remove something because its overpowered(still a rant) but rather a collection of opinion on what features of the mod is killing realism. I'm not talking about extreme mega ultra hardcore realism like perma-death but rather things that are just silly to have and do in a zombie apocalypse or just real life in general.

(Note: Some of this are probably gonna be fixed/ removed on the standalone but we are just talking about the mod as it currently is).

/Rant/

Here are somethings that really kills it for me:

-.50 cals

I know this is being fixed but really? Is it really possible for a civilian to use an extremely powerful weapon with extreme efficiency just to hunt unarmed people on the beach?._.

Well the ranting is valid but also it might be the ranting of an upset player beeing shot near the coastal towns because he doesn't bother going inland.

-Flyable helicopters

Same issues as a 50. cal, is everybody in Chernarus a pilot now?

Well everybody can also do all things as if he was doing it for a hundred years...it's not just limited piloting or shooting. Remember: This is the Matrix...

-Unlimited stamina

Pretty much speaks for itself, in the mod, we can sprint like Usain Bolt for hours without tiring.

Well you get tired, you just don't collapse....yet

-Humanity system

Hurr durr, I killed someone, a towel and a baclava will automatically be put over my head so I will be an automatic target for anyone with a brain._.

If you actually read why it's there...

-Blood bags

In the mod, I can find un-refrigerated blood bags, use it without facing risks of infections and boom, back to normal, I'm automatically healthy.

The player is immune to the zombie virus...dirty blood doesn't matter.

-Third person

Oh someone is shooting at me? Better use my astral projection power shit so I can see behind my physical body and be able to find my hunter easily without risks of being shot._.

I have a camera mounted on a pole sticking out my ass...no really it's annoying to me, too. Let's see what rocket has done when the SA is released.

-Lack of animals

I guessed most of them are abducted by aliens since most of them doesn't even leave a corpse behind.

Eaten by zombies...or probably ran away or shot by people hiding in the bushes with AS50s?

-Lack of vehicles(not necessarily working ones)

This just means one thing, many people escaped the apocalypse with their vehicles, if that's the case, then why are there so many freaking infected people everywhere? I can imagine, the panic caused by the outbreak would create traffic jams everywhere especially in the cities.

Maybe the Chernarussian population didn't have than many vehicles to begin with...ever rhought about that? This is not some wealthy industrial country where anyone can afford two or more cars...

-Cities are too safe

I know if shit hits the fan, the city will be the number 1 thing/hazard to stay away from, due to you know, its large population which the majority of is most likely infected? But the opposite seems to happen in DayZ. When spawned, most people automatically sprints towards the city to kill each other when in fact, the complete opposite would've happened in real life.

I want to play on the server you have been playing...never ever seen a safe Cherno and Elektro...ever.

-No knock-back effects when shot

It doesn't automatically means, you die instantly when shot unless hit on a vital part like the head. But its just annoying to see survivors being shot yet only blood spurts seems to indicate that. Any guns with higher ammunition than a 9mm should be able to make you fall, first shot even if you're in the strongest body armor due to the impact.

DayZ blood levels are wrong considering the damage weapons do...in ArmA the damage is perfectly fine.

-Lack of gore

Yup blood spurts, come on! real wounds/bulletshot are more brutal than that, especially high caliber guns. Not necessarily GodOfWar level of brutality. Something like VBS2 2.02 would be great(Been suggested on another thread and I'm really fond of it).

While sometimes body will be sent flying it depends on the force which the weapon delivers into the body. Most of the time they just twitch and down they go...that's how unspectacular death is...not the Hollywood BS you see in the movies.

I like that damage model btw...

/Rant over/

I guess this is very demanding for some, but really, unrealistic things just don't fit into a game where you use the stars to navigate and has frequently been regarded as a "Zombie apocalypse simulator" or an anti-game.

Edited by Enforcer

Hello there

Anything from VBS2 will make me a happy bunny.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 1

-Blood bags

The player is immune to the zombie virus...dirty blood doesn't matter.

Un-refrigerated blood would be effectively dead. You're basically pumping yourself full of liquid rot after anything more than a couple of days.

Recipe for disaster.

I don't think the zombie "infection" is going to be the biggest risk.

EDIT: Format

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

I never understood people's desire for thing to be more 'realistic'. I like an immersive, authentic (as someone else said) experience also - but I never want it at the expense of the game being fun or playable.

As someone else pointed out, many of these elements are there for time compression and convenience.

I couldn't imagine this playing without unlimited stamina. Cars are sparse, time consuming to repair, and easy to destroy. And they certainly make you a target. The maps are fairly large, on foot it takes time, even at a full sprint. Zombies, being just as fast if not faster, can sometime take time to lose. Especially if you are out in the open with few trees an no buildings.

The other thing is the 3rd person. I know some people hate it, some call it cheating etc etc. I prefer it. In first person, there is no sense of spatial recognition, narrow field of vision and it's just plain annoying to be stuck in that view the entire time. This is one that I think should be left as a server-side option.

The blood bag thing.. sure, I suppose they could just change the containers they spawn in.

Helicopters... sure, I see your point. But if and when you can get one.. they are just plain fun.

No knock-back effects from bullets? That's only in hollywood movies. I won't bother explaining any of the physics, but there is plenty of information online. Bullets do not cause knock-back. Nor do they often drop someone after a single shot (especially from smaller calibers), unless of course it was a kill shot - head, heart, vital organs.. you get the picture.

I guess in summation, my point is this. We play games as a break from real life. I certainly do not want to get on and worry about walking 10 clicks to the nearest food/water point. Or waiting three days to recover from an injury/infection. And any adjustments should be server side options. Want first person only, no reticle, higher damage? Join server A. If not.. join B. Easy and satisfies the most people. No game ever wants to a chore to play by being too real.

• Like 2